• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

The Dark Tournament

Should the NPC have shown Nightmares

• yes- more depth and environment

Votes: 8 100.0%
  • no-takes away from the pcs

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Glad that Lord of the Flies reference didn't go to waste :D

Also, Megan's so innocent...Probably going to get her murdered by the killer Eevees.

Hey, Loziana? What's up with the fire clan thing? I don't quite understand it...
Edit: I mean, I know she's apparently from the island, but how is she a doctor then? The island was rather isolated and I imagine there was no technology there (and was much too far to use wooden ships, otherwise there would probably be police closing down on the place by now).

Last edited:
Guys, I came across an image that was just perfect for Salem. The face and hair was exactly how I always imagined Salem to be, I just had to make the skin dark and change the eye color. There has been some discussion about this but let me just state once an for all the color of Salem's eyes is Sea Green, or Caribbean Green to be more specific. As you can see it's a light type of green that really stands out from his darker skin.

This is going to be Salem's profile image for the next campaign. The one where Salem travels to Unova to learn about modern culture and what it means to be a Pokémon Trainer.

I just couldn't wait to show you guys the image though, because it's such an accurate representation. For now just imagine this guy but then half or fully naked. :D

G4gHyEI.jpg

Original image of Zen by the magnificent artist Stanley Lau, better known as Artgerm.

Last edited:
Aidiana was last on the island when she was 5 years old she doesn't even remember the place. She was out with her father, on a fishing trip. She had stowed away when they were caught in a storm. Aidinia was found by a passing ship and brought aboard where she was taken back to Kanto, and then put up for adoption.

As for her skin tone Aidinia is not an albino per se but her family line does have a genetic marker toward lighter skin tone that is very strong. The rest of the natives would not have that. Same with the hair tone.

Edit: It's a little late to change her appearance now, but her original background does have her from the island she just didn't think about it when she gave Aidinia's description the first time and she didn't realize how tropical I would be making the Island just then either. So shes clearly not albino and there is only so much we can go with this as she doesn't seem to tan. So I am explaining it as a genetic familial quirk and it fits with the background idea I have for Aidiana's family.

I did help her some with that part of the dream post as well. The brand has been mentioned before although Salem just kind of overlooked it. I just asked her if we wanted to add a little more mysticsm to it and a pokemon instead of an iron. Another way to explain why the brand has not changed despite her ageing.

Last edited:
Btw, back on the discussion of if Mathew or Salem would win in a fight, I just want to point out that Salem's martial arts instructor was Master Ken, so... 8)

I would like to join!
Trainer name: Itigus Red
Pokemon: Mightyena (Ajax)
Moves: Iron Tail, Play Rough, Sucker Punch, Fire Fang.
Ability: Moxie

A Brief Synopsis:
Itigus is a perceptive trainer, and possesses a high battle sense. Despite using a Pokemon considered to be feeling week, he has managed to win numerous battles through wit alone. He is very distrusting of people, and has problems opening up to others. Even people he considers friends are also people he has a plan of contingency should they turn on him. The only thing Itigus truly trusts in is his Pokemon, and himself. He possesses athletic ability, and is rather suspicious about the true intentions of these 'benefactors'. Itigus will never show every tool in his cabinet to anyone, and always attempts to be three steps ahead of his opponents.
(His appearance is my profile pic btw)

I would like to join!
Trainer name: Itigus Red
Pokemon: Mightyena (Ajax)
Moves: Iron Tail, Play Rough, Sucker Punch, Fire Fang.
Ability: Moxie

A Brief Synopsis:
Itigus is a perceptive trainer, and possesses a high battle sense. Despite using a Pokemon considered to be feeling week, he has managed to win numerous battles through wit alone. He is very distrusting of people, and has problems opening up to others. Even people he considers friends are also people he has a plan of contingency should they turn on him. The only thing Itigus truly trusts in is his Pokemon, and himself. He possesses athletic ability, and is rather suspicious about the true intentions of these 'benefactors'. Itigus will never show every tool in his cabinet to anyone, and always attempts to be three steps ahead of his opponents.
(His appearance is my profile pic btw)
Hello there! Now I belive the real main players of this Rp are currently asleep so I will try my best to act in their absence here. First of all if you look back to other entries for this roleplay you will see that your character reference will have to be a lot more detailed than the one you have provided. The other requirements you must fulfil to join this roleplay are that you have read the entire story as of so far, start to finish, and that you can provide writing of a similar standard to those already involved in this tale. Another small note is that there is already a character named Ajax, so you may want to change that.
But if your willing to do all that I think those in charge may accept you into the story. But again I have no power here so dont take my word for anything, im just trying to act in the place of those absent. :)

Hello there! Now I belive the real main players of this Rp are currently asleep so I will try my best to act in their absence here. First of all if you look back to other entries for this roleplay you will see that your character reference will have to be a lot more detailed than the one you have provided. The other requirements you must fulfil to join this roleplay are that you have read the entire story as of so far, start to finish, and that you can provide writing of a similar standard to those already involved in this tale. Another small note is that there is already a character named Ajax, so you may want to change that.
But if your willing to do all that I think those in charge may accept you into the story. But again I have no power here so dont take my word for anything, im just trying to act in the place of those absent. :)

Thanks for the reply. However, shouldn't I know just as much as my character does? What would be the point in reading the entire story since the knowledge is useless to my character? If I wanted to get a feel for the quality of the RP wouldn't I simply just read the last page? By all means I am willing to take a few hours to read the entire story, but I would like to know if it's even necessary for me to play my character at all.
As for the character names, is it really necessary for me to change the name of my Mightyena? Surely two characters can share the same name?
As for the character reference, do you mean to say that I need to describe my character's appearance in words rather than having you look at my profile picture? From the first page, I did not see too many people apply with very long character bios. The same ones who had shorter applications than mine were also accepted, and the initial post said nothing about a word requirement.
Once again, I'm willing, and capable of doing all of this, but I just wish to know if this is necessary. I do understand that this RP will require a large amount of description to which I can promise that I can easily accomplish.
I know you do not really have much of a say in the matter, which is why I am leaving this post here so that someone who does can reply with answers. As was stated in my first post, I only gave a brief synopsis of my character. I tend to do so in order to prevent other people from attaining divine knowledge of my character, and using it against me.

