• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

New Pokémon GO Information Revealed

Demelza

Eevee Tamer
Staff member
Pokemon go screenshot 2.jpg
It seems like a long time coming but today we finally have some new information regarding mobile game, Pokémon GO. Thanks to an update on Pokémon.com and the official press release we now know the following details:

pokemon go screenshot 1.jpg
[prebreak][/prebreak]​
Official Press Release said:
In Pokémon GO, players around the globe will explore their surroundings to find and catch wild Pokémon hiding in our midst. Some wild Pokémon appear only in their native environments; for example, Water-type Pokémon may only appear near lakes and oceans. As players explore the world around them, their phones will vibrate to let them know a Pokémon is nearby. Once they have encountered a Pokémon, it can be caught by using the phone’s touch screen to throw a Poké Ball. Poké Balls and other special items can be found at PokéStops located at interesting places such as public art installations, historical markers and monuments.

As players progress through Pokémon GO, their Trainer level will increase, enabling them to capture more-powerful Pokémon and gain access to more items. Some Pokémon can be evolved if the same species is caught on multiple occasions. Pokémon Eggs, which can be found at PokéStops, will hatch after players walk a certain distance. Players will be able to impress their friends by unlocking achievement medals that are earned by completing a variety of challenges.

During gameplay, Pokémon GO players will be encouraged to join one of three teams and engage in Gym battles with other teams. Once they have joined a team, players will have the ability to assign their Pokémon to empty Gyms. Like PokéStops, Gyms can be found at real locations in the world, and because only one Pokémon per player can be placed at a given Gym, team members will need to work together to build a strong defense. A Gym claimed by one team can be challenged by the other two teams.

The Pokémon Company also stated that the mobile game is still in active development and not yet finalized. No other information, such as a release date, has been given yet but they did mention that Pokémon GO field testing (which is currently happening in Japan) will be expanding to other markets at some point in the future.

Last edited:
Awesome! I hope we can get a release date soon! I was hoping for info such as what generations will be included, if there will be shinies or not, and what happens if a super rare Pokemon appears at the dentist during your checkup and you have to catch it! (it could happen! I hear that Mew will be located at your local dentist!)

So far it sounds pretty similar to Ingress in how landmarks are used and how players go head to head. It actually sounds almost exactly like Ingress but with Pokemon and Augmented reality slapped on to keep it "fresh."

Here's some gameplay footage-- so far it looks like Ingress plus the battle screen/pokemon overlaid on input from your phone camera, and already I'm expecting the dark spectre of microtransactions for the various pokeballs.

I think it's got a ways to go before it's a killer app that activates millennials' latent programming to abandon their homes and jobs to catch 'em all, but we'll see what happens.

ANNOUNCEMENT I have confirmation that twice a month if you go to your local dentist you will encounter a shiny or non shiny mew!!!!!

lol, why does Mew like the dentist so much? does she even have teeth? DOES SHE FEED ON PAIN

Wow! It's not as good as I thought, but still wow! I hope to know the release date and if it will be on Amazon soon!

ANNOUNCEMENT I have confirmation that twice a month if you go to your local dentist you will encounter a shiny or non shiny mew!!!!! PROOF:
283671_trainercard-Dentist.png
(I made this card, but this is proof you will find mew at the dentist!)
Wow..... Thats sad because I never really go to the dentist. But my teeth are FINE!

At least it gives you something to do while hes DRILLING HOLES IN YOUR MOUTH!!

But what if Pokemon GO is out then, I'll bare the pain if it means I get meow! (oops sorry I meant mew!)
Then you could just walk into the waiting room, catch mew, walk out. Tada!

Last edited by a moderator:
Beta testers have confirmed that shinies are in the game and (this is incorrect information, disregard what I said about shinies) that the beta (though we still don't know about the finished game) only features the original 151.

Last edited:
Boy: *Walking down the street*
I cream truck goes by.

Boy: *Phone vibrates* *Looks up to see the truck*

*Truck drives away*

Boy: *Runs after it and breaks in through the back door*

MUCH LATER

Cop: Breaking into an ice cream truck?

Boy: I needed the Vanillish!

This is also possible

*woman breaks into the grave yard at night and is caught*

Cop : why did you break into the grave yard miss?

Woman : gengar is here!

Cop : serious?! Where?! *pulls out his phone*

Well me and my cousin are very excited for this game and even made a challenge to see who gets more legendary pokemon

Time to fill the bathroom sink with water and wait for a wild kyoger to appear XD

That last sentence tho.

This is also possible

*woman breaks into the grave yard at night and is caught*

Cop : why did you break into the grave yard miss?

Woman : gengar is here!

Cop : serious?! Where?! *pulls out his phone*

or...

*a man is in a coma because of drowning*

*after he wokes up*

Doctor: Why and how did you drowned?

Man: I saw a Kyogre in the beach, but it's too powerful, it used hydro pump on me and I drowned.

Last edited by a moderator: