• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

DPPt/HGSS Pokecharms Christmas Fishing Tournament

Status
Not open for further replies.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
After the success of the Baby Cup Tournament last Christmas, we decided that we'd start hosting these sorts of Wi-Fi tournaments at least annually (for now at least,) and here is the next tournament in the line: The Pokecharms Christmas Fishing Tournament! Credit goes to Ruko for the idea of the tournament, as well as the majority of the rules in it as well.

Now, this won't be a competition to see who can fish best, because that'd suck - this will be standard, 6vs6 battling in a knockout-round style tournament (or whatever you'd call that officially,) but all the Pokemon you use must only be ones catch-able by fishing in Sinnoh.

These are the standard rules for the tournament:

- All the Pokemon you use MUST be catchable by rod in Gen IV - Pokemon catchable by rod in Gen III but not in Gen IV do NOT count, so don't bother using any of those. Also, no HeartGold/SoulSilver Pokemon either - this is Sinnoh only.

- All the Pokemon you use must have been caught (NOT bred,) between November 1st 2009 and December 18th 2009. This means you can't start catching yet, but it does give you a month at least to think about your team members, their movesets, and whatever else and then about a month and a half to catch everything, which should be more than enough time.

- All the Pokemon caught and used for this MUST be yours - they cannot be gotten from trades of any sort. You must be the Original Trainer for all the Pokemon you use.

- In order to sign up for this tournament, you must have at least 50 posts. I will be willing to make a few exceptions with some people if they've been here for a while and are well-known with the community but just never post for example, but I won't be very lenient with this at all, so don't expect me to just let you join because I feel like being nice to you - it won't happen.

The following clauses will be in place for the tournament:

- Species Clause: Only one Pokemon of a given species per team. This includes Pokemon in the same evolution line (so no Poliwhirl and Poliwrath on the same team,) but if the evolution line splits (Clamperl evolving into either Huntail or Gorebyss for instance,) then the two Pokemon in the split can be used in the same team, so Huntail + Gorebyss in your team is allowed. (Clamperl + either of those two is not allowed though.)

- Evasion Clause: The use of Double Team and Minimize is completely forbidden.

- OHKO Clause: The use of Horn Drill, Guillotine, Sheer Cold and Fissure is completely forbidden.

- Item Clause: No two Pokemon in a team can have the same hold item.

- Sleep Clause: No two Pokemon can be put to sleep at any one time - if you want to put an enemy Pokemon to sleep, all others must be awake. Self-inflicted sleep status from Rest does NOT count towards this, so if the opponent uses Rest and then switches out their sleeping Pokemon, you can put another Pokemon to sleep as long as no other Pokemon on their team are sleeping due to anything other than Rest.

The following Pokemon are banned/restricted in the tournament, and the reason why is listed next to their names:

BANNED - These Pokemon cannot be used at all.

Starmie (Thunderbolt and Grass Knot devastates most of the available Pokemon, amazing Speed as well. Staryu however is NOT banned, and can still be used.)

RESTRICTED - Only one out of any of these Pokemon can be used in your team.

Gyarados (Massive Attack stat.)
Dragonite (Huge Base stat total overall, only non-Water-type available)
Kingdra (Immensely powerful in rain)
Relicanth (Head Smash destroys most of the available Pokemon, making Relicanth difficult to wall)

The following moves are banned from use, and once again the reasons why are listed:

Dragon Dance (Overpowers Gyarados, Dragonite and Kingdra even more)
Spikes, Toxic Spikes and Stealth Rock (Starmie, the only spinner available, is banned from use)
Double Team and Minimize (Evasion Clause, see above)
Horn Drill, Sheer Cold, Guillotine and Fissure (OHKO Clause, see above)

This more-or-less speaks for itself, but hacking Pokemon is against the rules. I will be checking Pokemon on teams to see if they have been hacked, and I will not hesitate to immediately disqualify anyone caught using hacked Pokemon. I may also give warnings to anyone caught hacking in this tournament, and you will be barred from any future tournaments held here as well.

EV training is allowed here, so you are free to do that if you want (and I would recommend it if you want to win.) There is no level limit here either since it'll all be held on Lv.100 Wi-Fi anyway, so feel free to train as much as you want.

I've already glossed over this, but there is to be NO BREEDING done at all for this - all Pokemon must be caught. This means no Egg Moves, basically, and hacking them onto the Pokemon will once again get you immediately disqualified for being a hacker.

