• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Games you wish were more well known.

Post the games you wish were more popular, and give a reason. This is a great way to promote you're favorite, lonley game. And please don't say things like 'I wish more people played Pokemon'. TONS of people play pokemon. Try to stick to the stuff that isn't well known/not popular.

So, let me start it off.

I wish people would play Phoenix Wright more. And Trauma Center. And Elite Beat Agents. Why? They're all fantasticly made games. They're all addicting, with likeable characters, great writing and stories, and they're all out of the box, off the beaten path. Phoenix Wright is a 'lawyer' game. Dispite how it sounds, it has an amazing storyline, a colourful cast of characters, and great graphics.

Trauma Center is a great game for anyone who loves Medical Dramas. Do you like House? ER? Discovery Health? These games are for you (right now there are two versions. the older version is for DS, and the remake is for Wii). Action packed surgury action is on its way to YOU.

And last, but definatly not least, Elite Beat Agents. Now WHO cares about a rythem game? Huh? Well, this one is different. The songs they chose are just right, the gameplay is addicting, and I have never seen anyone else dance like the Elite Beat Agents. And the storylines are waky too.

So... any additions?

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Whoooooooooooboy. Half my life spans around obscure games. >>

Okay, let's see. First of all, The Longest Journey. Seriously, Point-and-click adventures are very underrated, and TLJ is beautifully done and has one of the more awesome plots and settings ever seen in a game.

Septerra Core is another awesome piece of work, a PC RPG that feels like a console RPG and is also quite a piece of work.

Also, the Shin Megami Tensei series. Quite definitely. Mainly Nocturne and the Digital Devil Saga side-series.

Other little-known games that need more love: Earthbound (Definitely!), Star Control 2 (SURPRISE AND TERROR!), Terranigma (Not its fault it only got a European release!), E.V.O.: Search for Eden (at this point anyone but Katie would probably go 'Wha?'), the Keitai Denjuu Telefang series (Which is notorious for being the base for the horrendously translated hacks known as PokéMon Diamond and Jade), LiveALive (an old-ish Square semi-tactical RPG for the SNES which is one of the most rocksome games in existence), Monstania (Yet another one)...

Too many to list really.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

MagnusXL

Alundra for the PSX, Published by Working Designs. Why? Because it is such an AMAZING game. Who could hate an Adventure RPG riddled with puzzles and intuitive boss fights? There isn't much I can say without being biased; it's my favorite game.

SaGa Frontier, Published by Square Soft. Yeah, the original for the PSX. Many people didn't like it because they got lost, but this game is incredible once you spend the time to figure out what each region is. You can't go wrong with 40 possible party members.

Magic The Gathering: Battlegrounds. Because I just find it fun to massively destroy everthing with my ridiculously overpowered spells and cheap "First Strike, Threaten, and Oracle Buff" strategies. XD

I was going to mention E.V.O, but StellarWind beat me to it. XD

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Heh. Stel beat me to E.V.O. as well xp

The Wild Arms series has always been overshadowed by Final Fantasy, but it's just as worthwhile a play. The music in the series is absolutely beautiful, too. Like any expansive RPG series, not every Wild Arms game is as good as the others, but at least they all have their own charm.

Kirby Super Star is also underrated for its awesomeness and yet is STILL easily the best Kirby game ever made. Squeak Squad added depth that Super Star didn't have, but it only made me want to see a proper Kirby Super Star 2 more.

Lunar Silver Star Story Complete and Eternal Blue Complete (or their originals, which are said to be better in certain ways) are both great RPGs with lots of play value, but weak inclusions into the series like Lunar Dragon Song has tainted their beauty.

I'm sure I'll think of some others later on.

Hmm, I picked up two good PS2 games recently that I've found to be wholly enthralling but which I cant remember much hype for.

The first is "We Love Katamari". It's that game where you roll stuff up into a ball. As simple as that really, yet you've no idea how hard it is to explain the concept to those who have never played it, it either takes me 15 minutes or I give up after the second "wtf?" look I get.

Secondly I think "Shadow of the Colossus" should be far more recognised too. It's basically one big, beautiful landscape that you ride around on your horse whilst hunting down the 16 bad guys, thats it. Of course each of these baddies is a stone giant about the size of a small skyscraper, so you literally have to climb up them just to be able to fight them. I think it got a bad rap for not having anything to do apart from kill the 16 colossi but heck, if thats the price I gotta pay for basically playing a movie it's fair enough.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Shadow of the Colossus is frelling gorgeous. Confusing as frell though, and some of the bosses were simply a pain in the ass.

... And the ending is even more confusing - even though it ties the game to the game it's a prequel of - Ico. >>

The first is "We Love Katamari". It's that game where you roll stuff up into a ball. As simple as that really, yet you've no idea how hard it is to explain the concept to those who have never played it, it either takes me 15 minutes or I give up after the second "wtf?" look I get.

I've heard so much about that game. I really want to get it, but unfortunatly, I don't have a PS2, and with the prices SONY puts on their consles, I'm really not up for it at the moment. but my dad said he might by me one. So I'll put it on my list. It just sounds so interesting. I long it as much as I long for Earthbound to be downloadable on my Wii...

