• This is the archived Cryptidex for Pokémon X, Y, Omega Ruby, and Alpha Sapphire. While we keep this version of the Cryptidex open for viewing, it is now closed to new comments.
  • Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Mega Charizard X

Demelza

Eevee Tamer
Staff member
006Charizard_Mega_X_Dream.png

Mega Charizard X
[type=fire][/type]/[type=dragon][/type]​

20477_info.png

Japanese Name: MegaRizardon X
Height: 1.7m / 5' 07''
Weight: 110.5kg / 243.6 lbs.
Classification: Flame Pokémon

20471_abilities.png

Ability: Tough Claws

20473_cryptidata.png

Revealed: Mega Charizard X was first revealed in the Pokémon Origins anime special and was officially revealed worldwide directly afterwards.
Additional Info: When Charizard holds a Charizardite X, it can Mega Evolve into Mega Charizard X! This item can be obtained only in Pokémon X. Unlike Mega Charizard Y, Mega Charizard X changes types when it Mega Evolves. It changes from a Fire- and Flying-type Pokémon to a Fire- and Dragon-type Pokémon.

20483_stats.png

Mega Charizard X's most notable stat boosts are to its Attack and Defense stats, but it also receives a boost in Sp. Attack as well.

HP: 78
Attack: 130
Defense: 111
Sp. Attack: 130
Sp. Defense: 85
Speed: 100

20479_locations.png

58290_Dream_Charizardite_X_Sprite.png

Mega Stone:
Charizardite X
X/Y:
Given by Professor Sycamore in Lumiose City (if Charmander chosen as Starter) or purchased from Vernal Avenue's Stone Emporium (if Charmander not chosen as Starter). Mega Stone is exclusive to Pokémon X.
OR/AS: Fiery Path (Following Primal Kyogre/Groudon narrative).

20476_evolution.png

Mega-Evolves from Charizard

20472_artwork.png

Mega_Charizard_X_Official_A.png

20482_screenshots.png

Mega_Charizard_X_Screenshot_1_bmp_jpgcopy.jpg
Mega_Charizard_X_Screenshot_2_bmp_jpgcopy.jpg
Mega_Charizard_X_Screenshot_3_bmp_jpgcopy.jpg
Mega_Charizard_X_Screenshot_4_bmp_jpgcopy.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
It's black, and blue, and part Dragon-type...
I'm in love. And so very, very shallow.

Design-wise, I do quite like this mega form. I'm not overly fond of its odd shoulder spikes but I quite like its wings and head. I've never been a big fan of that third spike on Mega Charizard Y's head. I do question whether an additional mega form for Charizard was actually necessary (and in all honesty it really, really wasn't) but overall I can't complain too much because I'm incredibly biased. :p

At the end of the day, I'll be very happy to take advantage of this new mega form when I get around to playing X. ^^

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
I do like the color scheme. But... Honestly, that's the only thing I like about it. The rest of it looks like some retarded n00b's deviantART OC Charizard. <<;

The wings are nothing short of stupid, the shoulder spikes make no sense, the flaming acid reflux is hardly attractive and... well.

It is apparently the only Kanto starter to get version exclusive Mega Evolutions. Why the tap-dancing fuck does Charizard deserve special treatment other than being an overhyped shit? The fact that it's suddenly Fire/Dragon also seems like a Pandering To The (M)asses move. Overall this feels like cheap fanservice.

(Not to mention Mega Charizard Y fixed a lot of things that were broken about the original Charizard's design. Mega Charizard X really... doesn't.)

But at least that settles the Kanto starter I'm going for when I play X. Sorry, Charmander, any debate I had in my head was officially ended when I saw this thing.

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
Be right back, dying from all the squee-ing ♥

This is the only thing so far making me regret my choice of Y a little, but it's not enough to make me change my mind. I'm just going to hope that it's the Mega Stones that are exclusive... and thus when I play through X I can trade the stone over and have both ;D

This guy really makes me think that, of the version exclusives, X will be getting the 'off-shoot' Megas (i.e. ones that gain a new type etc. - Mega Mewtwo X and Mega Charizard both switching from special to physical attackers and gaining/changing secondary types) while Y's Megas will be 'upgrades' that are more linear in their improvements.

