• A reminder: If you want to ask an RP thread creator if you can join their RP, do so in private - via conversation or profile messages - or via the thread's discussion thread, if one exists. Do NOT ask if you can join an RP on the RP thread itself! This leads to a lot of unnecessary OOC chatter and that's not what the RP boards are for.

This is clearly stated in our RP forum rules. If you've not read them yet, do so BEFORE posting anything in the RP forums. They may be found here (for Pokémon Role Play) or here (for General Role Play). Remember that the Global Rules of Pokécharms also apply in addition to these rule sets.
  • Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Pokemon Festival

((OC: Since no one seems to be alive in the RP recently, I've decided to start a new topic and see how many people actually respond--all the other RPs I'm in seems like they're dead, for the moment, so we need to liven the place up.))

Carrie pushed through the thick crowds in the city square, Jolteon dogging at her heels. Celadon City was bustling in the dusky atmosphere, stalls springing up like dominoes along the streets. Vendors set up shop and began crying their wares above the heads of the crowd, attempting to entice the younger crowds into buying their materials. Carrie knew that the Gym was busily at work, fighting against the clock to get the midnight fireworks show prepared before their deadline. Oak's prediction about the turn-out for the Festival was spectacularly accurate; Carrie had never seen so many people in one place, not even at the Leagues. It seemed as if the population of Lilycove, Goldenrod and Saffron had been meshed together haphazardly and stuffed within the boundaries of the shopping capital of Kanto. Carrie certainly felt as if it was the case, anyways.

She broke through into a small clearing in the crowd, where the different tides of people flowed to and fro. There weren't any shops in this small alcove, and Carrie thought that, perhaps, it was the reason for the breather. Jolteon plopped down at her heels, whining in a concerned fashion to her knees. She gave him a small smile to ease his anxiety.

"It's okay, Jolteon, I'm still breathing," she reassured him, half-joking, half serious. He squirmed for a moment before emitting a low growl of lenience, and Carrie plowed back into the crowds, fighting her way towards the Gym.

The area around the Gym was surprisingly vacant, Carrie realized as she stepped onto the building's front walkway. Grass trainers were bustling about, Glooms and Vileplumes and Oddishes everywhere. Erika was crouching in front of her Vileplume near the doors, and Carrie approached her, attempting to stay out of everyone's way. Erika looked up at her footsteps, and smiled in welcome.

"Ah. You're here to help, right?"

Carrie nodded. "What do you need done?"

Carrie was set the task of transporting the bundles of unused fireworks from the Gym's entrance hall to the small launch-site that had been shabbily thrown together on the edge of the property. Carrie gaped at the sheer size of the mountain. Jolteon yipped in a superior way, amused at her predicament, and Carrie eyed him evilly as an idea occured to her.

Carrie found some rope in an old shed at the back of the Gym, and, making use of it, fashioned a rough sled with an old sheet of metal that had once been part of the Gym's roof. She harnessed Jolteon to it, and he sent her a slightly affronted look. She grinned at him and gathered an armful of fireworks before setting off to complete her task.

((OC: Your character doesn't have to help with the preparations, they can be going about and enjoying the festival.))

((I'm always up for a Role-Play. So, you can count on me to be active. I just wish others were too...))

Sonjo and his Combusken just arrived in Celadon City. It seemed like the place was getting re-decorated for some sort of celebration. All around the city, people can be found preparing food vendors, setting up banners, or unloading luggage. The two of them stood there confused out of their minds. That is, until, they spotted a trainer with her Jolteon. "Hey, do you know what's going on?" Sonjo asked.

Carrie straightened from her task of setting down the fireworks and smiled at the new arrival.

"Yeah. There's a Pokemon festival going on right now, and the trainers here are helping to set up the fireworks. They have shops in the squares and everything. I think there's even a Pokemon tournament going on down near the Pokemon Center." She eyed him momentarily. "Who are you, by the way? I don't think I've ever seen you before."

