• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Private/Closed PokéSync: Discussion Thread

What region should the Rp be held in first?

• Kanto

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Johto

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Hoenn

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Sinnoh

Votes: 7 53.8%
  • Unova

• Kalos

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Alola

• Galar

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
For those of you still debating over which region to vote, do note these are the extra events that are available in each region:

upload_2021-5-21_14-59-0.png

Name: Shiro Coldpowder
Trainer Class (What goal do you have in mind for your character? Contests/Battler/Breeder/etc.): Researcher (Its my temporary decision, I also thought of a Breeder, but may remain as Researcher)
Physical Appearance: being around 5'8 tall, with a fairly pale skin and black, curly and messy hair. He also got a silver, almost white eyes.
Clothing: (Optional) Various :D
Personality: Although a bit shy and usually keeps distance unless you are a very good friend or his pokemon. He is however a very kind person, like his pokemon, a bit of clumsy and always is extra careful with his research. He mainly tries to understand the changes in the pokemon if they can be in any way cured. He also tends to have a good observation skill as he is great at analyzing things. He also tends to take part in pokemon battles as hobby and take gym challanges to get in more dangerous parts of regions and learn more about the phenomenom that affects pokemon.
Backstory: TBA
Starter: Cubchoo named Glacier

Name: Glacier
Species: Cubchoo
Ability: Slush Rush
Nature: Naive
Characteristic: Glacier is kind of clumsy, a bit of a shy cubchoo that is very dependable on Shiro. At the same time he loves his trainer and tends to cuddle to him often, making sure his snot doesn't touch his trainer though. If anyone tries to harm Shiro though, Glacier is ready to show his strenght and protect Shiro from any opponent.
Appearance: Looks like a normal cubchoo, that wears a green scarf around his neck that was brought to him by Shiro. (How much scarf not too cheap and not too expensive costs in the amazon? XD)
Moves: Growl, Icy Wind, Fury Swipes, Endure.

Name: Shiro Coldpowder
Trainer Class (What goal do you have in mind for your character? Contests/Battler/Breeder/etc.): Researcher (Its my temporary decision, I also thought of a Breeder, but may remain as Researcher)
Physical Appearance: being around 5'8 tall, with a fairly pale skin and black, curly and messy hair. He also got a silver, almost white eyes.
Clothing: (Optional) Various :D
Personality: Although a bit shy and usually keeps distance unless you are a very good friend or his pokemon. He is however a very kind person, like his pokemon, a bit of clumsy and always is extra careful with his research. He mainly tries to understand the changes in the pokemon if they can be in any way cured. He also tends to have a good observation skill as he is great at analyzing things. He also tends to take part in pokemon battles as hobby and take gym challanges to get in more dangerous parts of regions and learn more about the phenomenom that affects pokemon.
Backstory: TBA
Starter: Cubchoo named Glacier

Name: Glacier
Species: Cubchoo
Ability: Slush Rush
Nature: Naive
Characteristic: Glacier is kind of clumsy, a bit of a shy cubchoo that is very dependable on Shiro. At the same time he loves his trainer and tends to cuddle to him often, making sure his snot doesn't touch his trainer though. If anyone tries to harm Shiro though, Glacier is ready to show his strenght and protect Shiro from any opponent.
Appearance: Looks like a normal cubchoo, that wears a green scarf around his neck that was brought to him by Shiro. (How much scarf not too cheap and not too expensive costs in the amazon? XD)
Moves: Growl, Icy Wind, Fury Swipes, Endure.
looks good. accepted.

FAQ updated!

Can Pokemon die?

Worry not my edgy friend, Pokemon can indeed die.

Pokemon use a portion of their energy to shield themselves from physical harm. Once this shield is depleted they are considered 'fainted' in any official league battle. However, outside of league battles, trainers are free to continue fighting after their shields have been exhausted. Fighting in this stage can leave your pokemon with more lasting injuries or result in death.

For those of you who want to up the stakes or simply want the chance to kill a Pokemon, you're free to engage in such dangerous, unsanctioned battles outside of the city and outside the purview of officers and rangers.

