• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Legendary Pokemon: Running dry?

I just think it should be noted, that nintendo is already runnig out of ideas.
Celebi=time
Dialga=time
Deoxys=matter
Palkia=matter

I mean come on!
Do they have to be so contridictory about the masters of time and space?

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Not exactly. Celebi is not a 'master' of time. Celebi's role is a protector/guardian spirit of forests. It is capable of time travel, but never has it claimed mastery over time. Dialga, in the mythology of the Sinnoh Region, is responsible to the flow of time - however, we're talking myths here, so yes.

And Deoxys is NOT a master of matter. It is, quite simply, an alien life form. From SPACE. Where no one can hear you scream. >>

I dont want anymore legendaries BUT I will condridict myself here; I would really love to seee a fire/dragon with levitate combo legendary or normal, whats up with dragon anyway it should b considred fire cuz the attacks always look like fire... but yea fire/dragon with levitate would kick butt

I'd love to see a fire/thunder type. fire/dragon would be cool, but it would have double resistance to fire attacks. lol.

As for legendaries in general, I'm getting tired of acton replay shinies/legends, even though that might be the only way to get some of them. I think Nintendo shouldve made them somewhat more obtainable, instead of having pokemon advertising as being compatible with the a/r, which is telling kids to cheat.

I wouldnt mind using it for experimental stuff, or even just getting a "trophy" set of shiny legends, but some people rely on it so much, they forget how to play. Why spend more money just to beat the game falsely, when you can spend less money and have a more rewarding feeling at the end? Isnt that why we play Pokemon?

Bottom line, Im glad the legits are extremely rare and probably only rumored REAL, but they should be at least a little easier to obtain without cheating.

I'm okay with legendaries actually I only get them for collection anyways. . . I don't know but I have a guess I'm not saying this is true but. . .if people are getting upset about legendaries is that its too easy to get them. like I said that's a guess.

The only thing that bugs me about legendaries is that when you go to catch them they are like anyother pokemon with a master ball. . . I think legendaries should be like the ghost marowack on blue version where they can simply evade the pokeball/masterball etc. that would make a legendary a lot more interesting to catch than just using a paralyzing attack or something

The amount of legendaries is getting ridiculous and even the types are annoying. Why hasn't there been a fire/dragon yet? Why do they make certain legendaries only obtainable by an event or hacking? And if they are so epic, why can I catch Dialga with a Great Ball?

Limit the amount and make those battles truly epic. That way, they can truly be called legendary.

Yeas, why can't they make different types? Like, pure electric or poision. I guess the psychic types have always seemed more powerful. So it's only natural to extend that ability to where the pokemon can do unthinkible things. But Nitendo seriously needs to cut back on the power of the legendaries. I mean, creators of time, universe, and existence? On every game, the legendaries keep getting more and more powerful, but what can get more powerful than that? I say that in the next game the legendaries won't be as powerful as they are in D/P, mainly because all of the super powerful roles are filled in!

And if they are so epic, why can I catch Dialga with a Great Ball?

Yes, that I find absolutely ridiculous. How come I can catch Arceus with a PokeBall if it's so powerful?

And the Dialga/Palkia awakening...that I found very interesting, but too predictable. Seriously...how do Mesprit, Uxie, and Azelf know exactly where to go and what to do? They seem just too powerful to me.

And the runners. We need more of the runners. They actually provide a challenge. Or even better: a legendary that teleports away at random times during the battle. Making them harder to catch makes them, in my opinion, more amusing and therefore they won't run dry as quickly.

The runners were interesting but it got sort of annoying. When I go after them, they teleport away before I can get to their area. And when I'm raising my new lucario, I suddenly find Mesprit and Cresselia right after it!? But I agree with mudskipper. Suddenly running would keep the battles interested.

R

Roxxas

I hate the runners. I mean seriously, why delay the inevitable? Just to keep my occupied with a game? That's kind of lame to do seeing how it'll just tick off people.

