• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Minecraft

I bought Minecraft a couple of weeks ago, and I have to say, I really enjoy mining and never finding coal :3 In all seriousness, Minecraft is great. I've recently changed my skin to make me look like Doctor Who :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Minecraft is a great game. From mining for copper dirt trees. To using your materials to build house's planks rafts. (by using ingredants) The only creepy part is at night when the zombies and creepers allcome out :p

I love the Charms server but I can't actually play on it. What I mean is that it has a MAJOR lag problem.
Lets just say it takes like 30 seconds just to mine a sand block wiht a stone shovel rather the the usual 3 seconds. Also I'm getting irratated when I can't tell weather or not a skeleton is shooting at me or not.

I noticed what might have caused the trouble. This is my private connection, and sometimes I have to actually use it.

Server should work better now.

Actually I have noticed a change for the better ,thx for fixing it a little Fuman.
Now it seems like Slowpoketail (Porkchop) farming and Luvdisc (fish) farming more easier. It also make Ariados(sp?) (spider) fighting more easier. By the way I have a texture pack to make things more Poke'mon related.

So you guys have most likely noticed that the server hasnt been up 24/7 in the last few days.
This is because I'm moving right now, and after the 28th I cant guarantee to host the server at all.

This might bring an end to the Fuman hosting era.

I'm going to do the same thing data did back then when he wasnt able to run the server perfectly:
I'll zip up the server, and give it to someone who is able to host it, so that no progress is lost.

Are there any people who are interested?

...Well, if no one is able to host the server other then you, I guess I might have a try at it once I've bought my new laptop. Unfortunately, this might take a while- And along with that, I absolutely suck at anything with maps, files, zipping, routers, all that shit. I've failed to install even the most simple Minecraft mod. So unless I'd get a full explanation, I wouldn't be able to do it. In addition, I wouldn't be able to keep the server up 24/7.

Maybe Data can take the server back somehow, if he's able to?

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
No go here, I'm afraid. My bandwidth situation hasn't changed, so it'd still be the laggy old dog it was last time I hosted.

I actually didnt see your post before.

Hosting the minecraft server is EXTREMELY simple. Its about as hard as starting the game.
The thing is, that to actually get it to run for many people you gotta let your system run 24/7.

OR you could talk to the players, and maybe tell them that you can only run it on set hours every day. Its not the best option, but its an option.

I don't really think leaving my laptop running 24/7 is a very good idea, no, it'll probably lower the life expectancy of it by quite a degree. Since our visitors are, as far as I am aware, only Britians, Americans and me as the one Dutchmen, it'll be difficult to set up times. I am GMT+1, the Britains are GMT, and the Americans are- please correct me if I'm wrong- GMT-5 to GMT-9. But, anyway, I guess we'll see about that once I actually get my laptop. Up 'till then, unfortunately, the server will be down unless someone else can take it in the meantime.

Sir Red

Charms' Caped Crusader
As somebody who previously hosted the server (albeit a crude first attempt at it) let me tell you that by hosting it on your computer we all would have to deal with your life for when playing. :x So obviously that throws a wrench in there for European-American players what with times available. Also, any and all internet hic-ups on your computer will knock down the server. :x That's why it's easier if you have an independent server to run it on rather than your own personal computer/laptop.

Also, any and all internet hic-ups on your computer will knock down the server. :x That's why it's easier if you have an independent server to run it on rather than your own personal computer/laptop.

This is not entirely true. If you set up dyndns then server hiccups arent a problem. Same for IP changes.

I never ran the server on a seperate server computer. Everything was on my personal one.

Sir Red

Charms' Caped Crusader
Fumanshu said:
This is not entirely true. If you set up dyndns then server hiccups arent a problem. Same for IP changes.

I never ran the server on a seperate server computer. Everything was on my personal one.

Where were you when I was first trying to run it? T_T Those were my main two issues with the whole thing. :x

But yeah, it's good to know that there is a way around it, assuming somebody wants to run it very often on their laptop (and obviously the time zone problem still exists if they do not run it 24/7). My computer probably would be bogged down too much trying to run it, as it had issues running it last time with only like three or four of us on there max. :x

So yeah, if Toastie is up for it, I say give it a try. ^^

Does anyone know somebody with a server maybe?
The traffic really isnt that big with minecraft.

One option that also exists, which I talked with data about is paid hosting.