Hearing the information from Carrie, he began to feel excitement. "My name's Sonjo, I'm a trainer from Sinnoh. This here's my Combusken." he introduced. Combusken gave out a cry, as if to say 'Hi!'. "Now that I've told you who we are, do you mind telling us who you are?"

"Carrie Slovak, from Pallet Town." She leaned down to pat Jolteon on the head. "Interesting Pokemon, by the way. I think I've seen one compete in a Contest before. It's a Fire type, right? Anyhow, if you want to really get the gist of what's going on you can head down the Pokemon Center. I hear Nurse Joy is handing out pamphlets. I think it's a better job than what I'm doing, even though I volunteered for it."

Jolteon yipped his agreement, a hind paw coming up to scratch at the rope harness strapped about him in mild irritation. The electric dog would much rather be down romping around the city; Carrie could tell by the gleam in his eye.

Sonjo almost couldn't contain his own excitement. "I just have two more questions. One: Can I help prepare for the festival? And two: Will you be taking part in the Tournament?" Sonjo spotted his Combusken approaching Carrie's Jolteon, trying to help it get untangled. "I like your Jolteon, by the way."

"Sure, you can help if you want." Carrie snickered briefly. "Though I think Jolteon would appreciate it more than I would. I'll probably take a look at the Tournament; if there's some tough trainers then I might take part. And I like your Combusken, too. It looks strong. Do you train it regularly?" Carrie turned to look at the two Pokemon, but was met with a surprise instead.

Jolteon was squirming rather badly, complicating a simple knot into a tangle. Combusken was attempting to unwrap the poor guy, but Jolteon just squirmed harder. Carrie sighed and knelt down, a hand on the head the only thing Jolteon needed to calm down. Within a minute the tangle was cleared and Jolteon stepped out of the ropes, shaking out his spiky fur with an indignant huff. Carrie grinned at him.

"Yeah, Combusken's my favorite pokemon. The both of us are great friends, right Combusken?" The firey bird happily nodded. "So, what can we help you with first? I've got plenty of energy to burn." said the eager trainer. He looked around the city to see the bright decorations that were already set up.

"Well, It'd be a great help if you could carry some of these fireworks over to the launch site," Carrie suggested, pointing to the ramshackle launch pad twenty feet away. "The other bundles are in the Gym's front hall. There's only about six or so bundles left, though, so it shouldn't take long."

Carrie herself was carrying four, and she offered two of them to Sonjo. "Help a lady out?"

"Sure thing." Sonjo took the offered fireworks out of her hold, and into his. Meanwhile, Combusken scurried into the Gym to get more bundles of fireworks. He then took the rockets to the launchpad, and set them down. He then went over to help his Combusken, who was trying to carry four sets. Sonjo laughed to himself slightly.

Carrie shook her head at the fire Pokemon, smiling as she went to retrieve the last two. The bundles weighed roughly ten to fifteen pounds each, depending on the type of firework it was and the type of gunpowder (and how much) was used in each. The poor thing was attempting to haul around 40-60 pounds and, though Carrie was sure he was strong, she doubted he could haul those around for thirty feet or more, given his height.

Carrie shifted her grip on the remained two and made a beeline for the launch pad, Jolteon keeping close to her heels, a spring in his step now that the harness was off. She carefully deposited her load on the ever-growing pile of paper and explosives, standing off to the side as Combusken and Sonjo finished their round. Jolteon pawed the ground impatiently.

"Hold your Ponytas, J," Carrie laughed, "we're almost done." Her smile grew impish. "I know how anxious you are to show Rai around the shops."

Jolteon growled good-naturedly at the teasing and head-butted her leg briefly, rubbing his fur against the hem of her long skirt. She patted him on the head.

"So..." Sonjo was doing his routine stretches, to loosen his muscles. His Combusken was almost a mirror image. "What needs to be done now? Anything need put up?" The two of them were preforming peacock stretches, to arm bends, and finishing with cracking knuckles. "That feels better, eh Combusken?" Sonjo said, looking beside him. Combusken agreed, giving out a jubilant cry.

Carrie brought a hand to her chin in thought.