So the guy who replied to you is offline. So I'll reply for a while, just to explain things. Of course, just as Jake, take it with a grain of salt :p
As for the character names, is it really necessary for me to change the name of my Mightyena? Surely two characters can share the same name?
The problem with the two share a name thing, is that what if these two characters ever meet up? How to we brand them? Ajax-B and Ajax-M? It's just not sightly. I'm sure there is a name that fits the character in question, that isn't Ajax. Or drop the A and just call him Jax or something like that :p
However, shouldn't I know just as much as my character does? What would be the point in reading the entire story since the knowledge is useless to my character?
Not at all. How are you supposed to grasp these characters? What happens when a character pops up and you don't understand who they are? For example, how can you be sure someone (Say, June) was a human or a Pokemon? Perhaps the interactions in the beginning could be skipped a tad, but those are the introductions and important things arise out of them (See Salem and Cassie, for example.). What if prior events get mentioned? Those are the reason you read it all, unless you want to be confused.
As for the character reference, do you mean to say that I need to describe my character's appearance in words rather than having you look at my profile picture? From the first page, I did not see too many people apply with very long character bios.
You see, those people didn't stick around (Except Loz and Turt for a bit). But now the stakes are raised on post length and all. To be fair, the clothes don't even matter much, since Rocket shunted them in some jet black tacky gear (Another thing you may have misinterpreted). If you describe their physical features, such as hair color, eye color, and skin tone, that helps a ton. Especially since your profile is black and white with red dabbled in.
As was stated in my first post, I only gave a brief synopsis of my character. I tend to do so in order to prevent other people from attaining divine knowledge of my character, and using it against me.
"Divine Knowledge"? I'm not sure what your on about :p We expect you to make a small history and then description of your char, because as I said before the stakes have been raised. And in reality, most of these characters haven't been used in a roleplay prior to this. Cassie and Gerald are the exceptions, and both have established backstory. Everyone so far has had a least a bit of a established backstory, even the NPC's (I think Megan is the only one who doesn't). So a brief synopsis means the characters general info, a look of history, and their Pokemon.

I think that covers the bases.

So the guy who replied to you is offline. So I'll reply for a while, just to explain things. Of course, just as Jake, take it with a grain of salt :p

The problem with the two share a name thing, is that what if these two characters ever meet up? How to we brand them? Ajax-B and Ajax-M? It's just not sightly. I'm sure there is a name that fits the character in question, that isn't Ajax. Or drop the A and just call him Jax or something like that :p

Not at all. How are you supposed to grasp these characters? What happens when a character pops up and you don't understand who they are? For example, how can you be sure someone (Say, June) was a human or a Pokemon? Perhaps the interactions in the beginning could be skipped a tad, but those are the introductions and important things arise out of them (See Salem and Cassie, for example.). What if prior events get mentioned? Those are the reason you read it all, unless you want to be confused.

You see, those people didn't stick around (Except Loz and Turt for a bit). But now the stakes are raised on post length and all. To be fair, the clothes don't even matter much, since Rocket shunted them in some jet black tacky gear (Another thing you may have misinterpreted). If you describe their physical features, such as hair color, eye color, and skin tone, that helps a ton. Especially since your profile is black and white with red dabbled in.

"Divine Knowledge"? I'm not sure what your on about :p We expect you to make a small history and then description of your char, because as I said before the stakes have been raised. And in reality, most of these characters haven't been used in a roleplay prior to this. Cassie and Gerald are the exceptions, and both have established backstory. Everyone so far has had a least a bit of a established backstory, even the NPC's (I think Megan is the only one who doesn't). So a brief synopsis means the characters general info, a look of history, and their Pokemon.

I think that covers the bases.
I understand, however, you could refer to Ajax simply as "Itigus' Mightyena" or "The Mightyena." That wouldn't lead to too much confusion would it? The name does have special meaning to the character, and I'd hate to have to resort to calling the Mightyena something like "Shadow" or "Umbra"
As for reading, it is not necessary for me to read the entire thing then. A simple skimming, and annotation of posts for necessary knowledge would suffice. After all, why should I spend a large amount of time reading a thread that I might not be able to participate in?
If prior events are mentioned then I don't see how that would need to be known by Itigus. I do understand if it was in terms of events that effected everyone on the island however, in which case I would do my research before posting. As for Itigus grasping other characters, he's not much of a people person. While he tends to psychoanalyze others, he also tends to stray away, and distrust them too.
When I say "Divine Knowledge" I mean the situation in which one person is able to magically 'guess' traits, abilities, and historical events of my character. To put it in other words, I do this to prevent metagaming on my character. However, as I said before, I am perfectly capable of setting up a backstory for the character, and writing several pages worth of roleplay with correct grammar/syntax.
My main point concern is whether it is absolutely necessary or not for me to do so. I'd think I may have at least demonstrated somewhat of a grasp on the English language with my replies.

Ok so the last two new players we got have had to do their homework and are both still being graded by Ny and Pen.

They were both required to read the entire thread first. You make it sound like a punishment. If you really want to join a thread that is pre established you should be personally intrested in the thread because you read the whole thing.

This thread is not sandbox and their have been major plot points spread throughout its history. If you are to lazy to read a good story then I am not going to explain them to you.

Meta gaming shouldn't be an issue as this is no longer a tournament against the other PC's. Everyone is in the same boat just trying to survive.

At this point my players are only intrested in bringing new people in that they feel will add something special to the story.

Ok so the last two new players we got have had to do their homework and are both still being graded by Ny and Pen.

They were both required to read the entire thread first. You make it sound like a punishment. If you really want to join a thread that is pre established you should be personally intrested in the thread because you read the whole thing.

This thread is not sandbox and their have been major plot points spread throughout its history. If you are to lazy to read a good story then I am not going to explain them to you.

