• A reminder: If you want to ask an RP thread creator if you can join their RP, do so in private - via conversation or profile messages - or via the thread's discussion thread, if one exists. Do NOT ask if you can join an RP on the RP thread itself! This leads to a lot of unnecessary OOC chatter and that's not what the RP boards are for.

This is clearly stated in our RP forum rules. If you've not read them yet, do so BEFORE posting anything in the RP forums. They may be found here (for Pokémon Role Play) or here (for General Role Play). Remember that the Global Rules of Pokécharms also apply in addition to these rule sets.
  • Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Open Wild Mark: A Zodiac Powered Roleplay

Link to Discussion Thread

~ Prologue ~

Electra heard the demon's breath. It was laboring more than the last time. She entered the basement in total darkness, but for Electra, darkness was no longer an adversary. She kept her hand on the railing, descending swiftly into the cold, musty cell. The Burmese python around her neck tightened his grip, desperate to find a source of warmth.

"Now, now, my pet. We are nearly there." Electra stroked the serpent's scales as she whispered. The Burmese python calmed turning its beady black eyes toward the darkness.

In the center of the basement floor was a ring of salt. Within this ring, a being was bound in chains. It resembled a person except for its mass, red skin, and protruding tusklike fangs. This was the demon.

For a moment, Electra merely sat on the floor and listened to the sound of the demon breathing. It reminded her of gears grinding or cement blocks being pushed across a hardwood floor. The demon had two horns at the top of its forehead. Well, one and a half. The demon had refused to comply when Electra approached him on his turf, forcing Electra to take more drastic measures. Even with his head bowed, Electra could feel the demon's resentment, like a quiet flame waiting to spark a wildfire.

I know you are there. The demon spoke in a voice like rusty nails. Electra remained composed.

"I am surprised you can see me," she confessed.

Don't need to, the demon grunted. Your stench reeks of mortal flesh.

Electra pressed her lips firmly together. She was thankful the demon could not see the creases of her brow.

"Let us cut to the chase," she said. "You know why I am here."

To mock my suffering? The demon guessed. Electra could not tell whether his tone was sarcastic are not.

"You know my terms," she said. "I alone can end your suffering. All I ask in return is your name."

The demon spat at her feet.

Do you take me for a fool? He roared. By giving you my name, I'd be a prisoner even without these accursed chains.

Electra sighed. He was certainly making things difficult.

"Suit yourself."

Electra rose to her feet and headed towards the stairs.

Wait.

Her hand had scarcely touched the railing when the demon cried out.

Gerrik.

"What was that?" Electra fought to contain her triumph.

The demon made a sound like he was choking on something.

My name is Gerrik.

Electra smiled.

She snapped her fingers to end the enchantment. The chains binding the demon dissolved, and the ring of salt surrounding him vanished in a cloud of smoke. The demon fell to his knees panting.

"Gerrik." Electra let the word roll off of her tongue. It was delicious. "Gerrick. He who rules with a spear."

The demon grunted.

"Well, Gerrik, I appreciate you for joining our cause. Rest assured, you will receive the finest treatment."

Gerrik muttered something about a fancy dressed slave still being a slave.

Electra gritted her teeth. "I promise you, Gerrick, you won't be polishing anyone's silverware. Your task is gathering information."

"You know every shady spot in Jadewall." Electra continued, picking up her cape as she climbed the stairs. "I need someone who can crawl under every rock, get under the skin of every slime, low life, and crook. Someone who can walk through the Fires of Hell without getting burned."

What kind of information are you talking about?

"Intel," Electra answered. "I want to know exact where the Sages are taking the Wild Marked."

~ Chapter 1: Jadewall Academy ~

Seraph was sitting cross-legged on a straw mat. She was trying her best to relax, however, meditation did not come easy to her. The lavender scented candles Black Sage had lent her didn't help. If anything, they were giving Seraph a headache. Seraph closed her eyes and tried to ignore the prickling sensation going on under her skin.

She had only been at Jadewall Academy a month, but from day one, Seraph was determine to learn how to control her new found powers. So when her very human skin started sprouting metallic scales during training, her first thought was to consult the sages. They're advise: sit weird with your eyes closed and smell funny candles. She was probably being too critical of meditation. After all, it was proven to reduce stress and deal with mental anxiety. However, Seraph hated being alone with her thoughts.

Whenever she was scared or upset, Seraph's father had always been there for her. It killed her not being able to call him at the academy. Sometimes, she used the pay phone down in Jadewall, but for some reason, the academy itself had no reception. No contact with the outside world. The Sages were very strict about that. As the youngest member presently at the academy, Seraph was perhaps more effected by that rule than most. She knew many students were dealing with past trauma, so they were probably happy to be safely cut off from the world. Not that Seraph had asked them. In her experience, it was best not to reopen old wounds.

She opened one eye and looked around. How long had she been meditating. Four minutes? An hour? Just her luck, one of the other students would come by and she'd have to explain what she was doing. What was she going to say? Oh, I'm worried I might be turning into a snake demon so I'm trying to meditate to find out what's going on. Yeah, that would go over well.

Plop. Plop. Plop.

The Jadewall rain was incessant, showing no signs of halting anytime soon.

Plop. Plop. Plop.

You could argue that one downside of having sensitive hearing is the involuntary nature of it; you cannot simply pick and choose what to hear, as if meddling with settings on a device. No, the world chooses for you. Destiny chooses for you.

Now trudging through the splashes and sploshes of his own feet through the puddles, the raindrops assaulting him at every angle, Orpheus stopped in his tracks and gazed up to the same sky that was showing him no mercy.

He wondered; why exactly was there a general disdain for the rain? What is it that makes those gray skies and soft pitter-patter so detestable? I suppose it was no wonder his thoughts were drifting in this direction, for he very often wondered the same thing about himself.

I am the rain, He concluded, finding shelter underneath the awning of a long abandoned shop in an equally deserted alleyway.

I am the rain.

So why do I shelter from myself?

=Nightshade=

Previously Night's Shadow
“More.”

“I’ve told you, this is all I’m going to pay you.”

“Then you can die a slow, painful death.”

The small girl turned and began to walk out from the cover of the awning. As the first drops of rain began to cool her skin, she felt a hand on her shoulder, and through it, the desperation of the afflicted man behind her. But Gray could tell it wasn’t the wild kind of desperation that could drive a person to madly attack, or lose any regard for life, but the defeated kind of desperation that meant she had won. She turned slightly, and the man produced another handful of coins, which he slipped into the pouch of his payment so Gray could see.