"Well," she began, pausing as she combed her mind, "Nurse Joy was saying something about needing help with the Center an hour ago. I suppose she wants it to be set up before the Tourny starts; no doubt lots of Pokemon will need to pay her a visit before the night's done. Erika up in the Gym was saying something about a party they were throwing, but it seems to be for Grass Trainers only. Officer Jenny was also looking for volunteers earlier, like Joy. I don't think the current task force is enough to keep the crowds under control, especially now that the Tourny starts in..." She trailed off, frowning up at the sky. The sun was just setting, and twilight was falling over the city. White glowed everywhere as lanterns were strung up like fishing lines along the rooftops and lamp posts. It was almost impossible to tell what time it was, considering the fact she didn't have her watch with her.

Jolteon whined up at her, pawing at her knee for attention. She spared him a glance, and found him tugging her skirt in the direction of the Department Store. She followed his line of sight, and way up high on the terraced roof of the store a clock had been set up, glowing brightly with clear, neon lights through the dark. It read 6:48 P.M. Carrie considered.

"I think the Tourny starts at half past seven," she continued after a long moment's silence, "we might have time to check some things out before it begins. What are you up to? Volunteering or shop browsing?"

It was Sonjo's turn to think.

"Well, to tell the truth, I came to Celadon City because I'm sort on supplies and provisions. I've got plenty of money, and seeing as the festival's nearing, I guess we'll browse the shops." Sonjo took a deep breathe. His Combusked seemed happy with his choice.

Carrie clapped her hands, a smile on her face. "Excellent! While you're buying what you need to survive day by day, I'll be off browsing the souvenirs." Carrie grinned, and she could have sworn Jolteon rolled his eyes at her. She knew he considered her humor caustic and rather flat, but that was his opinion. In revenge she turned her impish grin upon him, and he huffed. He raised a solitary paw and swatted at Raichu's Pokeball, hanging off her belt. It was her turn to roll her eyes.

"Oh, fine," she said, teasingly, "I understand. You can have the night with your girlfriend." She unhooked Raichu's Pokeball from her belt and released her, the electric mouse materializing in a burst of light. She shook her ears out and scratched at them as she always did, whipping her wiry, elongated tail about the grass. Jolteon yipped happily. Raichu greeted him with equal jubilation, and the both turned to run off.

"Be back by the Tournament, you two!" Carrie yelled after their retreating backs, slapping a hand to her forehead when Raichu waved her tail in thoughtless acknowledgement. She shook her head.

"So," she started again, turning to face Sonjo, "where to first? The department store?"

OOC: I have another RP called search for kyogre if u want to check it out, it uses the same char.

Meanwhile, in a far corner of the festival, Ben set up a booth in which he planned to sell some of his art.
"Boy Izzy" he said to his Smeargle, "I shure hope we sell somthing, we really need the cash."
"Smeargle!" said Izzy agreeingly.
Ben smiled, and started to put the rest of his paintings up.
"You know Izzy, I heard someone talking about fireworks earlyer. That'll be fun to paint."

Sonjo smiled as he saw the two pokemon trotted off. He then turned to Carrie, and said "Sure. And afterwords, I'm sure I'll have enough to buy soveiners." Sonjo felt a nice breeze blowing, with leaves flowing in the wind. They started off to the Store, and got in the elevator. "Your Raichu looks strong, Carrie. I haven't seen one like that since Lt. Surge."

"I'll help you with your shopping, if you want. And..." Carrie looked back after the two retreating Pokemon, or where they had been; the crowd had already swallowed them up-- "She was actually my first 'official' Pokemon, though I found Jolteon as an Eevee first. You can blame her strength on a Primeape I used to have, though," she laughed in an awkwardly way, scratching at her cheek, "she was so terribly upset when a Hitmonchan beat her in a fight that she asked Primeape to teach her boxing. That was back when she was a Pikachu, of course. Now she's almost more of a Fighting type than an Electric." Carrie shook her head. "But that doesn't matter. Quicker we get that done the more time we have to browse."

