1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Mary Sue Test

Discussion in 'Pokémon Role Play Discussion' started by Sem, Jun 20, 2010.

1. Sem

Sem The Last of the Snowmen
    Former Administrator

Sem edit: Okies, since we have two of these I figure we should just merge the two into one superspecialawesome amazing topic of doom and despair.~

Ahem. SO. There's two different quizzes. Snapdragon's is aimed specifically at fictional characters that are pokeyman trainers. Fictional means they can be for either RP or a fanfic or both.

I will edit in a link, provided to us by Tatile who stole it from someone else. That's right. Stole. Anyway, the link takes you to a quiz that is more general and for characters who are not in the Pokémon Universe: your vampire/werewolf/warrior/persona/whatever character for example.

The link for the general test is here.

The following is Snap's original post which I shall leave in quote-forme. Snaps' quiz is for your Pokémon characters.

Both of these are good quizzes for determining how disgustingly perfect and godmoddy your character is.

Have fun.

#1 Sem, Jun 20, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2016
  2. Teapot

Teapot Virtual Duck Enthusiast
    Staff Member Administrator

Um... it'd help if you read the first post, as it tells you exactly.

-thwacks with a warning shoe-

3. Oh...sorry I couldn't see it.

4. arceus=100
    Mary sue= 50
    Overkill? What's that? Yes, kill it with fire...

5. I just had to take this test, I don't know why though...
    Sweet, I got three points! And I can justify each of the problems too!
    Lol, I had my friend take this test for her favorite Pokemon Character. She did not believe me when I said it was a Mary-Sue.
    ...She failed. With a total of about 74 points. Congrats to all who got Mary-Sue! Now slowly kill it with fire.

6. Oh thank god, my character's only a 3.

/phew

7. I tested two of my characters. Three for each! Making Sue's is not a skill of mine.

8. I cannot believe myself. Only one point. Is that even possible??

9. I have three or four...One thing is still being debated by me.

10. Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator

Technically speaking, Yoshi breaks 60 because he has Mew. However, that was happenstance and he didn't actively seek Mew out so I don't count it.

So yeah, Yoshi's not a PRP Sue.

He's not a Sue at all.

(He's not female, for one)

11. Looking at this Mary Sue test, I just realized that I've never evolved Kimzie's Pikachu before. Then again, that's only because I wanted to keep the joke that her Pikachu is smaller than the norm.

Kimzie has a Buneary back in her ranch with slight modifications from his Lucario father, like a Riolu tail and longer legs, so I didn't even bother with questioning that and added it to the score. So in total, whoo, Kimzie has a 12. Not too bad. Anything I had to ponder, I added to the score.

12. The test is WAY too long! Also, I am only 11, so I couldn't understand some words! HELP!!

13. Rex

Rex

12, 1, 0, 0, and 0...

It appears I shouldn't be worrying about my characters too much, in fact, the only reason Tony scored so high was because Jake had an odd coloration. Though to me 10 points seems a bit harsh for coloration, when there are so many other things that are a lot worse. All of my characters other then Tony can drive, but I didn't count that since none of them are younger then 25...

14. I couldn't syop laughing through this whole thing. I was gonna try a pokemon RP but after taking this test, the character that I made score 21... Back to the drawing board I guess TT_TT

15. ......there were matches but there were no point ratings for them so I got... 0! 8)

16. Okay, I've read over the posts in here trying to see if I could solve my own problem, but how in the world do you answer/score this test? I'm completely at a loss.

17. Every time you answer one of the questions, it's a point. Add up the points to get your total value, put that beside the bands at the bottom. Or just use the linked test that does it all for you, but is slightly more generic (can't for the life of me remember, oh wait yes it is generic).

18. Hah-hah! Benjamin Grey is NOT a Mary-Sue/Gary-Stu! Only two points. I thought ten points per region champion was a little bit harsh until I realised it meant if they were like Lance/Cynthia/Gary and battled wannabes, rather than just have battled the elite four and champion and won and got into the hall of fame.

19. Sem

Former Administrator

Erm. When you beat the Elite Four and the Champion, you become the new Champion. If your trainer can beat trainers like Cynthia and Lance then they ARE like Cynthia and Lance in terms of battling prowess.

#20 Sem, Sep 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2013
  20. ... Crud crud and double crud. Twenty-two points. I'll take out Hoenn so I only get an eight for Johto. Ben was officially saved from Gary-Stu-dom.

