• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

DPPt/HGSS Competition Ideas?

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I discussed making this topic weeks ago with Oak, so here it is :p

Anyone have any good ideas for tournaments via the WFC for D/P/Battle Revolution?

I have a few off the top of my head. One would be to base a tournament around basic stage Pokemon only, but they'd have to be able to evolve (so no Pinsir's or Tauros :p). It could either be with newly hatched Pokemon or Pokemon at a higher level... maybe level 30 or so (that'd probably make it less broken, too).

Another is Pokemon of the same type, ie. everyone would train up a team of Ground-types, or Fire, or Water, etc. Dual-types would be allowed. This could even turn into a monthly/bimonthly thing if people enjoyed it enough.

Not all of these tournaments need to be six on six either. 3 on 3 could work just as fine, and would require less energy on our parts.

My last comment is less about the actual tournaments and more about a league... Do we want a Charms League, or at least some sort of all-encompassing scoring system? I'm sure the answer for most of you will be yes, but I'll ask anyways.

And that's all from me for now. Any ideas?

It all sounds good...but I have a question(s)....!

Basic....including baby? Or even an all baby tourny!!!

and

Maybe a contest tournement ( can you do that over WIFI?!)... not as often as regular battles, seeing as they are less popular....but a non battling tourny would excting.

I'd say yes to including babies, but a baby-only tourney could work, too =)

I want a baby tournament x3 I loooooveeeee baby pokemon!

I like the same type one too. That would be most interesting

My last comment is less about the actual tournaments and more about a league... Do we want a Charms League, or at least some sort of all-encompassing scoring system? I'm sure the answer for most of you will be yes, but I'll ask anyways.

hells yah ^_^

hmmm idea's huhhhh? how about a tournament with only pokemon with the same egg type like human like, water 1, etc.....(lol is that what they're called? egg type?)

Egg Group. And Charms League FTW.

Of course, you could have rules allowing for any kind of attribute of a Pokémon. How about only Pokémon that can be caught in certain games or regions? or of a certain colour? or more than 3m in height/length?

Last edited by a moderator:
Whatever is fine with me, but I like the type ideas. We could always jump on the Serebii bandwagon and create a Charms Gym League of stuff...like have people pick a type or theme, create a team, and make a "badge" or something (or maybe give some sort of prize, like a Pokemon or item).

I dunno...it might be fun. I'm mostly just worried I'll get mega-ownzd by those who actually train well. I kinda ignore EVs and IVs...^_^;;;

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
It could be theoretically possible to do a Battle Factory like deal, where we can trade you 3 pre-trained Pokemon to use in a battle (and they're picked by each person in a sort of round robin deal, 1 player picks one then the other player picks one, then back to the first player and so on) and then you have to duke it out.

The only problem in this is that it requires the inclusion of pretty much just myself and Katie in the Union Room along with the two other battlers - and it can be a bit of a hard job to get a hold of one or the other of us at times.

Nevertheless, it is a theoretically possible battle style.

A Charms League sounds cool to me, but we don't really have enough active people here to make it like Bulbagarden's or Serebii's, so I'd be happier with a Football like system for it. You battle and you get points depending on whether you Win or Lose (I dunno if draw should be included as most draws in Pokemon are ruled against because of the moves that cause them). So you'd get 2 points for a win and 1 for a loss and you can have a maximum amount of battles to count towards your scoring (so you can have official battles and friendly battles, which wont count towards your scores - but this would have to be agreed before the battle) and then after a period of time, probably 2 months or so, the Season would be over and whoever is at the top is declared the Champion.

The Champion would then get a thing in their forums profile showing this - along with the Season number they won - and later on, there'll be plenty of bonuses available in things coming to Pokecharms for champions too.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
It could be theoretically possible to do a Battle Factory like deal, where we can trade you 3 pre-trained Pokemon to use in a battle (and they're picked by each person in a sort of round robin deal, 1 player picks one then the other player picks one, then back to the first player and so on) and then you have to duke it out.

The only problem in this is that it requires the inclusion of pretty much just myself and Katie in the Union Room along with the two other battlers - and it can be a bit of a hard job to get a hold of one or the other of us at times.

Nevertheless, it is a theoretically possible battle style.

This I like, and could definitely help out in the way of pre-trained Pokemon... just as long as the people we traded 'em to didn't keep them xp

Might be a bit more work, but it'd be a nice alternative to standard battling.

Wahey. Im liking this idea, my only problem will be my incredibly limited ability to play the games over the summer, what with starting my gap year in america and whatnot.
Still, I have all of study leave to train ^_^

Okay, this is basically the baby/basic idea only for the middle child. The pokemon who evovled from something and can still evolve....e.g Kirila, Ivysaur, Gloom, Skiploom etc

Cause they're underused.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Eevee-lution. Hahaha theres enough of them.

That there is >>

It'd actually work well for one of my less creative ideas: a tournament where everyone basically uses the same Pokemon. Pokemon-wise, it'd be boring, but it'd also allow us to see who the better raisers are EV-wise and who has the better movesets. Plus, it could be 3 on 3, or even 2 on 2, which would leave a bit of room for variation between teams.

But still... pretty boring XD

pokecharms league? good idea, and pretty inevitable.

newborn tourney

type tourney (fire only, or something like that)

color tourney (only red pokemon or something like that)

level-cap tourney

that's as far as my ideas go, i'll add more later.

