• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

DPPt/HGSS The Generation Transition Challenge

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Diamond and Pearl are getting tantalisingly close. Only a few of us will be playing it as soon as it hits Japanese shores (And lik-sang's warehouse) but D/P's launch is a universal thing as it gives official birth to the 4th Generation of Pokemon.

The 3rd Generation has been impressive. We may be blazé about it now, but you consider back to this time 2002, would you have expected a Red and Green remake (essentially a new set of adventure games, kept within the 3rd Generation by the fact they were remakes, not a continuation), a third game to Ruby and Sapphire as well as Pokemon's first ever 3D adventure, not once - but twice. Not to mention Pokemon Channel for the kids and a really rather large amount of Pokemon DS games for a system that's only been out a year and a half (Dash, Mystery Dungeon, Ranger, Link/Trozei)?

I think it's safe to say, especially with Battle Revolution following so hotly on the heels of Diamond and Pearl, that the 4th Generation will see a similar amount of activity - and I for one welcome it.

But it's not here yet, so let's give the third gen - the most expansive generation of the lot - one last hurrah. And how do we do that?

By training the shit out of them.

To all our benefits, Diamond and Pearl will allow us to transfer Pokemon over from the GBA games - which means that everyone can sit back in these waiting months and prepare Pokemon specifically for the transfer.

The challenge is simply to train yourself up a team of six Pokemon. The catch is that they all have to be trained to level one hundred - though I'm sure QQ wont find this too difficult.

You can, if you wish, cheat using Emerald and simply Rare Candy your way to the top and then correct the EVs using berries and vitamins. I'm not really interested in how you get to level 100, just that you do.

Every Pokemon must have a hold item, and each item must be different.

All Pokemon must know 4 attacks and can only use attacks they actually learn. No sharking :p

Each team may consist of one 'uber', classified as any of the following Pokemon:

Snorlax, Blissey, Chansey, Dratini, Dragonair, Dragonite, Larvitar, Pupitar, Tyranitar, Bagon, Shelgon, Salamence, Beldum, Metang, Metagross, Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres, Raikou, Suicune, Entei, Regirock, Regice, Registeel, Mewtwo, Lugia, Ho-oh, Latios, Latias, Groudon, Kyogre, Rayquaza, Mew, Celebi, Deoxys, Jirachi (I MAY have forgotten to list an uber, please let me know if I did, and understand that they aren't allowed).

You can only use one of each species of Pokemon or line of evolution in your team. So no teams full of Charizards or no teaming up of a Charizard and Charmeleon etc.

You have quite some time to complete this challenge, as the final deadline is the European release of Diamond/Pearl, though please don't simply ignore this topic until then - starting now and finishing/refining later is encouraged.

The purpose of this is to prepare a small Pokecharms Tournament for when D/P are fully available and we can all take them online. The overall winner will get some suitable treat at the time.

Oh, and if you already have some Pokemon trained, or are training them, please do not use them. I want people to be using Pokemon trained from scratch - either from caught in the wild or from hatching.

Post your progress/comments/ideas here, this topic will be stickied until the tournament can begin some time next year. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm..I'm definately into it. Sounds like a great idea. And since summers already started I'll have plenty of time to do so.

I, personally, don't think any Legendary's should be aloud at all though. Just cuz I hate them so......

and...why are Dratini, Dragonair, Bagon, and Shelgon ubers??

I just got a copy of Leaf Green a couple of days ago, and I am training those Pokemon currently. Do they count, since i started training really close to when this was posted?