“Now heal me,” he demanded, holding out the sack of coins. After a moment of hesitation, he added, “Please.”

Gray took the pouch and felt its weight, satisfied. She flexed her fingers, and the bag seemed to disappear. “Thank you,” she said diplomatically. “I’m sure my family needs it more than you do. But I digress.” With that, she snatched his wrist with one hand and turned it so the flesh of his forearm was exposed. Gray could feel the virus in him, and began to draw it out, drawing a thin red line down the man’s arm with a single claw of her other hand. He winced, but to his credit, didn’t make a sound.

Minutes later, the alley was empty again, the man free of disease and likely headed back to a comfortable middle-class home. As for Gray, her destination was a small huddle of makeshift shelters on the edge of town, where a community of society’s dregs made their home. This was how the young girl made her living, and the livings of those in her circle; disease was her trade, and if the right people fell ill, her profit. The pouch of coins hidden deep in her pocket was a reminder.

Perhaps this day, at least, no one would go hungry. It would be a nice change.

Rain. Blitz had heard the rumble of the clouds rolling in far before the first drops splashed on the grounds of Jade wall academy. At first the pitter patter was annoying but it didn't take him long to become accustomed with the sound, watching puddles beginning to form from the comfort of his dormitory room.

He disliked the rain, being out in it bothered him and he was very much an outdoor person. Boredom began to take a hold of him and he soon stirred from his position to wander and linger around the academy with his hands in his pockets. It wasn't a rare sight, Blitz had been a resident there for six years and his training from the Sages' was all but completed... in his opinion.

They'd still attempt to educate him, try to teach or lecture him but he'd grown tired of them. Their ways and attitudes were so bothersome and he was not afraid to tell them. He'd displayed his distaste in their opinions and orders before but they still put him with, as he also did with them. Blitz assumed he was still useful to them or necessary for something and as long as he didn't prove too difficult or try to leave without their permission they'd leave him alone.

For the most part he'd been correct but that led to questions. Why was he here? Why did they want him here as well as all these other powered peoples. He knew the answers were here which was why he stayed, he tried to snoop here and there but he was passive in his investigations really. Blitz didn't want to throw himself into anything to dangerous and was happy to take a more passive approach, waiting and observing to try and understand the Sages and the academy, it's purpose and goals.

Cronch

Seraph's concentration would be tested, the tell tale sound of a carrot being consumed crashing against her ears. Footsteps followed, light and steady until eventually a head poked around the corner, green eyes gazing at the cross legged lady. "Oh boy, they got you meditating then?"

Blitz's wanderings had been diverted by his stomach, leading him to find food in the form of a carrot he was currently munching on along with some hot sauce to dip it in. Then his nose had picked up a flowery but thick scent ... Lavender- but not the plant, they candles. Following the smell he'd eventually ended up poking his head through Seraph's doorway.

She'd probably seen him before, wandering or training or irritating a sage. He was very noticeable not only in his appearance but also his confident attitude that seeped into his movements. If they'd interacted before it would've been brief but friendly, Blitz knowing of the newbie regardless. Word got around the academy.

"How's it working for ya? Felt like a bunch of rubbish to me" He struck conversation, fully stepping into the door frame but not entering unless he was invited by the more newer arrival.

Seraph opened one eye and promptly rolled it. Blitz, of course. Twenty-three, Year of the Rabbit, with a hilarious appetite for carrots. Seraph had run into a few times. Mostly during training sessions, though she had once sat next to him during the shared meal at the end of the day. She swore the guy put hot sauce on anything. He would probably it on ice cream, if he had not already.

She snorted when Blitz called meditation rubbish.

"Yeah, it's not really working out for me either," she admitted. "But I got to do it, right? So I can channel my inner beast or whatever."

She gave Blitz a sheepish grin.

"You can come in if you like. It's kinda boring here. Just me and the candles."

Seraph returned to her normal sitting position. No awkward cross-crossness. Her legs were getting stiff from being in that position anyway.

"I think I might be allergic to these candles," she told Blitz, feeling the need to continue the conversation. "The Sages said incense were supposed to be calming. All they give me a migraine."

Meanwhile...

Electra was growing impatient. She bounced her leg on the concrete floor, her fingers were drumming.

"How long is this going to take?"

A short, crouching figure with snarled hair and long boney fingers glanced up at her. She stood above a simmering plot filled with strange smelling liquids and animal bones.

"Patience," the demoness whispered. "The scrying spell is nearly complete. All that remains is the last ingredient."

The demonic woman shuffled her way to the front of the pot. She plunged a leprous arm into her long sleeve and pulled out a blade. The python Electra wore around her neck flicked his tongue at the demon, determined to protect his master.

"
A drop of blood is all I require," the demoness assured the serpent. "I do not make a habit of killing my customers."

That was true. Electra was familiar with the demon's reputation. She made a point of running background checks on every being she had dealings with. Sithe, the demoness that stood before her, was a scryer by trade. By night, she feed on rats, stray pets, and lost children. All three were ingredients used commonly in her work. To say Electra distrusted the demoness was an understatement. However, Sithe never burned a connection.

Electra leaned her outstretched hand toward the dark-hearted witch. Sithe the Scryer took her blade and pricked the edge of one of Electra's fingers. A drop of scarlet blood ran out and fell into the pot.

"
It is done."

Electra couldn't help but notice the demoness licked her lips as she spoke. She watched the pot, waiting for any kind of change. Two red dots gradually emerged from the swill, and with them, the outline of a map. It was there for maybe fifteen seconds, then the image vanished.

"
Two are near," the scryer demon concluded. "I sensed more, but they are hidden. A cluster all in the same place."

The Academy.

"
What was that?"

"Nothing," Electra said quickly. "Thank you for your service."

"
You remembered my payment," the demoness asked hopefully, drool dripping from her vile mouth.

"Naturally." The pupils of Electra's eyes turned to slits. Their color, once gray, was now a cat-like yellow.

"Lilith. Ladon."

Twin snakes emerged from the shadows of the alley, followed by Gerrik the Spear Ruler.

"Follow these instructions," Electra told the serpents. "Seek out the Wild Marked."

Through her mind's eye, the snakes saw where they needed to go. They bowed, then departed. To Gerrik, Electra placed a hand on the demon's shoulder. She whispered into his right ear.

"Tend to the scryer."

She threw her cape around her shoulder and strutted off. She heard Gerrik's grunt, the shift in his weight, the blood curdling scream, then silence. Her pet python constricted at the sound of a thud, like a tree falling to the earth, then relaxed.