I think that's more-or-less it. If you wish to take part, then post in this thread saying so and I'll add your name to the following list:

1. Shocari
2. Tangrow
3. Testbug
4. Chadwyck
5. ulises87g

6. Johto-Master
7. Evolution King
8. Blisk
9. Fumanshu

All names in bold have officially registered by PM'ing me their final team, confirming their participation. If you're definitely taking part, don't forget to PM me your team to say so. Deadline for this is December 26th - make sure you post your team ASAP or you won't be taking part!

Remember, only apply if you have at least 50 posts, because I won't let you take part otherwise unless I feel I can bend the rules to accomodate for you, but I'll only do this if there's a very, very good reason for it, i.e. if you're well-known and respected within the 'Charms community, but just never post for whatever reason. Also, note that the places in the tournament are first-come, first-served - I likely won't allow more than 16 people to take part in this unless the number of people wanting to take part shoots way beyond that number, which is very unlikely.

One last thing - here is a list of all the Pokemon you can catch for this, as well as where they can be found:

Poliwag - Route 225
Poliwhirl - Route 225
Shellder - Route 205, Valley Windworks, Fuego Ironworks
Horsea - Route 226
Seadra - Route 226
Goldeen - A helluva lot of places
Seaking - A helluva lot of places
Staryu - Canalave City, Sunyshore City
Magikarp - Sinnoh
Gyarados - Sinnoh
Dratini - Mt. Coronet
Dragonair - Mt. Coronet
Chinchou - Route 220
Lanturn - 220
Qwilfish - Iron Island
Remoraid - Lots of places
Octillery - Lots of places
Carvanha - Great Marsh
Sharpedo - Route 213, Route 222
Wailmer - Route 223, Route 230
Wailord - Route 223, Route 230
Barboach - Lots of places
Whiscash - Lots of places
Corphish - Celestic Town
Crawdaunt - Celestic Town
Feebas - Mt. Coronet
Clamperl - Route 219, Route 221
Relicanth - Route 226
Luvdisc - Route 224, Pokemon League
Finneon - Lots of places
Lumineon - Lots of places

Again, don't start catching anything until November 1st, or you'll risk being disqualified when I check your catch dates. This is enforced mostly so that everyone who signs up starts at the same standpoint in the catching/training process, unless they sign up a month late...which isn't my fault.

That's all there is to say, sign up by posting in this topic, and if you have any questions or anything, don't hesitate to ask in this topic, or to PM me directly if you feel the need to.

I would like to sign up for this. I probably would stick to it c:

Also, is using Master Balls to catch pokemon considered hacking? Because technically it wouldn't be a hacked Pokemon.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
I'm afraid I'm going to have to say no to hacking of any kind at all, or at least any hacking that I'll be aware of (obviously I won't be able to tell if people have hacked Vitamins or TMs,) but any hacking whatsoever is disallowed here, and any hacking that either breaks the rules or gives you an unfair advantage will earn you disqualification as well as a permanent ban from all future tournaments.

Go ahead and sign me up for this. I do quite like fishing for pokes, so this should be fun.

*scurries off to plan a team*

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
This doesn't seem to have gotten a great deal of attention lately - if this continues, I'll likely lower the post count requirement in order to accomodate for more people.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
This doesn't seem to have gotten a great deal of attention lately - if this continues, I'll likely lower the post count requirement in order to accomodate for more people.

I didn't even know you'd posted this to be honest XD

I think you should make a formal news posting about it just to draw some attention - both from our resident members and any newer visitors who may be interested in participating. Some of them might never view this forum but still play the game.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
...how the hell did I forget to do that?

*Epic facepalm*

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
...how the hell did I forget to do that?

*Epic facepalm*

*Pats KoL*

It happens to the best of us XD

Oh, about newer members interested in joining... If someone joined now/had joined recently and reached 50 posts by November 1st (without spamming), are they allowed to join? I didn't see mention of a registration deadline, but I could just be blind xd

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
I'd say December 18th is the absolute final deadline since any Pokemon caught after that date cannot be used here. If a member reaches 50 posts after November 1st, they are free to sign up and take part - it doesn't matter when you reach the 50 post limit as long as you do it before December 18th, essentially.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Tangrow and Testbug added to the list - hopefully, more people will sign up now that I've actually posted a news topic for this.