Meta gaming shouldn't be an issue as this is no longer a tournament against the other PC's. Everyone is in the same boat just trying to survive.

At this point my players are only intrested in bringing new people in that they feel will add something special to the story.

Well while I was in between posts I have skimmed through it, and decided it was interesting. Surely, this is no novel, but it is of a higher quality. My only gripe is that sometimes (Not all the time) quantity of words is traded in for quality.
Feel free to quiz me on any important plot points, and I should be able to accurately tell them to you within a few minutes after seeing your reply.
A thread like this requires a large investment in time in order to read, which is why I asked if it was completely necessary that I read it all. Please understand this isn't to say that your post is bad, but that it is simply something I need to prepare myself for. I don't need to read the entire thread to be interested, but I do need to be invested in the thread in order to read it all.
Thank you for addressing the metagaming issue by the way. I can provide a detailed backstory in my next post if that's what you require.
If you are wanting to bring in new people who add something special to the story then allow me to advocate for myself, and show you how well I can do. Since Itigus is a character that does not trust many people, he could act as a rogue element to both sides of either conflict, and is not bound by any connection aside from his Pokemon.
I would also like to state that I am not attempting to be combative with you, and I say everything in the most respectful manner possible. Like I said before, I can post a deeper backstory, and description for my character. As I wait for your reply I'll probably still be continuing to skim through, and take notes on the story as it's the most efficient way to both save time, and learn.

Ok, as a player in this thread let me explain exactly why you need to read what is going on. First, the thread has two major incidents that happened to every player. You need to read that and establish how your character reacted during those scenes. Secondly, in order to really grasp what is happening on this island you need to see what is happening from a third person point of view as the player. This is not you and an environment scenario. Because of that, you need to read the esablished background of the place. Everyone even npcs have established backstories. Aidinia's isn't as established in words because I live with the ST and I am bad to forget to type it here. That being said, we all talk out of character here often about our character background and traits.

This is not meant to be critical but you seamed really excited to join until you realized you had to actually involve yourself with other players. Do you have a problem personally with other people? If that is to personal a question I'll leave you alone but I would like to see everyone playing have a good time.

Ok, as a player in this thread let me explain exactly why you need to read what is going on. First, the thread has two major incidents that happened to every player. You need to read that and establish how your character reacted during those scenes. Secondly, in order to really grasp what is happening on this island you need to see what is happening from a third person point of view as the player. This is not you and an environment scenario. Because of that, you need to read the esablished background of the place. Everyone even npcs have established backstories. Aidinia's isn't as established in words because I live with the ST and I am bad to forget to type it here. That being said, we all talk out of character here often about our character background and traits.

This is not meant to be critical but you seamed really excited to join until you realized you had to actually involve yourself with other players. Do you have a problem personally with other people? If that is to personal a question I'll leave you alone but I would like to see everyone playing have a good time.

Alright, I understand it now thanks. As far as I can tell, there wouldn't be too much of a problem with Itigus arriving on the island without having been on it prior to this would there? Unless I missed an event making that impossible? Such as a part in the story in which no transport is allowed to or from the island.
If that's the case, I would need to explain why there was no interaction from Itigus throughout the entire story. Although I could possibly work around that by stating he was simply watching from a distance, and keeping himself hidden.
Please do understand that from my point of view a twelve page thread with multi paragraph posts is an intimidating, and daunting read. I only wish to find out whether or not the thread is truly worth such an investment in my time. The worst case scenario would be I read the entirety of it, and I am not accepted. While I understand you all want to have RPers who don't need to have things explained to them, I don't think it is entirely necessary to read every word. By all means, I could read the entire post, and still forget about a few plot points even then.

As for me not wanting to involve myself with other people, that is simply not true. I am well open to interacting with other people during the RP, but Itigus as a character is a person who likes to avoid such things. By all means, through later development he could open up, but Itigus will never show everything he has.
Also, there's no need to restrain yourself with me. I don't get mad easily, and I accept even harsh criticism of my work. I find it helps me grow as a writer xP. Like I said before, I have been lightly reading the thread, and I'm perfectly willing to post RPs of similar or greater length to the current ones.

There's no movement to or from the island because team rocket is monitoring movement. They will kill anyone who tries to come to or leave from the island. It is very possible to have had no interactions thus far but you have to write an introductory post that shows the character's interactions on the island up to this point, you could possibly if given the ok from Astral get away with starting at the point of awakening in the jungle, but that's up to her. That intro post would have to be long and catch you up to where we are. Curvy's (The character's name is Lily) was seven pages we don't expect that but it needs to be detailed.

Honestly what caught your attention about this thread? It's worth the read. But it's up to you. You can learn a lot about writing from this thread. There's dreamscaping, flashbacks and stories inside of the RP. So it's worth it but up to you.

There's no movement to or from the island because team rocket is monitoring movement. They will kill anyone who tries to come to or leave from the island. It is very possible to have had no interactions thus far but you have to write an introductory post that shows the character's interactions on the island up to this point, you could possibly if given the ok from Astral get away with starting at the point of awakening in the jungle, but that's up to her. That intro post would have to be long and catch you up to where we are. Curvy's (The character's name is Lily) was seven pages we don't expect that but it needs to be detailed.

Honestly what caught your attention about this thread? It's worth the read. But it's up to you. You can learn a lot about writing from this thread. There's dreamscaping, flashbacks and stories inside of the RP. So it's worth it but up to you.

Well a lot of the threads either have generic stories, poor grammar, poor story telling, flat characters, etc. Some threads have an interesting enough concept, but fail on execution, and from what I've sampled so far it's not executed too poorly. Even if the first few pages have noticeable grammar errors I can at least decipher what is happening. It very well could be worth the read, but at the same time it could not be.
In terms of the reason why my character hasn't interacted with anyone, I do have a suggestion, and please do tell me if this is a sort of godmod if it is.
My idea is that Itigus was suspicious of the island from the very beginning of the tournament, and chose to keep himself hidden from others to investigate. Since Itigus is perceptive, it would not be too far fetched to say that this was the case. After all, it doesn't take a braniac to be suspicious of shady benefactors gathering strong trainers on one island. I will have to do a bit more reading to flesh it out, but that is the general idea I have for explaining why it took so long for Itigus to show himself.