Electra sighed. "If there's one thing I do not abide," she told her pet, "it is a cannibal."

"Pftt yeah, don't listen to them" She was a year of the Snake though ... "Maybe listen to them- it's ... " His wrist rolled, Blitz trying to find the word he was looking for but ultimately failing and giving a shrug. For him it'd been a matter of connecting to the rabbit so that he could channel it. He'd failed at meditation but perhaps that was because rabbits were not restful or laxed creatures. The more he understood them, how they thought, how they worked and why the more he connected and the more he could channel.

Blitz still faced difficulties of course. Despite his friendly attitude he liked to be independent to a fault, that fault being the inability to summon a spirit animal to guide him.

He accepted her invite, crossing the threshold into the room and coming up to her side. Strong legs lowered Blitz into a crouch, one he stayed in with ease as he continued to snack and speak "I think there's just far too many, no wonder ya getting a headache it's suffocating in here?!" A grin spread across his face, the smile dropping as Blitz' dramatically tightened nostrils to block out as much of the fumes to spare his sensitive spell.

It wasn't really that bad he was just messing.

"I know I have my little feuds with them but they ain't stupid. Keep tryin' with the meditation maybe and if y'still aint feeling it tell em, they'll try something else- but 'til then" Blitz dropped from his crouch and onto his butt, folding fast and flexible legs before he'd even finished falling.

He flicked his arms out, facing his palms towards the ceiling and then closing his hands. All the candles in the room were snuffed out. "Let's try a different approach to meditation" Whilst it hadn't worked for him he still knew how to do it, him and Black Sage got along quite well- they were probably Blitz' least disliked Sage. Anyways, Blitz figured he'd help Seraph if she so wanted. "If ya want of course- It's still boring ol' meditation"

Last edited:
Seraph chuckled.

"Boring as it may be, yes," she said. "I would love some help."

She crossed her legs again, grateful that Blitz snuffed out the candles. Seraph wouldn't admit it, but she was fascinated by the sight of elemental magic. Even simple things, like turning out the light or refilling a drinking glass with the flick of the wrist captivated her. She tried not to look too impressed, not wanting to be seen as a dweeb.

Seraph took an exaggerated breath through the nose.

"I can breathe better already," she admitted, albeit half-joking. "Seriously, though. I want to get this right. I need to get this right."

It wasn't just about the pass. The sages were usually pretty good about letting her visit the city, just as long as somebody went with her. No, what Seraph was most concerned about was being able to control her powers. If all else failed, she would not know what to do.

=Nightshade=

The rats were beginning to gather. They could sense the turn of Gray’s hunger to anticipation, and shared in it, several of them darting deftly around and between her feet as she kept a brisk pace toward the market. An inexplicable mutual understanding of the other’s whereabouts kept any of the critters from being pinned underfoot without a conscious thought on Gray’s part. She wasn’t sure where the strange kinship had come from in her early childhood, but she welcomed the company, even now.

Gray emerged from the alley, dripping wet as the rodents scurrying around her steps but seemingly heedless of the chill. With any luck, some of the shops would be open in this weather and all the merchants would be miserable enough not to question a soaking street urchin with enough coin to buy a hefty dinner for three. Gray supposed it wouldn’t be quite as hefty spread between the six other homeless folk she lived with, but it would do well to silence the grumble of an empty stomach.

The young teen stopped just a few steps out of the alley. The rats were restless, she could sense it. Not the ever-present nerves of a small scavenger, but the anxiety of the hunted. Gray’s nose twitched. It was tough in the rain; she couldn’t pick up any signs of a silent predator, real or imagined.

Maybe it was just the wind.

“Good” Without the aid of the candles the room darkened, only the weak greyish blue light from outside piercing the window and illuminating the room. Blitz hadn’t commented on her desperation to succeed, felt like he couldn’t given that he’d once shared the same anxious drive. It needed to be set aside for this to work but he figured that he’d let her figure that out.

“With mediation some people try to disconnect from the world- I find it much, much easier when I try connect to it” A vague line but one he went to explain. “Close your eyes, lean into your other senses” Blitz too did as he said, his voice slowing and calming.

“A deep breath. Through the nostrils, out through the mouth, a steady relaxed pace. Take in smells, try breath them into every fibre of your being” Faint streams of smoke snaked upwards from the snuffed candles, mixing with the lavender in the air to make for a mellow smokey combination. A hint of fresh carrot could possibly be sniffed out depending on whether she had heightened smell.

“Listen…” His ears were more sensitive than hers but the rain could still be heard, water showering the outside walls and surfaces of the academy. The wind brushed up against the building too, pushing a spray of rain against the foundations now and again.

“And feel, hand flat on the ground, try reach push your palm to feel world” Blitz struggled with this one somewhat, not being able to pick up the vibrations to well but Seraph might.

~Jadewall, Lower City~

Rats!

Hundreds if not millions of rats filled the serpent's senses. The snake called Ladon flicked his tongue outward and inward, sniffing the air. Several rodents skittered as he passed Despite the urgings of his reptile brain, Ladon refused to hunt them. His master had given him a job to do.

The cool dampness of the rain slowed his pursuit. Nevertheless, his senses remained sharp. A flick of his tongue revealed more of the world to him than the eyes of most people: mouse droppings, rats, worms cigar smoke, and something...odd. It tasted like a rat: salty, a bit dirty, and uniquely pungent. However, the smell was unlike any rodent. It bore some similarities to his master. Perhaps, they were the same species. The snake pressed on.

After tireless searching, Ladon's reptilian eyes registered a new heat signature. It was much larger than a rat. The creature walked on two legs, and gave off that same undefinable smell. He squirmed out from his hiding place and raised his serpentine body into the air. Target acquired.

Meanwhile...

His mate Lilith was trailing someone else. This person had a unique taste and smell: savory, subdued, and subtle hints of pine. These sensations made Lilith feel somewhat melancholic, unusual, considering snakes were not privy to complex emotions. There was power in the smell or in the person who carried it.

~The Academy~

Seraph closed her eyes. She took in Blitz's instructions. His words ebbed and flowed like the rain. The rain. Seraph could not remember the last time she sat and listened to the rainfall.

She took deep slow breaths. The cascade of the rain mixed with the faint lavender smoke from the candles created some interesting sensations. It was like she was floating. Her body remained firmly on the ground, but her mind was in another sphere.

"Listen," Blitz said.