Heh, you guys are gonna beat the crap outta me. XD I never got the hang of EV training, so my Pokemon are gonna have some sub-par stats... Right now, my party's sitting at:

Istanbul (Dragonair, female)
lv. 31
Dragon Rage, Twister, Thunder Wave, Shock Wave

Yugoslavia (Snorlax, male, Thick Fat) @ Leftovers
lv. 31
Headbutt, Rock Slide, Rest, Yawn

Argentina (Victreebel, male)
lv. 31
Giga Drain, Acid, Cut, Sleep Powder

Qatar (Hypno, male)
lv. 33
Psychic, Headbutt, Confusion, Hypnosis

Vatican (Pidgeot, male)
lv. 36
Fly, Wing Attack, Quick Attack, Featherdance

Trinidad (Blastoise, male)
lv. 36
Surf, Water Pulse, Bite, Strength

Now, these movesets are far from final, but that's the team I want to work with. I'll probably be rebreeding some of them to get egg moves, but other than that... yeah.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
If you never got the hang of EV training, we can help ;)

Every Pokemon listed with locations and what EVs you can get off 'em. Have that handy and even in trainer battles you can EV train by switching out/in the right Pokemon.

Anyways, I'm totally in, but it'll be awhile yet before I put some major thought/time into this. I actually do have a team of six Pokemon waiting to be hatched and trained... I think it has both Snorlax and Larvitar, though, which would be a no-no for these rules. Ah well. I'll work around it 8)

... And by that I meant plan a new team, not cheat :p

...would you have expected...a third game to Ruby and Sapphire...?

Um...I'ma go with...yes.

[quote author=Doctor Oak link=topic=973.msg6122#msg6122 date=1150422259]
The catch is that they all have to be trained to level one hundred - though I'm sure QQ wont find this too difficult...Oh, and if you already have some Pokemon trained, or are training them, please do not use them. I want people to be using Pokemon trained from scratch...[/quote]

:'(

That's okay. I still haven't trained any of my XD Pokémon. I'll use some of them...but you don't know which! Bwahaha!

Sem

The Last of the Snowmen
Former Administrator
Interesting. I think I will do this. Great idea. Now to think of a team....

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
I just got a copy of Leaf Green a couple of days ago, and I am training those Pokemon currently. Do they count, since i started training really close to when this was posted?

I'll let you away with that, yeah.

And I excluded the entire lines, not just the final evolutions for the ubers. Just in case anyone felt like being sneaky. :)

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Ooo. Question. Will this be a 1 on 1 tournament only, or 2 on 2 as well? 'Cause 1 on 1 and 2 on 2 movesets (and the teams themselves) can differ quite a bit and I'd like to know which I should plan for. I could make two teams even if I knew we'd be having tournaments for each.

And I'm thinking I might have something to throw in as a prize if it'll trade through to D/P properly. We'll just have to wait and see.

Psh, why don't you add Yanma to that über list while you're at it? None of those other "über" Pokémon have anything special about them.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Psh, why don't you add Yanma to that über list while you're at it? None of those other "über" Pokémon have anything special about them.

A team made up entirely of Snorlax, Blissey, Salamence, Metagross, Tyranitar and Dragonite would argue with that. Not to mention be extremely boring.

They're not excluded, just limited to prevent such teams.

Why would you exclude the entire lines of some of the ubers? It's not that hard to beat a Dratini or a Larvitar... and if someone wants to make a team of 6 Beldums, more power to 'em, you know what I mean?

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Nah, that's just standard tournament rulings. The different hold items, different Pokemon, etc. just keeps things creative.

But again, those very few Pokemon on the uber list are not excluded, they're limited. It's really not that restrictive all considered, so I'm kinda unsure what the big problem is. There are, after all, 386 Pokemon out there =/

I just don't like the way they get treated specially. I've got 214 fully evolved and trained Pokémon at my displosal, and I don't favour any of them. I see Pokémon like Rayquaza as just another Pokémon, and none of my Pokémon are more important than others. Some of those Pokémon, like Celebi or Tyranitar, I wouldn't even give a second thought if I came across one in battle; they're nothing special to deal with.

But...I don't make the rules. :-\

Nah, that's just standard tournament rulings. The different hold items, different Pokemon, etc. just keeps things creative.

