• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

An error with the new layout

I really love the new look. (I can't quit playing with the opening Pokeballs on the left)
All in all I really like it. In fact I like it so much that I wanted to tell you that. The problem is you somehow disabled normal members ability to reply to topics in the Site News area.

Just thought I should let you know that.

I love the new look as well. I only have two questions:

1. When I'm looking at topics, all of the words seem to be on the right side of the screen. Could this just be a small bug?

2. What happened to the Chat button? Is it just down for maintenance or something?

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
The issue with the site news forum should be fixed.

Shocari:

I have no idea why IE is suddenly doing that (it didn't do it on the demo install), so until I can figure out why it's being gaytarded AGAIN, just upgrade to Firefox >>.

Chat will have to wait to be added back on, I'm afraid - but as usual, we can be found on irc.pocketmonsters.net at #pokecharms until it is.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I noticed an issue with the Staff Showcase tab. I tested it a few times and it seems every time I click it I'm auto-logged out of the forums. Trying to log back in via the top-right login tab doesn't work either. However, clicking the forums tab again tells me I'm still logged in. I'm sure there's probably a logical explanation for this, but figured I'd point it out.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
It's because of the way the forums are integrated into the site - the file that hooks them together on that specific page wasn't included properly 'cos of an omission on my part. Fixed now.

Should also mention that while the forums themselves are smart enough to redirect if you try accessing them without the 'www' prefix, the rest of the site wont. You can access the site normally without the 'www' prefix, but because the session/cookie on the forums is tied to the specific url with the 'www' included, you will appear to be logged out. Simply adding the 'www' will correct that though - and all the links on the site should have the prefix on them anyway, so it really shouldn't be a common issue at all. Just thought I'd point it out.

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
Though as usual it'll take some getting used to, I'm loving the new look. Very nice indeed, especially with the navigation menu at the side of the screen. I'm looking forward to the 'Dex being up as well, even if it'll take a bit longer than planned.

Only issue I've seen so far is that KoL/Jet/Ruko's dive balls have done a disappearing act and been replaced by
?s. Other than that, all seems well as far as my computer's concerned.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
I've been trying to fix those images, but for some reason the file on the server has become corrupted and wont let me fix it...

I think it got half eaten when being FTP'd over into the new directory... Might just rename the file and upload it again...

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
I can't really check into something that not only can you not explain to me properly, but you say ISN'T happening now, can I?

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Alrighty, I notice one large problem to start with... this:

Namely, the message text in the forums is all shunted to one side, just as Shocari said.

My browser is Google Chrome (so, Webkit), and I've heard another member report the same problem with Firefox as well (just tried it - works fine for me). Ironically, it works fine in IE8 now, both in and out of Compatibility View.

Griping aside, though, I love this new theme. It's so much snappier and faster, and is much more pleasing to the eye - the font's the right size again! Additionally, the adverts are much less intrusive now, which is always a good thing. I hate it when websites are dominated by their ads >>

ETA: Fiddling with Chrome's Inspector, I've found that removing "overflow: auto;" from the .post class seems to fix the problem, at least for me. I have no idea whether that would leave other browsers working, though.

Quick patch is: http://www.pokecharms.com/forums/Themes/pokecharms09v2/style.css?rc1 - remove line 449

ETA2: SMF2. Drool. Congrats on getting it working!

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Well, it doesn't appear to be affecting Firefox at least - you'll have to let me know if it's fixed on the others.

Nevermind, it does something screwy to the posts. :/

K, tried a work around by throwing some padding in there instead - hopefully it'll work across the board, but it seems to catch the problem in FF3.

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
All works fine for me here, now. Thank you!

ETA: Spoke too soon. >> Noticed a new problem - on my posts only, the first line is shunted over to the right. Not a site-breaking problem, but I might as well let you know anyway.

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Chrome and Mobile Safari (both WebKit browsers) work great - as does IE8, except in Compatibility Mode, which suggests to me that Lucario454 is probably using either IE7 or, even worse, IE6.

To tell you the truth I'm not sure. All I know is that I'm using Internet Explorer and it seems to be run by some Google/ AT&T thing. :(

BTW I'm a girl.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
You can't complain about getting your gender wrong if you don't bother filling in the profile field for it.

Also, go and upgrade your IE now if it's bothering you.

Thankfully though, IE is finally forcing people to get with the times - so any issues with previous versions of IE aren't too much of a problem any more after next week.

Of course, you can actually be intelligent and get a proper browser...

Hey, DO. My friend is using IE5, and the text is way over to the right. Apparently that's been the main problem so far. Do you think it's fixable, or should I tell her to upgrade to Firefox?

Right, I don't know if this is affecting anyone else, but occasionally I notice that the top dividing line on posts (the little one underneath the date and time stamps) can get shunted all the way to the right, causing a horizontal scroll. I think this might be linked to attachments, e.g. here, though I could be wrong.

I'm using (I think) the latest version of Firefox. It is definetly FF, I'm not just entirely sure on which version, but it most likely the most recent. (Sadly I have no control of this laptop beyond the desktop wallpaper.)

Prof. Cinders

Mathemagician
Staff member
Administrator
Alex here on Rach's lappy:

I think I've got an idea of what's causing that (though it's not happening for me) - but I can't try any fixes for it at the moment.

It's a pretty minimal issue though, so if it can't be sorted, it doesn't really matter.