• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

The Treatment of n00bs

Status
Not open for further replies.
i believe that the treatment of n00bs is fairly harsh
if you were in their situation would you like being banned from the site. maybe the n00bs should only be banned for a week, but forever is a long time.
most newbies look at their profile and it says posts 0
they try to get up their posts but every newbie must have trouble settling down to a new forum.
then they get warnings but no where on the site does it say anything about loosing the title. so they get stuck with the title. then they try to be more careful and get a second warning then the newbie would stop and think "maybe i shouldn't say anything"
everybody has a right to be heard and to say what they think is right, isn't that true?
its not like they were swearing all the time no newbie would dare swear or they would face n00bety.
its often the masters that swear on the site but they dont get n00b'd do they?
i think that the masters are too harsh on the newbies and pretty much everybody below them.

Considering that that's a racial slang and the history connected to it, I'm batshit over it, too. People joke, and that's just for fun, but if some bastard is being racist purposely they might as well be the scum of the human race and get a shovel to the face.

Now, n00b is nothing like that. It's no different than calling someone a moron, it's just one of the many fancy internet word that's come into being over the years. If you don't like it, don't be an idiot :p

How is hating racists any different than being racist? Racists hate because they don't know anything about someone. You don't know anything about racists, having never been one yourself. For that matter, neither do I. So while getting upset over a word may be understandable, is it really affordable? Is there really any one word that's worth boiling up about? I would say no.

And once again Alex says something awesome.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
You'd have to be fairly naive to believe that all racists are racist because they just don't know any better. And yeah, I don't just sit back and shrug it off when people around me are being hurt by someone's ignorance. It's not 'just a word' to some people. Look into the history of why it exists at all and you'd see that.

But I'm not going into some big long rant over this. Nigger =/= n00b. It shouldn't be that hard to see why.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
its not like they were swearing all the time no newbie would dare swear or they would face n00bety.
its often the masters that swear on the site but they dont get n00b'd do they?

Oh look, what's this? In the rules forum? Why, it'd be a whole single topic dedicated to the fact that swearing is not an offense unless used moronically.... wow. How'd that get there?

I Mostly agree with most of the post here that saying about the treatment of Newbies...First of all..if you are a newbie, it does say at the first board, Clearly-"Read The Rules Before you do anything" And they do deserve the punisment, but another chance. But whoever siad that were imature for useing the word nOOb...There mistaken, they way they think is-

"OMG!, Its a nOOb!, He's a newbie!, HAHA!"

And this, is what i think were trying to say at pokecharms-

"We gave you three chances, but it still proves that your a noob, but we will give you another chance when you learn."

And that's what i think

i pity the fool who uses the "N" word. *a mohawked cookie for anyone who gets that reference*

seriously, if you DO use that word on this site, it is offensive to anyone who has dark skin, or is of african descent, so it should be DAS-BOOTed on sight. in my opinion.

[/slightly off-topic]

the treatment, as is, may be fairly strict, but it is appropriate. 3 strikes you're out, and that's that. simple, yet effective. hopefully. if it isn't effective, then the mods/admins may need to be even stricter, however unfortunately.

Well, it's just n00bs who deserve the treatment that they recieve. Why? Because day talk lik dis, spamin da forums, an hav no valu 2 da comute. It drives me CRAZY when people don't take the time and make a decent post. They NEED to be stowed away until they learn how to be decent members.

Some of the noobs who are on this site (like me) could have lvl 100 pokemon in the games.
So, if you base it on game wise, everyone would be high ranking and no one would be called a noob.
Though I do know the rules of the forms by heart.

Well... there is a differrence between a newbie and a n00b. Newbie being just someone new to the site.. and n00b being.. well you know... ^^;

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Not only that is irrelevant to the thread, we're specifically talking about N00bs here. NOT newbies.

Kindly read threads before replying to them. Warning 2. Tread lightly, Celina. Tread VERY lightly.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Some of the noobs who are on this site (like me) could have lvl 100 pokemon in the games.
So, if you base it on game wise, everyone would be high ranking and no one would be called a noob.
Though I do know the rules of the forms by heart.

Anybody can have level 100 Pokemon. That really doesn't prove anything, especially since n00bs range across every area of the 'net.

If you want to call yourself a n00b, tho, go ahead, but newbies =/= n00bs. How many times does that need to be repeated before its driven into everyone's skulls?

i pity the fool who uses the "N" word. *a mohawked cookie for anyone who gets that reference*

seriously, if you DO use that word on this site, it is offensive to anyone who has dark skin, or is of african descent, so it should be DAS-BOOTed on sight. in my opinion.

[/slightly off-topic]

the treatment, as is, may be fairly strict, but it is appropriate. 3 strikes you're out, and that's that. simple, yet effective. hopefully. if it isn't effective, then the mods/admins may need to be even stricter, however unfortunately.

Any word can be offensive to someone. My debate friend Lisa fumes at the word "Stereotype". Even when I said "cunt" once she didn't twitch at all but as soon as I said "stereotype" she raged and ranted at me for an hour. The point is that unless specifically used to be offensive, the word is permitted here. As an example, in generality one would hold the strong opinion that the word Fuck is generally and highly offensive. But unless used to be made offensive, most members of this board will ignore it. The word "nigger" is no different. It is, in and of itself labeled an offensive word but can be used in a way as to not directly insult or demean someone else.