Seraph listened. The splatter of the rain. An occasional gust of wind.

“And feel, hand flat on the ground, try reach push your palm to feel world.”

Seraph did not hear that last part, but her hands seemed to know what to do. Her palms pressed against the straw mat, then moved onto the floor. They seemed to have a mind of their own. She could feel subtle vibrations, perhaps from the rain or from people at the academy walking around. Out of all of her abilities, Seraph found her sensitivity to vibrations the most intriguing. It was like the whole world was singing. Generating tiny sounds that had to be felt instead of heard. Her head swayed a little. There was something hypnotic about the rhythm, like when she attended the music festival back in Jadewall. That was the day she found out about her powers.

Come dance with us.

Seraph's ears perked up. "Did you say something, Blitz?"

Come dance with us.

There is was again. Someone was whispering, no. There was no sound, but she felt vibrations. Were the vibrations speaking to her?

Come, they sang. Come slither with us. Dance with us. Kill with us.

Who? Seraph thought furiously. Who are you?

"Ack!"

Seraph touched her forehead. It felt like it was on fire. An image was burning into her mind.

"No," she moaned. "Stay away."

She saw yellow eyes. A flash of light. Someone was screaming.

"Get out!" She yelled. "Leave me be."

Those evil remained fixed on her. Her skin was on pins and needles. Suddenly, a golden serpent tore the image apart.

Seraph opened her eyes. Her face felt clammy. She looked down at her hands and saw that the backs of them were covered in grey scales that were gradually disappearing. She looked toward Blitz and saw that a golden spirit-like serpent was floating in the space between them. It looked, yet did not, look at Seraph before disappearing in shower of light.

"What," Seraph panted. "happened?"

She knew only one thing. That spirit snake she had come faced to face with was her inner zodiac animal.

Plop. Plop. Pl-
What?

Orpheus' body rose in self-preservative instinct before his mind could follow. What's this? A deep, dark, almost otherworldly presence had disturbed the steady symphony of the Jadewall rain. It was sinister, as a predator hunting its...

Prey.

Oh no.

Still unsure of exactly what was about to transpire, every bone in Orpheus' weary body cried for escape. He obeyed nature's instructions, albeit hesitantly. With the hurried splashes and sploshes of the puddles beneath him, no match for the feet of one running for dear life, his mind raced with possibility.

The noise, now only growing louder, had evolved into something more - a slimy, spine-chilling slither. A slither. In all his time as a viator, Orpheus had heard brief whispers of a particular entity, wrapped in shadow and mystery, who reportedly used snakes and monsters to do their bidding.

Ahead, he narrowed his eyes through the raindrops and clenched his teeth in frustration. He was heading toward the slums on the edge of town, characterized by the colony of makeshift shelters, and often referred to as 'The Dregs' in allusion to the type of people who frequented such locations.

Glancing desperately from left to right, he disappointingly deduced there was no alternative route, before he peered down at his tired arms, his hands tucked tightly under them. With a deep, resigning sigh, he stopped in his tracks and turned around slowly.

If I am to come face-to-face with The Demon themselves, I shan't allow innocent... or perhaps not-so-innocent... lives to be at risk.

It was only a matter of time now. The sound, and the presence that it belonged to, was only drawing nearer.

He looked ahead, resolute, but with a twinge of relief in his visage.

It felt fitting that he would die in the rain.

"ROAR!" The enormous white tigress roared in anger and frustration as she attacked the bars of her cage. Luna was currently "training" to master her beastification, her animal form seemingly having a mind of its own. While she had more or less mastered partial beastification, Luna still struggled with the beast within for control. In her current state, she was little different from a passenger in her own body. This went on for at least another hour before Luna finally reverted to her human form, completely exhausted. While her beast form was indeed more powerful than her human form, it also consumed a great deal more energy to maintain. Hence her decision and preference to use partial beastification instead. Luna punched the ground in frustration, a small crater appearing where her fist impacted.
"Damnit!" Luna quietly swore to herself before letting herself out of the cage, her tail swinging in frustration while also maintaining her balance. It just felt natural to keep her tail, even if it likely looked weird to others. She then sighed to herself. "I'm never going to master beastification am I?"

~Jadewall City~

The snake's eyes locked onto Orpheus. Her body rose like a magic rope and hung their, facing her quarry eye-to-eye. Lilith had found the Wild Marked man, but hesitated to take action. She sent a signal to her master, awaiting instructions.

Meanwhile, Electra had received messages from both snakes. She had learned to translate vibrations into a type of morse code. In this way, she and her snakes communicated by feeling. Gerrik's advice about the scrying demon had proven sound. She now knew the locations of two Wild Marked, what's more, the serpent's had them in their sights.

Bring them to me, was her instruction. Soon, Lilith and Ladon were joined by several back-up snakes who waited for the moment to strike.

~The Academy~

Black Sage watched Luna's struggle in the cage. The tiger woman did not appear to notice their presence, not that the sage was surprised. Channeling one's inner beast could be an exhausting task, for some it required complete focus. So they were not at all concerned when they quietly slipped a bowl of broth soup near the cage along with an encouraging note and walked away. The other sages warned Black Sage not to get too emotionally invested in the students. Still, somethings couldn't be helped.

Cheekily Blitz peeled an eye open, feeling pride swell within him as he observed Seraph slip into the right headspace, connect to the world. He wondered what the procedure was to become a Sage- seemed as though he had some teaching talent within him. The ambitious idea wasn't serious at all, Blitz knowing that he lacked the knowledge and demeanour to become a Sage. On top of that the idea of such responsibility was not something he revelled in.

Plus he was certain his pride couldn't take it if he ever became one.

"Huh?" His ears mimicked hers, Blitz fulling opening his eyes and rising from his cross legged position into a crouch with the aid of his arms. He was very flexible, each limb could hold up body weight up whilst he moved and spun. "Hey ... hey, hey, hey" He gently spoke and tentatively hopped over, concern lacing his voice plastering his face as he tried to assess what was happening.

Someone was talking to her. He didn't hear anything, maybe through the ground. Blitz dropped his head to the floor, pressing an ear against to try pick up anything but to no avail. Her yell spurred him to act despite the little information he had but a shining serpent snaked into existence before he could do anything.

The spirit illuminated the room, Blitz looking up to it in a diluted awe. Fear was also present, but being his inner zodiac was a rabbit he was fairly familiar with fright. It no longer took over his senses or froze him solid, he could definitely stop it from appearing on his face.