21. wow i only have 3 points
    (primarily because Jacob's Riolu has a Pokeball but hates to be in it)

22. Hmm, what do you know? My two medieval characters are sitting pretty at 2 (Fiona), and 4 (Arc). Not bad at all. ^_^

23. Shiny Lyni

Shiny Lyni 2016 Singles Football

I personally feel that if your characters are below 5, you might have to spice up your characters a bit so they're not /too/ boring. But that's just me~

Most of my characters scored somewhere between 2 and 11, though one of them had a 30... I'm so glad I stopped using her since 2008. XD

24. Touche. But said Mary-Sue test mainly applies to modern characters, considering the question. When I tested them on the Standard MS Test (the original one), Fiona scored a 6 and Arc an 8. Still not bad. Most of my characters tend to score anywhere from 4 to 10 points on said test.

25. Sem

Former Administrator

It should also be said that it's not necessarily bad if a character gets a "bad" score. It depends on the type of writer you are. If you can make the Mary/Gary work then that's fine. These tests are totally not gospel, and take them how you will.

#26 Sem, Sep 6, 2010
  26. Mmmhmm. You've also a good point, Sem. A good majority of the test is mainly just to see where your character stands, not to act as a restriction. Besides, look at the popularity of some Canon Sues. (Harry Potter, for example. I like his character myself, but he is still a Canon Sue no matter how you slice it.) Some authors can manage to make it work, some can't.

Even so, though, that shouldn't encourage anyone to go around making bluntly obvious Mary-Sues/Gary-Stus.

27. It's not a good way to write - people should be focusing on working with flawed characters as a way to build their writing and plot-progession. Of course you can still have a Mary-sue with flaws, it's just more uncommon with inexprienced writers. I'd say this tests are more like a nudge towards looking at your character and their personality than anything "set".

28. You've a point. Perfect characters are decidedly dull, and any character should have flaws that detract from them. Be it physical, personality, etc. Realism, even in non-human characters, is direly important. I like how you phrased your last line about the test, though. It's a good way to put the purpose of it.

29. 110 points!? My character isn't that annoying! I have to edit my character... :'(

#30 Louie Forest, Oct 19, 2010
  30. 14 points, and that was after some major tweaking... I think its ok because accourding to this test, Frank isn't a Gary-Stu, just a bit close to it. I think I can make him work without going overboard anyway. He would've only had a 4 if it werent for Fury's blue tail-flame anyways. :p

#31 The iFlare, Nov 26, 2010
  31. Redid the test, and got 3 points. Yeah!

32. Dwayna DragonFire

Dwayna DragonFire 2014 Little Cup Champion

When I took the general test, Dwayna was going into sue territory. ):

Here's what I got for my PokeMon characters.

Ame Wyxm: 11
    Aria Terra: 8
    Lily Masate: 3

33. Ok, so I changed Fury's tail flame to only turning blue when the Ability Blaze activates, the same way that SolarFlare's does. So can I take off those 10 points now? That way, Frank is only a 4 and not a 14.

#34 The iFlare, Dec 20, 2010
  34. I started up a PRP and took the test with Timothy, my main character. He only scored about 1-3 points, but a couple of those points are debatable. Then again, I'm still developing Timothy's character, so the score may change over time. Also, now I know what kind of characteristics to avoid.

35. So far, at the beginning of my fan-fic, Athena scored a two! Hooray!

36. That was funny. I thought I'd be a Mary-Sue 'cause Jeenso's a telekinetic (her entire family is, so it comes from genes) but I only got three points. :3 I think I should've gotten, like, 8 or something, though...

37. I just want to say that this test, really isn't the end all be all to sue stuff. It covers Pokemon related topics and whatnot. No Sue test is accurate, you have to judge it yourself. Of course it wouldn't say something like 'does your character have super abilities' or whatever. It's more of a guideline XD

It's up to you to try and not make your character too far fetched, not a test. ♥

On another note, running my character through this, he's sort of boring. Mind, I haven't fleshed him out at all, and I need to think of a personality and all for him.

38. I haven't got any RP-char on this forum yet, but I did the test anyway if I decided to start roleplaying here. Score = 1. :D

39. i got 6!!! WOOTNESS! hes a gym leader so...and his name is my name.....his eyes change colour to mood, and something else! my character seems quite good!