• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Singles Rain Team: With Added Science!

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
With all my favourite standby Pokes, because I insist on shoving Shedinja everywhere. Trying to follow the standard Gen V 'Charms Single Battle Ruleset here, which means I can abuse Drizzle Politoed.

Politoed @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Grass]

A very standard set, here. I prefer to use Surf over Hydro Pump due to the accuracy.

Jellicent @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spd
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Scald
- Recover
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp

Again, your standard Jellicent. Trying to burn people is a theme I've tried to use throughout the set, for consistency's sake.

Togeplane @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 255 HP / 255 SAtk
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Aura Sphere
- Air Slash
- Nasty Plot
- Roost

Mostly trying to do a bit of walling, although suggestions on how to improve her compatibility with Rain would be very welcome.

Porygon-Z @ Life Orb [unless Item Clause is in effect, then Choice Specs]
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Thunder Wave / Shadow Ball [if Item Clause]
- Thunder
- Tri Attack
- Agility

Parahax if burning isn't working, otherwise a very standard set. Life Orb + Tri Attack + Adaptability = win.

Dragonite @ Choice Band
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 6 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Hurricane
- Waterfall
- ExtremeSpeed
- Dragon Claw

Dragonite to abuse Hurricane, and because I never use dragons normally. Waterfall's in there to benefit from the Rain boost, otherwise reasonably familiar.

Shedinja @ Focus Sash
Ability: Wonder Guard
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
- Secret Power
- Swords Dance
- X-Scissor
- Shadow Sneak

Instead of using Sheddy as my lead, I'm throwing him into the endgame where he most likely will do better. Secret Power for no good reason, the others are the tried and tested formula on my old Sheddy.

Thanks for looking. :)

(Edit: Replaced Defiant Primeape with Togekiss due to not actually reading how it works.)

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
The biggest issue with this team is that a lot of it has no notable function on a rain team. Togekiss is completely redundant compared to Thundurus or Latios or any special attacker that can make use of the rain, and there are far better Thunder users than Porygon-Z as well.

Otherwise...

- Politoed is fine.

- Scald and Will-O-Wisp on Jellicent is pointless really unless you really want to burn Dry Skin Toxicroak, and since almost all of them carry Substitute...good luck with that. Toxic is probably a better choice over that. Taunt actually works rather well on Jellicent.

- Togekiss's only function would be to remove Toxicroak at the end of the day, who otherwise is a pain for rain teams to face with Dry Skin. Dragonite can do that just fine itself with Hurricane though, so Togekiss could really get dropped for someone else.

- There is no item clause anymore. Agility + Thunder Wave is pointless, and Agility + Choice Specs is completely stupid. Overall, you can do better than Porygon-Z here.

- Adamant nature on Draggy will weaken Hurricane's power, so pick a different nature. Also, Multiscale begs for Roost, whereas Choice Band would only hurt Dragonite by having Stealth Rock ruin Multiscale.

- Stealth Rock is as common as it ever was, and Spikes has seen a surprising increase in use now, so Shedinja is even more likely to get killed off the moment he enters battle without a Rapid Spinner on your team. Starmie and Forretress are the best picks for Rapid Spinners here, for reasons I shouldn't have to explain. I'd also be very wary of Ferrothorn, since it can kill Shedinja instantly just by switching into an attack and striking back with Iron Barbs.

There's a lot of work needs doing here, but rain is a very powerful team choice to make in singles and made correctly, this team will serve you well.

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Ahem. Yes, you're right on all fronts. I have no idea what I was thinking (or more likely, not thinking) when I made most of the mistakes you pointed out - especially Porygon-Z.

Anyway, the changes are bolded:

Politoed @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Jellicent @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spd
- Scald
- Recover
- Taunt
- Toxic

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 SDef
- Spikes
- Power Whip
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball

Latios @ Expert Belt
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Dragon Pulse
- Surf
- Thunder
- Calm Mind

Dragonite @ Leftovers
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
Naughty Nature (+Atk, -SDef)
- Hurricane
- Roost
- ExtremeSpeed
- Dragon Claw

Toxicroak @ Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 244 HP / 252 Atk / 12 Def
- Drain Punch
- Substitute
- Bulk Up
- Sucker Punch

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Much better. Latios would probably prefer Psyshock over Thunder actually, to strike special walls. This leaves Hurricane Dragonite looking rather spare actually, and he could probably drop Hurricane for Waterfall here since Hurricane serves little purpose on him with Latios covering special attacks for you. You can go back to Adamant nature with this too. That said, if enemy Ferrothorn become an issue, then do go back to Hurricane.

Note that Spikes requires several layers (3 at maximum) and thus several turns of setup to make itself useful. Keep an eye out for any potential Rapid Spin users on your opponent's team before setting up the full three layers.