Maybe doing more of a not-impossible event to do in-game, or even complete other games like Pokemon Ranger to get Pokemon like Manaphy. I find that more fun then continuously running after a Pokemon all across the country.

As some/most people on this forum believe that there is a G/S/C remake to be released...Whenever Nintendo pleases :) There's no hope of any NEW legendaries there. There's always going to be too many psychics. Is it always going to follow this pattern?

2 legendary duo, one for each game *e.g Dialga and Palkia*
3 Legendary trio, 1 always runs about *e.g Raikou Suicine Entei*
? Mystery event pkmn *e.g Darkrai Arceus Shaymin*

Well, anyway, I don't think so. Or at least, people at pkmn hq (Game Freak? Nintendo? Pokemon? I don't know) need to invest in some new types.

However, with the release of D/P came Darkrai, Shaymin and Arceus, but, come on, no-one can get them!

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Legendaries are much too similar. I'd like to see a Steel-Dragon type or a Fire/Water type.

It seems that you forget that Dialga is a Steel/Dragon type. :p

Also, just because this comment was completely and utterly irrelevant to anything, You get a warning. Good DAY, sir!

However, with the release of D/P came Darkrai, Shaymin and Arceus, but, come on, no-one can get them!
I've heard that the only way you can get them is to hack. But no one wants to do that. And all of th legendary dog trio run about. But if you ask me Entei is the hardest to catch. [size=3pt]Darn fire attacks.[/size]

But anyways, back on topic. Like I said before psychic has always been the more powerful type, so it is only natural to see just how powerful you can get. But they have made some types other than psychic.

Fire/Flying= Moltres, Ho-oh
Ice/Flying= Articuno
Electric/Flying= Zaptos
Water= Kyogre, Manaphy, Suicune
Dark= Darkrai (Woot! Pure Dark!)
Grass= Shaymin (Pointless, but at least it's a pure Grass)
Rock= Regirock
Fire= Entei
Electric= Raikou (So there IS a pure electic Jappio)
Ice= Regice
Steel= Registeel
Water/Dragon= Palkia (Odd combination, and how can Palkia be Water?)
Ground= Groudon
Dragon/Flying= Rayquaza
Ghost/Dragon= Giratina (Yet another odd combination)
Steel/Fire= Heatran (Another odd combination)
Normal= Regigigas, Arceus (I wouldn't exactly call Arceus "Normal" but that's what its classified as)

Tell me if I missed any, but yes, that's not a whole lot but I avoided all that are Psychic or part-Psychic. So a lot are Psychic, (stop making those dang Psychics!)

You forgot the DIamond exclusive: Dialga.

It's a Dragon/Steel type. (How they got Steel I don't know?).

You can actually get Darkrai, but good luck unless you went a saw the 10th movie (Or was it 11th?), but other wise, yeah they're all hacked.

Yep they do in Gold/Silver/Crystal. In FireRed/LeafGreen, only one runs around. Suicune is the one I think is the hardest, so yeah.

That's my rant.

In my opinion legendary pokemon help make a richer storyline in the pokemon games. When I used to play g/s/c I loved trying to catch the almighty Ho-oh and running around trying to capture the legendary beast. But now in the new pokemon games Diamond and Pearl we must do MORE things (ridiculous or not) to capture the legendary pokemon. Something new I'd like to bring in however is the pokemon trading station! It helps out a lot when you're trying to find a pokemon that is like impossible for you to get (like SHAYMIN aand DARKRAI event pokemon ;D)

BUT- I have to admit who ever creates the new legendary pokemon have run a little dry.

One example of something I find odd is- in the new movie, palkia vs dialga vs darkrai, I don't understand why darkrai is in the movie when he's not apart of the legendary trio! ???

It should have been giratina but oh well?

anyways, I also find that they should have left the first generation pokemon untouched because that is my favourite generation and like no offence but wtf? giving magneton a new evolve form? That's a little pointless..

