• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Starter names, and more

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nemesis

Former Administrator
Thanks to Serebii, we have the US names for the DP starter Pokemon-

Grass- Turtwig
Fire- Chimchar
Water- Poochama

Yep, the only starter to keep it's japanese name.

Also confirmed-
Mimiroru-Buneary
Nyaruma-Glameow
Masukippa-Carnivine

The following are not 100% confirmed, but likely

Bippa -Beappa
Mukkuru- Staris
Pinpuku-Happini

Floatsel & Pachirisu appear to keep their Japanese Names.

More as we hear it.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Pochama staying Pochama isn't verified either. >>

Turtwig? I've seen worse. Chimchar... Eh. I can live with it. I still think Chimpyre would have sounded better.

Buneary.... O... kay. I'd assume it dervies from Bunny and Ear-y? o_o And Glameow.. XD

Carnivine is pwnsome.

... I think they're running out of ideas. :p

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Every time I'm away for an extended period of time, interesting revelations happen... and just after I was muttering to Alex that I was dying to hear the English DP starter names...

Why use Buizel if they were going to use Floatsel? Buoysel would've flowed a lot better. And Happini doesn't seem to flow well with Chansey and Blissey, but since it's not 100% confirmed I'll leave it at that...

Pachirisu isn't all that strange when you consider Pikachu and Togepi being left as is. I can see how people may mispronounce it a bit, but considering that some people can't even agree on how the English names are pronounced... it's fine X)

I'm surprised on how Pochama practically kept it's name 0.0 they never usually do that with starters.

I'm half and half on Buneary as, it flows well but looks kinda silly :p. Glameow fits perfectly I think ^_^ and Chimchar sounds sooo Kawaiii!!!!!!*Is eagerly awaiting Beequeen's name ^_^ but, is dreading it at the same time -_-'*

God, please don't let Happini be it's name T_T PLEASE!! PLEASE!! PLEASE!!!

Nemesis

Former Administrator
It appears it may be Floatzel. Pochama is confirmed now, as are all the others. Korinku may be Spinx, and Korobooshi is Kricketot.

The pink/blug snail seems to be something along the lines of Sheilos, not completly sure yet. Subomi should be known soon too.

EDIT Oh, and Gregguru seems to be Croalurk.

It appears it may be Floatzel. Pochama is confirmed now, as are all the others. Korinku may be Spinx, and Korobooshi is Kricketot.

The pink/blug snail seems to be something along the lines of Sheilos, not completly sure yet. Subomi should be known soon too.

EDIT Oh, and Gregguru seems to be Croalurk.

........spinx.................>>...........................I don't know, I mean it's not in it's entirety that bad (sounds kinda cute) but, IT SHOULD HAVE A NAME RELATED TO LIONS. YES SPHINXS ARE HALF LION BUT, WHEN YOU LOOK AT KORINK DO YOU THINK "aww a sphinx" BECAUSE I CERTAINLY DON'T!!!! >

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Glameow made lots of sense to me, but Piplup...? Drawing a blank here.

A little help? ???

EDIT: I poked Stel about it, and he said this:

StellarWind Elsydeon says (9:44 AM):
Penguin and Plup (the sound of a splash)
StellarWind Elsydeon says (9:48 AM):
Or maybe it's from piscean (fisherman) and plup. In which case it is a direct translation.

Which is probably the case. Makes a bit more sense to me now ;p

Aw! Piplup! It's so...cute! ^_^

I think all the starter names are cute. It's good...they were some of the cutest starters (in my humble opinion), so it's good they have cute names.

...Turtwig...Chimchar...Piplup...OMGSOCUTE! *spazzes*

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
422-1.png

Last edited by a moderator:

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
I still hate Turtwig and Chimchar. Turtwig sounds like an owl or professor from Harry Potter, while Chimchar makes me think of the old PG Tips adverts in the UK, with chimps in clothes sitting around drinking tea. (A cup of tea can be called "a cup of char" in some British dialects.)

Piplup...

ok, going to seriously lower the tone here...

...you have been warned!

sounds a bit like pooing. The sound that poo makes when it splashes into the toilet?

Oh man. You can tell it's 3.30am and I'm sitting up all night 'cos I can't breathe and need to go to the doctor.

Kolink=Shinx (Shock and lynx I'm guessing) personally this name went from bad to worse for me >>

Pinpuku=Happiny (No real difference from earlier english name, only in writing)

Fuwaraido=Driftblim (not bad)

Scorpy=Skorupi( I love saying that name XD)

Subomi=Budew(hmmm... not bad, I think I'm so use to the japanese ones that, it's hard to see them with a different name)

Bippa=Bidoof(I think it's suppose to be roof+ whatever bi stands for, or the oof could be tooth with different spelling?.....XD I don't know)

Gregguru=Croagunk (Croak+Gunk, The gunk part being because it's part poison. I liked croalurk better personally)

Yes I know this is on the front page but, I like discussing them here ^_^

Frankly, I'm not impressed with these batch of names. I found the first batch way better but, I'll just get use to them so there's no real problem.

I even liked some earlier misconceptions of names.

Anway, there was one pokemon that went under the radar at the 2007 NewYork Toy Fair......

and It was Cherimu who keeps it's romanization name Cherrim.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Regarding 'Shellos' - quoting Wikipedia on this:

"Its name is likely a pun on the word shell and the suffix -less (or perhaps the German equivalent of -los); Shellos has no shell. The Japanese name Karanakushi comes from the Japanese words for shell (殻, kara?), without (無く, naku?), and pond snail (田螺, tanishi?), literally translating to a snail without a shell."

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
It's nice seeing the starter names officially unveiled on Pokemon.com, along with their basic descriptions. Just seems to add a bit more magic to them ^^

I have no other comments on the names themselves beyond that...

Status
Not open for further replies.