"You ... summoned your animal" His gaze was still stuck to where it had appeared, the light lingering and slowly beginning to fade from the room. "But why? What happened- who was talking to you? How d-" Blitz's tone began to pick up in pace, more questioning threatening to spill out before he cut himself off.

Hands joined together in front of his mouth, a moment of self reflection made him realise that she was probably asking the same questions as him and there was another they needed to go too. "Black sage, c'mon" Springing onto his feet he offered a hand out to Seraph, clamping his eyes shut as he tried to listen out for the teacher. It was difficult, they often moved without sound and all he could hear was Luna trying to control her beastification.

Something which Black sage taught, with any luck they were watching. "Let's go"

=Nightshade=

The rats were on her, now, tiny claws scrabbling against Gray’s bare shins, leaving thin, bloody trails that the rain washed away as they clambered up her body. Their fear was palpable. The girl stopped walking again, knowing the weather wouldn’t be causing this kind of panic but unwilling to believe there was a real threat nearby. Once she stopped, the rats stopped their frantic climbing and began to circle her feet, and Gray felt certain they were trying to tell her something— but she could only make out the squeaks of frightened rodents.

Gray glanced around, then turned her feet away from the market. Whatever was following her, she hoped she could lose in the alleys. The rats parted like the Red Sea, allowing her a path as they ran alongside her brisk walk. And yet, the heavy, cloying fear only grew. It was primal, on the instinctual level, a predator that the rat had never quite been able to overcome; the fear formed a word, the first real word Gray had ever received from the swarm of rats. Snake!

It was then that she heard it. The rats could hear it too. The metallic sound of wet scales on stone. Gray glanced behind her, but wherever the reptile was, it was cloaked by rain. The girl turned, found a wall as familiar to her as the back of her hand, and began to scale it. The rats finally scattered into crevices and cracks, the terror of the threat close at hand overcoming their kinship with Gray. She didn’t blame them; if she was small enough, she would have followed.

As it stood now, she really hoped that particular snake couldn’t climb.

~The Academy~

Seraph let Blitz lead on without any complaint. Something told her that Blitz had the right idea to consult the sage. When they passed Luna in the cage, Seraph almost forgot what they came out for.

"Seems like an odd way to learn control," she muttered. "Crating oneself up like an animal."

Her mind got back on track when she spotted the note next to the soup bowl by Luna's cage.

"Black Sage was here," Seraph told Blitz. She had received a similar note along with the candles.

Hidden, but not far, the shadow dressed sage heard them coming. They were surprised to see Seraph retire from meditation so early, but even more surprised to see the pace she and Blitz were moving. Something was wrong. Out of the shadows, Black Sage emerged to cut Blitz and Seraph off.

"Where are you two off to in such a hurry?"

"To see you!" Seraph blurted. "It's--I think--"

She couldn't get the words out. Nevertheless, Black Sage appeared to have understood.

"This way," they said. Black Sage led Blitz and Seraph to their private meditation room. They pulled up a couple of extra cushions and sat down.

"Now," Black Sage said. "Tell me everything. Blitz, let's start with you." That was probably for the best considering Seraph was still a little flustered.

~Jadewall City~

Fact, snakes are incredible climbers. Also fact, they cannot scale a wall unless they have something to grab onto. Nevertheless, Ladon was undaunted. The snake looked for something to help him scale the wall, like a trashcan or a dumpster. This would slow his pursuit considerably, meaning the snake needed help.

Figuring the wrath of his master would be worse if he lost the Wild Marked entirely, Ladon threw caution to the wind and sent her a vibe. Electra received the message crystal clear. She sighed.

"Gerrik." She called the spear carrying demon, who seemed thoroughly displeased at being given another order.

"I have to pick up an asset," she told the demon. "You head to the south side. I believe that's where Lilith went. Find her, and bring whoever she's tailing back here. Do not. I repeat, do NOT kill them. Drag them back here if you have to, but if I learn that they have been harmed in anyway, well..."

She flexed her palm for emphasis.

I get the message.

"Good!"

Electra threw on her raincoat, careful not to get her pet python caught in the zipper. She marched out into the rain which was only starting to lighten up. Her heels clicked against the pavement. She only hoped that Ladon hadn't lost the Wild Marked before she got there.

Orpheus had never found snakes all that terrifying, that is, until today. This snake- well, snakes, if the multitude of other inbounding sounds and signals were anything to go off of - was horrifying to look at.

Perhaps it was its size? No ordinary snake should ever be able to tower over a man the way this one was. Interestingly enough, despite staring dead into the serpent's cold slits, it stood there, making no movements. If anything, it felt like it was observing Orpheus as a parent watches over their child; making sure they made no sudden movements until it was time to take them elsewhere.

Why? If the reinforcements were anything to go off of, whoever was after Orpheus, for whatever reason, wanted him alive.

For now, anyway.

"W-What do you desire from me?" Orpheus demanded, slightly shook but still determined. "As you can see, I have nothing of any value to take! Leave me be!"

He stole nervous glances at his hands, drawing them out slowly. They were cracked, and an unnatural shade of grey that was a stark contrast to the rest of his tanned complexion.

Even if you are but animals... I'd rather not stain this alley with more dust than there already is.

=Nightshade=

Gray slipped, and for one heart-stopping moment she hung by one hand before one foot found purchase, the rest of her limbs following suit. She hugged the wall for a few seconds, heart pounding. A glance below offered her first sight of the snake, soon to be snakes, plural, and another thrill of fear ran through her. The girl turned her face into the rain, blinking water from her lashes as one hand probed for a seam she knew was there. Her fingernails found the crack, and as her claws came out to solidify her grip, Gray began to haul herself upward. It took great effort for her not to check down at the snake’s progress, knowing it would only slow her down, but morbidly curious all the same.

The average garden snake or even the occasional rattler had only mildly unnerved Gray. Though she didn’t particularly like them, she could appreciate that they were only trying to survive. That didn’t stop her from kicking the venomless ones aside when she caught them making a play for one of her tiny brethren, but she was sure those small sins against snakekind had not garnered her this retribution. Gray couldn’t tell what kind of snake this was, but it was different, even from the rattlers which she steered clear of. Dark. Sinister. And absolutely horrendously terrifying in such a way that she was glad for the rain, because if she wet herself no one would be able to tell.

The top of the roof was close. The rain was letting up. Gray offered up a silent prayer to every god whose name she could remember off the top of her head that the rat would finally get a small triumph over the snake. One arm made it over the edge, and she struggled to find a grip on the slick flat surface to pull the rest of her up. She muttered several choice words she had been told were not particularly ladylike as she made the desperate attempt. Just a little further—!

