• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Your Worst Mistake Ever (in gaming)

Status
Not open for further replies.
First, this has to do with gaming. Probably my biggest mistake was *audience gasps in awe* I erased my SSB:M file! Luckily, I won everything (and even more) back. So in the end, it turned out for the best. And this time I created extra copies. :D

My 2nd mistake was buying Need for Speed: Hot pursuit. I dunno why I bought it...

My 3rd was... telling my uncle I liked *cough*Bionicle*cough*, so he bought me the game which deserves to be thrown in a bonfire. *chokes*

Now please tell me I'm crazy, and if this topic deserves to live.

-Beepo

It's a weird topic, but I'll tell you something dumb that I did.

Okay, I just started playing my Sapphire or whatever and I got to Roxanne's gym, and right before I went in, I saved.

Then I beat her, and helped the Devon Corp people, and did all the stuff I had to do. Then I got to Dewford Island and went to the Pokemon Center to get healed up before battling Brawley. Well, for some ODD reason, after I finished getting my Pokemon healed, I turned the game off. (I guess my brain thought that I was saving it).

I turned it back on and I was outsite Roxanne's gym. I was pissed. :p

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Beeps is getting paranoid. As long as you're not breaking any of the rules you have nothing to fear ;)

Whee... Just as I do many stupid things in real life I do just about the same amount in the world of gaming. A few off the top of my head:

1. When I bought Final Fantasy Anthology for the first time I had no space for it on my memory card, so I went in to delete something. Stupid me wasn't paying attention to what I was doing, though, and while I was admiring my 40 -hour FF8 save I accidently hit the wrong button and deleted it! I was at the end of the 2nd last disc dammit, and my levels were so freakin' high! ... On top of that, we ended up returning FF Anthology because the game was glitched (twice) *Slams forehead against desk*

2. I bought Kirby's Air Ride. 'Nuff said -.-;;

3. I bought Rayman Advance... -____-;;;;;

4. I let my little sister touch my Wavebird... more than once. It went "BOOM!" every single freakin' time... x.x

Well. This isn't stictly my worst mistake ever, for it didn't happen. But it almost did, had I not sat back and thought about it.

I wanted to play SSB:M one day, so I sat down and turned it on. When I did so, it said, "The file on your memory card is corrupted. Press A to format your memory card" or something similar.

I was so scared I almost hit A. But I didn't. I hit restart. Same thing. I turned it off this time, and on again. Same thing.

I almost gave up, but then I thought about it, pulled out my memory card, blew on it and the receptor slot, and then put it in again. Pressed on again....

And when the screen showed up, nothing (unusual) happened...I almost thought it WAS gone, but then I realized that couldn't have been so, for each time it creates a new file it says something about it on screen.

This was before I owned three memory cards...counting Box which doesn't really count.
So EVERYTHING I had was on that card....It still haunts me.

I wanted to see what would happen in Golden Sun is I refused to help save the world at Kraden's request. I saved right before he asked me...right over top of my other save file.

I was at Venus Lighthouse, playing through a second time before I played Golden Sun: The Lost Age. Guess what? I played a third time.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
I deleted my SSB:M save too... Thought it would be a good idea one day to start over - give me something to do.

BAD IDEA.

Bought Pocket Music for the GBA.

Waited to get Metroid Prime.

Restarted Ruby.

>_

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
Funnily enough, most of my stupid things in gaming also involve accidentally deleting saved games :shock:. There was a bug in some releases of the (grey) Playstation in Europe, whereby if you copied a save game from slot B to slot A, the file would just get deleted - on BOTH of the cards! That lost me quite a few saved games, not least of all because I couldn't get this piece of information into the heads of some of my friends... :? I was pleased to buy a PS2 simply to get rid of that bug!!

I am v annoyed with GameCube games that lock the saved file, preventing you from copying them (e.g. Pokemon Colosseum). I know I'm an idiot, so I like to have a backup just in case! Less annoying is the system that Zelda uses, where you can have three saved games within one save file. Because you can freely copy the saved games within that file, you can use a "grandfather, father, son" system of backups - so even if you completely screw up and/or copy the wrong saved game over, the worst case is you restart with one from a few hours ago. That helps.

I've also done the thing where I've thought I saved but actually didn't - this is particularly a problem with FR & LG, where successful and unsuccessful saving both return you to the menu - so if you're not looking at the screen during the actual save (e.g. trying to save because you've just got off the train and want to turn the GBA off), you don't know for certain if the game actually saved. That is highly annoying.

I bought this thing that gave ya a memory card, a games booklet and a joypad all for £30. Joypad broke within a day. then after 2 weeks the memory card had deleted a half completed ssbm, 80 emblems off of sonic adventure 2 battle, a completed star wars rogue squadron and this other game that involved monkeys. Then the games booklet slowly scratched away at all the games I put in there until they became un-usable

Prof. Cinders

Mathemagician
Staff member
Administrator
I let my brother on Yellow version... forgetting I had a mew on it. *slaps self* What made it worse was that I also had just about beaten the League... almost. I saved before the last battle, for friggin' out loud!