@Hecotoro
@=Nightshade=
@Mango137
@DarkHydraT
@Gamingfan
@Retro Master
@Clite of Dragonbow
@RenzFlintrock
@ThePlayfulFox
@silverwind2020
@Schrift
@Pinch
@Alternate_Mystery
@sSoul

For those of you still in character creation, and worried that you won't be able to obtain a certain Pokemon later on, please note that you won't be limited to the regional dex. Places like PalPark have contributed greatly to bringing exotic species to the various regions, and because of the great hunger Pokemon have also began to travel further distances in order find sustenance. The only thing I ask is don't catch Pokemon too quickly, don't catch Pokemon that are too strong, and don't catch Pokemon that obviously wouldn't live in the habitat you're in. No Slugma in the ocean.

Guess I'll DISPENSE with da bio.

Trainer BIOS Sheet

Name: Ryder Daisuke
Trainer: Battler
Appearance: A dark-skinned boy who has medium black hair, which is pretty messy. In height, he's about 4'9, so pretty short. He normally wears a crimson hoodie with a blue shirt under it, and black ripped jeans. He finishes off that look with brown boots.
Personality: He's always energetic, in battle or not. He cares about others, and normally prioritizes himself with helping others. And finally, he is curious as heck.
Backstory: Ryder was born in Kalos, Lumiose City. He's son to a trainer father and a researcher mother. At 9, Ryder always wanted to be a trainer or a researcher, just like his parents. They were hesitant at first, but when their friend from Galar gifted them a Scorbunny, they decided to let Ryder use it to go on an adventure when he grew up a few years. Now 17, Ryder, having bonded with the Scorbunny, is now ready to go on an adventure of his own.

Pokemon BIOS Sheet

Name: Striker
Species: Scorbunny
Ability: Blaze
Nature: Adamant
Characteristic: Likes to fight, highly persistent.
Appearance: It's fur is a bit more reddish, and it wears a small set of goggles on it's neck, and they are able to be pulled onto it's eyes to protect it from the blinding properties of it's Fire Attacks.
Moves: Ember, Quick Attack, Tackle, Growl

Last edited:
Both accepted.

The Discord Server has also been created. More will be added once we get started.

https://discord.gg/Y6sbWjyHd7 (Join the Poké Sync Discord Server!)

Speaking of getting started, it's about time we start arguing over which region to attend. Sinnoh is obviously the best region to have ever been created but I'm a pretty chill guy, so I'll allow you guys to debate your wrong opinions.

Um...teeny problem with me being able to join the discord. See, I'm interested in joining, but my tablet is a bum and doesn't let me access links normally (it just sends me to the play store page for discord), so could I PM you (kyuu) my Discord info so you can send me the link via a message?

What are ranches like in this world? Like, how do they keep the tamed Pokemon from attacking. Is it someone with a lot of bonds?
Good Question!

Hmm, ranches weren't something I'd thought of, but this would also apply for Breeders or any profession that utilizes more Pokemon than you could normally bond.

You should be able to achieve a Ranch with a combination of things. The main source of the Pokemon's aggression is their need to compete for food/resources. So if they're all well-fed they won't be as boisterous.

I would do this with a two-party system of kinds:

1) Bond with the herd leader and have additional Pokemon that can help you Shephard or pacify the group. For example, a Pokemon like Liligant, who's scent is supposed to be calming.

2) The raw energy cost would need to be offset, and that can be done with money. You can buy berries and Pokemon food to sustain the Pokémon. Again, if the Pokemon aren't starving, they have less of a reason to be hyper aggressive.

Professions like breeders and ranchers, those which make a lot of money using Pokemon, would invariable need to invest some of that money to keep the Pokemon happy and healthy. It's an investment that will eventually pay for itself, but you have to manage it carefully at the start.

Re: the first point with Liligant, grass type Pokemon could be used to improve plant-growth which would certainly help off-set the cost of feeding a herd.

Last edited:
Thanks! Hilda grew up on a ranch, and I needed that. So let's say they kept herds of Mareep, Tauros, and Milktank, would the Lilipup line, Liligent, Rapidash (used for keeping up with the Tauros) and one of each Pokemon should be sufficient?
Tauros might be the most troublesome since they were already an aggressive species even before the events of PokeSync. As long as you have a sufficiently powerful Stoutland or something then I imagine you'd be just fine. You may want more than one depending on how large your herd is.