Blitz was quiet when they came across Seraph, coming to a standstill by the cage and watching the large and regal feline rage behind the bars. He was familiar with this form of training. Even though Luna opted for privacy when she subjected herself to this Blitz would sometimes watch from afar, try to be there for her afterwards to offer food or lighten her mood.

"Think the cage is more for us than it is for her Seraph" The thought of the white tiger rampaging through the academy wasn't pleasant, Blitz taking a step back from the confined transformed Luna. Their presence was probably irritating the Tiger more and making Luna taking control much more difficult.

Black Sage's sudden appearance caused Blitz to jump, being so engrossed by Luna that he hadn't even noticed the teacher until he spoke. Seraph blurted out a response before he could, Blitz pausing for a moment as they were led away. "I'll find you in a bit aight Luna"

In the private meditation room Blitz was finding it difficult to settle. His contempt for the Sages was difficult to express when the more likeable one was sat before him, concerned and taking caring action for one of the Wild marked. Luna too was on his mind, he wanted to try be there for when she came out of the cage- which was now if he was hearing right. He'd go in a bit, he wanted to make sure Seraph was alright first.

"Right-" He started on his retelling of events. "I was tryin' to help with meditation, was going pretty aight and then she ..." A softened gaze travelled to the Wild marked beside, Blitz not really wanting to talk of her when she was right there. Felt a bit rude really. "She asked if I'd said anything- which I hadn't so someone or something was like talking to her through meditation- is that even possible?"

Blitz looked to the Sage for answers which he hoped they had. This was literally their field of expertise so surely they'd be able to say something on the matter.

Luna snarled at Seraph and Blitz as they walked by her cage before noticing the bowl and the note of encouragement. Reading it, she knew exactly who left it and she whispered. "Thank you Black Sage."
She then picked up the bowl, disregarding any eating utensils and without spilling a drop drank straight from the bowl. The broth warmed her body starting at her belly, reinvigorating her with new strength as she finished and placed the bowl back on the ground, wrapping her tail around herself. Taking a deep breath through her nose and with her eyes closed, Luna sat down in the cage with her open palms held above and facing the ground. As she sat there, her fingers spread out with her already black nails lengthening and thickening into obsidian tiger claws. If one looked closely, they would notice the various minerals appearing as grains of sand floating up and attaching to Luna's skin.

~Jadewall City~

Lilith regarded Orpheus with curiosity. She ordered the other snakes to remain back. This being clearly pulsated with power, yet it expressed no interest in attacking her. The snake's expression did not change when it she saw Orpheus's ash-like hands, not that it ever did. Even it the pit of fear, a serpent's face remained placid and serene. The trick was to read their eyes. Lilith's gaze and body language suggested a resolute pillar. Cold blooded she was, a monster she was not. Lilith would not strike unless threatened.

Speaking of monsters, the snake first became award of the demon by the sound of his footsteps. Dully, heavy thuds. The auxiliary snakes retreated into the shadows, fleeing at the sight of the massive beast. Only Lilith remained. Next, his scent reached the tip of her tongue. It traveled up through her nostrils: pungent, asphyxiating, and slightly metallic. She hissed, evidently displeased at the demon being in her presence.

"Shut up, serpent."

Gerrik spat at the ground and stared at Orpheus who was only a few feet away.

"You must be the one I was sent to fetch." Gerrik almost sounded bored. He leaned against the butt of his spear, the sharp end jutting into the ground.

"My lady requests an audience with you," Gerrik drawled. "You can either come willingly, or I can drag your carcass. Your choice."

Lilith's eyes narrowed. She didn't like Gerrik's tone.

Meanwhile...

Ladon froze as his his prey jumped. He lunged for one of Gray's ankles but it was too late. Gray was too far away and the rooftop was too high. The backup snakes thought quickly. They climbed over each other, stacking their bodies against the wall. It wasn't a bridge. It wasn't even a ladder, but it was something Ladon could climb up. He writhed his way to the top of the wall. Possible or not, he was determined to make the same jump as Gray had. His sleek black and red body picked up speed until...something made him stop.

The rest of the snakes backed down. Ladon turned his head and watched as the pale woman, dressed in midnight black and wearing a blood scarlet cape entered the alley. Electra sauntered to the wall, stood beneath the roof on which Gray sat, and looked off.

"That's an unusual place to get out of the rain," Electra called. "Or do you enjoy watching the sky fall and soaking your clothes?"

~The Academy~

Seraph gave Blitz a little smile, a sign that she was grateful to him for speaking, and for trying to explain things on his own.

"I saw something," Seraph explained, hoping to contribute to the sage's insight. "It felt like something was calling me."

She thought back to those eyes and shivered.

"Something...evil."

"What did they sound like?" Black Sage inquired. "These voices."

"I dunno. Kinda whispery, I guess."

"Was it one voice or many?"

Seraph tried to recall.

"Many," she said. "They all spoke in unison, and I saw a pair of eyes."

She did not mention the screaming.

"Impossible," Black Sage turned away and muttered. "It's impossible, and yet..."

Their voice trailed off. "S-Sage?"

"Thank you both for coming." Black Sage rose to their feet. "I will consult the other sages. Do not speak about this to anyone else. It would be unwise if rumors were to spread."

"Rumors of what?" Seraph demanded. "What happened to me?"

"I am not certain," Black Sage replied, "but I think it was a summoning spell."

Seraph's entire body went rigid.

=Nightshade=

Gray finally pulled herself onto the roof and slid backwards like a panicked crab as the snake — holy hell in a handbasket, it was relentless — slithered after her. The other snakes had made a strange pathway for the snake Gray had begun to think of as the leader to climb towards her. Although, now that she had a chance to catch her breath and gather her thoughts, Gray felt sure there had to be a more intelligent party pulling the strings. She was gathering herself to start running away, hoping the rain-slicked surface wouldn’t kill her jump to the next rooftop, when, lo and behold, a more intelligent party showed itself. Herself, to be more precise.

The strange woman held herself with the confidence of a queen — sure of her own power and ready to exercise her will. A queen’s haughtiness was not absent in the way she talked, or so Gray imagined. Gray crouched on the roof, like a frog, or perhaps a wary cat, as the caped woman addressed her. “What’s it to you?” she retorted through heaving breaths. Gray was proud that her voice was steady and didn’t betray her fear (though other factors may still tip off any observer). “Maybe I’m used to it. Maybe I like it.”

