• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Most disturbing/scariest boss in a video game

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that the most disturbing boss ever is Giygas from Earthbound. It gave me nightmares for three weeks. Not to mention that there's a fetus hidden in its second form...

I`d have to say the blind prisoner guy in RE4 so god damn scary. Like he had claws longer than wolverine and at any moment he hears you he charges towards you and slashes you head off.

I always thought Hojo in FF7 was a disturbing kinda guy... I mean, mad scientist he is, but turn yourself in to a freakshow? I think not.

Some of the stuff in FF8 isn't so nice too - I remember some kind of blob thing ruling Balamb Garden, can't remember for the life of me because its been so long since I last played it.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
I agree with Professor Noctowl - Giygas takes the No.1 spot for me as the most disturbing boss in video game history. The fact that Giygas's dialogue is taken from the creator's memories of a murder/rape scene he saw in a movie as a child is disturbing by itself, but Giygas's eerie, skull-like image (with the fetus head silhouette in the background as well) combined with the eerie, sinister "music" in the background makes Giygas quite a fearsome creature, and rightfully so - he IS the "embodiment of evil itself" after all.

In second place is the SA-X from Metroid Fusion. Even though his very poor AI becomes very apparent late on in the game, the first encounters with him are a lot tougher to deal with since you can't damage him at all, and one shot from him will freeze you solid, essentially sealing your fate. The fourth encounter with him is notable as being the nastiest, since you (again) can't harm him, although you can't be frozen by his Ice Beam anymore and his attack is no longer a one-hit death. Entering the room he is in causes a sinister, ominous theme to play in the background to indicate SA-X's presence - drop down through a hole in the floor and the SA-X will be waiting for you below, where it proceeds to maniacally chase you down in its attempt to blast you to pieces. The raw ferocity with which it attacks you combined with the fact that you can't hurt it initially makes it quite a frightening beast at first...until you come to realize how thick the SA-X actually is - long story.

I'd say that Giygas does in fact take the cake, in which case, I'll name my 2nd creepiest encounter.

Marx Soul.

Anyone who has played Kirby games knows his name and fears him accordingly. THE MOST difficult boss in Kirby- the first time around, at least- drives you mad. It took me six tries to beat him in Super Star Ultra. And that creepy-arse scream at the end just... God.

-AL

I think that the most disturbing boss is Nightmare from DMC.I mean it`s special move is that it absorbs you and sends you to the underworld Then you have to fight one of the previous bosses.At the begining,it spreads all throughout the room untill you do enough damage to a certain thing on a wall. It has an ice beam and freezes you solid for a few seconds. And out of nowhere it stabs you a few times.But, the only way you can defeat it, is when it opens it`s back, there is a glowing ball.You have to either shoot or hit it.

S

sheesheesh

Definitely Dimentio from Super Paper Mario. He seems to be gay, he has his own dimension. He shoots bursts of magic at you, and he can send you to Hell.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Yeah, the SA-X does have its creepiness in-game, stalking you like the god damned Xenomorphs from Alien...

But she has NOTHING on that bitch Nightmare and its MELTING THUCKING FACE.

Giygas didn't really stand out to me that much. Other than being a cool concept it was just a distorted field of wavy shaky wtf to me.

Honestly there weren't a lot of bosses I found 'disturbing' or 'scary' at all. They were either 'wtf were the creators on?!' or '... HOLY MOTHER OF AWESOME.' to me.

I think as far as terrifying bosses, the Saccubus (spelled that) in the first Phantasy Star was frelling terrifying when I was a kid and first played that game. But then, it IS a nightmare.