You may want to own a lot of land since Tauros tend to stampede; but, I believe some liberal application of Sleep Powder and Stoutland's Intimidate should be able to prevent most tragedies.

@Hecotoro
@=Nightshade=
@Mango137
@DarkHydraT
@Gamingfan
@Retro Master
@Clite of Dragonbow
@RenzFlintrock
@ThePlayfulFox
@silverwind2020
@Schrift
@Pinch
@Alternate_Mystery
@sSoul

Hi, tired of getting tagged yet? :blush:

We're looking to make Critical Hits more balanced. So crit rates will be nerfed for this RP, I believe things like natural. 100% Crit Rate Absol are a bit too abusable.

There are two options I'm considering for how this will be done and these will be scaled off the maximum crit rate achievable with +4 Stage buff or more.

This maximum crit rate can be lowered to 50%, which results in this scaling:

Crit Stage || Crit Chance %
Stage +0 || 1/32 OR 3.125%
Stage +1 || 1/16 OR 6.25%
Stage +2 || 1/8 OR 12.5%
Stage +3 || 1/4 OR 25%
Stage +4— || 1/2 OR 50%

Or the maximum crit rate can be lowed to 25%, which results in this scaling:

Crit Stage || Crit Chance %
Stage +0 || 1/48 OR 2.08%
Stage +1 || 1/32 OR 3.125%
Stage +2 || 1/16 OR 6.25%
Stage +3 || 1/8 OR 12.5%
Stage +4— || 1/4 OR 25%

Alternatively, we can also remove critical hits altogether; but, this will have the effect of making some ability and items useless in battle.

Please discuss as I will be checking to see what people think tomorrow.

Y'all need to post more...I don't wanna have to double or triple post often.

Suggestion by @RenzFlintrock

So guys, I agree that rolling for crits is a bad idea, but IMO what should happen here is an agreement between battlers. I view Crits as crucial weak spots, so moves like Night Slash and Cross Poison have I high chance of hitting those. Focus Energy raises your attention towards those spots, etc.

Thoughts?

Haha, I've been avoiding posting here since it's where I'm writing my bio. But let me expand on the idea a little. My suggestion is that rather than rolling for a Crit for every attack you make, you take the Crit rate of a Pokemon in mind when you're resolving a hit. So you as the opponent can decided whether or not a Crit actually happens, so long as you don't break the ratio. So if a Pokemon is going to Crit 25% of the time, you can't go more than four or five hits without a Crit landing. However, it really depends on the role-play, and so this system only works well if people are willing to make crits a narrative function and part of the story, rather than just a battle mechanic to deal increased damage.

I hope this makes sense.

Haha, I've been avoiding posting here since it's where I'm writing my bio. But let me expand on the idea a little. My suggestion is that rather than rolling for a Crit for every attack you make, you take the Crit rate of a Pokemon in mind when you're resolving a hit. So you as the opponent can decided whether or not a Crit actually happens, so long as you don't break the ratio. So if a Pokemon is going to Crit 25% of the time, you can't go more than four or five hits without a Crit landing. However, it really depends on the role-play, and so this system only works well if people are willing to make crits a narrative function and part of the story, rather than just a battle mechanic to deal increased damage.

I hope this makes sense.
I can get behind this

OK, my mind just clicked with a question.

So, moves used by a Pokemon drains the Trainer's energy, right? So, would some of, if not all of the energy (the strength of the move depends) be restored to the trainer if said Pokemon used a healing move or maybe even Aqua Ring? I have no idea where this question came from tbh.
I think the best explanation for this would be to imagine it like the games.

Energy is basically like PP

Healing moves restore HP and not PP, so no, healings moves would not restore energy to the trainer. I'm fairly sure there are no moves that restore PP, just ones that force your opponent to use it faster.

Y'all need to post more...I don't wanna have to double or triple post often.

Suggestion by @RenzFlintrock

Thoughts?
I 100% agree and was gonna suggest that until I saw it. A critical hit to me is just one that happens when the opponent exposes themselves and a weak point is hit. Certain Pokémon/moves would just be better suited towards that (though I agree stuff like 100% crit Absol couldn’t be allowed). As long as the rpers are fair and talk it out I think it should be up to the battlers discretion.