Seeing Mega Charizard X makes me wonder what other starters with multiple forms will look like, and I'm really happy they did this~ This way, its like your pokemon can keep getting stronger and stronger while evolving but not evolving. I just really love it so much ♥ But now I'm torn between x and y ;A; they both look so awesome...

But it also makes me wonder what and if the other starters will receive the same treatment. More than likely they would and they only showed this one because he was the main Pokemon in the Origins series, but I could always be wrong.

Overall I do really like the design and it will definitely make me think twice about which Kanto starter I'll be choosing. I just think that it was a little too much. Now I kind of have a love/hate relationship with the new Charizard design. Also, I got the impression that they changed Charizards type to Fire/Dragon because of the Fairy type. Now Charizards weak to Fairy... great.

Be right back, dying from all the squee-ing ♥

This is the only thing so far making me regret my choice of Y a little, but it's not enough to make me change my mind. I'm just going to hope that it's the Mega Stones that are exclusive... and thus when I play through X I can trade the stone over and have both ;D

You read my mind! :D I'm sticking with Y, too, although more because of Yveltal then anything else. Otherwise, I would've chosen X, what with Clauncher and the better Mega Mewtwo(in my opinion) and now this.

I would think that the stones are tradable, because in a picture I saw that there is a quantity counter, represented by a "X1," so you can have more than one of a type of Mega Stone. So, I imagine that if you trade Charizardite X to Y Version, it will turn Charizard into Mega Charizard X regardless. :)

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Overall I do really like the design and it will definitely make me think twice about which Kanto starter I'll be choosing. I just think that it was a little too much. Now I kind of have a love/hate relationship with the new Charizard design. Also, I got the impression that they changed Charizards type to Fire/Dragon because of the Fairy type. Now Charizards weak to Fairy... great.

Fire resists Fairy, so MegaCharizard X is not weak to Fairy.

Also, Zard X reminds me of the Sha monsters from WoW: MoP; not sure if that's a good or a bad thing honestly. Have to say that the type combination + new ability and stats + Dragon Dance could make Zard-X the power up Charizard needed to be strong.

Fire resists Fairy, so MegaCharizard X is not weak to Fairy.

Also, Zard X reminds me of the Sha monsters from WoW: MoP; not sure if that's a good or a bad thing honestly. Have to say that the type combination + new ability and stats + Dragon Dance could make Zard-X the power up Charizard needed to be strong.
Yes I know that Fire resists Fairy, but Fairy also resists Dragon so the odds of Charizard X being a great opponent against a Fairy Pokémon is very unlikely.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Yes I know that Fire resists Fairy, but Fairy also resists Dragon so the odds of Charizard X being a great opponent against a Fairy Pokémon is very unlikely.

STAB Flare Blitz still hits for normal damage against Fairies, so it will do fine unless the Fairy in question resists Fire as well. End of discussion since I'm not having this spam up the thread.

Also worth noting that 'Zard does get Belly Drum too for ridiculous offensive power, although the Mega Stone will prevent Salac Berry being used alongside it which will probably ruin the combo's effectiveness overall, but still food for thought. This physical 'Zard has a lot going for it.

I like its design but the fire coming out of its mouth looks kinda stupid in-game. I'm going to be sad if at least Venusaur and Blastoise don't get Mega X evos as well, because Charizard is already the favorite child and that would just be unfair.

Dwayna DragonFire

2014 Little Cup Champion
I saw this PokeMon and literally fell in love with the design. I liked original Mega-Zard a lot, but this version just takes the cake. I was considering getting Y for Yveltal, but now I totally switched gears because of this update. He is beautiful. *fawns over*

Last edited:
FINALLY IT'S A DRAGON! F-I-N-A-L-L-Y!

I like its design but the fire coming out of its mouth looks kinda stupid in-game. I'm going to be sad if at least Venusaur and Blastoise don't get Mega X evos as well, because Charizard is already the favorite child and that would just be unfair.
Yeah, I hope they make Mega Blastoise X (not so much Venusaur).

Last edited by a moderator:
only this is enough for me to choose x or y! i will take x and use this as my team member. i am so in loove with this one especially because charizard is my favorite pokemon and dragon is my favorite type! i am so getting pokemon x!!!

I despise this.

Just like I despise Charizard in general. Not only is this just preaching to the countless Charizard fanboys, they completely ignored Venusaur and Blastoise, even though they have fans too.