(for the uninitiated, you'd go to sleep in the governor of Motavia's mansion for free, get healed up, and all of a sudden, DEMONFLOATINGHEADFROMNOWHERE'd! It completely rapes you no matter WHAT you attempt to do to it, you brace yourself for a quick Game Over... And then the game goes 'But it was only a dream...' Bastards. >>;

Nevermind the fact that you later find out said DEMONFLOATINGHEAD looks exactly like the head of the final boss of the game, who, unlike what you think ISN'T the corrupted evil king that's been screwing the entire star system, but rather this... demonic alien "Space Flea From No Where" to borrow a phrase from TVTropes. XD

I'd also say that the Doomsday Device's brain in Septerra Core was also rather disturbing, but then again so was the entire doomsday device (Basically, think a giant bio-mechanical warhead that burrows into the core of a continent, sprouts tendrils that burst out of various locations in the ground and completely rape the gravity of that continent, raising it up (the gravity changes of course creating your typical calamities and destruction and killing most everyone) until it smashes into the floating continent above it. >>;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQZgnd7EZ_A&feature=fvw

There you go. This is something I found (Duh) on Youtube. I actually agree with the guy.

-AL

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Okay. NOW I remember what is the most disturbing boss ever.

Leopaldon from Guilty Gear Isuka.

leopaldonani.gif

That has to be one of the creepiest thing I've EVER seen, Stel. I haven't even played that game before and I'm going to vote it as the most disturbing boss ever

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Hmm, Leopaldon looks pretty epic actually, although someone was probably smoking something pretty strong when they came up with him. He is pretty disturbing though, what with him being, to put it simply "some dude with some other dude inside another dude's mouth."

...and I've no idea how I managed to forget Nightmare's oozing, green face when I was talking about Metroid Fusion, although generally its creepiness for me was overshadowed by how much fun it was to pump Nightmare's face with 30+ missiles whilst it floats slowly towards you.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
The Guilty Gear series is full of wtf designs alongside much awesome.

And some designs incorporate both.
Like this.

justicewalkbackani.gif

Awesome: SHE'S A BIOMECHANICAL WTF.
WTF: It's a SHE. And she's THIS THING's mother:

dizgrrr1.gif

Dizzy (n.) - Guilty Gear character. See also 'Fanservice'.

But the wtfest thing about Guilty Gear has to be Bridget.

bridgetlaneattack1.gif
IT'S A TRAP. Enough said.

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
For me, bosses are scary or disturbing if they are ridiculously powerful for the game. In Pikmin and Pikmin 2, there are huge incredibly powerful robot-spider things which run rampant and can squash most of your Pikmin in a single move. Their design is not scary in itself (unless you are afraid of robot spiders), but their power is so much greater than yours that it takes real effort to defeat them. These things:
Beady Long Legs, Man-at-Legs and Raging Long Legs. Ugh.

I don't normally swear all that much, but Zelda games make me curse like a trooper. (I'm sure there's a webcomic about this somewhere, but I can't find it right now). Small monsters like skultulas dropping down from the ceilings and wall/floormasters scare me, and by the time we get to the boss I'm a nervous wreck! I haven't finished the last dungeon in Ocarina of Time because I get too freaked out by it!

Condemned 2.
Going into a mansion... thinking its a bit creepy, but nothing much... until..
A bear.
A great. big. angry. grizzly, bear. And it wants to kill you. You have no gun, nor any other weapon- so you have to run for your damned life, through all these narrow halls and dark rooms. There are lots of dead ends, and likewise lots of things can (and probably will) go wrong. One misplaced step, or wrong move- and the bear will be eating your unlucky innards faster then you can blurt out a curse word.
Most tense 'boss' level I've played in a game as of yet. Great fun.

Oh.. and if nothing else..
Robo-Hitler, from the original DOOM. Most awesome concept for a boss there was, and ever will, be.

I have to agree with Professor Noctowl, Giygas is absolutely terrifying, especially his dialogue... but honestly? Sander Cohen in Bioshock. That guy is just... ugh. Then again, the fight against Andrew Ryan wasn't really a boss fight, but it was still scary as hell because you couldn't control what you were doing.
Also, if anyone here is into Persona 3, some of the bosses in that game can be pretty rattling.
Add in any fight from the Silent Hill series and that's about it.

Zero from Kirby's Dream Land 3 (he's also in Kirby 64, but he's scarier in 3). He rips his own eye, with blood, to kill you. That's freaky! O_O

Oh, and Giygas is nightmarish too.

Status
Not open for further replies.