As Ben finished putting up the paintings in his booth he noticed two people coming twords him.
"Hmmmmm.... Judging by the fact their headed this way, I'd say their going to the Department store. I wonder....."
Then he looked at them one last time and yelled "Wanna buy some art?"

Sonjo looked back at the man. "Eh, not me. I'm not a big fan of art." Though, the pictures he had look reasonably decent. Combusken was getting closer for a better look at it. "What about you, Carrie? "

Carrie moved closer, leaning in to inspect the paintings set out to display. She picked through them one by one, before pointing to one near the back. It was mostly obscured by the other paintings, but she could just make out a silver form against a blue backdrop.

"Is that a Pokemon?" She queried in interest, tilting her head to the side. "It looks pretty. Where'd you paint it?"

((OC: If you have no idea what I'm talking about you can make something up. I'm fuzzy on details at the moment.))

OOC: My char. is 14

"Shure is, saw it awile back when I was in the Jhoto region, the man i was with thinks it was a Lugia. Said it was a once-in-a-lifetime painting oprotunity,"

OOC: check out my new post search for kyogre

She smiled at him. "I was gonna buy it anyways, silly. It's pretty, and I can just imagine it on my wall back home in Pallet." She reached into the large blue duffle bag she always carried with her, extracting her wallet. "How much? I don't care how expensive. I have plenty for souvenirs."

"Hmm," She considered for a moment, flipping through the bills in her wallet. "Well, it is exceptionally pretty, and if my eyes aren't deceiving me that is a Lugia. So, I'd think it'd weigh in at about..." She counted out 10 bills, and handed them over. "About 10,000. And no, don't argue about taking less. I'm gonna frame it and hang it up on my wall for all my visitors to see. Maybe even Professor Oak will take a look at it for me." She handed him the bills, putting her wallet away.

Sonjo examined the picture closely. "That's a Lugia? Incredible!" Now he could see why Combusken was marveling over it before. "It looks so detailed. I'm starting to get a little envious."

For a minute, Ben didn't say anything, he just stood there, mouth open, staring at the money. Then he snaped out of it.
"Done and Done!" he said, taking the money and giving her the painting.
"My father was an artist, and I've been painting my whole life, but I really want to paint a Rayquayza."
"By the way, are you two going to the department store?"

Carrie quietly laughed at Sonjo. She pointed to the painting. "Yeah, see? The silver feathers that almost look like scales? And the spines on it's back are unique to the species. I can't say I blame you, though, not many have seen one. I saw one on my way to Cianwood, back when I was still earning all my badges." She smiled at Ben. "Where did you see one, exactly? I think they only live around the ocean. I don't think I've ever heard of one flying over land. And yeah, we're going to the department store."

Carrie pondered for a moment, momentarily tuning out the sounds around her. 'Rayquaza? That's indigeneous to Hoenn, isn't it?' She silently laughed inside. 'My snotty excuse for a brother wanted to catch one, I think.'

"I was on a beach when it happened" he said, a little pissed off.
"Oh, bout the rayquayza, I'm from sinnoh. But looks like I got sidetrackd to here, kanto.
"As for the department store, well, you just gave me more money than I needed. I was wondering, could I come with you to do some shopping? I really need some supplies, and you're the only freinds I've made since arriving in this region."

She nodded at him. "Sure. Why not? The more the merrier, eh, Sonjo? Besides, he needs to do some supply shopping, too." She shifted the painting in her arms, pursing her lips for a moment. She could carry this around with her, but...

She reached towards her belt, unhooking a Pokeball. She tossed it into the air, waiting for Mischief to materialize. He made his entrance rather grand, managing to scare a few unsuspecting passerbys as he seemingly popped out of nowhere. He regarded her quizzically.

"Hey, you minx, you," Carrie greeted him cheerfully, shifting the painting again. "Can you do a little job for me? I'll buy you a treat later, promise."

The Misdreavus essayed closer, inspecting the painting with curiosity. "Can I have you take this to the hotel we're staying at? It shouldn't be a problem, since you can go through walls and things."