If I ever see someone who has Pokemon X use this thing, I will beat their Charizard X's face in with a Froakie unless Venusaur and Blastoise get their own Mega X forms.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Calm your Paridae, child. People WILL use Charizard X regardless of your frustration with its existence (which many share, as you can see) - And it would be wise of you not to make threats that may be not possible to actually own up to.

And nope. Charizard is the only one that gets two Mega Formes. The thing obviously gets preferential treatment from Game Freak, and dumb as it is, it's a fact. Might as well accept it for what it is. Don't like it? Don't use it. That's all there is to say to it.

Wow! GameFreak finaly made a dragon-like Charizard INTO a dragon type!! But I think that they made a new Charizard evolution cuz the MegaMewtwo Y had a better design than the X one and they wanted to make a ballance in the two games. Also, so traiding has a part in it too!

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Calm your Paridae, child.

I think Blaziken got a Mega Evolution in advance because it's always been quite the representative of Generation 3. It was revealed relatively early on and not only was introduced as the Ultra-Cool-Ultra-Powerful™ Pokémon for the generation (see also Harrison haxing the Silver Conference with it), it also proceeded to be the Starter of Choice for May, the anime's Gen 3 representative and (doing the impossible) actually evolved.

Plus, Speed Boost Blazikens made waves all over the metagame to the point that some metagame communities banned them. The idea of Mega Evolution is taking certain Pokémon beyond their ultimate level. What better candidate for an event Mega than a speed boosting death chicken?

It's probably there to tease an upcoming Gen 3 remake/sequel/toaster oven like a lot of OTHER things in this game. If Mega Evolutions are still an accessible thing there (which is something I'm DYING to see how they pull off considering how Mega Evolutions have been shoved down our throats as the Big Secret of the Kalos Region Hurr Durr™) it's probable Sceptile and Swampert will get ones too. X/Y would probably get patched to accommodate for any new Mega Evolutions if those become a thing.

It's black, and blue, and part Dragon-type...
I'm in love. And so very, very shallow.

Design-wise, I do quite like this mega form. I'm not overly fond of its odd shoulder spikes but I quite like its wings and head. I've never been a big fan of that third spike on Mega Charizard Y's head. I do question whether an additional mega form for Charizard was actually necessary (and in all honesty it really, really wasn't) but overall I can't complain too much because I'm incredibly biased. :p

At the end of the day, I'll be very happy to take advantage of this new mega form when I get around to playing X. ^^
If your taking advantage, some weirdos slap on action replay and BAM shiny arceus btw don't do it, there sometimes glitched, i learned that the hard way 1 time :(

FlamingRubyRed

Formerly AshCatch'Em
Charizard_MegaX_XY.gif
Seems to be more famous than Mega Charizard Y. Hes used as X in Origins, the Mega Evolution Special,
and to be honest, Charizard is cherished to much. they gave him two different mega evolutions. Venusaur and Blastoise don't get that.

Last edited:
Blue Flame = Yes (because it's always a shiny)
Green as Shiny = Yes
Being Fire and Dragon = No (Great. My Charizard developed a fear of fairies.)
Still, really great pokemon.

When i heard that they where making charizard two diffrent versions origonaly i was sooo excited knowing in my heard they would make one of them dragon/fire I had such high hopes for this pokemon.....Having said that the over all look of charizard x is nothing like i was hoping for minus his head feet claws and tail the wings looks more like pedals of a flower really >..< thats not dragon at all I also agree with the others when it comes to the shoulder spikes ...far as the blue cotton candy looking things out of his mouth if they would have mad it look like moving fire that would have been so much cooler. I am very happy they made him into a dragon fire and i will always use him in my dragon team cause come on he may not the best but he is boss when he is battling I have had great victorys with him it helped my team a ton. :)

Wow! GameFreak finaly made a dragon-like Charizard INTO a dragon type!! But I think that they made a new Charizard evolution cuz the MegaMewtwo Y had a better design than the X one and they wanted to make a ballance in the two games. Also, so traiding has a part in it too!

in agree it is about time that they made charizard a dragon but what i'm sad about is that they made mega-gyrados a water and DARK not dragon like they should. Gyrados has a lot more dragon attributes than Charizard it even says in the pokedex that magikarp has dragon DNA in it!