You asked for a test.

What happens if your Pokemon tries to use a move it should know but is not one of the four.

Edit: also what happend to Alex and Maverick

Are you asking in terms of rules of the RP, or in the canon of it for the first question?
In terms of the canon I can gather that the Pokemon is unable to use moves that aren't registered as the current four.
""JUNE! Show em' your Shock Wave!" Cassie heard Gerald's voice from a flickering memory. One her ears had recorded during her descent into the void. "June? What's going on?" Shock Wave wasn't working... She wondered why. "Uh...Change of plans! Will-O-Wisp!" Yet Will-O-Wisp had. She can't help but wonder...

"Lady, can you use Torment?" She called with a calm, even voice while Arrow and June were undoubtedly assaulting the Feraligatr with their trainer's directions, and it, being focused on the moving targets, ignored her and Lady. The Liepard looked at her, almost confused. Almost as if unable to use the move she knew well. "Taunt?" Still nothing. Cassie placed her hand on her chin, despite the utter chaos and destruction occurring around them. "Do you remember Night Slash?"

At least, that's what I gather from this excerpt here...
For the second question,
"“Here is what’s going to happen psycho, every single trainer on this Island is going to tear through a few wild pokemon and then we are going to come for you and I am going to personally kick you’re a…….” Alex’s words were cut short suddenly as his head rocked back and a splatter of blood shot out of the back of his head. His body slumped forward onto Maverik’s neck. Maverik let out a keening cry of despair, and then a gigantic column of lightning ripped through the air from above completely encompassing the large bird pokemon for a moment. When the lighting finally cleared, everyone below could see the Pidgeot falling rapidly towards the unforgiving ground below with his trainers body falling separately beside, still leaking blood from the hole right between his once vibrant eyes."
He also later gets his hand eaten by a Leipard, but that's besides the point.

To answer the second part:
" A newly created retrovirus has been dispersed via airborne means across the entire Island.” He gave a large smile that seemed to encompass his whole face, “It does some rather fascinating things involving the adrenal gland and the medulla oblongata.” He shook his head, “anyway let me make it rather simply explained out for you. All of the wild pokemon on this island are going to be more hostile than any pokemon you have ever encountered, they will attack you on sight, fight to the death, and they are bigger, faster and meaner than they were before.” He turned back to look down at everyone on the ground below, “That’s right, my little lab rats….”"
This is the first time it's mentioned. ^
I know what it does too: "The Pokemon are infected with a virus that makes them more aggressive and powerful, and they plan on releasing troops on us as well. "
Prepared by a subsidiary: "And some trinkets. It's all prepared by a subsidery of Team Rocket of sorts...bastards. Can you put the knife down now?" "
Who's the Subsidiary?: "You have to understand Red Stripe Fever has been vexing Dr.s for years and taken many pokemon lives. No one has ever even come close to curing it."
To answer the second question: "The Retrovirus was designed to cure a pokemon of a particularly virulent disease known as Red Strip Fever."
This took me a few minutes to look up, and is something I can consistently do whenever I have questions during my writing phase. Any more questions?

Ok you have proven your mastery over the Cntrl-F function here is one last one.

What is the name of Lilly's full team.

Edit: although your answer of a subsidiary was wrong.

I assume you mean Lily? White hair? Blue eyes?
Pangoro(Dynami). That's the only Pokemon she seems to ever have so...

As for the Subsidiary, sorry for the confusion I did mean to say Dr.Nevashi, but for some reason that error stayed in. (Btw it's pretty late where I am XD) ""Eight months after recieving the letter I cracked the missing variables. I used a modified T3bacteriaphage to be the carrier and reset it's RNA coding to bond to pokemon cells instead of bacterial ones." The Dr. just shook his head, "I was so damned proud of myself too." A year later I got a wonderful job offer to take care of some tournament pokemon from my mysterious benefactor. He said we would finally get to meet face to face and that I would personally see the results of my hard work." Nevashi gave a bitter laugh, "whoever he was he certainly had a sense of humor. I couldn't pack my bags fast enough." He stood up and gestured rather dramatically in a mocking way, "So you see all of this is my fault." "

The reason you couldn't find the answer to Lily's team names is because her intro is spoiler tagged because of its length.

Jake, Mozza, and Curvy read the whole thread before they were accepted. It is not fair for you to not be held to the same standards.

If you want to redo your character bio with an in depth background and read the thread. Then you just have to get accepted by Ny and Pen.

Whoa guys, what's with this hazing? :D
Some of those questions I couldn't even answer without diving back into the story and looking for the right posts.
I have to say I really like you Dreiki, your posts here are eloquent enough and for someone who says he doesn't want to waste time reading a lengthy story before he gets in, you sure are a patient guy dealing with all these comments. I applaud you because I am sure that if it were me in your shoes I would have likely left already. :p

So, no to addressing a few of the points I saw fly by.
I actually see no problem with you calling your Pokémon Ajax, and my character certainly wouldn't. If it was just a random name then we'd request a change for ease of use, but if there is meaning to it then by all means, I think you should keep it. It'll lead to some interesting interactions down the line, I'm sure.

Then, I can fully understand your hesitation in wanting to read through all 12 pages of story we have accumulated so far. While it's not really necessary from a technical point of view to do so, I am sure you can image some people might feel a bit disrespected by this dismissal of their work. As for wanting to know only as much as your character, there certainly are merits to that, but not so much in this format of Role Playing. We're not a group of players competing with a GM and each other and only dealing with things as they come to our characters, we are more of a group of story tellers working collectively to tell the story of the Dark Tournament. The more you know about the other characters and their antics, the better you can incorporate them into your own writing. You need to know where people are, with whom, and what they are doing. Why they are doing it would help greatly because then you can add to, and support another player in his/her actions, especially when they are less experienced. This is also why we would like to know as much about your character as we can, at least I do.
Not to meta game and miraculously guess at events from his past, but to get a better understanding of the character so that I can better visualize the manner in which he would do specific actions. Keep in mind that a big problem with Role Play is that the only form of communication we have are words and objective actions. This means we're operating with a good 80% of what makes up interactions lost to us. Having more knowledge and understanding a character better just helps cover some of this.

