• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

The Dark Tournament

Should the NPC have shown Nightmares

• yes- more depth and environment

Votes: 8 100.0%
  • no-takes away from the pcs

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Really shouldn't be an event your not supposed to see him. At least in the anime they showed ghost Pokemon cable of being invisible at times to humans. If nothing else it's a ranged ability he could hit you from the tree tops. I don't foresee a visual effect with it either the effect should be stealthy. So whenever you decide you want to have it happen go ahead.

At least in the anime they showed ghost Pokemon cable of being invisible at times to humans.
I also seem to remember them simply yanking a person's soul from his/her body in the anime.

And there was a Ghastly once that just conjured up pokemon to fight for him. He even combined a blastoise and a venusaur into a single hybrid Pokemon.

Don't worry though, I at least wasn't planning to defeating the Pokemon any time soon. He'll probably just fly off, depending on if Cassie goes ghostbuster on his ass or not :D

Mathew isn't currently desires a straight confrontation yet. So you can have the Gengar fly off. Trust me you do not want to force a direct confrontation with him right now your not ready.

If you two really want a confrontation right now. Then I will allow it under one condition it's a devastating loss for the players but it will not end in death or even capture just some humiliation for now and knowledge of what you are up against.

Are you kidding me, I didn't want the encounter at all, regardless of the state Salem's currently in. :D

That said, there's great value in having seen the shade though.
-

Last edited:
Really shouldn't be an event your not supposed to see him. At least in the anime they showed ghost Pokemon cable of being invisible at times to humans. If nothing else it's a ranged ability he could hit you from the tree tops. I don't foresee a visual effect with it either the effect should be stealthy. So whenever you decide you want to have it happen go ahead.
But we didn't see him. The problem was, Astral, you chose a Pokemon that makes its presence known when in an area. Gengar absorbs heat from the surrounding area, which drops the temperature. They also hide in the shadows, called the Shadow Pokemon, and naturally loves to pretend to be one's shadow, and then causing said shadows to behave erratically. The spots Cassie was seeing is the mind invasion itself, the confusion. She's normally a very organized person, so when something changes that's beyond her control, she knows something's up. Cassie is an ace trainer. She put two and two together and figured out what was going on. She also has vast experience with these sort of things. One of them being from Darkrai. I don't think you can really out do Darkrai.

Mathew isn't currently desires a straight confrontation yet. So you can have the Gengar fly off. Trust me you do not want to force a direct confrontation with him right now your not ready.
I think Lady would've been able to square off with the Gengar quite well (as Cassie was already calling her) especially since he's operating without his trainer. But then it makes more sense for it to want to bail.

“Furnace Ape!” Salem called after it, not remembering what it was properly called in the heat of the moment.
Furnace Ape sounds like something out of a bootleg game XD Though it is actually quite an accurate description.

Mathew must've invested all his EV's in defense. Because Gengar has terrible Defenses :p Or maybe Achilles is like 20 levels below it, either or, quite the dangerous foe. All the more reason to hate the dude.
Interesting team you got there BurbleBurble. What stood out to me most noticeably was the general direction it's going Type wise. Aside from June there's no elemental type in there at all. It's all the more mysterious types like Ghost, Dragon, and Psychic. I guess it stands out because of how Gerald behaves. I fully expected him to have more lively types like Grass, Water, Fire, and Electric.
Interesting observation, Ny. You see, at the time I first picked out Gerald's team, I just kind of went with what worked, and ones not commonly used on the RP threads (For example, Pokemon like Eevee and Zorua just are everywhere in Roleplay.), But I also wanted to play with the dynamic of the trainer being more reliant on their Pokemon. So I thought, "Human like Pokemon, I like the Fennekin line, Braixen it is". Then I just shambled together the rest of his team (Uncommon trope coverers, Fragile Speedsters in the form of Lopunny and Shedinja, the warrior in the Doublade and Scolipede).

I never really made the mysterious typed Pokemon connection though.
You're welcome. :D
Also, I thought June convincing Million she was a 'magic' type instead of a fire type really funny. You have such an interesting dynamic going on.
Thanks for that, both Puff's potential mental pain, and that compliment ;)

Gerald's team just...it's hard to describe them. Oddballs, some who get along, some who don't, but they try, and that's what matters!...But winning WOULD be nice...