Another reason why you could tell that they ran out of ideas for pokemon was because they usually always make like 150 new pokemon, and this time they only made like 107 :S.

anyways sorry if i was a little of topic :p

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
I personally believe that Darkrai is in the 10th movie because, honestly, THE TENTH MOVIE WAS ABOUT DARKRAI. It was probably planned to be so in the first place. New movies usually introduce an unobtainable legend spawning event potential, and they usually focus on the event legend involved. Dialga and Palkia were introduced because they ARE after all the cornerstone of Diamond and Pearl.

As for the inane ZOMG IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN GIRATINA! comment. First of all, Giratina is not officially confirmed to be a third part of a 'triangle'. They may have some similar features (like all being dragon type and having similar faces) but that's where the connection ends really. Let's have a look at the Sinnoh Creation Myth, shall we?

[size=8pt]In the beginning, there was only a churning turmoil of chaos.
At the heart of chaos, where all things became one, appeared an Egg.
Having tumbled from the vortex, the Egg gave rise to the Original One.
From itself, two beings the Original One did make.
Time started to spin.
Space began to expand.
From itself again, three living things the Original One did make.
The two beings wished, and from them, matter came to be.
The three living things wished, and from them, spirit came to be.
The world created, the Original One took to unyielding sleep...
[/size]

So, out of no where, comes an egg, and out hatches the 'Original One' - obviously Arceus. Arceus supposedly first created Dialga and Palkia - creating the flow of time and expansion of space, and thus the physical world - and then life in form of Psychic Midget Patrol (Uxie, Mesprit and Azelf), who with their essence of Wisdom, Intelligence and Willpower - created sentient life. And then Arceus buggered off somewhere, leaving the world behind.

Typical creation myth (with some interesting parallels to Taoism - Creation started with a single energy, dividing into a duality, then into three parts, and finally into the rest of creation) rather similar to quite a few creation myths in our world. However, you may have noticed, perhaps, the conspicuous absence of anything even resembling Giratina?

There is no mention of Giratina anywhere. It's NOT part of some epic triangle. DEAL with it.

But then again, Giratina could have a different purpose. Giratina is described in the Pok

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Every region has its legends and myths. And every game WILL have unobtainable event creatures because they make money for Nintendo.

Personally I was never 'excited' by the concept of catching legends. It was just another thing to do ingame, or NOT to do if you couldn't be arsed to. I usually don't even bother - I am one of those people who believe that using Legendaries in battle is cheap and a mark of n00bery. I catch the ones the plot throws at me, but otherwise, they can go hybridize themselves with a duck for all I care.

However I do appreciate the mythical value of theirs to the world. And I also highly doubt that Game Freak will 'stop making legendaries before it gets boring' - it's kind of like asking them not to flesh out their regions. XP

Unlike most of the people here I'm indifferent to the first gen's legendaries. With the exception of Articuno, they're nothing special. Articuno is cool I guess; I would never use it in battle but its still cool. Legendaries' coolness peaked in the second generation where I thought every legendary was cool expect Celebi then it was all down hill from there. With the third generation, only Kyogre interested me (and incidentally it is the only legendary I've ever seriously trained) and with the fourth generation only Dialga didn't suck. Shaymin is a total abomination with the worst movepool of any legendary. That's my opinion with their coolness. ~rant over~

But seriously there are, what, 13 legendaries in the 4th gen. WAY too many. I agree with Pendantic Espeon: they have lost their legendaryness. I'm also not a fan of "event only" legendaries. Hacking is almost guaranteed. However I don't think they should stop making legendaries though I'm not exactly a fan of them. They should just cut down on the number and no 'diety' Pokemon. I don't know why but I found that creepy. I would also like to see some lower level legendaries. Kyogre and Dialga were tolerable because they weren't at stupidly high levels.

At this point, I think Nintendo expects players to hack. I live in a small town in Louisiana; there is no chance of an event coming here. And since there is no way to get them ingame, we hack. It is ridiculous. We just want to complete the pokedex for crying out loud!

They really hindered the whole legendary issue with DP that was way to excessive with useless ones like Heatran and shaymin. reduce their number, keep like 2 in each generation (one for each game), maybe three if they pitch in an event one.

