• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Purpose of Existance

What do you think our purpose is for existing? I will say what I can as we follow along through the debate. So, what is your thought on this?

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Derr... I was waiting for a thread like this to show up sooner or later, and at this stage in my life my answer can either be very short, or very, very drawn out. For here, I'll keep it short.

Nothing in our everyday lives has value unless we give it such. The material things you love, the work you do, your hobbies, your life legacy - none of this means anything when the only definite things in our lives are that we're born and later, die. What matters are the thoughts and feeling we personally put into them (for example, one's person choice to relax at home watching TV all day holds no less value than someone who spends their day working outdoors. Ignoring the health-related benefits, there is no invisible scale of 'value' that exists for entertainment-based activities. All that matters is that both people enjoy what they're doing). Also, yes, I do believe in God, and I do believe in concepts of 'fate' and 'destiny'. I probably don't, however, believe in these concepts the same way the average person would. When it comes to a 'purpose of existence' that we ourselves can comprehend, it all comes down to the trials/experiences we face and lessons we learn along the way. Through these experiences, we all come to discover our own purpose for existence.

I'm honestly not a follower of existentialism concepts, I just came to these thoughts/conclusions on my own and later on realized that they closely match parts of that philosophy. That said, just because I view nothing as having inherent value, that doesn't mean I'm a crazed bastard who believes nothing I do matters. I try (yet don't always succeed) to treat others and nature the way I'd want to be treated - free of needless pain and suffering/destruction, because reality throws enough of it our way to begin with.

And I'll leave it at that.

I don't think there is a purpose for our existence - I believe that our existence is the eventual product of what amounts to be random chance. Having said that, though, I still think that people should try and make the best of their lives. I mean, there may not be an underlying purpose, but why make yourself miserable, eh?

Well, Linkachu, you basicly took the words out of my thoughts and put it in your own words. Well, I may not be a believer of god but I do believe Fate and Destiny. But I put it as the cards I've been delt. And I always end up unlucky. But, anyways, Linkachu, you stole it away from me, which is actully good. Where did you come up with this??

Hmmmmmmmm, my thoughts on why were here, well, like Linkachu, I to am a believer of God and I believe that God gives us a perpose, but we can also make our own perpose in life, like my dad's perpose in life is to prevent the bobonic plage, or to install plumbing, to put it less drasticly. Life is what we make of it, when one just sits around all day and eats while the rest of his or her family does everything for them, then that, in a sence, is a waste of a life, thier doing nothing to benifit anyone other then themselves, but that's just what I think. You decided :)

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Well, Linkachu, you basicly took the words out of my thoughts and put it in your own words. Well, I may not be a believer of god but I do believe Fate and Destiny. But I put it as the cards I've been delt. And I always end up unlucky. But, anyways, Linkachu, you stole it away from me, which is actully good. Where did you come up with this??

Life experiences. Many twisted, contrived life experiences. Being an introvert probably contributes to it as well, but yeah. That's a novel of ramblings best left untold here.

Note - my experiences have probably been no more 'contrived' than anyone elses. I just love using that word xp

Hmmmmmmmm, my thoughts on why were here, well, like Linkachu, I to am a believer of God and I believe that God gives us a perpose, but we can also make our own perpose in life, like my dad's perpose in life is to prevent the bobonic plage, or to install plumbing, to put it less drasticly. Life is what we make of it, when one just sits around all day and eats while the rest of his or her family does everything for them, then that, in a sence, is a waste of a life, thier doing nothing to benifit anyone other then themselves, but that's just what I think. You decided :)

Ah, I see. * nods * Very true....Yes, I agree.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
I see my purpose of existance as mattering to as many people as I can. :) I want to live on by people knowing my name, so getting the recognition of being the best at whatever I'm the best at or for being awesome or whatever is what drives me onwards.

Also, I'm an atheist, so I don't believe in God. But I'm weird, so I do sort of believe in fate and destiny. So I suck at atheism.

I see my purpose of existance as mattering to as many people as I can. :) I want to live on by people knowing my name, so getting the recognition of being the best at whatever I'm the best at or for being awesome or whatever is what drives me onwards.

Also, I'm an atheist, so I don't believe in God. But I'm weird, so I do sort of believe in fate and destiny. So I suck at atheism.

* smiles * I see.... I know what you mean, mostly.

Well, I'm not the only one then! * winks * Same here, so your not alone either.

all life is connected when someone dies another is born and thats why we are drawn to death e.g. funerals and babies, purpose of existance, as a man of science I would say to carry out functions as an organism, eat, sleep, reproduce. its jus that we like to idolize y we are on earth :/ at least thats what I think no offence whatsoever to anybody.

the purpose of life is to make more life and make the world a good place to live in for yourself and others and people after your time.

1. You mispelled existence.

2. My point is very complex:

I am a Lutheran. For those who don't know, that is a christian religion. Because of that, I have a firm understanding of God's teachings. Knowing that, I'm not 100% sure of his existence. I am more in tune with the theory of intelligent design, meaning a higher power decides fate. Because of that, our purpose is what we make it. If you want to be scientific, our purpose is to reproduce and make more people. If you want to be realistic, your purpose is what you make it. Live your life like everyday is your last!

I once believed in christianity. Then I was an atheist. Then, I gave up. There's no point in any religion. I don't take life that seriously to devote any time to a religion of any sort any more. Think about it - we all end up dead anyway.

Sorry if I was a little forceful. [/forcefulrant]

A vexing, yet very delighting-to-know question that is.