Electra laughed.

"True," she said. "After all, we've just met. Perhaps you find an exotic charm in being on a roof in the pouring rain."

She glanced up at the sky.

"It really does feel like flying. With the raindrops wiping past my face, I can imagine that I am soaring straight up into the clouds."

She tilted her head back down.

"Of course, a rooftop can be just as much a physical escape as a mental one. Forgive me, but I assumed you climbed up here because you were afraid of him."

She pointed to the serpent Ladon, then climbed up and sat on the wall.

"If so, I don't blame you. Reptiles can often appear cold and unpredictable."

Electra drummed her fingers against the top of the wall. Getting the message, the serpent slithered downward.

Just... what on earth was going on here? After a silent standoff between the snake, another party had entered the showdown; a being of huge mass, skin the shade of blood, and protruding fangs that seemed to beg for a serving of flesh to sink into. Orpheus prayed that he would not become their next meal.

His fears were justified, however, when the snakes that once had him surrounded now sunk back into the shadows from whence they came, likely at the behest of this new demon. Even what Orpheus had dubbed the 'Leader Snake' was visibly displeased at the beast's arrival.

The latter's first words were a threat, of course- it seemed that the infamous Demon of Jadewall, if Orpheus' deductions were found correct, sought an audience with him, and, should Orpheus find himself in a rebellious mood, the Beast so happily offered to carry his unconscious body there by force.

Our vagabond now began weighing up his options. It appeared clear to him now that he was wanted, for reasons still unknown, to the Demon (who had apparently been revealed as a lady, interestingly enough) and their objectives. Curious, isn't it? The only 'talent' Orpheus possessed, if it can truly be called that, was... well, if that was what the Demon desired, Orpheus also had to wonder what- or rather, who - the Demon desired the destruction of so badly.

Needless to say, resistance was also an option, no? Well, even if by some miracle Orpheus had been able to avoid being lodged on the end of the Beast's spear, and somehow get close enough to reduce him to dust, there was still the question of the army of snakes whose eyes he could feel pressing down on him at all angles.

Even though the snakes were clearly not happy with having to work with this rather blunt demon, they doubtless answered to the same superior, and so, would naturally not take kindly to the foiling of their master's plans.

Orpheus sighed, his body language drooping in resignation.

"Very well, demon. I surrender. I shall follow you to your 'Lady'." He announced in hushed tones, before his eyes narrowed sharply. "However, I will make it clear now; should services of the killing variety be demanded of me..."

He looked the demon dead in the eye, trying his best to fight off the tears welling in his own.

"...you'd be much better off ending my sorry existence here and now."

=Nightshade=

Gray crouched lower on the rooftop. This woman was oddly personable, and it was creeping the girl out. On the streets, the only time anyone was nice, most often the case was one had something the other wanted. Even Strings, the quiet, guitar-toting man who also found refuge with the Dregs, was only paid because his music was desired. The girl continued to watch the woman warily as she began to climb, every bit as deft as she had been. Never was anything offered for nothing, and when people this powerful acted this nice, usually what could be given was much more than one wanted to give.

Or maybe it was Gray’s instinctive fear of the snake talking, which she felt settle slightly as the woman, with a small gesture, seemed to instruct the reptile to fall back. Despite herself, Gray found herself relaxing a fraction, and hopped backwards a pace or two, trying to shake off the near-certain lapse of judgement. This woman was bad news… right? Ma had always taught her, “the family is the heart, and everything else is bad news”. But Gray didn’t have a family. No. The Dregs were family, a makeshift one, but family all the same.

Gray forced herself to look down at the snake, to remember her fear. Sleazy salesmen with useless products talked like this, too, to gain coin from anyone unsuspecting. But for some reason… this woman felt genuine. Which was even creepier, because in Gray’s experience, no one was. And yet… “Maybe I was afraid,” Gray cursed herself for admitting. She should run. Make a wild path so this woman can’t follow her back home. She kept talking. “In the shadows, the rat with the most fear runs fastest. Fear keeps everyone alive.” I should be running. “That’s how it goes, on the outside.”

Immediately he noticed the sort of questions that Black Sage was asking- he knew exactly what it meant and what had happened or at the very least had a good idea. Relief battled against the irritation within him, the negative emotion spiking the more Black Sage continued.

"Not yet?" Blitz shared a glance with Seraph, his eyes narrowing at the Sage as he placed a hand on Seraph's shoulder in an attempts to comfort her. He couldn't imagine how it felt for her. Had it happened to anyone else it would've been much better but Seraph had only been here for a few months. This was probably a lot for someone still training in their powers.

The order to stay quiet on the matter didn't sit well with Blitz, causing him to be sceptical of the supposed unsureness. "Well who casted it then?" There was a sharpness in his tone. "Isn't there a spell or something to track down this ... whatever?"

~Jadewall City~

The demon grunted. Gerrik did not ignore the runt's warning out of hubris, but out of indifference. At his age, the demon had been threatened with annihilation many times. Still, there was something about Orpheus that concerned him, much in the same way that Electra taking temporary control of his body concerned him. He sensed a connection between the two. How, he was not certain.

"Just keep your freakish hands where I can see them."

Gerrik gestured for Orpheus to walk in front of him. With the Remnant captured, Lilith and the remaining snakes led the way back to the hideout, an abandoned cement building crawling with demons, snakes, and monsters.

Meanwhile...

There was no doubt in Electra's mind that Gray was a Remnant. She referred to rats as if she shared a kinship with them. Electra understood.

"I am very accustomed to 'life on the outside'," she told the rat-child. "When you've lived the way I have, you make a lot of enemies. Oftentimes I have wondered whether I was cursed at birth."

She was well aware that Gray didn't trust her. While Electra could not remedy that, she hoped the girl's curiosity would cancel out her fear.

"In a way, I feel like the two of us are alike. We both have...gifts that set us apart from everyone else."

Electra demonstrated one of her gifts by conjuring a flame in the palm of her hand. The rain would not touch it. If anything, the fire seemed immune.

"Think about what I said."

Electra got off of the wall. She started walking back in the direction which she had come, when she called over her shoulder, "When you realize that the world you're living in does not want you..."

She tossed something onto the floor.

"...give me a call."

Electra walked off. The object which she had seemingly thrown away was a simple tarot card. It portrayed a childish figured dangling upside down from a tree. THE HANGED MAN. A card that symbolized decision making and accepting the consequences for one's actions.

