• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

DPPt/HGSS The Generation Transition Challenge

Sem

The Last of the Snowmen
Former Administrator
Well, all my pokemon are at level 50 as of now. I can now fight against the elite four with them.

*Mumble about how hard it is to train without the Elite Four in Ruby and Sapphire. Begins to ponder if his team stands a chance against the other people's teams.*

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Well, if you haven't read the latest news, you could be a little screwed:

Shigeki Morimoto reveals that Thunder Punch will be a physical attack, while Hyper Beam becomes a special attack — physical and special are to be set by attack, rather than by type as in previous games. He states that the battle system will be changed "dramatically".

As we're training to a competetive level here in many respects, this does present an interesting problem. People playing Netbattle this time next year wont necessarily have that big a problem with it, as they'll be creating Pokemon in it to the specifications of the new and established set up.

We, meanwhile may have to attempt to second guess what the final results of this change will be.

It's certainly going to make the challenge more interesting, but I expect a lot tougher at the same time. Might be advisable to stick to planning over the next 2 months unless you want to have to start all over again when D/P comes out and you find that your Thunderpunching Alakazam is all of a sudden usless. Lol.

Also, while this challenge is limited to only the 386 Pokemon available within the third Generation, I haven't yet decided about new moves for those Pokemon being used.

I can rule 'em out if people want, but I guess that's going to have to be up to public vote. With this attribute shakeup though it's likely that a lot of the older Pokemon will get revamped move-sets to compensate, not to mention new attacks to make up for the uselessness of older ones it's something that could become a big part of using older Pokemon in D/P so it's a bit of a tough decision.

My intepretation of that news would be that it would remain elemental, but have atributes of a physical attack, for example using thunderpunch on a sharpedo would mean you would suffer to rough skin's effect... So basically they are being more picky as to what an attack does rather than just looking at wether its type is physical rather than special...

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
It's pretty clear from what is said that Thunder Punch IS going to be Physical, Hyper Beam IS going to be special and other attacks will follow.

Interpetation over which attacks will change of course, but I don't really think there's any interpreting to be doing there.

My intepretation of that news would be that it would remain elemental, but have atributes of a physical attack, for example using thunderpunch on a sharpedo would mean you would suffer to rough skin's effect... So basically they are being more picky as to what an attack does rather than just looking at wether its type is physical rather than special...

Thunderpunch already DOES lead you to suffer from Rough Skin: it's what's called a "contact attack." Those are the attacks that trigger abilities in battle. It sounds like they're turning contact and non-contact into physical and special. So basically, all contact attacks will be powered by Attack and defended against with Defense, while all non-contact attacks will be powered by Special Attack and defended against with Special Defense. In fact, if they stick to this 100%, you already KNOW which attacks are going to change by whether or not they already count as a contact move.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
I doubt they'll stick to it 100%. For one thing, you need at least one exception to make a rule. For another, this is Gamefreak we're talking about. ^^

I'd say most would be predictable simply through what makes contact and what doesn't, so planning can still continue relatively unhindered. Though I can imagine some people suddenly changing their teams to make use of new advantages, such as a Crabhammering Kingler.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I can rule 'em out if people want, but I guess that's going to have to be up to public vote. With this attribute shakeup though it's likely that a lot of the older Pokemon will get revamped move-sets to compensate, not to mention new attacks to make up for the uselessness of older ones it's something that could become a big part of using older Pokemon in D/P so it's a bit of a tough decision.

I vote no newer moves on the older Pokemon for the purposes of this comp. We're supposed to be training them on the Advanced Gen games, so we wouldn't have the new attacks via leveling up anyways. Even if you could Move Tutor them on (or so I'd assume you could), I still think it should be only older attacks.

Thoughts from others?

I agree. Any leveling up and machine usage in Shino should be prohibited. If we're able to view opponent's Pokémon's summaries, we should see "Met in a trade" at the same level we're battling it.

Last edited by a moderator:
So for the last couple days Ive been training my team and.....

Its becoming a snore fest. lol..

ITS GOING TO TAKE A LOOOONG TIME...at least after level 60.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Well, that's perfect then, 'cause you have a LOOOOONG time to do it ;)

*Hasn't even started training yet :X*

I'm gonna take my own advice and use XD's Battle Mt. for it. If that seems to be taking too long, 2nd LG Elite 4 it is.