In a short answer, anyone can easily say that "life's" purpose is to live (which is the shortest answer here for now, I think,) but even THOSE words can be translated in such a way that it would seem to be left unanswered...
I believe that life is here for us to have fun. Sure there MIGHT (or 'is') be more suffering in this world than there is enjoyment, but the purpose of existance is of our own accord. It can change in such a way that not many people would expect! (ackward). I am Atheist yet I go to church almost every sunday and sometimes on wednesdays enough to know that sometimes spirits and even the gods can aid us in our purposes in ways we might not even notice.
I also believe in evolution, I mean... without it, we would still be fighting over control of land and territory like we used_to 200 years ago. All in all, life IS what you make of it.​

Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator
Humans have two prime imperatives: To breed and to fight.

It's simple, really. We breed in order to carry on the race, and we fight each other for the best resources for our offspring. It's the same in the animal kingdom. The only reason we're different is due to the level of intelligence most of us have.

(Yes, I did have to slip "most of us" in there ;p)

Hmmm.... Life and Purpose.... I would have to say these two things go hand in hand. What is life without a purpose? Does living even need a purpose? Purpose of Existence is somewhat difficult for my mind to grasp. The ideal of a purpose can be interpreted in many different ways so it's hard for me to say that human life even has a purpose for being what it is. So needless to say Life, Purpose, and Existence, I think are what you make it.

I believe that God is out there with Her(I know he is a SHE... )plan so that we can one day be in Heaven with Her and live happily ever after... Which isn't looking so great for me :p.

But I do believe God is the one who created everything so we can do things; Eat, Worship, Breed, Teach our children the Ten Commandments, Die and Go to Heaven or Hell.

Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator
But I do believe God is the one who created everything so we can do things; Eat, Worship, Breed, Teach our children the Ten Commandments, Die and Go to Heaven or Hell.

Where do booze, lots of casual sex and murder fit in there?

Hm...

I really don't know, but anyone can stop doing those three and just live life to the extreme without geting high/stoned/wasted/laid/murdered.

So that's why I didn't post them. Because, In some minds, you really don't need more sex after you breed, booze doesn't do anything for you. And murder is wrong.

But that doesn't stop me changing my opinion when I want to or if someone brought me to the light of sex, booze or murder.. So that's why I didn't post them, Yoshi

I know I can't wake up in the morning without murdering two or three people. Usually children.

What about whacking 2 or 3 n00bs with your banhammer?

Also, I believe in G-d (religous reason for spelling His name that way), but I do not believe in destiny, or fate. It is my personal belief that we were put on this Earth to do whatever we wanted, and to live how we want to live. However, I believe that the purpose of life is to populate this Earth with new people to take your place when you die, and make the planet better when you die than it was when you were born.

Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator
Also, I believe in G-d (religous reason for spelling His name that way), but I do not believe in destiny, or fate. It is my personal belief that we were put on this Earth to do whatever we wanted, and to live how we want to live. However, I believe that the purpose of life is to populate this Earth with new people to take your place when you die, and make the planet better when you die than it was when you were born.

Sounds like a Neo-Christian to me.

The purpose of life is something I have spent time wondering about, and each time, it seems different. Agreeing with one of the mottos of the Olympics, I feel it isn't the triumph, but the struggle. I feel it like this: Humans were put on earth by God, who gave us free will. With this free will, we do as we please. Some, such as myself, try to please the creator in our daily lives. Some however, feel this is all false, and beleive life is only to continue the Human Race.

As with this, I have created my own little credo, what I feel should be followed by a person, or, myself. (This won't be exactly what it is, I've forgotten some parts....)

Live with the wonder of a child
Pray with youre arms thrown open wide
Love with a love that knows no end
Keep running that race, don't give in
Little can be much
Stand for what you believe in

There ya have it

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
The purpose of our existance is our existance. What is the purpose for a giraffe, or a monkey, or an aligator, or a shark to exist? What is the purpose for a plant, or a fungus, or bacteria? Hell, what is the purpose for all life to exist? The simple answer: it just does.

Humans are no different, natural selection favored them earning them the right to exist, just like any other species. However, evolution cursed Homo sapiens by dealing them a cruel hand. The intellegence humans evolved to allow them to adapt to their environment continued to grow until it has become the highest in the entire animal kingdom.

Humans then became smart enough to completely bypass the laws of nature itself. No longer did they need to hunt and gather food while simultaniously avoiding predetors and mating. By using their intellegence they were able to create farms and tame livestock. By centering communities around these farms, a potential mate could live right next door, and barriers could be made to keep predators out.

Now that the environment had been shaped to serve the needs of man, humans had more time to think about other things then survival. They could begin to seek knowlege and ask questions. Why are we here? How did we get here? Where did we come from? What is the purpose for our existance? Hence my answer is humans have a right to determine their individual purpose. They can only find it on their own or decide for themselves what they want out of life.

In other words our existiance is meaningless, just do what you can to make it worth while for yourself so when you die you have no regrets. Like Yoshimitsu said, his purpose for existing is to drink booze, have lots of casual sex, and murder as many people as possible before fading from existance :).

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
If you don't stop aligning your posts to the right, you're going to find out first hand what's it like to find the purpose of your own existence. >>

Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator
I think Psychosocial's avatar lies.

Shut up Stel. It lies. >=O

Like Yoshimitsu said, his purpose for existing is to drink booze, have lots of casual sex, and murder as many people as possible before fading from existance

Told ya

personally, i think that the purpose of life is to die happily,that means fulfilling any life long dreams before you expire, for me anyway. either that or to make the world a better place, i think we messed that one up though.

I'll start with something like this... Each day, we get up, have breakfast, read the newspaper and find that the most oddest of things has occured somewhere. It makes you wonder if even reality itself is a bit too unrealistic. This brings me to the conclusion that we are entertainment for something, something that lives in a world where humor only exists in the TV show that is our world.