But again, those very few Pokemon on the uber list are not excluded, they're limited. It's really not that restrictive all considered, so I'm kinda unsure what the big problem is. There are, after all, 386 Pokemon out there =/

Naw, I was just curious as to why Pokemon like Beldum were being limited, considering a Beldum doesn't exactly pose a threat.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I just don't like the way they get treated specially. I've got 214 fully evolved and trained Pokémon at my displosal, and I don't favour any of them. I see Pokémon like Rayquaza as just another Pokémon, and none of my Pokémon are more important than others. Some of those Pokémon, like Celebi or Tyranitar, I wouldn't even give a second thought if I came across one in battle; they're nothing special to deal with.

I see where you're coming from but I still disagree, and this has nothing to do with the rules. I may not have that many Pokemon trained but I have done a lot of battling against and with lots of different Pokemon, and some Pokemon do have advantages solely for their higher stats. Just check out the usual Netbattle teams to see what Pokemon people are constantly using. It's generally not a wide spread. You'll see the same few Pokemon over and over again, most of which are indeed Legendaries or other "ubers".

When I went through Mt. Battle on Colosseum I basically just used my Salamence to beat it. The rest of my Pokemon were more or less ignored because Salamence had speed and power over them. When Salamence happened to fail or hit a really bad match-up, I tended to send out Metagross because I knew it could take the hits when my others couldn't. I valued all of my Pokemon, but in a tight pitch the so called "ubers" really were the ones I relied on. Looking back to first gen, I felt dirty playing through the original Stadium games with Mewtwo because it made things so much easier.

So... yeah. I don't agree that no Pokemon has an advantage over another, and nothing will really convince me otherwise. Legendaries aren't invincible - they can be overcome with good strategies and team building - and some of them like Mew and Celebi aren't even all that strong, but they're still going to make things a heck of a lot easier when used correctly. Or so that's been my experience all these years of battling. Maybe it's just me?

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
And here's me thinking people would be happier that you can still use them as opposed to them being excluded completely as is the norm. :p

I don't want to be a whiner. The Battle Frontier doesn't let me use Pokémon I normally don't give the time of day either. It makes me feel sad for all those non-limited Pokémon; nobody cares if you use them. :'(

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
It makes me feel sad for all those non-limited Pokémon; nobody cares if you use them. :'(

Au contraire, the whole point of limiting those Pokemon is to make the less used Pokemon more appealing and thus make the teams more varied and interesting.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I don't want to be a whiner. The Battle Frontier doesn't let me use Pokémon I normally don't give the time of day either. It makes me feel sad for all those non-limited Pokémon; nobody cares if you use them. :'(

Well, there could be another rule about banning "underdog" Pokemon like Luvdisc, Dunsparce, Magikarp, Weedle/Caterpie, etc. Would that make you feel better? ;)

Well, there could be another rule about banning "underdog" Pokemon like Luvdisc, Dunsparce, Magikarp, Weedle/Caterpie, etc. Would that make you feel better? ;)

*sniff* A little. Maybe we could ban every Pokémon, offering equal rights and all that.

Chances are I wouldn't use those "über" Pokémon anyways. Just...bothers me is all. Whatever. My Dunsparce and Illumise will pwn j00 all.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Hmm... I want to restart a game for this comp., but none of the ones I feel like restarting allow egg trading early on (so whatever I picked would be boosted or Pokemon I'd be dropping later for my actual team).

I'll probably still restart Emerald. I already have a game going on Sapphire, my Ruby copy just doesn't get restarted (tis storage), and most of the Pokemon I want to use are non-Kanto.

