1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Mary Sue Test

Discussion in 'Pokémon Role Play Discussion' started by Sem, Jun 20, 2010.

1. I didn't really count, but I know I scored high. I've made multiple characters (in my head not in writing yet) and ALL of them have alternately colored pokemon. In fact, in my version, not two pokemon look exactly alike. If you have 2 golden labs sitting next to each other, you could see that they don't look EXACTLY the same. Why do pokemon? My Blastoise has green eyes and is bigger than most. My Raichu is smaller and color is more saturated. And yes, my Umbreon has oddly shaped purple makings and evolved from a shiny Eevee. I think I can pull it off because my main character (in existing an region) isn't that special.

We do KINDA share a name. I'm Megan Sher'ee Chidester and she's Sher'ee Chestnut, and I did base her off me. But I also based twos other off me too. My bad-ass side and my somewhat of an alter-ego.

I still don't know if I'll ever write this fanfic, but still

2. 14 points. Not to shabby.

3. Well, Ryan is a 13, but only cuz of Medicham being shiny and having black markings. Meh.
    *shrugs*

4. Green Dragon

Green Dragon Formerly supertrainer300

Yey! My character I'm making for my very first PRP ever is only a three! Time to set up a bio!

5. Shiny Lyni

Shiny Lyni 2016 Singles Football

6. Green Dragon

Green Dragon Formerly supertrainer300

Wait I just realized. . . Martin's a 5 if you count that his Grandpa's dead, though it's never mentioned.

7. I got 7. thats good ^.^ I cant believe some of these answers actually happen.

8. Cool. The redux of my original PRP Character only scored 8. I'm sufficiently happy with this.

9. Jhan Garc

Jhan Garc Formerly AkenabeShiro

I got a 7. Hanzo's never been skillful,but he has a pretty good singing voice.

The iFlare likes this.
  10. Either 25 or 0...

11. My character got 2 points.Wow!

12. Cassie scored an 8, but that was because the 'being champion of a region' had a whopping 6 points. I wasn't sure if I could count it, because although she did technically defeat the Sinnoh League and Champion, she declined the title and went back to traveling instead. (She challenged the League just to get her retired Veteran Trainer mother off her back) But, just to be fair, I counted it anyway. The other two points were that she had a telepathic Ninetales (though to be fair, in the anime, Brock did encounter a telepathic Ninetales), and she happens to be multi-talented (she just picks things up very quickly, though, it's just to the point of being able to do it, and not necessarily mastering it in the first try. She does like trying lots of things, since she mostly travels for new experiences).

However, I do think that there is more to an interesting character than what they look like, what powers they have, and how special their Pokemon are. What really makes a character interesting for me, is their personalities and how they interact with others and their Pokemon. Their quirks and trademarks. That's what makes Cassie interesting, so, without the six points from being Champion, she would've scored a frigging 1 because she is just one of a million other ace trainers in the world. (It took her nearly a decade to get to her position of Ace trainer so I think it's fair)

So, give characters all the powers and tragic backstories and special Pokemon you want, but without a solid personality that can organically grow over time, they're still bland characters.

#53 PentheWonderful, Nov 4, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
  13. I got 21 on the universal one. At first I was like :"YES! Pulled the clutch baby!" But now I am scared to do anything to not go over 21. Then I tried doing the pokemon one and I got 9. Leaf, you crazy serperior...you made me grow a few white hairs XD.

#54 Leaf17, Apr 14, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
  14. 0?!?! B-but how is this even possible?!?! *faints*

15. What's funny is I see people being happy over threes and fours, when that's risk of being under developed. Also, mary sue is probably a bad term to ee using. If a character is a sue is completely subjective, and based off the person, so a good objective word to use would be something like "godlike." You guys use the term sensibly and well, but I can't get the instant reaction out of my head that whenever people use the term Mary sue they are a bad critic. It's just developed in my mind into being the kind of critique used by 4chan and Gamergate.

Anyway, my character lily got a 7, and although I haven't used her in any stories, having only been on pokecharms a single day, I think that's an accurate score. I'd be actually happier with an 8 or 9.

16. My character Deo got -9001...somehow. I-I don't even...what?

Naw, in actuality he got 13. Since owning a shiny is the only thing keeping him from the dangerously-low anti-sue score of 3 (Although I consider him fairly developed), I'm comfortable with it. (Even though I question why owning a shiny is worth more than being a friggen regional champion.)

17. 0 on both characters that I tested. Thank goodness.

18. -3 points on my Team Rocket character who is still being worked on. Okay then?

19. 3 Points, Yeh! Achievement Achieved,

20. well I have an 84..... I suck

21. I've got a lot of characters to make and rate, best get to it. 1 down, 7 to go.

Danielle got a 0, though I don't think she'll be 'boring' or anything.

22. Ummmm I don't think my scores were very accurate on 4 of my newest roleplayers.

Rose the lopunny got a 29 I am not so happy about it but kinda relief it didn't go over 30.
    Blade the Excadrill got a 200 I fainted. Doesn't he takes a very risky path to save others?
    Im not gonna be using blade
    Eclipse the Umbreon got a 34
    Sunshine the espeon got a 6

Me: .......

23. Roi De La Nuit Sans Fin~

Roi De La Nuit Sans Fin~ Previously Prince Noir

#65 Roi De La Nuit Sans Fin~, Dec 31, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  24. I kinda have to object to the 'stronger than other Pokemon of it's species' thing, because A) all humans aren't the same fighting strength B) IVs and C) Ash Ketchum's pikachu is the most overpowered pikachu I've ever seen. You ever tried using thunderbolt on a Latios? It doesn't do that much. Or used thunderbolt on an Onix?

25. Some of this is just ridiculous.
    Why in the world is owning a shiny worth almost enough points to go out of said "safe zone" on it's own?
    Why do all Pokemon have to look the same? Real animals have variations.
    Why is beating a regional league so awful here when people think Ash is an awful character because he HAS'NT beaten any?
    I know it's not set in stone or anything, but I just have issues with some of it. :/

That said, my new RP character got like a 4. But that's because I haven't gotten around to making his team yet.

I didn't bother finishing the test for Blue even though he's the main char of my personal fic because he's a Gym Leader and Champion but that's not even my fault. :(

Sorry for the long winded post, this just got me a bit worked up '^^

SOTNGaming likes this.
  26. Woot woot! Only 13 points!