:) Legendary pokemon have much variety, powering the pokemon series, but they also do have their common things, which define their legendaryisim.

For instance: Your basic legendary can be found only once, cannot be bred, is often s phychic type, and has overly high stats requiring much training to level up.

In other words, Spiritomb is not legendary as you can find them in lost tower after repairing it, along with other pokemon...

Manaphy is exempted from the no breeding thing, adding more fun for every one along with variety.

In conclusion, legendaries are a interesting a varying source of entertainment that will keep the pokemon series going for a long time.

8581ff73b9b2b17283968ccd5a5ce9a8.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I can see why you started this thread. Dialga and Palkia were NOT why a bought Diamond. (I bought Diamond to get Lucario. And Luxray... And maybe Darkrai... and a monkey with flame comin' out of its a$$... ... ;D) When I bought Sapphire, I wanted... neigh, NEEDED a Kyogre. I am still drafting a water team to take advantage of it's ability...

It's not that there are too many. They're just starting to repeat themselves. D&P's rulers of time and space and their 'third', Giratina, seem to mimic Groudon, Kyogre, and Rayquaza. (Two Pokemon that fought and fell asleep for a long time are awoken so that their powers can be used for some awful evil... Third one usually appears after to see one of the others... ... Y-A-W-N... ::) ) The lake trio and the dog trio, if it weren't for Azelf and Uxie staying still, would be the same catching scenario. And if the US only gets a code to get the ticket to get to Darkrai, well, that'll only make getting it as good as getting a Mew.

Yes, most are Psychic and/or Flying. Yes, even some Legendaries themselves might be more accessible. My point is that I think they should think of some different scenarios to catch them in. Work from the end back, and maybe a different kind of Legendary will emerge from that thinking.

I personally would NEVER hack for a unobtainable legendary. I don't strongly think they're running out of ideas, but They NEED to Stop making a bunch!!!

5 legendaries are in Kanto

Johto has 7

Hoenn has 10 and

Sinnoh has 14!! They really do have to cut down. Maybe they could make a legendary that could evolve using every evolution method... To much speculation

>_> Oops. Unmarked.

And yes, one of the things I dislike about legendaries is the huge number with low type variences, although Arceus's whole plate-type-change is kind of cool... If more of them could do cool stuff like that I might like them more.

Rotom's the weakest legendary apart from Phione, both of which I think are nice for a change. Despite the fact that there are a couple other electric and water legendaries, at least Rotom has a unique type.

Poison's not the greatest type, but I don't think it's the worst in the game. o_O The point is it was one of the few types I could think of that they haven't used on a legendary yet. Fighting either I think...
Another cool thing one can do is Deoxys can change looks, along with stats. I love that feature. It's awesome. [quote author:pokemaniacJack10 link=topic=2622.msg53364#msg53364 date=1206103394]
I personally would NEVER hack for a unobtainable legendary. I don't strongly think they're running out of ideas, but They NEED to Stop making a bunch!!!

5 legendaries are in Kanto

Johto has 7

Hoenn has 10 and

Sinnoh has 14!! They really do have to cut down. Maybe they could make a legendary that could evolve using every evolution method... To much speculation
[/quote] Ooo. That'd be nice. Different evolutions for each method, too! And yes, they really should cut down. Kanto had a small amount, Johto had a just right number, Hoenn had a bit too much, and Sinnoh had too many for it's own good. That's my opinion, anyway. EDIT: Although, it was kinda nice that in R/B/Y no one could have a team of just legendaries...

BUT- I have to admit who ever creates the new legendary pokemon have run a little dry.

Another reason why you could tell that they ran out of ideas for pokemon was because they usually always make like 150 new pokemon, and this time they only made like 107 :S.
You're kind of off on your counting friend... 1st Gen=151 Pok

I just think there are too many legendaries mixed with wannabe legendaries. Plus, even though I appreciate the indepth storyline the new legendaries created for the Diamond and Pearl series, I just find it a bit too much, especially since there mostly litte kids playing Pokemon. Next thing you know, Little Timmy thinks Arceus is the Lord Almighty, and Religious nuts will think pokemon is the root of all evil (again).

plus, whats the point in a legendary if their stat's suck and their moveset sucks even more?