Mischief sized the painting up before chirping his acceptance. A purple glow enshrouded his eyes, identical to the haze that covered the painting. It rose up in the air, startling more of the surrounding crowd, and he nodded at her once before floating off. She wiped her brow.

"Damn, that's three of my Pokemon roaming around now. They're just loose today." She inclined her head towards the two boys. "Shall we go?"

Ben looked at the midravios for a minute and said "yeah, lets go! But first, come on out Bastiodon!"

Bastiodon came out, and landed on the ground shaking everything around him.

"Bastiodon hasn't been out in a while, so he'll come to. Izzy, watch the shop."

"What a crowd, hmm?" Sonjo looked at everyone, then turned to the Departament Store. "OKAY! Time to get some supplies." They all headed inside the store, and hopped inside of the elevator. Sonjo pressed the floor he wanted, then leaned on the walls with his Combusken.

"So, how long have you been painting?"

Carrie choked for a brief second, waving her hands in signal of a 'negative'.

"Oh, no," she said, shaking her head, "we only met a little while before we came across you. He offered to help me set up the fireworks at the gym." She settled down in the corner of the elevator with a sigh, eyes moving to the digital clock set in place by the floor display.

[move]6:58 P.M.[/move]

Carrie sighed again, doing the mental math in her head. The Tournament sign-ups started at half past seven, and would probably run for ten to fifteen minutes. Most likely an announcement would be made over the intercom to grab people's attention, and then the match-ups would take at least another ten minutes. That gave them around fifty-two to fifty-seven minutes to get their shopping done; plenty of time. She looked back at the two boys, wondering what she might have missed during her momentary zone-out.

"Hahahaha! Dont worrie! I was just fooling!"
"Did you say fireworks? I knew it! That'll be awsome to paint!"
He then looked at Carrie for a moment.
"Hey! Speaking of paintings. How would you like to be in one of my paintings! I bet you'd look great on canvas! Besides, I need to get some art stuff here anyway! I could pick up the extra needed colors too! What do you think Bastiodon?"
Bastiodon nodded approvingly.

If they had been in an anime, Carrie was sure she would have sweatdropped then.

"Thanks, but I'm not comfortable with image recordings of myself," She explained, scratching at her cheek again. "It started with cameras, I think. Ever since I first had my picture taken and saw myself in the results I've believed that they suck out your soul." She thought for a moment. "Besides, I've never had a portrait done before. I wouldn't know how it works."

Sonjo chuckled. They had just met this guy, and he was already thinking of painting another picture. He concluded that this guy was highly devoted to his art. Ting-Tong! The elevator arrived at the Trainer's Goods floor. "I'll be a just minute!" Sonjo ran to the store Clerk and bought several packs of Hyper Potions and Revives.

"It's real simple. You just have to sit real still."
"But if you dont want to, then lets at least have a battle after we're done here!"
Ben then got off the elevator when it reached its next stop, and started going through the paint brush section.

Carrie sat back on her tailbone, watching through half-lidded eyes as the boys ran from one floor to the next. She took out her Pokedex--worn but obviously cared for--and flipped through the data entries she had on various Pokemon.

"A battle, huh?" She muttered under her breath. She punched in a few buttons, and within moments a data entry popped to life on her screen:

'SMEARGLE marks the boundaries of its territory using a body fluid that leaks out from the tip of its tail. Over 5,000 different marks left by this Pokemon have been found.'

She tapped her foot, muling over this information as she quietly recorded data from Ben's Bastiodon into the Pokedex. It beeped quietly, then another screen popped up:

'BASTIODON, when attacked, form a wall with their shieldlike faces to protect their young.'

She scowled and closed the Pokedex, sighing as she stowed it away. The entries had told her nothing she didn't already know. She smiled slightly. She was looking forward to fighting them, both.

Sonjo's eyes widened a little as he spotted Carrie's Pokedex. "So, you have a Pokedex too, huh? Who'd you get yours from?" Sonjo looked at her digital encyclopedia, and saw it looked slightly different then his own.