I can't find my emerald(OK seriously I lose my emerald all the time I don't get it!) and I'm becoming really lazy. sometimes when I see new pokemon and daimond and pearl info I get motivated but it's no longer working(probably because info and revealings have temporally stopped for now). Do you guys have any tips for motivation?

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Do you guys have any tips for motivation?

Blind leading the blind ;)

I haven't started seriously training either, but it's mainly because we have no idea when the games will be released here, I've been busy with other things, and I need that stressful push to get anything done. I'm a procrastinator, so why should this be any different? :p

I'll get it done, but I figure I have time to let it hang before getting deep into it. Besides, I want to finish the XD Battle Mt. for it, but at the moment XD is kinda... sorta... missing :X

I'm already getting started, because if I know me (which I hope I do), I'm going to get bored halfway through and waste a good two to three months. *finishes Pokémon number 1*

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
I got as far as deciding I wanted a Steelix.

.... That's it so far.

I'll keep you aprised of my progress as it comes along. ;)

Also, remember that you are going to have to train these Pokemon with current movesets etc but with a D/P strategy behind it. The whole Special/Physical thing is a pretty big shakeup and can radically change the powers of a lot of Pokemon. Failing to take that into consideration could leave you a bit buggered when we finally come to competing. ;)

Don't get me wrong I have started training just not all six.....the highest level is 50 for one of them. I only have 4 so far. This physical and special thing is going to make me re-think about movests isn't it. At first I didn't give it much thought but I guess I should huh? oh and Quagsire Quing I like Dunsparce ;)(I just wouldn't get one...)

I went out and bought emerald (like 2 weeks ago maybe)

But I'm still just now reaching 30.. I let my brother have FireRed and my GBA.. and now hes in the 50s.

So I may steal some from him >.>

But his pokemon are so lame. Lvl 50 Bedrill and Butterfree and Fearow, oo000ooo00oh

I caught 6 pokemon along those first few routes, and hes too lazy to train any others. And I watched his little history thing and he killed off Zapdos! >_< Doofus!

Anyhoo... This is just pointless spam. >xD

But be ready for the Kimi-Team! We're going to the ship!

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Ugh... I think someone at Gamefreak found out about this and decided they wanted to fuck it in the ass as much as possible:

In Continuation to the news yesterday, on further investigation, according to Coronis and kiera2 the scan seems to imply (although it does not actually say it outright, so this is not confirmed) that after you transfer the 6 from your GBA games to DP, you have to go to a nearby Park in the game and hunt them down and capture them with the Park Balls. It is unknown if they will be easier to capture (since many of the Pokemon likely transferred will be legendaries which have an incredibly low capture rate). This is yet to be confirmed but we will keep you aprised on this startling news development

So, looks like we'll have yet another difficulty in setting this thing up.

It may end up that we'll have to train in D/P but simply stick to using only attacks available in the third gen - which is a pain also, but possibly less of a pain than what it could be to transfer them over. We'll have to wait and see I guess.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I'd think it'd be a MUCH bigger pain if we have to train in D/P, because some people have already started training their teams. Everyone isn't going to be able to reach level 100 all that fast either, so if we did put things off until D/P was released it could be months before some people were ready to participate. We'd be better off going with a totally different tournament.

The transfering rumor doesn't seem all that bad IMO. It'd take a bit of extra work, but meh. We'd all learn to deal with it if we want to get the most out of our Advance gen Pokemon.

Since the info is still kinda sketchy, tho, I'm not getting too invested in it for now.

Ugh... I think someone at Gamefreak found out about this and decided they wanted to fuck it in the ass as much as possible:

So, looks like we'll have yet another difficulty in setting this thing up.

It may end up that we'll have to train in D/P but simply stick to using only attacks available in the third gen - which is a pain also, but possibly less of a pain than what it could be to transfer them over. We'll have to wait and see I guess.

What a waste of time plus if their all level 100 won't it be hard to catch them.

Sounds like they won't be level 100 at all. The reading I'm getting is that the transferring acts as a key to unlock the Pokémon in DP, but as new WILD Pokémon, without the items, movesets or levels we've all worked so hard on.