Now as I said at the start, I actually like what I am seeing of you so far. I completely understand your objections, agree your reasons, and applaud your patience and steadfastness. I'm already incline to give you my approval, but we're still going to need a more proper bio of your character. Just humor us, and if it helps, see if as a way to go over the details of your character for yourself. I always find that it helps me understand my character better, much as I dislike writing biographies.

As for your introduction into the story, some things you should just accept, regardless of your characters prowess or intentions. I am sure that a case could be made for why and how your character would have seen things coming and avoided them to some extend, and while that would likely make for a great story, you're just going to have to accept that the GM wants all the players on the game board, and not have some walk around the table outside of the game.

I hope this was all helpful to some extend.
-

On a side note, I feel that I would be remis if I did not point you int he direction of a new RP that only just started, solving many of the issues here. It's called "Once Upon a Time in Suimera" which I believe managed to gathered some of the best writers on this forum. Could be worth a look, especially if quality is what you're looking for.

The reason you couldn't find the answer to Lily's team names is because her intro is spoiler tagged because of its length.

Jake, Mozza, and Curvy read the whole thread before they were accepted. It is not fair for you to not be held to the same standards.

If you want to redo your character bio with an in depth background and read the thread. Then you just have to get accepted by Ny and Pen.
Was it completely necessary for me to know Lily's team? Besides, now I know that there are spoiler posts, so I can easily just look for those now. Not to mention, Lily's team isn't even relevant as she only uses Pangoro.
It would be like asking you what my full team is, although that might be easier to find.

As for Nygenn's posts, I would like to thank you. I'm fully aware that a lot of the quiz questions are either irrelevant information, or things that weren't meant to be found easily. The reason I answered them was to show that I am perfectly capable of looking up the answers in a timely manner so as not to hurt the roleplay with misinformation. I also meant to state that I tend to give a small amount of information on Itigus out of habit as I was testing the waters. When I made my first post I did not know whether or not I would have to deal with such things, or if it would be a thread like you just described.
As I've stated numerous times before I'm perfectly willing to provide a lengthy bio of my character. At this point is should be no question at all whether or not I'm capable of writing lengthy posts. Though, you may have to wait a few hours as I have college work to deal with as well.
Regarding the new forum thread, I will check it out. Thanks again!
Edit:
Pangoro(Dynami), Scyther(Edge), Gyarados(Bubbles), Combusken(Charming), Piplup(Trip), and Chance The Asbol.

Last edited:
Was it completely necessary for me to know Lily's team? Besides, now I know that there are spoiler posts, so I can easily just look for those now. Not to mention, Lily's team isn't even relevant as she only uses Pangoro.
It would be like asking you what my full team is, although that might be easier to find.

As for Nygenn's posts, I would like to thank you. I'm fully aware that a lot of the quiz questions are either irrelevant information, or things that weren't meant to be found easily. The reason I answered them was to show that I am perfectly capable of looking up the answers in a timely manner so as not to hurt the roleplay with misinformation. I also meant to state that I tend to give a small amount of information on Itigus out of habit as I was testing the waters. When I made my first post I did not know whether or not I would have to deal with such things, or if it would be a thread like you just described.
As I've stated numerous times before I'm perfectly willing to provide a lengthy bio of my character. At this point is should be no question at all whether or not I'm capable of writing lengthy posts. Though, you may have to wait a few hours as I have college work to deal with as well.
Regarding the new forum thread, I will check it out. Thanks again!
Edit:
Pangoro(Dynami), Scyther(Edge), Gyarados(Bubbles), Combusken(Charming), Piplup(Trip), and Chance The Asbol.
Most of what I wanted to say has been said by Nygenn already, so, at risk of echoing his words, I'll just say this instead;

I'd clear you for entry.

With the reasoning skills and vocabulary you've displayed so far in this tense banter, I'd say you have more than enough potential to join us, perhaps even breach our upper ranks. I relate to you in not wanting to give away too much of your character, and I also know what a pain it is to have to absorb every little detail when your character is barely discovering them himself (because I hate squandering energy on what is past and does not relate to me), and if I were you, I'd be dying to just show what I can do. Jump right in. I acknowledge you're quite a special case. So, how about this;

Don't make a lengthy bio.

Immediately create your first post, but in it, you must be able to describe everything we possibly need to know about your character; what he looks like, how he behaves, what his passions are, what drives him, what his inner demons are, and what his weaknesses comprise of. That is to say, these have all been covered within the nightmare sequences, which I'm sure you are fully aware of, and I believe it to be the major point in developing your character. In my opinion, catching up to the entire story in full detail seems like a lot of work put in and lost. But I'm sure you feel the same way and can cleverly make use of short snippets that would provide us all a perfect image in its place, while also keeping it in perfect flow of your story telling.

Throw it all down for us to see. Put your money where your mouth is, and we'll be the judge of whether your bark is bigger than your bite. ;)

I'll be waiting.

Ok so I appreciate the fact that you did not lie about reading the whole thread. All I have to go on is an honor system, as there is no way to prove anyone read the thread.

I am going to accept the fact that you truly did not mean any offense or to come across negatively in your comments.

Not all of the questions were relevant to plot. This is true although some of them were.

I admit the question about Lily was deliberately just to stump you and prove you were using control F. Although you never claimed to the contrary just defended your right.

So let's start over.

1. I am still going to ask you to read the entire thread or at least promise too if your character profile gets accepted. This is because of the reason I stated before concerning the other three players that were asked to.

2. If you were that suspicious why would you have even attended the tournament. There is no way to get on the Island after the tournament began. The security is incredibly tight. As Ny said also, I do want all the players on the same board.

