• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Pokémon Smash Shows Off More X & Y Footage

Demelza

Eevee Tamer
Staff member
Last nights edition of Japanese TV show Pokémon Smash was tipped to be a big event for Pokémon X and Pokémon Y. However, as seems to be the trend lately, the show didn't actually bring any big news or reveals to do with the two games. We were treated to some new gameplay footage of the games though, and we were also shown the first trailer for the Pokémon XY anime which is set to begin airing in Japan in October.

pokemon_smash_logo.png

First off, if you want to watch the footage from Pokémon Smash in a decent quality then you can do so over at Filb right here.

The gameplay footage of the games seems to show us very early aspects of them, considering the Froakie being used in battle is fairly low leveled, as are the other Pokémon shown. The only noteworthy stuff from the footage is the player fishing and surfing, seemingly confirming that we'll have access to do both quite early in the games.

pokmon%20xy%20poster.png

The trailer for the anime was short but sweet, introducing us to Froakie, Fennekin and Chespin in anime style along with showing us Ash and Pikachu getting off a plane seemingly alone, which could also confirm that Cilan and Iris likely won't be exploring Kalos with Ash and Pikachu.

Last edited by a moderator:

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
I don't think Smash is going to come out with any scoops - at all - for the rest of this pre-launch period. The rest of the marketing wheel is well underway online and in CoroCoro, so Smash is really just a roundup for those that don't follow it in those places.

However, I really hope we get to see more and more footage as the weeks go on. Seeing these games in action is great, and looks better and better every time.

Demelza

Eevee Tamer
Staff member
Doctor Oak said:
I don't think Smash is going to come out with any scoops - at all - for the rest of this pre-launch period. The rest of the marketing wheel is well underway online and in CoroCoro, so Smash is really just a roundup for those that don't follow it in those places.

While I agree, I feel like they missed a chance to get ahead here because we have that evil-tree Pokémon that's been shown in trailers before the latest movie, and when the Pokémon is out there quite publicly because of that I really thought Smash would reveal it before CoroCoro does. It still might, but aye, for the most part Smash won't bring us the biggest news. More footage is more than welcome though~

While I was very happy to see more X and Y footage I think the anime footage made me most happy. The starters are utterly adorable, even if Fennekin is a stuck up little thing, and I can't wait till we get to see this series in October. Hopefully it makes up for a lot of the rubbish Best Wishes dumped on us, namely better battles, Ash being senseable at battling, and a half decent league. :p

Have I ever mentioned that I would just love a job at Smash? Seriously these guys sound like they have the best time ever when they do this stuff.

That being said, it is a little sad that there wasn't really any new information, but the fact that you can catch the squiddles around that route, and that people claim its somewhat early in the game, tells me to keep my eye out for this place.

Also is it just me, or does it look like the anime changed animation studios? I don't know if anybody else notices, but there's a few differences in style of the movement and Pokemon this time around versus the prior series, and while I understand that the animation will change slightly from one series to the next, I still can't help but think that this is a different studio. Anyone else getting this vibe?

Doubled said:
Also is it just me, or does it look like the anime changed animation studios? I don't know if anybody else notices, but there's a few differences in style of the movement and Pokemon this time around versus the prior series, and while I understand that the animation will change slightly from one series to the next, I still can't help but think that this is a different studio. Anyone else getting this vibe?

The opening episodes of each saga usually have the best animation team working on them to make the start of a saga look more impressive.

Look back at the first two Hoenn episodes, and the first 3 DP episodes...they look impressive for the time. Then as the saga progresses and the usual filler grind starts they have the various low-tier animation studios pump out the episodes since they need a new one every week.

Sometimes I wonder what the anime would be like if they only made 26 episodes a year like other shows, rather than 52. It would sure reduce the filler of each saga, lol.

Doctor Oak said:

However, I really hope we get to see more and more footage as the weeks go on. Seeing these games in action is great, and looks better and better every time.

Hope we to see more and more footage as the weeks go on.