So I'm not restricting my vocabulary at all until the rules change and require me to do so. I will, of course, not ever directly attack another member with my words -- hereby following the already laid guidelines. I know, I'm kind of an annoying bastard that way...

But I have digressed to the point of absurdity in which my point was so utterly lost upon your brow. Let us move then, back to the original topic of the night forthwith I will lose this ridiculous Edgar Allen Poe impression adopted hitherto.

Noobs should be ignored outright in my opinion. I know I said it before but even with the vast quantity of noobity on this forum, the moderators seem to have a great handle on them and so I think that us normal members should just glance over their posts.

And as an off-topic appendage; Linkachu, I have a question. What the heck is " =/= " It looks like "equal to divided by equal to"? I'm a programmer so I may have missed some context in which it is also normally used among non-mathematicians.

=/= is !=,or "Not equal to"

as for your speech.theres a flaw in it.A sterotype is a term or referance that is used to describe an entire group of people.The "N" word is not a sterotype,its a racial slur.it is more of an insult,not neccesarily a way to describe said person.

=/= is !=,or "Not equal to"

as for your speech.theres a flaw in it.A sterotype is a term or referance that is used to describe an entire group of people.The "N" word is not a sterotype,its a racial slur.it is more of an insult,not neccesarily a way to describe said person.

I never said "nigger" is a stereotype. Try reading my post next time.

And aha. I see, =/= is supposed to resemble != (pronounced bang-equal)

I never said "nigger" is a stereotype. Try reading my post next time.

And aha. I see, =/= is supposed to resemble != (pronounced bang-equal)

There really isn't a "good" time to say the word then,because of the fact a good majority are affected by it

also,most people are more acceptable of curse words as u said than racial slurs.I'm not a big fan of sterotyping either,but i would have to see the rant to understand exactly why the word itself bothers her

My point is you can't go through life treading on eggshells in fear of offending or hurting others. Sure, don't actively pursue these things but don't spaz about restricting yourself either. I'm assuming that's why the forum's rules are as they are. If someone takes quarrel to a word not directed at themselves then they have insulted their own self by accepting it as a label (and a negative one at that) for their self. I expect that, once again, my point will be lost here and my words are but fleeting ghosts of departed keystrokes.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Fact of the matter is that the rules forbid flaming and racism. It is enough that some people find the usage of this word offensive on an ethnical background that marks it as wrong for usage - this isn't your generic swear-word here, bub. This kind of talk can get you killed if unleashed near the wrong people.

Trying to sound smart and 'rationalizing' your usage of this word does not make it less derogatory and/or offensive for some people. And from your words, it sounds like you're basically trying to tell anyone who isn't of the offended group to mind their own business - as if you say that they have no right to attempt to prevent the feelings of others from being hurt by one person who thinks it's okay.

But the point of the matter is this - these are the rules. You have a problem with that? Fine. Look for a more appropriate place to say your 'just-a-word's. Otherwise, 'Charms has no place for this form of stupidity.

This kind of talk can get you killed if unleashed near the wrong people.
How astute of you. What a wonderful logical fallacy; appeal to fear. Whether or not someone should be afraid to heed my argument does not make the argument itself any less sound.

[quote author=StellarWind Elsydeon link=topic=858.msg21315#msg21315 date=1181223478]Trying to sound smart and 'rationalizing' your usage of this word does not make it less derogatory and/or offensive for some people.[/quote]
Trying to sound authoritative and 'high-n-mighty' does not make you sound less demeaning towards regular members.

[quote author=StellarWind Elsydeon link=topic=858.msg21315#msg21315 date=1181223478]But the point of the matter is this - these are the rules. You have a problem with that? Fine. Look for a more appropriate place to say your 'just-a-word's. Otherwise, 'Charms has no place for this form of stupidity.[/quote]
Rules state that racism is not allowed. I have not once been racist at all. If I were, I'd have been warned by now. There are various meanings to all words, and as the user of those words, I am the sole person who is allowed to choose which meaning is communicated. Just as you are the sole person allowed to choose the meanings of the words you use. You can say "key" and mean one of fifteen different entries in the dictionary. If someone else takes it the wrong way, that's not my fault. It's quite obvious we're not going to get along.

How astute of you. What a wonderful logical fallacy; appeal to fear. Whether or not someone should be afraid to heed my argument does not make the argument itself any less sound.

I think the point that Stel was making was that the difference between n00b and different racial slurs should be apparent because one is more likely to get you killed if you use it around the wrong people. There is indeed a gradient of, uh, let's say, offensivity when you're using terms like these.

Depends on where you live. In my neighborhood, white kids are exactly the same as black kids. Blacks are honkeys here just as much as whites are niggers. (Or to be precise: honkehz and niggas. The pronunciation makes a world of difference where I live.)

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Appealing to logic seems to fail when the other person is so set in their opinion talking to them is just like talking to a wall.