3. I do expect a nightmare sequence from you. Also as a plot point any time your character sleeps he will have a nightmare. Either a really bad traumatic memory, or a good memory turned very bad part way through.

4. Honestly I am a little concerned with the idea of another stand offish character, but if you are willing to let him have some growth and learn to work with others in the story then I will accept that. I am telling you this right now if you try to loan wolf the whole thing YOU WILL NOT SURVIVE.

Thanks for your replies guys. I've been reading these between classes, and thinking of ways to explain my way into the story, and formulate a reason as to why no one has known of Itigus thus far. I am currently thinking of having Itigus arrive on the island before the tournament started. I saw in the first few posts that not everyone arrived by ship, and some were on their Pokemon. Would it be a stretch to say Itigus took a back door to the island, and has kept himself under the radar while he investigates? It does fit with his backstory in that the region Itigus grew up in was controlled entirely by a criminal organization. He has experienced how they act, and what a crime syndicate's strategy consists of first hand. Although, considering the nature of the roleplay I'm not entirely certain whether or not Itigus would be considered too powerful. Perhaps through some network, he came across suspicious information regarding potential Team Rocket activity. After all, it's incredibly difficult to transport a large amount of resources to one small island covertly. By means of International Police, or perhaps his own volition Itigus could have been drawn to the island. There is a part in his backstory where Itigus achieved a lot of impressive feats under a false name. Perhaps that could come into play here too?
From what I've seen so far it wouldn't be too out of place to allow Itigus to be a champion of his region, but at the same time I'm willing to get rid of that.
Another matter I want to address before I make my first post is the amount of Pokemon I should have. I am perfectly capable, and willing, to start with a single pokemon. However, at the same time I believe I would be able to explain Itigus's lack of presence on the island if he had more resources to work with. After all, it would take a lot of effort to consistently avoid the eye of Team Rocket and the other trainers while still investigating. Even though I think I'd still be able to do so, I'm afraid of having to resort to plot armor in order for things to make sense. To Itigus, Pokemon are both friends, and his utility belt. Each one of his Pokemon would have a different purpose, and ability that allows him to be resourceful. At the same time, I believe that starting with a full team, and slowly losing them over time could make for dramatic, and interesting moments. Perhaps a dynamic in which Itigus blames the death/kidnapping of his Pokemon on another person? His distrust of people is both his flaw, and what keeps him alive after all.
From what I have read having a Pokedex wouldn't be out of place here either, but do tell me if it is.
I might be able to think of more things, but as of the current time in writing this post I need to get to class.

The two trainers who arrived by pokemon did not follow my intro and Icly they were immediately intercepted by a patrol. The only reason they were not disposed of then was that they had identification showing them legitimately there for the tournament and they were promptly escorted under armed guard to the resort.

Salem is the only other trainer who arrived by pokemon and he arrived at the designated docks with the other trainers arriving by boat.

Their is not a weak point in their defenses. This group of TR are less mob criminals and more ex-military elite so they do not operate like standard TR forces.

Your request to avoid the same route as the others is denied. As also for another point you are held to the same four move restriction as the other players, which means you were captured as they were. If you brought your other pokemon to the Island they are in TR hands when you were forced to turn them over at the tournament entry. Even Shade who was an undercover cop, had no idea of the extent of the operations on the Island and fell victim to the same trap as the others.

As for a tournament champ which district did you want, and that I will require back story.

If you had a reason to posses a pokedex when coming to the Island that is fine but the only trainer who was allowed to keep one was Floyd and that is for my own plot reasons. Just like Cass had the fedora and gloves.

Dreiki the only way I can think of that would nicely compromise what you are suggesting with the rules of the RP is that maybe you did suspect something, and maybe you did get to the island earlier than the others, but at some point you had to have been caught. Perhaps they kept you locked up until the day of the tournament, then gave you one of your pokemon back, restricted to four moves and tossed you out into the jungle. That way you can keep most of your story, except for being caught of course, while complying with the rules Astral put down. You could then discuss with her what additional information you might have of the workings behind the scenes, or what you learned before you got captured.

Astral might not be too thrilled with this unique entry, but she would get to keep you imprisoned for a time and subject you to all her sinister desires. This might entice her enough to go for it. ;)

Hmmmmm, perhaps there is a situation in which Itigus is left for dead, but miraculously survives?

Here are the possible routes I'm thinking of taking in terms of how I arrive:

1. Arrive to the island while having tracked suspicious shipments to it.
2. Arrive with everyone else, but having slipped away during commotion with other trainers. He has a Marowak with lightning rod, and an Arcanine with Flash Fire, so it's not too far fetched to say he could've possibly escaped into the jungles using Extremespeed, and his Marowak absorbing all electric based attacks.
3. Considering Itigus has fought against powerful crime syndicates before perhaps he was captured, and put on the island as a sort of hellish execution method. (This path would also possibly take away some of the material I have to work with depending on what time Itigus would be dropped off on the island. However, it does seem to be a viable option.)
4. Itigus arrives with everyone else, but as he tries to escape he is either captured or gravely injured.
5. Itigus flies to the island, and is struck down, only narrowly surviving (Perhaps his Marowak is able to force itself out of the ball, and absorb the second half of a lightning attack.)
6. Itigus arrives with everyone else, but does not comply with TR when they tell him to give them five of his Pokemon. At least, not fully.
With option 1 it would be easier to say that Itigus was able to avoid detection because the base was not completely set up at the time. Perhaps during his investigation, he is captured, and tortured. Through some means, or event Itigus manages to break free, and take one or two Pokemon with him.
With option 2 I could simply explain that Itigus had shown his ID only to quickly get on his arcanine and make an escape. With this I'd be able to write a story about his survival, and use of various Pokemon for evading the syndicate, and his reaction to certain events from the shadows.
Option 3 presents the possibility that Itigus can be dropped off at any point in the RP. For crime syndicates, it would not be enough to simply kill the person who goes against them. Considering Itigus doesn't really have friends or family, he could be dropped onto the island, and perhaps even forced to kill some of his own Pokemon. Perhaps the Pokemon had been infected with the virus, and Itigus would then have to kill the only things he ever allowed himself to become attached to.
Option 4 is generally the idea that Nygenn had. Perhaps TR even holds his Pokemon hostage and forces him to attack other trainers?
Option 5 is similar to option 2 in that I would be able to write about his survival, and the relationships between him and his Pokemon. Perhaps one of his Pokemon even creates a fake corpse out of a Substitute.
Option 6 With this option, Itigus releases five of his Pokemon, and hands them empty Pokeballs. This is discovered, but still gives Itigus's Pokemon enough time to escape. Itigus is then taken to some sort of prison. He is interrogated, and tortured. The Pokemon he released eventually rescue him, and then go their separate ways once more leaving his Mightyena to protect him. With such a diverse array of Pokemon on the island, Itigus's Pokemon would be able to more easily blend in. As a character, Itigus would do anything to make sure his Pokemon were safe. This also makes it so Itigus has only one Pokemon, and is therefore vulnerable. While his other Pokemon could still be working to find a way off the island, they could also be captured as well. Since the Mightyena is the only one still in its ball, the other Pokemon on Itigus's team could very well be used against him. However, since the Pokemon had the order to sabotage, and spy on TR this could be a double edged sword.

