• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Global Link for Black/White & B2/W2 closing

Global Link was one of my favorite features in the Unova games, mostly due to the Dream World, so the news from the start of the month that the Unova Global Link will go through a phased shut-down actually upsets me. I'm surprised and bothered by this development. Unova pokemon game players will no longer be able to use the Dream World feature as early as this October!

Basically, in short, they're shutting down the features people really enjoyed (Game Sync, customizations, Dream World) starting with the Dream World in October 2013.

When the site goes back up (after January 2014), it would only be useful/accessible to users of the Pokemon X & Y games.

Demelza

Eevee Tamer
Staff member
TornadicTrainer96 said:
When the site goes back up (after January 2014), it would only be useful/accessible to users of the Pokemon X & Y games.

Actually, the Global Link site will go back up on X and Y's release, so it won't be 2014 by any means.

I do agree that it's quite sad that they've decided to scrap the support for the fifth generation games so soon, especially considering Black 2 and White 2 will have been out only a year to the date (in Europe anyway) on X and Y's release.

Kinda puts me off doing anything else with it at this point, I don't see the point in collecting the C-Gear skins and suchlike when I won't be able to change them later. I guess this also kinda explains why we haven't been seeing as much support for the C-Gear skins and stuff as of late when they've intended to finish it off.

The annoying part is that they are going to still have Dream World for X and Y, but for some reason they can't keep supporting BW/B2W2, it's not like they are taking down the servers and doing away with the whole thing.

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
DanM87 said:
The annoying part is that they are going to still have Dream World for X and Y, but for some reason they can't keep supporting BW/B2W2, it's not like they are taking down the servers and doing away with the whole thing.
I'm not sure where you read about the Dream World returning, but I certainly haven't heard that.

Anyway: The reason for the Gen V Global Link closing is very simple: If they carried on hosting the Global Link on their current servers, where would they put the XY Global Link? It's not like the two can co-exist - the resources they need to keep them running are very expensive. Running one popular service for three million members is bad enough - remember at the beginning of this generation when the sheer number of players melted the Global Link - but running two is clearly something Nintendo isn't interested in putting the money or effort towards.

Teapot said:
I'm not sure where you read about the Dream World returning, but I certainly haven't heard that.

Anyway: The reason for the Gen V Global Link closing is very simple: If they carried on hosting the Global Link on their current servers, where would they put the XY Global Link? It's not like the two can co-exist - the resources they need to keep them running are very expensive. Running one popular service for three million members is bad enough - remember at the beginning of this generation when the sheer number of players melted the Global Link - but running two is clearly something Nintendo isn't interested in putting the money or effort towards.

Oh, I think I may have misread the part about Dream World being available for X and Y.

I wouldn't really care, except for the fact that there are several medals that require you to do things like capture 100 POKEMON IN THE ENTREE FOREST! Guess I should start working on that now... @.@

Yeah, I had a good time playing Black 2, but I think I'm pretty much done with it. I can't say I'm surprised that they decided to shut the support for Gen V down so soon, although I am sad that I never had wifi for the grand majority of the time so I never could take full advantage of a lot of the features.

I agree with Alex though: Thank GOODNESS for no more Dream World.