Heheh... I think I know what at least three of my Pokemon will be. Possibly four. Chances are they probably don't even make a solid team, but meh. I'm pessimistic. I'm in this for the fun with the slight hope that I'll actually win XD

/ramble ramble

I think me and MarineMilotic will try this the only thing is I've never ever trained to L.V 100 before but I'll try, I mean what else I'm I going to do all summer ;)

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I think me and MarineMilotic will try this the only thing is I've never ever trained to L.V 100 before but I'll try, I mean what else I'm I going to do all summer ;)

While I've trained quite a few to 100, a lot of them from first Gen only got there because of rare candy or Pokemon Stadium's Dodrio GB thingie. Generally I get to the 80s and give up ^^;

Tip for anyone finding it tough to reach Level 100 (who doesn't have an AR :p):
Once you've finished EV training (check out the ribbon lady in Slateport's market to confirm it), trade your Pokemon over to XD/Colosseum or FR/LG for boosted EXP and just keep battling the highest leveled opponents you can find (ie. the top level of Mt. Battle in Scenario mode or the 2nd version of the Elite 4). Mt. Battle is a pretty good place to train IMO because you're cured after every battle. The Pokemon at the highest areas (91-100) are decent levels, too - between L. 58-60 on Colosseum's and L. 66-70 on XD's (making XD's the preferable of the two). If you haven't beaten it already on either game it'll take you a bit of time and energy to reach those high areas, but it's worth it ^^

Prof. Cinders

Mathemagician
Staff member
Administrator
Hm... The problem with doing this, is that I only have a choice of three games to use... And then there's this thing I have against rare candies... But what the hey. I'll give it a go. :p Now for the hunt for the GBA! *digs through heaps of exam-related books*

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Who said anything about using rare candies? You think I have 500+ or so lying around? :p

Nah, training all the way. Six times over.

Oi x.x

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Sorry, still qualifies as part of the evolutionary chain. Besides, that'd be incredibly boring to train wouldn't it? I'm sure people would get a lot more enjoyment from this by thinking of it more as a chance to try out new things with old Pokemon before they get left in the dust by the 4th Generation.

Sem

The Last of the Snowmen
Former Administrator
Bah, Sem finnally got all his eggs. >-< Incredibally tedious to get the right gender, ability, nature. Anyway, training to level 100... (Never been done before by me...) starts now.

*Prays that his team pwns you all.*

(Konbanwa! Remember me? ^_^;;)

Er...this challenge...seems...challenging for me, for a serious lack of a better word. Heheh.

But I'll try! I want some stuff to do! I think...I'll do the training on Fire Red and Ruby, since I've beaten the Elite Four on those. Of course, I'll have to juggle that with training two Pokemon for my Emerald team for the seventh badge, and I've never trained anybody to level 100 before, but I'll give it a shot...^_^;;

I might not participate in the tournament, though. I totally can't do EV shtuffs, breeding, abilities, etc., and I'd probably get pwned by Linku-san. And my TMs are kinda...depleted...I totally wasted them on Ruby. -_-;;

But I shall try my best! *salutes*

Okay. Im in. =] )) I think it would be best to try and not use ANY of the ubers and try and use the lesser used. It should be quite interesting.

Good morning pokecharms...

Im in... ^_^

Question, can I use my yanma? I only started training it a little while ago and its not even of a high level at the moment and seriously it took me so long to get the right nature, and trait it seems a waste...

Oh and im in japan 3 weeks after D/P release, so im getting a copy when im out there, fortunately I know enough japanese and (hopefully) enough pokémon to help me get through the game until an english version comes out...

Still, this competition sounds like fun, now I just have to think of a new team! ^_^

Prof. Cinders

Mathemagician
Staff member
Administrator
*realises RLRL joined* AAAAAAAH! YAY!

Anyways, I haven't actually got round to training yet, since I can't find my fire red game and my ruby game's nearly completed (well, Elite 4 completed anyway). XD's being massacred since I can't use my tv and the fan at the same time, so I'm pretty much stuck. Until I can find FR, or course.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Quick thought.... Wont they not obey? I mean they will be on lv100 or is everyone going to beat the last gym before the competition?

There's a good chance we'll have to have beaten the Elite 4 to access the trade-through function, so I don't think that'll be a problem. If we actually can trade through earlier like in G/S, tho, we'll work around it when the time comes.