While I agree that my character should not be our lord and savior, I would like to advocate that he can make a difference. I want to be able to have Itigus have a hand in defeating Team Rocket without having to contrive it later on in the story. Itigus is a trainer who has seen the cruelty, and cunning of men, and always prepares himself for the worst. While his paranoia does keep him alive, and well it also blocks out a lot of relationships with other people. He has difficulty trusting others, and can easily be punished for attempting to do everything himself.
I plan to have Itigus be able to show his self sufficiency, but I also plan to have him learn that he needs to work with others at times when the problem is bigger than he is. Through all his planning and contingencies I want to establish the experience, and power he possesses. At the same time, I also want to establish that, even though he is formidable on his own, the enemy he faces is much greater. I want to show that he can only make a difference when he works with others, and that the only way he's going to do that is through loss, and development. While Itigus is a character that could survive on his own for a while he is still just as helpless as everyone else to change anything. His own flaws, and distrust of people will be points in which he can be punished, and grow as a character. I also think forcing a powerful character such as Itigus to bend to his knees would even further illustrate the threat of Team Rocket.
Then again, perhaps I am trying to become too powerful? I don't know, I personally like characters who are incredibly powerful, but tragically flawed at the same time. It's more interesting to see a powerful character break down, and rise up again than to see a weak character simply become stronger in my opinion.
Tell me your thoughts. I'm sure I'll be able to form a starter post after you all reply.

As stated in the rp under an entry for Lin in her inner thoughts she has been fighting TR for the past two months. So a few days before the tournament is not going to catch them unaware.

Second under no circumstances are you evading capture through any method nor are you starting with more than 1 pokemon on the Island. Now if you REALLY do want to be mean to your character. I will allow you to have to fight and kill the rest in your backstory for your survival and I will even give you a set up for it. Understand they will be dead and you are going to need to build a new team after this story if you continue on in this particular universe.

If you choose this option it will involve you coming to the Island at least a month before the tournament start and it will be very nasty and mentally scarring. Then you can join the Cass TR hate club, but I think she will still insist on being president.

I personally like characters who are incredibly powerful, but tragically flawed at the same time. It's more interesting to see a powerful character break down, and rise up again than to see a weak character simply become stronger in my opinion.
I actually share this opinion with you. I personally prefer the stories of exceptional characters, however, not so much when it comes to RP's with multiple players and characters.

You propose some interesting but ultimately useless scenarios here, because you haven't been listening closely enough I think.
How about you try this again, write some options but this time make sure that all of them include the following:
  • Itigus has to end up alone in the jungle.
  • Itigus has to end up with all his gear removed and reduced to the same simple black pants and shirt as everyone else.
  • Itigus has to end up with only 1 Pokémon and that Pokémon has to have a microchip implanted allowing it to use only 4 pre-selected moves.
Now I actually liked the suggestion you made that Itigus released his Pokémon rather than handing them over to Team Rocket. Very extreme and brutal, and I love it. But do realize that with them officially free they are subject to the virus, same as every other free Pokémon. This could lead to some very interesting encounters in the Jungle.

You also requested that your character's prowess and paranoia be acknowledged. Well he's going to end up captured no matter which route you choose, and be released in the jungle with, if he's lucky, one of his Pokémon. However, you might be able to work out something with Astral where Itigus managed to sabotage something before his capture, or perhaps he left something behind in his prison that could later help another character escape.

Well I'm certainly glad I made sure to show my ideas before truly posting. This is helpful information, and has definitely saved me, and possibly you guys too, a lot of hassle.

I am currently leaning towards Option 6. I also understand your sentiments with powerful characters in RPs where other players are involved. I believe the 6th option could show both Itigus's cunning, and his flaws at the same time. He would never in a million years guess the possibility of such a virus, and in an attempt to keep his Pokemon safe he has put them at risk. I think it would be fun to explore having Itigus fight against the ones he loves. Sort of like a person having to put down their dog because they were infected with rabies.

