• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

DPPt/HGSS The Generation Transition Challenge

Sem

The Last of the Snowmen
Former Administrator
I'm all for whatever we choose. So as soon as you think of an idea, you already know that Sem says "yes."

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
I'll make a final decision when the games are finally out and we have the 100% full picture. Chances are though, we may simply have to go for a simple tournament minus the Generational barrier.

I'll make a final decision when the games are finally out and we have the 100% full picture. Chances are though, we may simply have to go for a simple tournament minus the Generational barrier.

Is there any way we can somehow work out the general meaning of the competition-giving the third generation one last burst of playing before we're obsessed with DP? Like...ummmm...somehow...doing something...with the games...but honoring them...in a DP tournament?

I guess we could have a DP tournament using only Pokemon that were introduced during the third generation or earlier. I mean, there's going to be old Pokemon in the games, so maybe we could have a mini-tourney using only Pokemon catchable in the old games?

Um...-_-...yeah...I got nothin'...@_@

And I have not even started training a team with EVs or anything. Just been trainin' my super-bad Emerald team for the sole purpose of getting through the game...sheesh, those guys will so get pwned by the Battle Frontier (though they took on the E4 well...Wallace was bad, though...I had to challenge him three times...). So meh. I dunno. *shrugs* I'd probably not be able to enter a level 100 tournament anyways...I ish most lazy.

People figure it'll be easier to do now that the Global Trade option is available, but while I agree - as I told Alex - it'll still be time consuming. That also feels freakin' cheap too, IMO. But meh. If it'll help this comp survive, guess it's worth it.

My question is, with the added annoyance, are people still building their teams? At this point I'd almost rather use Alex's idea of training previous generation Pokemon on D/P (which now I agree much, much more with).

I guess you could always make it either-or: allow people who've already trained teams to use those and others to train directly on D/P. Just ban new moves and it'd more or less be the same (aside from some directly-transferred teams possibly needing moveset tweaking due to the Special/Physical attack changes).

Either way, need input!

That would motivate me to train again plus that way, we would be able adjust to the whole physical and special thing.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
LOL... Now I feel like an idiot for complaining ^^;

As stated by Coronis: "Oh, and seems like the criteria to fulfill the dex is just to 'meet' them all this time. Since the professor counts your encountered pokemons number instead of caught pokemons number."

:O

LOL... Now I feel like an idiot for complaining ^^;

As stated by Coronis: "Oh, and seems like the criteria to fulfill the dex is just to 'meet' them all this time. Since the professor counts your encountered pokemons number instead of caught pokemons number."

:O

So this would mean this tourni is kicked back alive? *Gets Emerald*

*sniff* A little. Maybe we could ban every Pokémon, offering equal rights and all that.

Chances are I wouldn't use those "über" Pokémon anyways. Just...bothers me is all. Whatever. My Dunsparce and Illumise will pwn j00 all.

Tch...if the Pokemon people finally decide to make a stinkin' Dunsparce evolution, then it would PWN EVERYONE!! Grr...Dunsparce is SO under-rated...If they made a super strong, mega, ultra powerful evolution, then everyone would remember that Dunsparce is a Pokemon again! It seriously needs an evolution...

Oh-and yeah, Ubers should be excluded from entry. It's all because of their stats, Quagsire. Everyone needs a fair shot, so that's how Oak's attempting to do it. I know what you mean that they're just like any other Pokemon you'd encounter and all that stuff you said earlier...That's kinda how I feel sometimes...

~wad11656/americanoob~

Last edited by a moderator:

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Yes, although I'll probably push it back to later in the year to give people a chance to get stuff done for D/P specific tourneys first.

Diamond and Pearl are getting tantalisingly close. Only a few of us will be playing it as soon as it hits Japanese shores (And lik-sang's warehouse) but D/P's launch is a universal thing as it gives official birth to the 4th Generation of Pokemon.

The 3rd Generation has been impressive. We may be blazé about it now, but you consider back to this time 2002, would you have expected a Red and Green remake (essentially a new set of adventure games, kept within the 3rd Generation by the fact they were remakes, not a continuation), a third game to Ruby and Sapphire as well as Pokemon's first ever 3D adventure, not once - but twice. Not to mention Pokemon Channel for the kids and a really rather large amount of Pokemon DS games for a system that's only been out a year and a half (Dash, Mystery Dungeon, Ranger, Link/Trozei)?

