• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Money. Money, Money, Money, Money...

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Here's the deal folks, today I got my e-mail from our server hosts concerning how much I owe for extra bandwidth used this month.

We managed to go over our limit by OVER A GIGABYTE. Stinging me £25.00 odd.

The simple flat out response to this is, if this continues and becomes a monthly thing it's going to become a serious drain on my cash-flow.

I've been bouncing around the idea of advertising on Pokecharms for a while now, something I never really wanted to do - but may have to in order to help finance the site.

So, it's up to you guys how you feel about seeing an ad on the main site, or on the forums or wherever. Hence, I leave this topic here for comment on the idea.

If you don't mind, i've got to go to bed now so I can get up for work in the morning and slave away to try and keep the site alive. ^^

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
A... Gig?! :shock:

I really don't want some big ad slapped on the front page... I'd rather go through the trails of setting up a PayPal account (even though my sister has had nothing but problems with them). I guess the question is, how much would I need to contribute to keep us ad free? As you know, I don't have a steady job nor am really able to have one during University :?

Though... If it meant keeping Charms open/untainted I could deal with it (I hope) ^^

Just no more ban threats! :p

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
Do you know how you managed to go over by that much? Do your ISP keep logs? I didn't even know there was a gigabyte's worth of material here (you can fit one hell of a lot of text into one gig).

Actually, I am now having a horrible thought that it might have been my fault for posting my scans of Pokemon Valentine's cards directly into the forum instead of linking to them on my site. I thought that it wouldn't make any difference, though, because it's just a link... :oops:

Out of interest, how much is your limit? In other words, is 1 extra GB 1% or 10% or 100%?

I don't much care about adverts on the main site, but I HATE adverts on forums, especially some of the ones they have on the Pokeschool forum. Basically anything that flashes repeatedly makes me feel dizzy & sick, and it's especially bad to have flashing side ads that I keep seeing in the corner of my eyes. I'm surprised no one with photosensitive epilepsy's had trouble with them, tbh.

Prof. Cinders

Mathemagician
Staff member
Administrator
If we get ads, don't amke them huge flashy ones. They're just plain annoying. Use discreet ads or pay up, and don't over-infest the place. That's all I ask when it comes to ads, really. So, if we have big ones, it'll be plain stupid. *shrugs* I'm probably not the only one who thinks this.