So here's my general idea:
Itigus releases his five Pokemon into the wild, and when the empty balls are discovered he, and his Mightyena attack, and cause a commotion so that his Pokemon can escape. Itigus's plan is to have his team blend in with the other wild Pokemon, and try to sabotage key areas on the island. Perhaps his Pokemon would even be able to convince other wild Pokemon to help. As this happens, Itigus is imprisoned, and put in a cell. He has his items seized, and undergoes various interrogation and torture. They release him as a test subject when the virus hits the island, and he is forced to survive with nothing but his Mightyena and wit for a large portion of time.
As he goes to find his Pokemon he makes the horrifying discovery that one of them has been turned, and he must put it down. Now, I'm not entirely certain if the virus effects every single wild Pokemon, or why it only effects wild Pokemon, so that information is key here. If it effects all wild Pokemon this would mean that Itigus's entire team is infected, and he must spend a good portion of the post hunting them down, and killing them. To Itigus, if his Pokemon have to be put down, he knows it should be by his hands. They are his responsibility, and his alone. Although, if this were the case then I have no idea how Itigus would ever find a new team as all wild Pokemon are infected, and there are no Pokeballs available to capture new ones. This brings me to the second scenario. Some of Itigus's Pokemon are infected, and must be put down, but he sees that there are some Pokemon not effected. This could act as a means in which Itigus communicates with other people. Considering his Pokemon are wild, and yet they are trained, they could help others, or perhaps forge relationships with trainers. Since Itigus himself is so distrusting of people, it could perhaps be his Pokemon working with others that help him cooperate. It could even lead to dramatic moments in which Itigus might blame another person for the death of one of his Pokemon. This would ultimately allow me to interact with other characters sooner, and can play a larger role in the overall plot down the line.
Meanwhile, my post would also focus on the relationship between Ajax and Itigus as they go through several harships over the events of the story. Always keeping themselves hidden, killing their friends who have turned, and remembering events together. Since Ajax was Itigus's first Pokemon it allows me to write flashbacks, and flesh out the backstory of the character. As for the nightmare scenes, a lot of them can be over the fact that Itigus might have to kill his Pokemon. He might need to cope with the fact that he put them in danger. Along the same lines, Ajax would be experiencing this with him.
Part of the challenge for me is probably going to be preventing Itigus from being an edgelord driven by revenge as well. Even though Itigus might feel loss, and anger, his Mightyena can help him take a step back, and think logically. I think the relationship between the two will help me prevent edgelord status.

Any thoughts? Suggestions? Is this fair? Is it not?

Any thoughts? Suggestions? Is this fair? Is it not?
You know, incidentally you would have had all of these questions answered already if you just opted to read the story so far. 8)
I actually, seriously, recommend doing so because it allows you to see what all the other players and their characters are doing, as well a get a solid idea of the role you are to play.

Besides, as is stated before, we're not just diving in individually and just see where things go. We're all working together to write a thrilling novel here and you'd do well to read the opening chapters before adding a new one. :\=|:

Additionally it will either motivate you that much more to be a part of this project, or dissuade you from join, in which case we all would rather have that before any posts are made instead of discovering afterwards that this story is not what you expected from it.

You know, incidentally you would have had all of these questions answered already if you just opted to read the story so far. 8)
I actually, seriously, recommend doing so because it allows you to see what all the other players and their characters are doing, as well a get a solid idea of the role you are to play.

Besides, as is stated before, we're not just diving in individually and just see where things go. We're all working together to write a thrilling novel here and you'd do well to read the opening chapters before adding a new one. :\=|:

Additionally it will either motivate you that much more to be a part of this project, or dissuade you from join, in which case we all would rather have that before any posts are made instead of discovering afterwards that this story is not what you expected from it.

Well, as I stated before I have been slowly reading through. Although, I haven't read everything, so I figured getting these questions answered now would allow me to start quicker. Since the questions I asked are only answered several pages in it seems. I personally like to multitask, and be able to read the story in between replying to new posts. This is also my way of trying to become invested in the story. I got to know you all more as people, and I learned what is required of me. Even with good stories I sometimes skip the first few chapters to get to the interesting portions, and then read the first chapters after. One example of this is when I read Boku no Hero Academia. I also can't tell you how long it took me to finally start watching HxH because I was turned off by the amount of episodes.
This is just how I tend to approach things when it comes to long stories. I like to get the main idea, and plot first, and read into the details later.

Well, as I stated before I have been slowly reading through. Although, I haven't read everything, so I figured getting these questions answered now would allow me to start quicker. Since the questions I asked are only answered several pages in it seems. I personally like to multitask, and be able to read the story in between replying to new posts. This is also my way of trying to become invested in the story. I got to know you all more as people, and I learned what is required of me. Even with good stories I sometimes skip the first few chapters to get to the interesting portions, and then read the first chapters after. One example of this is when I read Boku no Hero Academia. I also can't tell you how long it took me to finally start watching HxH because I was turned off by the amount of episodes.
This is just how I tend to approach things when it comes to long stories. I like to get the main idea, and plot first, and read into the details later.
That's all fine and dandy, but the major difference between those works and this one here is that with the former you're not participating so missing out on details only affects your own experience of the narrative. In the latter you could very well cause a lot of unintended friction simply by addressing things already covered, or doing things that shouldn't be done.

Also, the examples you mentioned, Boku no Hero Academia's strength lies not in it's captivating narrative, and the same goes for HxH. That's not to say Hunter x Hunter doesn't have a fun story to follow but you can easily just jump into any arc and enjoy the action for what it is. Sticking with Anime references, try doing that with quality shows like Steins;Gate, Soukyuu no Fafner, Zetsuen no Tempest, or even Bakemonogatari, and see how you'll fare.

That's all fine and dandy, but the major difference between those works and this one here is that with the former you're not participating so missing out on details only affects your own experience of the narrative. In the latter you could very well cause a lot of unintended friction simply by addressing things already covered, or doing things that shouldn't be done.

Also, the examples you mentioned, Boku no Hero Academia's strength lies not in it's captivating narrative, and the same goes for HxH. That's not to say Hunter x Hunter doesn't have a fun story to follow but you can easily just jump into any arc and enjoy the action for what it is. Sticking with Anime references, try doing that with quality shows like Steins;Gate, Soukyuu no Fafner, Zetsuen no Tempest, or even Bakemonogatari, and see how you'll fare.
I suppose I'll disagree with you there. Though, I suppose I'm still comparing apples to oranges. When it comes to animation I can always watch through the first episodes to the end. In this case, HxH is a good story with good characters, but a large amount of episodes. Therefore I found it comparable to this RP thread. When I began to read boku no hero, I skipped the first few chapters to see if it was even eventful or worth the read. With novels I tend to find audio books, and if I can't find any I skim through the first chapters to test the waters. I have ADHD, so it's one of the methods I use to focus. I am invested in the thread, and I'm slowly making it so I can read more and more at a time.