How things are in YOUR neighborhood, Trevlac, has little effect on the REST of the world, and of OTHER people in OTHER places than YOUR neighborhood. You've 'gotten over yourselves', good for you. This makes some words open for interpertation for you? Good for you. It is not open to interpertation to others, and as long as it is considered an offensive racial slur by some people - it isn't open to interpertation here.

And frankly, sir Trevlac, I don't give a flying-type frell what you think about me sounding 'demeaning' towards regular members. When you find yourself dealing with tons of shite, spam and idiocy on a daily basis you tend to lose politically-correctness to a certain point. I can be an ass if I have to be, and I can be friendly and helpful if need be. It all depends on what people I'm dealing with. If people violate the rules, they must be dealt with accordingly. If anything seems open for interpertation, maybe we have to reword them more clearly so people who seem to lack common sense will be able to understand them.

If anything feels like it SHOULDN'T be in the rules for you? Well... The rules were established by this website's owner and people he trusts enough with the management of this community, and therefore any changes or amendments to them are entirely up to OUR judgement - and placing doubts in them is akin to placing doubt in the website's owner and staff. We reserve the right to be 'high-n-mighty' to people who deserve it. You don't like it? Fine. Go elsewhere.

IN ANY RATE. This discussion has derailed for too long. The offensiveness of what may be considered racial slurs has little to do with the treatment of n00bs as is, and therefore, I must demand that this foolishness shall now cease and desist.

I say that for every moderator(not regular members) there must be ton of n00bs, and they WON'T quit! I had to deal with my stupid little brother being a n00b to try to get me banned because he hates pokemon! Thank god they deleted his account and disabled registration for now! If I was in charge, I'd say 1 warning, then banned! Why give them a second chance if it's not worth it, and especially why give n00bs a third chance? It's a pain in the butt for the poor mods to have to deal with all these n00bs. I say no more "n00b who went too far"ing n00bs, just ban em after first warning!

I say that for every moderator(not regular members) there must be ton of n00bs, and they WON'T quit! I had to deal with my stupid little brother being a n00b to try to get me banned because he hates pokemon! Thank god they deleted his account and disabled registration for now! If I was in charge, I'd say 1 warning, then banned! Why give them a second chance if it's not worth it, and especially why give n00bs a third chance? It's a pain in the butt for the poor mods to have to deal with all these n00bs. I say no more "n00b who went too far"ing n00bs, just ban em after first warning!

though i feel a lot of admins are coming close to that, i believe it's a bit harsh. look at some of the first warnings. Take Ozzybeans for example. he's got one warning, and he's improving, and i haven't seen him do anything wrong since, or yet, for that matter, since i didn't see the original cause-of-warning. I think the warning system was optimistic thinking in the Doc's part, and there's nothing wrong with that.
the warning system is helping out the ones that want to contribute, and be good members, who make mistakes, instead of banning them outright.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
I think that three-strikes-and-you're-out is fair enough, as does Alex and the rest of the administration staff. Because sometimes a warning IS enough. Sometimes one isn't enough but two is. Either way, we have been given the mandate to strike furiously at anyone we think is beyond help.

Not only that is irrelevant to the thread, we're specifically talking about N00bs here. NOT newbies.

Kindly read threads before replying to them. Warning 2. Tread lightly, Celina. Tread VERY lightly.

I don't see how thats irrelevant when other people clearly went off track, and post racist remarks (even if it is an ex.) and she was clearly stating differences between newbie and noob, it still has something to do with this topic, i would say.

Noobs are people that haven't learned from their past mistakes and keep getting warned/banned and what else are we to do with except lock them in the closet til they learn from their mistakes which is hardly never.

I think that three-strikes-and-you're-out is fair enough, as does Alex and the rest of the administration staff. Because sometimes a warning IS enough. Sometimes one isn't enough but two is. Either way, we have been given the mandate to strike furiously at anyone we think is beyond help.
Good point. I agree with you there, and I've read about what Doctor Oak plans to do in the furute, but what is a n00b fakes their age and info to sign up? How would the admin know whether or not to approve the person? And what is that person was on a shared IP with another kind user, and the n00b won't stop spamming until the IP is banned?

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
NMR: It is irrelevant because it was already STATED what a n00b is, in the beginning of the thread, by the thread starter, and there's really no point to state the obvious just to get a post through.

Sarah888888 : I'm not sure about how Alex intends to enforce Age Limits either. But I believe that means such as this will serve to deter many fools and n00bs who aren't smart enough to fake their age. And deterring is half the battle in most cases.

I really don't know what to say in regards to shared IPs. >>

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
If you get IP banned because someone else on your connection is being an idiot and whatnot, blame them for getting you banned. Most admins will go further anyways and ban more than just IPs, so you're extra screwed. It's not a great situation, but it has to be done in order to control spam.

Anyways, again, this topic isn't about Charms' rules specifically, it's about n00bs in general. If people are gonna keep turning it into a rules debate, I'm going to lock this. It's not what I intended for, and honestly... it's getting really annoying >>

Edit: Just locked the thing. With registration reopened, I don't even want to think where this topic would go... so I'm killing it now to save myself the headache.

Status
Not open for further replies.