And, they shouldnt be able too breed. That'll dumb down their legendariness. (sorry, no hanky-panky for you.)

Legendaries should provide a good (but not too complex and, well, creepy almighty-like) story for the game, have a slightly above average stats, a decent moveset, and not be able to breed. If not, then theyre not really legendaries. Just kinda rare pokemon that look really cool.

Not to nitpick, but you marked Arceus as a Psychic or flying. Technically he's normal, though you can make him any type depending on which plate you give him, which I think is a nice touch which adds variety. Also, is Rotom considered legendary? I've heard from several places that it's not, and I don't consider it one, but it does fit the bill.

Anyways, on topic, I DO think legendaries are hindering the series, but not by them being out of ideas. They can easily enough churn out 30 more legendaries if they wanted to just for Gen V. My problem is that they might actually HAVE 30 legendaries in Gen V. The number of legendaries has increased with each generation, and I don't much care for it. Did we need 2 psychic/ dragons in Gen III? No, but it was another reason for people to buy both versions. Do we need Phione, which is the baby form of a legendary that it can't evolve into? Not really. Now, if they varied the types a bit and limited the number of legendaries, then maybe I wouldn't hate them so.

I think they could use a Bug-type.

Also, they could hide a legendry in a place you wouldnt expect (zapdos for example) like a begining route, but after you beat the champion a path is cleared, where you meet it. and not mention the legendry at all, so you dont know it exists.

The next gen needs a bug or poison type legendary. And it seems that they keep making legendaries on a bigger scale each time. First they were mythical creatures. Then they were mythical saviors. Then they formed the region. And now they are responsible for existence. Where can they go to now? Just make some strangely rare pokemon, that is wanted out of rareness, not power.

Another possible choice is to have you have periodic fights with a single legendary that grows in strength. Similar to your rival but impossible to catch until a certain point.

I think the story-based legendaries are worth something. A lot more than the others.

I understand that most of the legendaries have backstories, like the Three Beasts and whatnot. But the legendaries that are central to the plot, like Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, Palkia, Dialga, and the three Pixies, have some worth to them because they provide something different to focus on besides "collect eight badges, beat Elite Four".

The project I'm working on has legendaries embodying the forces of industry and nature. The conflicting forces provide some substance. Granted, I think it's time for some variety, or at least a method of catching both forces in one game WITHOUT the use of an event or a hacking device, but they add some variety to the game.

Quite simply, there are certain recurring types because they are the best types to use. Not all Pokemon are created equal. Some Pokemon types, on average, just really suck. And I dunno about you, but I don't want a 30 foot tall cockroach crushing my Pokemon. Guuuuuh.

A Poison-type legendary would be neat if it was like Hedorah from the old Godzilla movies, representing pollution. And it would have to shoot lasers from its eyes, too. But to compensate for the fact that Poison types generally SUCK, it'd need Arceus-esque stats.

Legendaries are indeed in too great of a number. I'll refer to my project, which uses two conflicting force legendaries, a trio that's related to them, and then a hidden secret Pokemon that's kind of like "Thanks for playing for so long". That's six. That's about enough.

A really striking legendary was Mewtwo. He wasn't central to the plot, but he had presence. You could get to the unknown dungeon as soon as you got Surf, but some jackass blocked the route. You KNEW something was in there. Then you see the horrible destruction caused at Cinnabar Mansion, and the ominous messages left behind of his origin. They barely touch on him and yet they lead you into his psyche, his rage at being artificially engineered. He's an ever-ominous looming presence in those old games. I found that pretty cool.

I dunno. These arguments are kind of hard for me since I just love Pokemon as a whole. I think the numbers of Legendaries need to be reduced, but they're some of the most intricately designed creatures in the whole series. They pick the best Types for the best Pokemon. They're a necessary evil, to put it in your terms.