Can't wait for the future posts from everyone, and possible later conflict with Mathew's "Warning Shots".

Mathew must've invested all his EV's in defense. Because Gengar has terrible Defenses :p Or maybe Achilles is like 20 levels below it, either or, quite the dangerous foe. All the more reason to hate the dude.
Well, I looked into Gengar and Infernape before deciding on the direction this battle should take, and while Gengar actually has a slightly higher speed stat I made Achilles to be the faster one, figuring it would be the main stat of the extra small simian, which kinda surprised the Gengar. Then you need to know that Gengar doesn't just have resistance to Fighting Type, it is completely immune to it. And of course in his ignorance and arrogance Achilles went to town on the ghost using Close Combat, a Fighting type move. So it's got nothing to do with stats that the Ghost took no damage there, and everything to do with Salem not knowing a damn thing about it, and the Infernape just not thinking either.

Also, Achilles is quite comfortable and familiar with the move Flare Blitz actually, which means he's at the very least around lvl. 70. If only he'd led with that, then Gengar would probably not be grinning so much anymore.

Now I don't know what level this Gengar is, or what level Lady is after her rare candy diet, but the typing is strongly in favor of the Liepard should they fight.
Gengar is weak to Ghost, Psychic, and Dark attacks funnily enough, while Liepard is resistant to Ghost and Dark, and even completely immune to Psychic.

Last edited:
Well, I looked into Gengar and Infernape before deciding on the direction this battle should take, and while Gengar actually has a slightly higher speed state I made Achilles to be the faster one, which kinda surprised the Gengar. Then you need to know that Gengar doesn't just have resistance to Fighting Type, it is completely immune to it. And of course in his ignorance and arrogance Achilles went to town on the ghost using Close Combat, a Fighting type move. So it's got nothing to do with stats that the Ghost took no damage there, and everything to do with Salem not knowing a damn thing about it, and the Infernape just not thinking either.

Also, Achilles is quite comfortable and familiar with the move Flare Blitz actually, which means he's at the very least around lvl. 70. If only he'd led with that, then Gengar would probably not be grinning so much anymore.
Oh. I must've missed that part, I swore he used flare blitz, or was competent enough to use something like Thunder Punch.

Then again, that pint-sized powerhouse of a monkey probably has a brain to match :p

On another note, I just found out that Gengar would be only a little shorter than June and Cassie, which is pretty scary.

Speaking of heights, how tall are some of the NPC's? I remember Salem saying that Lin was rather short as well, but I'd just like some confirmation on some of them.

Lin is the same as Cassie, 157 cm (5'2 ft) with dark hair, strong willed, stubborn, and covered in scars... :?
Salem is 177 cm (5'10 ft), Jasper is 180 cm (5'11 ft), Knox is 183 cm (6'0 ft), and if I recall right then Floyd is around 190 cm (6'2 ft).

The avarage Gengar is 150 cm (4'11 ft) so yeah, of a height with some of these girls, June especially.
The avarage Infernape is 120 cm (3'11 ft), but Achilles is less than a 100 cm.

To put things into perspective, Ajax stands over 230 cm (7'5 ft) so he truly towers over little things like Cassie, Lin, and June, as well as most of the other Pokémon for that matter.

Oh. I must've missed that part, I swore he used flare blitz, or was competent enough to use something like Thunder Punch.

Then again, that pint-sized powerhouse of a monkey probably has a brain to match :p
He's not stupid, just incredibly arrogant and loving a good fight too much. When the Gengar made a swipe at him he felt the need to really retaliate with some power punches and kicks. Too bad those were the only moves in his arsenal that would not affect the ghost.

Last edited:
Alright people announcement time. I've received a complaint from the admins regarding the referencing of images I did not personally draw, so I'm going to remove every image ever posted. Needless to say I will be busy for a bit :p

This also means that everyone linking those coins will have to take them down. Sorry about that.

It has been brought to my attention that many of the "character coins" and images you use in your posts utilize art that is not your work, uncredited, and that you most likely did not have permission to use.