And WOW. So many games to choose from. I hope this thread continues, and I love all your posts!

The Advance Wars series! They're excellent strategy games but I never hear anyone talk about them... :( They're quite addicting, really.

AW1 and AW2 are nearly impossible to find anywhere these days though... AW:DS I have seen in several places.

But anyway, AW1 while it didn't have the BEST script ever, actually had a couple good twists and the plots did get at least a little more developed later... Well, okay, in AW:DS you beat up the same 4 Black Hole COs like, every mission, but hey, you actually get to USE a couple defected BH COs! Which is cool...

The only two complaints about the series I have are 1) AW:DS isn't Wi-Fi compatible, and 2) AW:DS's Tag Breaks were ridiculous. Apart from that, great games.

Yes, that game is very entertaining game that I believe anyone could play. It have that typical Japanese humor, and I can't really stop rolling.

Anyhow, games that I believe deserves some spotlight.

Monkey Island, yes, I have a topic of it, but I still wants to bring it up. For once, I really like this none-Japanese game with pirates, thinking, dueling and sarcastic humor.

Second game, Dark Chronicle, even known as Dark Cloud 2. I've heard that Dark Cloud didn't really make it, so that Dark Chronicle would make it up for it. And I think it really made it. An RPG, but it still looks like platform. Calm music and great graphic, it is a game that RPG-nerds probably shouldn't miss.

the game Legend of the Dragoon for PSX. it was a long but thrilling game similar to final fantasy.
i was the only person that i new had the game, i would recommend it to ne1 who could get they hands on a copy

Shadow of the Colossus is frelling gorgeous. Confusing as frell though, and some of the bosses were simply a pain in the ass.

... And the ending is even more confusing - even though it ties the game to the game it's a prequel of - Ico. >>

Ah yes, I do enjoy its challenge though. Spending an hour riding backwards on a horse just to get that perfect shot? Totally worth it when the beastie comes tumblin' down. I can only hope that the designers get set loose on a next gen console.

I also wish more and more that the Dynasty Warriors series was more widely known. Whenever I try to explain it to anyone and I get to the bit about it being based on semi-mythical Chinese history I can immediately see their eyes twitch towards any unblocked exits... Such a shame...

Battle Hunter for the PSX! :D I've only played once, but I got addicted. It's a go-find-the-treasure-in-the-dungeon game, with monsters and PvP, level ups, and cards. The cards are kinda confusing, but only for like the first two levels. Man, I need to go to Pawn Shops and look for it...

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
I don't really know if I have any "unknown" games I've fallen in love with to chuck in with this... :/

Generally, my gaming purchases are of games that are well publicised, hyped and with plenty of material to go on before deciding to buy them. Any that aren't fuelled by that are generally spur of the moment purchases while I have no better games to pick up - and almost all of those have been rubbish...

Secondly I think "Shadow of the Colossus" should be far more recognised too. It's basically one big, beautiful landscape that you ride around on your horse whilst hunting down the 16 bad guys, thats it. Of course each of these baddies is a stone giant about the size of a small skyscraper, so you literally have to climb up them just to be able to fight them. I think it got a bad rap for not having anything to do apart from kill the 16 colossi but heck, if thats the price I gotta pay for basically playing a movie it's fair enough.

I don't know where you get the notion that Shadow of the Colossus is an 'obscure' game from... I'm not interested in getting it in the least, but it's impossible to avoid any information on it - and it's been the highest acclaimed PS2 title since the PS2 went into the final stages of its life. I don't know anyone that doesn't know of it really...

Dusts off old NES games:

First up is Dynowarz, with levels as puny human then levels as dragon mech , even though some levels were poorly designed.

Second up: Kid Kool, best platforming game ever,For me it even surpassed Mario, and even had it's own infinite lives trick.

Third up: Dragon Spirit: A New Legend: The definitive version of Dragon Spirit, sadly Virtual Console only got the crappy version, the NES version looked much better than the TGrphx, and arcade versions. Plus with an added story and cheesey drawings is a must play.

Fourth up: Nightmare on Elm Street, this game is just amazing.

Fifth up: Friday the 13th, this is the precursor to first person shooters when you get to battle Jason in first person while he kicks the hell out of you. Also special appearance by Jason's mom.

Sixth up: River City Ransom: Greatest beat-em up ever. Definitly deserves a sequel, to bad the GBA remix of it was and still is hard to find.

Seventh up: McKids what can I say McDonaldland

Eighth up: Chronicles of the Radian war: Can we say action RPG by Tecmo that blew Secret of Mana off the map and came way before Secret of Mana. To bad it was Japan only I say find the trans patch and eh get the R word.

Ninth up: Puss N Boots: Yup gotta love this game for the comic relief

Tenth up: Daydreamin Davey, simply Zelda on steroids, with 3 maybe 4 time periods to visit, Greek, Medieval and The old West. Very fun.

You now have 10 NES games you must at least try or I will come and hunt you down. (Not really but eh eh the feds made me say it).