I think 4 slots cost like 8bucks a month. We didnt like it that much because paying for it doesnt seem all that nice, but that could be an option.

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
You can run two servers at once, just bind them to different ports. As Fu said, it's not very bandwidth intensive. In my case, it just couldn't handle being on the same connection as three Source games on constantly, Mumble, and iPlayer. (none of which were anything to do with me, I might add!)

IS YOUR CAPS LOCK BROKEN?

Good to see another 'Charmsian has bought the game; The more, the merrier. That said, the 'Charms server is still down until further notice, so we'll have to find something else. On that subject, I'm trying to get my laptop as soon as possible, being within the next few weeks or so. Once I get it, I will PM Fuman so I can get the server back up.

On a completely unrelated note, Blazi; If you haven't started watching the Yogscast (BlueXephos) Minecraf Adventures by now, start doing so right away. It's the funniest thing you'll see in your life.

Good to know ^^

And yes, they did. As soon as the server is back up, you have to make a giant, decorated piston gate for you sky thing. It is nescessary. On that note, I should make some alterations to my lighthouse. For one thing, the actual light from the lava chamber is above the clouds, which doesn't look very nice.

Maybe it's a good idea to build something nice at the spawn point?

(And pardon the Shadow Of Israphel fandom, but we need an airship dock. With airships.)

We already got a tunnel at the spawn point which is pretty solid. I could completely level the mountain between the spawn point and the place everyone is at, but I dont know if thats needed.

I might also scrap the skything and start a new project.

I know how to build a fountain.

I just need fences, a bucket of water, and some green wool.

Seeing as how laggy my Minecraft is, I might have to borrow the bucket/dye off one of you guys.

And yes, I am watching Bluexephos, just not as often as I would like.

I know how to build a fountain out of glowstone and glass, with a core pillar of lava. Working from that, I figured out how to build a Dynamo- And I will build one on the server when it's up, so you can see what a Dynamo actually is. On that note, we need a free-to-use Nether portal for glowstone/netherrack harvesting. I think I have a load of obsidian down in one of my caves.

I'm thinking it'd be fun to make some community buildings, like a huge farm. I've learnt how to make an easy-mass-harvesting farm, and if we all had a seperate part, we'd never be out of wheat.

It'd be a shame if you abandoned the sky thing project, in my opinion. If you're willing to put it up for adoption, I'd be glad to take it from you and build the airship docks I was talking about, or something else.

I'm sorry I haven't posted sooner, because I said that I'd be interested in hosting the server and then haven't said anything since :>

I did look in to hosting a server. However, I'm still worried on how much memory and stuff it would take up, therefore slowing down a computer which is already fairly slow.
Also, I was confused at how to set up a server. The video I watched went on about dns codes and my brain went into a bit of a meltdown.

If someone could explain how to easily host a server, then I would test it out to see how slow it made the computer and how much memory it took up, and if that wasn't too bad then I could host it for a few hours a day.

There would need to be some other people hosting it for people in other timezones though as I live in the UK.

I suck at minecraft. YAY ME!
la-plz.gif

Fu has sent Tailon the server, and it's open from time to time, I believe. I'm not sure, though- I've only been on once since time zones are messing up time schedules.

Good news, though- My credit is starting to build to a good laptop or PC, and I expect to have bought one in the next couple of months. Once I do, I'll post here, get the server from Fu and run it as much as possible, possibly even 24/7 if the computer in question will be able to handle it.

Also, LoN, that looks really good! Was it a vanilla effort?

I have no idea what a vanilla effort is o.o

I just made it from the ground up for the sake of it, if that's what you mean. From my head.

LoN said:
I have no idea what a vanilla effort is o.o

I just made it from the ground up for the sake of it, if that's what you mean. From my head.

Vanilla means the normal game, without mods or texture packs (e.g. an inventory hack that gives you unlimited items.)

I LOVE Minecraft. It's one of the most addictive, creative, compelling games I've ever played. I agree with LON, it is SHIT SCARY. Just wait till you hear a faint hissing behind you...

I'm all up for a Minecraft server. It will be the second one I am part of, me and my best friends have an all natural server (We created everything using blocks we mined, we havnt spawned a thing). I'll upload some pictures next time I post, although our server is down until 1.9 due to a bukkit server bug.

Woah, I just looked on the most recent page of posts, and I found out there is a 'Charms server. Where can I find this? (as a note, my skin is a Machoke. :p)