My honest opinion is that they are starting to go a little crazy with the legendaries. I mean i remember with RBY there was only 5 legendaries, and somehow we get to DP and there are a total of 14. Wow that's a big gap in between there. As for originality well its starting to run dry itself. It used to be one of the new (and harder to obtain) legendaries would be psychic, (Mew, Mewtwo, Celebi, Jirachi, Deoxys) then DP went a little overboard with Uxie, Azelf, and Mespirit. If you look at their poses then look at the poses of Mew, Celebi, and Jirachi i'm sure you'll notice the resemblence of theyre in-game appearances. That's not all that big deal i suppose but its just not as original as it could be.

I personally think they need to cut back, and when they decide to come out with another legendary it needs to be different than the already existing ones. Maybe release a new type even.

im really not to sur bu then again i think they could use better ideas

Mod edit: User has been banned for idiocy. Future posters in this thread be warned - some actual grammar and content is necessary for your posts. Telling us you're "not too sure" when the original thread is several months old tells us nothing new or useful.

Further contributions are still allowed but make them interesting please.

They are running dry, we had more psychic and Flying then the others. It seems like the Lake trios were last chance idea's so they threw them in along with Regigigas(spelling?), it just seems that they aren't trying anymore so there just recycling some old pokemon and giving them new images and names.

we could use some more like a Fighting/Dark or Electric/Ground. You know to give them somethign to do?

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
The number of legendaries is rediculous (sp?) these days. Back in the times of Red and Blue the only hints to the birds were the words of a single Bird Keeper who says "I wouldn't have lost if I had the Legendary Birds." or something like that. In fact, I actually fainted Zapdos and Moltres my first play through not knowing their importance and rarity, then sqandered my Master Ball on Articuno because I wanted it no matter what. Then Mew and Mewtwo were mentioned in the journal entries at the Cinnabar Mansion ruins. That's it, life was simple, they were unknown creatures and hard to catch. Nothing more, nothing less.

Then came Gold and Silver with the beasts, Lugia, Ho-oh, and Celebi. You're only given a brief introduction to the Legendary Beasts as a story mode requirement and an item for Lugia/Ho-oh. The rest is up to the player. I chose Silver simply because I fell in love with Lugia in the second movie. Crystal Version was actually the first game to make a legendary part of the story and provide a backstory to the in game legendaries.

Ruby and Sapphire is where things get absurd. As much as I love Kyorge, the God of the sea and the God of land are not creatures you should be stuffing into Pokeballs, nor should Rayquaza, being master of the previously mentioned as well as the God of the sky. At least that's how I think of Ray. The Regis gave this generation a trio, but the rest were unnecessary IMO.

Then comes Diamond and Pearl, the worst offender of legendary abuse yet. Unlike previous generations, the trio all share the same type and look almost identical. What's wrong Nintendo? Run out of ideas that fast? And if the masters of nature are too powerful to be captured and controled by an ordinary human, then the creators of reality should be far beyond reach for humans. Once again, Heatran, Regigigas, etc. were unnecessary additions to increase the number of new Pokemon. Esspecially now that so many are event only. Anyone unfortunate enough to not be able to attend an event or find one on wi-fi will have to hack.

If/when Gen V is born I hope for fewer legendaries within natural limitations like Gen I and II. Maybe focus on some real legends like Bigfoot or Lochness Monster next time.

we could use some more like a Fighting/Dark or Electric/Ground. You know to give them somethign to do?
I wish, that would be one insane legendary

Including the possibility of Electric/Ground (which probably won't happen), there are still some more legendary types avalible, so the legendaries arn't running slowing down just yet. Next generation, we might be seeing a poison type, hopefully even a bug type, and I don't remember any fighting legendaries. But Psycho monkey is right in a way, we need more variaty and a reason for existance. The only one that isn't part of the main storyline yet it still fits for D/P is Giratina, being the next superstar for when platnium comes out later this fall. All the rest (apart from event pokemon) are kinda odd yet useful at the same time. So there's my opinion.