I think it's safe to say, especially with Battle Revolution following so hotly on the heels of Diamond and Pearl, that the 4th Generation will see a similar amount of activity - and I for one welcome it.

But it's not here yet, so let's give the third gen - the most expansive generation of the lot - one last hurrah. And how do we do that?

By training the shit out of them.

To all our benefits, Diamond and Pearl will allow us to transfer Pokemon over from the GBA games - which means that everyone can sit back in these waiting months and prepare Pokemon specifically for the transfer.

The challenge is simply to train yourself up a team of six Pokemon. The catch is that they all have to be trained to level one hundred - though I'm sure QQ wont find this too difficult.

You can, if you wish, cheat using Emerald and simply Rare Candy your way to the top and then correct the EVs using berries and vitamins. I'm not really interested in how you get to level 100, just that you do.

Every Pokemon must have a hold item, and each item must be different.

All Pokemon must know 4 attacks and can only use attacks they actually learn. No sharking :p

Each team may consist of one 'uber', classified as any of the following Pokemon:

Snorlax, Blissey, Chansey, Dratini, Dragonair, Dragonite, Larvitar, Pupitar, Tyranitar, Bagon, Shelgon, Salamence, Beldum, Metang, Metagross, Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres, Raikou, Suicune, Entei, Regirock, Regice, Registeel, Mewtwo, Lugia, Ho-oh, Latios, Latias, Groudon, Kyogre, Rayquaza, Mew, Celebi, Deoxys, Jirachi (I MAY have forgotten to list an uber, please let me know if I did, and understand that they aren't allowed).

You can only use one of each species of Pokemon or line of evolution in your team. So no teams full of Charizards or no teaming up of a Charizard and Charmeleon etc.

You have quite some time to complete this challenge, as the final deadline is the European release of Diamond/Pearl, though please don't simply ignore this topic until then - starting now and finishing/refining later is encouraged.

The purpose of this is to prepare a small Pokecharms Tournament for when D/P are fully available and we can all take them online. The overall winner will get some suitable treat at the time.

Oh, and if you already have some Pokemon trained, or are training them, please do not use them. I want people to be using Pokemon trained from scratch - either from caught in the wild or from hatching.

Post your progress/comments/ideas here, this topic will be stickied until the tournament can begin some time next year. :)

What the hecks an uber?!

Last edited by a moderator:

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Each team may consist of one 'uber', classified as any of the following Pokemon:

Snorlax, Blissey, Chansey, Dratini, Dragonair, Dragonite, Larvitar, Pupitar, Tyranitar, Bagon, Shelgon, Salamence, Beldum, Metang, Metagross, Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres, Raikou, Suicune, Entei, Regirock, Regice, Registeel, Mewtwo, Lugia, Ho-oh, Latios, Latias, Groudon, Kyogre, Rayquaza, Mew, Celebi, Deoxys, Jirachi (I MAY have forgotten to list an uber, please let me know if I did, and understand that they aren't allowed).

That kinda explains it by Alex's definition :p

Otherwise, read through the thread. It's discussed quite a bit.

*blinks* *read the rules* *blinks again*

Hey, yeah, it kinda does. T_T

It makes so little sense why you have to finish your Shino Dex before you can transfer/get the National Dex. Personally, the E4 seems like a perfectly acceptable way to keep the game "difficult" (unless the E4 isn't even halfway through the game or something), but meh...T_T Maybe the Shino Dex will be even smaller than the Kanto Dex...but that would make the actual game boring if they had nothing ingame after the main thing.

Sigh.

[/ramble]

It has Manaphy in it! How in the great blue sky will some of us get that?!
Groan, this would have been my first competition...
Plus, I don't think this is gonna work.
How would we have all got together for this competition in the first place? Please tell me! I never read the DS Lite instructions, only the instructions for the games! Could we just go with a D/P competition? Please tell me the answres!

Sem

The Last of the Snowmen
Former Administrator
... The Diamond and Pearl games are Wi-fi compatable, ..As long as your DS can connect to your internet connection you really don't have to go anywhere...