This behaviour is very much frowned upon here, is disrespectful to the original artists, and is akin to art theft to a certain degree. Therefore, I must respectfully ask you to remove these from the site anywhere you've used them, and as I know that others in the group you RP with appear to use ones you've created - contact them and ask them to remove those as well.

Failure to do so will force us to take action and remove them ourselves, and that is going to involve consequences.

So let everyone learn from my mistake. You can't link images unless you drew them yourselves or you have explicit permission from the original creator to do so.

BurbleBurble, I am terribly sorry buddy, but this means you're going to have to go back through your posts and delete all the coins... Sorry, I wish it wasn't so.

SUPERRNOVAA, Same for you.

Curvykitten, you may very well be facing the same issues with your Tag images if you did not draw them yourself.

Astralkitsune, you've also used a lot of unaccredited imagery for places and NPC's. You probably want to take those down left you get in trouble with the Admins.

Last edited:
The point is not how strong the Gengar alone was. You also would be assuming incorrectly if you thought he was alone. If it's not an agreed upon battle and Mathew has not given his word then remember he has a full team to call upon and every single one is not limited to 4 moves like you are. Then their is the danger of Mathew himself and the fact that the Gengar is not his main pokemon companion.

Also I am rather curious if the is all images including our profile images or just the coins because you photoshoped someone else's artwork

It's not just that I photoshopped them. Stellar explained that they don't want people just cheating out of giving proper descriptions by simply stealing random art wherever. They're a lot more lax when it comes to decorating your profiles, which is why I haven't taken down that particular coin. But actually giving your own meaning to someone else's work is what the main issue is here.

The point is not how strong the Gengar alone was. You also would be assuming incorrectly if you thought he was alone. If it's not an agreed upon battle and Mathew has not given his word then remember he has a full team to call upon and every single one is not limited to 4 moves like you are. Then their is the danger of Mathew himself and the fact that the Gengar is not his main pokemon companion.
Yeah? I'm not assuming anything. If you want to throw in more Pokémon then that's your prerogative. And it's because I knew him to not be limited to 4 moves that I just had him use Shadow Punch and Shadow Ball without asking you first if those would be moves in his arsenal.
I'm not sure what Mathew has to do with things here because he doesn't seem to be present, and I equally don't understand what it matters if Gengar is his main companion or not. I'm unsure, are you disapproving of what we've written so far?

At the time I figured it was fine since the mods have commented several times about our Roleplay here. Guess I was wrong :?
Yeah I also thought that we were fine as long as I wasn't posting them up on the creative corner and claiming owner ship of the art and such. My only intention was to add a little clarity and visual fun to the RP.

No what you have written is fine. Mathew is a very stealthy individual and just because you two haven't seen him does not mean he is not in the area. That is what I was saying I was more replying to Cassie's original plan to have Lady fight the Gengar. Also Pen said that he was operating without his trainer. That was the incorrect assumption.

The point is their doesn't need to be an issue or confusion. You guys opted to not fight Mathew so their is no issue. Limited control of the Gengar in the scene was fine but if the situation had become more serious then you would have had to wait for me to take direct control over Mathew and his team.

The point is their doesn't need to be an issue or confusion. You guys opted to not fight Mathew so their is no issue. Limited control of the Gengar in the scene was fine but if the situation had become more serious then you would have had to wait for me to take direct control over Mathew and his team.
Ah yeah of course. It was already agreed we wouldn't be controlling any proper enemies, just just from that you could deduct that we wouldn't actually defeat Gengar.
-

Also, rejoice everyone! Pen and I have decided to write out the childhood meeting of lil' Cassie and lil' Salem as a short campaign, so go give it a read if you're interested in the antics on these children. You can find a link here or down in my signature. There is also a discussion board for it that I doubt will see much action, but if you have any comments or opinions, or suggestions for actions or interactions then you can post those here. The RP isn't planned out yet beyond the initial meeting, so we actually welcome any and all input you may have.

Last edited:
Aww, I was half hoping that the sinister little Diglett would actually comically fail at it's attempt to assault Megan. That she would only feel a soft bump beneath her feet and nothing else, and that the Diglett would then make it his life goal to get her someday. He'd follow her around constantly trying failed sneak attacks until when the campaign is over and the virus is lifted he ends up as her Pokémon.
A weak little Pokémon for a weak little girl. :D
They're a good match I think.