Next post I make will contain overlooked games on the SNES

Breath of fire 4 is one of my favorites, but the breath of fire series isn't really known.
Rhapsody: a musical adventure is a musical, awesome game. I love it. Even if there is a girl as the main character who also can talk to puppets.
I like musicals.

I don't know where you get the notion that Shadow of the Colossus is an 'obscure' game from... I'm not interested in getting it in the least, but it's impossible to avoid any information on it - and it's been the highest acclaimed PS2 title since the PS2 went into the final stages of its life. I don't know anyone that doesn't know of it really...

Hmmm, really? Maybe I should have a dig around then and see what I can see. Though I think this may have more to do with the publications I read and the gamers I hang with. It's actually quite pleasing to know it got some acclaim then, it is well deserving of it.

I suppose if I were to mention a game, it would be Star Tropics. Its about this kid who is trying to find his dad, who is some marine biologist or something. You get in this submarine and go to different islands to explore dungeons and fight monsters with a yo-yo. That's right, a yo-yo. (I'll have you know that yo-yos are used as hunting weapons in some cultures, thank you very much) You collect other weapons, too, and it's all from a top-down perspective, so I guess it's kinda like Legend of Zelda.

I never really got into it myself, but my Dad's beaten it so it's got to be good. He almost never plays video games.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
That's nice, but that's not what this thread is about.

This thread is about obscure games that you wish were more well known, NOT your favorite DS titles. Phoenix Wright, Elite Beat Agents and Trauma Center can be classified as a lot of things, but definitely not as obscure.

Warning The First, foo'.

Point-and-click adventures.
Blah blah blah Earthbound, E.V.O.: Search for Eden, LiveALive.

I like your style. XD I spent so much of my life on E.V.O. Especially when I found out that you could be a T-rex.

My obscure favourites? Well, more people need to know what Okami is, first and foremost. I don't know why it's not more popular--it's got gorgeous graphics and fluid animation, beautiful music, it's pretty original in the whole "pfft, human main characters are for saps. You're a hermaphroditic-or-just-genderless-I guess-wolf-god-thing." aspect, and wapanese kids can bask in the fact that LOL ITS FEUDAL NIPPON.

Soulblazer's another game I loved as a kid. Hard as all get-out when you're only eight or something, but still fun. Basically, you're some sort of divine avatar, sent down to save people/goats/doors/tulips that have had their souls devoured by monsters.

Also: Deja Vu and Shadowgate. Go play them. Do it. :

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Heh, Soulblazer. First part in the unofficial trilogy that spawned the best Action-RPG the world has ever spawned: Terranigma! ^^

Didn't realize Okami was considered obscure. >>

I never actually got around to Terranigma, myself. Only learned it existed a few years ago, and I was far too wrapped up in the wonderful world of Megaman games to bother.

Never realized it wasn't. XD Pretty much everyone I've talked video games with has never heard of it. "The one where you're a wolf? lol, you mean Twilight Princess!"

((Edited because I don't understand the basic principles of punctuation. >_>;; ))

Lets see...

Space Quest,hillarious game series

Ganbare Goemon/Mystical Ninjas:Funny with excellent gameplay and very quickpaced

Only games i can think of that arn't well known that i play,space quest being pretty much non-existant since it died in 1995

Ganbare Goemon its just sad that the game is so rare in US :(

Shivers for the PC.

Your 'friends' lock you in a museum overnight. A museum filled with ancient creatures with the powers of the elements.

Oh, and puzzles blocking every doorway and such because the guy who built the place was insane.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Gotta love good old Sierra games. ^_^

Another game that just sprang to mind is the Deadlock: Planetary Conquest series. The games themselves were kinda meh single-player, but probably much more fun as multiplayer.

And the races and backstories were so damn awesome.

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
I love Okami. It took an age to be released in Europe, and by the time it limped out here, Clover Studio had been disbanded - due to poor sales :-\. Well, if you don't release the bloody game, how do you expect anyone to buy it >:(?

Most of my obscure games are rhythm action/music games, and most of them are "obscure" simply because I live in the wrong continent. Pop'n Music, for example, is up to at least version 14 in Japan, but has never been released outside - a shame, because it's one of the easiest & most fun rhythm action games. The external peripheral makes it easy for two or three people to collaborate on playing harder songs, while better players can solo the 9 button mode.

I wish more people had heard of/bought Frequency & Amplitude, but at least Harmonix hit the big time with Guitar Hero. I actually found out about my favourite band in the world, Freezepop, thanks to Frequency ;D.

I love Vib Ribbon, which was released in Japan and Europe but never came out in North America. I have Mojib Ribbon too, but it's fairly meaningless without being able to read katakana/hiragana.

I think my favourite obscure game has to be Rez. I bought up a load of Dreamcast discs and sold them on eBay some years ago - made about £100 that way. We've only ever owned the PS2 version, though. Richard is an audio geek, and we have our PS2s (both of them) wired into the stereo system, so all our music games benefit from 5 speakers. Rez, with the lights down low and the volume up loud... trippy. I don't recommend hallucinogens, but Rez is a safe alternative ;).