The next BIG mistake was buying Legend of Zelda: Windwaker. Worst graphics I have EVER seen, and my sister had been going on about it for weeks only to be disappointed. Luckily it was a special edition, so we both spend half our time on Ocarina of time instead. Lucky break!

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Worst graphics... ever? :shock:
*Looks around room at diehard Windwaker fans* Heheh... Guess you're one of the minority here, but meh. Each to their own ^^

I personally find Windwaker's graphics to be breath-taking; probably some of the most detailed graphics I've ever seen in a videogame before. Realistic, no. Detailed, yes - you can't deny it.

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
"Auriga said:
I bought this thing that gave ya a memory card"]

Yeah, I learnt some years ago never to trust third party memory cards, and not even to trust official ones :?. Hence my insane backup policy.

"Prof. Cinders said:
The next BIG mistake was buying Legend of Zelda: Windwaker. Worst graphics I have EVER seen"]

Hmm. I disagree.

I got my GameCube second-hand - silver with a "free" WindWaker special edition. I thought if I was going to play WindWaker I should play Ocarina of Time first, but I just couldn't do a thing with it. Sat through the utterly appalling tedious start of it, found I couldn't do anything and gave up.

It doesn't help that the PAL version is not only converted from N64 to GameCube, it's also poorly converted from NTSC to PAL. It looked completely washed out, the top and bottom of the picture were curved, and the colour would flicker in and out of existence. Compared to WindWaker, with its beautiful, bright, vibrant colours... I know what I prefer.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Windwaker was a piece of pure art... I don't see how anyone can't see that.

People complained long ago when they first saw the pics of Cel-shaded link. "OMGZ NO, THEY RUINED ZELDA!" They were all shut up the instant they saw the thing in action though.

It's magnificently detailed, it's wonderfully animated and the Cel-Shading is EASILY the best use of it ever. Compare it to the hideously garish Jet Set Radio and that's blindingly obvious.

It's not 00ber realistic, but since when did a game being realistic have to be necessary for it to be good? This IS afterall A POKEMON board. Pokemon is a complete fantasy world, the most unrealistic thing you could find.

If you want realism, go play with PS2 and X-box fan-boys who think that titties, blood and swearing are necessary factors to a game. If you want REAL gaming, with REAL effort put into them, stick with Nintendo with classics like Windwaker.

Ouch. Prof. Cinders just got owned. (I was going to say something about it myself, but I think the Prof's been hit hard enough. :wink: )

I was very disappointed when I found out that Zelda '05 was the sequel to The Wind Waker: I was very much looking forward to another toon-shaded Zelda game, The Wind Waker being my favourite of the whole series. Then again, this new game would look just as silly with toon-shaded graphics as The Wind Waker would look with these graphics. See for yourself. (The date they start taking pre-orders mentioned in the article should give you a hint as to what's weird about this.)

I've learned to trust Ninendo's judgment. I know they'll make an outstanding game no matter what my first impressions are. (Though my impressions were right with The Wind Waker!)

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
OMGZ YES!!!!

*PUTS NAME DOWN FOR PRE-ORDER NOW*

:-D.

What mag is that? Someone should tell them they're a few weeks early. ^^

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Err... Guys? Check the date. It says the orders start April 1st... April Fools day! :p

Maybe it's the real deal, but I'd be weary if I were you. Anything that sounds too good to be true set around that date probably is - especially if it's from EGM ^^

Raichu gets to eat a cookie! ^o^

Actually, Reggie Fils-Aime said in an interview during the Game Developpers Conference last week that they'd make a "super premium" edition of the game available to those who pre-order. I've already got mine pre-ordered, so all I've got to do is remove my order and re-place it when the offer gets underway; like Emerald.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I didn't even notice that Gary said "they're a few weeks early" ^^;

*Snatches cookie and chomps it down* Mmm.. Tangy. Better not have been poison flavored ;p

Btw - we're getting off topic ^^;
Try to keep everything else in the Zelda topic ;)

I know just how you guys feel about mistakes in gaming.

Once, I had just gotten a Sun Stone in Pokemon Pearl, went to the Pokemon Center and healed my pokemon. Then, I accidentally turned it off and when I turned it back on...THERE WAS NO SUN STONE! *bursts into anime-styled rainbow tears, then brightens up* But the good news is, I had my female oddish "Miyuki" in Pokemon Emerald hold the Sun Stone I got in Mossdeep City and added her to Pokemon Pearl...and saved!

Guess I learned a lesson; Always save your progress! I learned from my own mistake! ^_^

*sits next to Linkachu, takes a cookie and chomps down onto it happily* WAI!!! Oatmeal flavoured! *Chomps down at 600 mph*

Sem

The Last of the Snowmen
Former Administrator
Oh wow... this topic is from 2005. Grave digging? Yes, yes it is. Leave the dead in peace plzkthx. Warned.

Status
Not open for further replies.