Okay alright, I know this doesn't have anything to do with the RP, and I normally don't bother myself with politics, especially not such flawed politics as the US seems to suffer, however... This video was pretty good, so I'm sharing it.

No what you have written is fine. Mathew is a very stealthy individual and just because you two haven't seen him does not mean he is not in the area. That is what I was saying I was more replying to Cassie's original plan to have Lady fight the Gengar. Also Pen said that he was operating without his trainer. That was the incorrect assumption.

Are you saying that Mathew is actually there and stalking them? :o

Because I don't think his team would've been released to just roam around freely without hid supervision, because he'd be defenseless without them as well.

I didn't see any of this before I posted, so, if you need me to change anything, just say so.

I hate to ask you to change such a large post but yea you overstepped. Mathews Pokemon are not wild and that is too in depth to be out of my control.

Please don't take this as a complaint or chiding. I love your writing and your post length but the situation this time is not what you thought it was.

I hate to ask you to change such a large post but yea you overstepped. Mathews Pokemon are not wild and that is too in depth to be out of my control.

Please don't take this as a complaint or chiding. I love your writing and your post length but the situation this time is not what you thought it was.
If Pen removes the Gengar section, then what should she replace it with? I mean, asking it to change if your right of course, but I think it would help if you specified what about this entry it was, that isn't right.

What's a full confrontation? Mathew jumping out of the bushes she swinging a full team around? To be honest I don't really see the problem with the way the encounter played it. Gengar tried to mess with Cassie to mixed success and then wanted to leave, but not before knocking a monkey out of the way and being made aware of the Dark type that could pose a problem in the future.
Is it the perspective that perhaps that was wrong? Or did you want to write his actions?

I agree with Astral, and in some ways I prefer this one as the Gengar seems much more powerful and mysterious, more of a creature to be feared. That being said Pen, I just thought I would give you a heads up that there are a few spelling mistakes in that entry that you might want to go back and fix when you have the time! (Not gonna lie im taking no small pleasure in being able to say that to you after all the nit picking I get from you and Nygenn XD )

I agree with Astral, and in some ways I prefer this one as the Gengar seems much more powerful and mysterious, more of a creature to be feared. That being said Pen, I just thought I would give you a heads up that there are a few spelling mistakes in that entry that you might want to go back and fix when you have the time! (Not gonna lie im taking no small pleasure in being able to say that to you after all the nit picking I get from you and Nygenn XD )
Haha! Very well, Jake. I shall practice what I preach. :)

Agh, I see what you mean. You can blame my phone's autocorrect for that.

EDIT: Alright, all fixed. I hope it's satisfactory to you, Jake.

Last edited:
(Not gonna lie im taking no small pleasure in being able to say that to you after all the nit picking I get from you and Nygenn XD )
Nai-djenn not nit picking, soopid hoomanling!

I swear sometimes it seems like I breath spelling mistakes with the amount I keep making. No the things I mostly care about is the flow, structure, and how believable the content is. As a designer that's my focus. :)

Guys! I just wanted to say that Ny and I am planning this non-canon, lighthearted roleplay on the side about anthropomorphic pokemon- you know, gijinkas? It's set in an alternate universe and just supposed to be something fun and random, but we'd love to have you all on board. It's definitely not as epic or demanding detail and perfection like DT is, so, I hope you'll give it a shot. But if not, then that's fine too. At the moment, we're waiting for enough players to start with.

But here is the discussion if you're interested!

Guys! I just wanted to say that Ny and I am planning this non-canon, lighthearted roleplay on the side about anthropomorphic pokemon- you know, gijinkas? It's set in an alternate universe and just supposed to be something fun and random, but we'd love to have you all on board. It's definitely not as epic or demanding detail and perfection like DT is, so, I hope you'll give it a shot. But if not, then that's fine too. At the moment, we're waiting for enough players to start with.

But here is the discussion if you're interested!
That sounds cool! I would love to be apart of it but I'm a little confused, are we Pokemon who act like humans? Or humans who have Pokemon features?