Prof. Cinders

Mathemagician
Staff member
Administrator
... Sounds like, if this gets all messy and evil, we might have to change the whole thing to a general D/P tournament... Not just using transfer pokemon. Which, yes, will probably take months before everyone's ready. *grumbles for a bit*

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Sounds like they won't be level 100 at all. The reading I'm getting is that the transferring acts as a key to unlock the Pokémon in DP, but as new WILD Pokémon, without the items, movesets or levels we've all worked so hard on.

But... doesn't that totally go against what they originally said? I thought we'd be able to use our trained Pokemon from the Advance gen games in D/P :p

Not that we've never been given wrong info before :p *Grumbles about XD*

And yeah, that would utterly shoot this tournament to hell. Now I'm definitely not doing anything more with planning until we get a solid answer... not that I'd done much to begin with XD

EDIT: On this "unlocking" thing. According to a CoroCoro article, they made it so you couldn't recapture your transferred Pokemon until completing a specific task to stop people from ripping through the games with powerful transferred Pokemon. That wouldn't be the case if we had to recatch them at level 5 or some other lower power form, though. The Safari-zone idea is confirmed, but that's all that seems to be.

I dunno which is true, but I'm hoping just having to recatch 'em is the most torture they put us through.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
So... with the latest news update, does this mean things are a-ok for us to continue this thing?

Cool...although, I still wish we could transfer our Pokemon back. But meh. *shrugs*

I guess...I'd better start...thinking of what Pokemon to train, and such. -_-;; That, and figure out a good way to EV train. Sigh...so much work to do before February...T_T

Will people kill me if I use a Starmie?

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Well, if there weren't enough problems already facing us, I have one more - and hopefully the final one - to throw onto the fire.

You cannot transfer your Pokemon across to D/P without having the National Dex - which you get by..... Completing the Shino Dex....

*sigh*

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I certainly didn't =/

Yeah... A nice incentive to complete your 'dex, but more or less kills this comp. Again.

Seems like the fates were against us from the get go ¬_¬

Prof. Cinders

Mathemagician
Staff member
Administrator
Oh well, we'll just have to work our fingers silly. Maybe another comp, like a race or something, first to get the National Dex wins? :p

Oh well, we'll just have to work our fingers silly. Maybe another comp, like a race or something, first to get the National Dex wins? :p

I'd lose. T_T I've never completed a Pokedex, much less the regional one, so...sob...

Maybe we could just have a competition of Shinou-caught Pokemon? I could do that. Many competitions! Like, ones for certain levels, and ones for certain types...WE CAN MAKE SOMETHING WORK! >_

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Oh, heck yeah. There's lots of funky rules we could use for comps, and I'm sure we definitely will take full advantage of 'em ^^

But that still defeats the purpose of this particular competiton =/

Oh, heck yeah. There's lots of funky rules we could use for comps, and I'm sure we definitely will take full advantage of 'em ^^

But that still defeats the purpose of this particular competiton =/

*blinks* *read the rules* *blinks again*

Hey, yeah, it kinda does. T_T

It makes so little sense why you have to finish your Shino Dex before you can transfer/get the National Dex. Personally, the E4 seems like a perfectly acceptable way to keep the game "difficult" (unless the E4 isn't even halfway through the game or something), but meh...T_T Maybe the Shino Dex will be even smaller than the Kanto Dex...but that would make the actual game boring if they had nothing ingame after the main thing.

Sigh.

[/ramble]

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
People figure it'll be easier to do now that the Global Trade option is available, but while I agree - as I told Alex - it'll still be time consuming. That also feels freakin' cheap too, IMO. But meh. If it'll help this comp survive, guess it's worth it.

My question is, with the added annoyance, are people still building their teams? At this point I'd almost rather use Alex's idea of training previous generation Pokemon on D/P (which now I agree much, much more with).

I guess you could always make it either-or: allow people who've already trained teams to use those and others to train directly on D/P. Just ban new moves and it'd more or less be the same (aside from some directly-transferred teams possibly needing moveset tweaking due to the Special/Physical attack changes).

Either way, need input!