If we did a baby tournament, would that include Togepi and Riolu? As a baby Pokemon is a Prevolution of an existing Pokemon. Which leaves the question, would you accept Togepi and Riolu?

Now you may just dismiss this as an awful idea but how about Gym Leaders?

Starting Out with an elemental contest E.g Water VS Water. To discover the initial Gym Leaders.

Then certain forum members may chalange them to gain there badge. which could be something as simple as a sprite in there sig or as complex as an updated trainer Card.

Every month or two a new contest is held to find a new Gym leader.

As an additional idea each Gym could have a level limit on the pokemon like all the pokemon who challange the earth Gym must be under level 50 where as the Water Gym all levels must be under 60 and so on and so forth.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
I'd say that if you were up for that, use Serebii or Bulbagarden (I'm actually working at Bulbagarden to help set something like that up).

I don't really see it being workable here. Small tournaments we can do, but leagues and gym leaders and stuff is pretty much only going to work on the larger forums. Which is fine enough by me, but then again - as I said, I'm an active part of setting that up on BMGf anyways.

I like the idea of the league. Weekly matches? Opponents could arrange time. It doesn't have to be something huge, just sopmething to keep people here. This is the only pokemon forum I regular (heh, if you cuold call it that ^^). But like, I -Did- like the gym leader idea too.

Like, maybe the pokecharms staff could each have their own personal 'badge' to give out. Just something for fun, but like, you wouldn't be restricted to a type-theme ,but I honestly would reccomend a lvl cap for both parties. I'm sure if you guys talk sweet to Stell, he could design a badge or two for the forums.

Anyways, when tis all decided, count me in. DP has me active again, and I'm loving this game. Also, I'll be getting this new job soon (the same one I applied last year around this time), and its starting me off at double my current pay.. AND I get more days off (I work 10-12 hours a day right now, 6 days a week. That combined with studying for my ACTs took me out for a while)

Anyways, whatever you decide is cool. You guys are ome of the nicest and awesome peeps around, and it'll be a blast just being able to connect with you guys.

I really like the idea of the baby/first-stage pokemon, but I have a question. Would that mean that there'd be a level cap too? I think there should be, as one can always just cancel a pokemon's evolution and level it up as high as they want, right? Maybe a level cap like 20 or so would be best, as that way it'd be very easy and quick to put a team together. Just a thought.

all things considered, since there IS a level boost, there's no way to figure out if these pokemon have been ev trained to insanity or not. also, i'd like to see a breeders tournament. no trained pokemon allowed, and no learned-only moves allowed. just bred moves, and tms.

basically, it's ordinary pokemon that, previous to d/p, you could only get by breeding and that can not lay eggs until they evolve, legendaries discluded.

How about....by color? Sure if you said red it'd be a fire fiesta but the person using Octillery or a shiny Gyrados would be in hog heaven until someone shot out their Plusle. It'd be challanging to build a balanced team just on color.

you guys are forgetting another option...what about a one or two pokemon team? Battles are short and only the players big and baddest pokemon would get involed.

Another option. In a league idea why not have a tier system? C,B,A,S classes, that way the worst can move themselves up and the best can battle the best, then the results would be posted every week???

I like the idea of a baby tournament, but I don't think I'd want to see Phione included. The fact that a legendary can breed is just wrong to begin with :p

You seem to hate the idea of Phione wherever i turn :p

....anyway,i'd love the idea of a baby tournament...but then what WOULD be allowed?There doesn't seem to be enough babies that there would be much variety,unless you included none-preevoltion kids (such as cubone and the starters)

there's a baby of essentially every type, almost. make due with it. the point of this tournament isn't as much strategy as it is just for fun, the way i see it.

How bout this. People go at each other with their prized pokemon and see who wins. Sure there will be level differences, but hey, after you get the national dex, your free to send over your favorate pokemon. So there. But we also need a way to keep track. I see someone creating a program that creates ramndom sceduals and you have to abide by those sceduals. Then those sceduals can be emailed to the respective trainers. Then a Excel program keeping stats. Such as total KO's and =which pokemon won. Also, you can only use six pokemon for the entire league. That way, you know what your battleing. You can have up to two to three subs. Just to keep it fair.

How bout this. People go at each other with their prized pokemon and see who wins. Sure there will be level differences, but hey, after you get the national dex, your free to send over your favorate pokemon. So there. But we also need a way to keep track. I see someone creating a program that creates ramndom sceduals and you have to abide by those sceduals. Then those sceduals can be emailed to the respective trainers. Then a Excel program keeping stats. Such as total KO's and =which pokemon won. Also, you can only use six pokemon for the entire league. That way, you know what your battleing. You can have up to two to three subs. Just to keep it fair.

...wouldnt be a normal tournament?I guess favorite would mean some low levels,but in one case

My little bros favorites are legendaries only
My older bros favorites are based on how good they are competetivly
My favorites are based on cool/cute factor.

Some peoples different views are better in competetive battle than others ^^;;

As for the kiddy thing,yeah i know it would be for fun,but i just think it would be more fun if everyone didnt have the same pokemon ^^;;

Hikaru_Ultma_alternate.png
we should have a big tournament that's freestyle and u get a really rare pokemon at end like a shiny or legendary or sum pokemon the winner never had before like a g/s/c starter or sumin like that, also we should organize it in a new post called the tournament or sumin like that, that would be a cool idea