*Rubs large handprint off face.*

Hi. Please sign me up. I only have 45 posts right now but I plan on posting at least 5 more times before the deadline. I participated in the Baby Cup and it was loads of fun. Thank you.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
If that's the case, then come back when you hit the 50 post criteria.

I'm not signing anyone up unless they have 50 posts, regardless of whether they plan to get those 50 posts in the future or otherwise. You have well over 2 months to get 5 more posts anyway and catching isn't to be started until November 1st as well, so don't worry about missing deadlines over it - you should be fine.

I'm new to the site...

I'm going to be signing up for this once I hit 50 posts!

I just realized Buizel isn't on there and it isn't catchable fishing T-T

Hey, KoL, are people allowed to provide prizes like last time? Since I have finals around that date, I won't be able to participate. However, I do have enough time to do a little breeding. I just need to find me a Ditto...

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Certainly, any prizes would be much appreciated since I don't have an infinite supply myself.

EDIT: Just to clarify, anyone can offer prizes for this tournament if they want to. Note that offering anything hacked or cloned will be responded with some sort of punishment.

Okay, well I think I'll be around some wi-fi during December. Is there a set date for the tournament? I'll have to see where I'll be then. :p If I can't do it, I'll consider passing off a prize to you so that you can give it to the winner.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Matches will likely start within the first week after December 18th - I will likely be reasonably flexible with match dates and times, but anyone causing severe delays in match progress will likely be disqualified pretty quickly. There's no real date that each round absolutely has to be done by - it's basically a "get it done as quick as possible" thing, with competitors arranging battles when it suits them best.

Well, as of right now I will go ahead and join. If anything changes I'll be sure to notify you.

Now I just have to actually fish for pokemon.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Chadwyck added, be sure to let me know well in advance if something comes up, if you can.

I don't expect anything to. And even if it does, my desire to actually participate in a tournament will cause it to disintegrate.

I was a bit surprised when I saw that Lanturn and Chinchou were allowed being all electric and what not. This looks like a cool event I hope I can make 50 posts in time to join/ find a wifi spot to participate.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I was a bit surprised when I saw that Lanturn and Chinchou were allowed being all electric and what not. This looks like a cool event I hope I can make 50 posts in time to join/ find a wifi spot to participate.

I figure it's because Starmie is really fast, powerful, and can learn Grass Knot - so even Barboach's line couldn't protect against it very well. Lanturn's type combo is great for this tournament, but not as deadly overall.

Ruko

Bearded Trout Warrior
If anyone wants a detailed explanation of why something is or isn't restricted, you can feel free to PM me XD
KoL and I went through many possibilities to determine what should be banned, restricted or left as it is.

For a short explaination of Starmie vs Lanturn - Even with STAB accompanying Lanturn, Starmie would actually hit harder every time [as long as they had equal training]

Lanturn is also one of the slowest pokemon in the tourney, so it won't be attacking many things without taking some hits first.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Starmie was essentially banned since it can hit every single other Pokemon taking part for super-effective damage with the exception of Kingdra who only suffers a Dragon weakness, and it is also by Base Stats (I believe) the fastest Pokemon in the available list, meaning it will very likely outspeed anything not using Swift Swim or a Choice Scarf. I think these factors combined are more than enough reason to bar it from use.

A thousand times yes. Sign me up!

This sounds incredibly interesting. And with breeding out of the way, I might just have a chance! :p

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Cody added to the list also. Shame you won't be able to fish for Aipom - maybe next time. :p

Certainly, any prizes would be much appreciated since I don't have an infinite supply myself.

EDIT: Just to clarify, anyone can offer prizes for this tournament if they want to. Note that offering anything hacked or cloned will be responded with some sort of punishment.

Oh, goody, KoLly! I have bred this:

Tourney
Level 1 Gastly @ Odd Keystone
Hypnosis
Will ‘O Wisp (Yay! Special move I bred on)
Lick

Is this acceptable? It's not hacked or cloned. When is it due by?

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Any time between now and the beginning of the tournament preferably - that way I can have a list of available prizes right off the bat as soon as matches begin.

Also, what Nature is that Gastly?

Well, seeing that it's very possible that I'll have wi-fi then, sign me up! I'll inform you of anything comes up. I doubt any thing will though...

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Lucario454 signed up, let me know ASAP if something does come up.

Arrgh!
My semester ends on the 22nd and I only really have Wifi at school. I need to find some free access around home. I'm going to tentatively say I'm signing up.

Status
Not open for further replies.