~The Academy~

Black Sage sighed. Clearly, these young ones did not deserve to be sent off without some sort of explanations.

"Summoning spells vary widely in power and purpose. My guess is that this one was designed to summon beings to a specific location. Most likely for the purpose of controlling them."

They did not want to worry Blitz and Seraph with the more despicable possibilities.

"As for tracking the person who casted it. That is not easily done. Such a feat is often risky."

Black Sage looked from Seraph to Blitz, then back again. They tried to keep their expression neutral, not wanting to give away their suspicion.

"Go," they told both of them. "Attend to your studies. When I have consulted the other sages, I will find you."

Black Sage turned their back and strode out without another glance or word.

=Nightshade=

Gray listened in silence as the woman continued to talk. She didn’t make any sudden moves, or try to move closer to Gray, and the teen felt her guard lower a fraction more. She was still wary, but no longer outright hostile. The small girl watched the woman go, following her with her eyes until she was swallowed by the rain, the warmth of the curious flame at the forefront of her mind.

Once the strange woman was out of sight, and the rats no longer panicked by the proximity of serpents that had surely departed with their master, Gray peeked over the edge of the roof. The alley was empty once again, except for a small item on the slippery ground. The woman had dropped it. Gray carefully but quickly scaled down the wall, and took a closer look. It was thin and rectangular, some sort of card, and it took Gray a moment to realize she was looking at it upside-down. She lifted the wet card from the ground, taking in the funny man hanging by his foot, unnerved by his painted smile.

And yet, the girl clutched the card to her chest, a quick flick of her wrist sending it to rest beside her money bag.

Gray kept to the shadows on the way back to what passed as home for her. She couldn’t help but notice a downtrodden-looking pink-haired man being led by a dark figure, but she stayed out of sight. The last thing she needed was another odd encounter like the last that had shaken her carefully built sense of mistrust so easily. She’d planned to go to the market, but at this point, Gray thought she’d pass the money out between the others and let them buy their own food. Going to bed hungry for one more night wouldn’t be intolerable if it meant she could take some time to clear her head.

The tarot card felt heavier than the bag of coins, Gray thought.

Blitz was still unsatisfied. Information was being kept from them and he didn't care about the reason why. Transparency was something he'd highly valued, especially since he'd been fully open to the Sage's in the past- just for it not to be returned? Irritated he glanced over to Seraph, his features softening and his anger diluting.

He may of been ready for whatever dreadful answers awaited them but she wasn't. As much as he thirsted for answers and explanations he would condemn his friends.

Black Sage left, Blitz held his tongue and spoke no further.

A sigh finally escaped his mouth, his shoulders slouching as he rose to his feet and offered a hand out to Seraph. "Hey- Aint nothing your fault alright, We'll be in loop which is nice but there's no use worrying about it" He was partially telling himself that piece of advice, his mind raking over all the possibilities. Blitz needed a distraction.

"I'm gonna see Luna, you wanna come with?"

Void_Nugget

Previously Shadow_Pup
The heat was sweltering as Silas slaved over the stoves in the academy kitchen, he enjoyed cooking, the heat was a lot sometimes when he'd been at it for a while. He wiped his forehead and turned to grab something bumping his head on an overhead cupboard "every time" he muttered as he rubbed his head before turning off the stoves. He then plated up the food, most of it would be sent to the sages, those that weren't too busy would come and get their meals and the occasional student who actual bothered to would also eat as well, even though he was sure that some were sneaking out to get food elsewhere. He finished up and grabbed a coffee which he stood with drinking it slowly, he loved the kitchen after finishing, it was quiet and peaceful, no students complaining about issues and training or the sages complaining that the food wasn't quite right for them. He hummed to himself as he drank his coffee, he exited the kitchen into the cafeteria, where he sat down with a plate of food. He ate it slowly his big frame looking a little comical sat on the bench with his big hands holding the not so big cutlery "I swear I should really have ordered bigger cutlery like forever ago" he muttered as he ate.

~The Academy~

"Hmm?" Seraph had been tuning out. Like Blitz, she found Black Sage's obscurity upsetting. What little, the sage revealed seemed terrifying enough. A 'summoning spell'? It sounded more like possession to her.

She only became aware that Blitz was talking when he offered his hand.

"Oh! Thank you," Seraph said, allowing Blitz to help her up. "Sorry. It was just a lot to take in."

Blitz mentioned checking in on Luna.

"Sure," she said. "It sounds like a good idea."

Hopefully, the tiger-woman was having better luck than they were at the moment. Seraph followed Blitz to the cage where Luna had been training moments earlier.

Black Sage waisted no time gathering the other sages. White Sage and Red Sage agreed to come at once. Yellow Sage was disgruntled about having their self-defense class interrupted, but agreed to come provided that Black Sage got to the point. That only left Green Sage. Black Sage knew that the master of elements usually took a chamomile tea break in the cafeteria around this time. Hopefully, they would still be there.

When Black Sage got to the cafeteria, the only visible person there was Silas, a towering Risen Demon who just so happened to be Jadewall Academy's head cook. Black Sage cracked a smile as this simply enormous character, at least in comparison to the cutlery he was using. Black Sage made a mental note to order bigger knives and spoons before approaching the chef.

"Ehem," Black Sage cleared their throat. "Apologies for interrupting, but have you seen Green Sage? They are usually here around this time. I'm afraid it is very urgent."

~Electra's Hideout, Lower Jadewall~

Electra returned to the hideout on schedule. She took off her rain jacket and hung it up by the furnace. She set her pet python down on his perch, a collection of driftwood snarled into the shape of a spider's web.

"You're a good body guard," Electra told her companion, "but a poor scarf."

Her pet coiled his driftwood perch and seemingly went to sleep. With him taken care off, Electra set about drying off the rest of her clothes. A few minutes later, Lilith returned at the head of the pack.

"So Gerrik has returned with the Wild Marked. Good! We'll see if this one is also a Remnant."

Electra had just enough time to get changed. She put on a black undershirt and a red blazer to go with her formal black pants. Her shoes, a pair of red satin high heels remained. She waited in the main hall, where Gerrik and Orpheus would enter.

Last edited:
(@Charlotte Pryce really dig your use of locations to section your posts; I THINK I'M BOUT TO STEAL)

~Jadewall City~

One trick you learn very quickly on the streets of Jadewall - or streets of anywhere, really - is the importance of subterfuge and deception. Orpheus naturally disliked the subtle arts of misdirection, citing it as 'cowardly' and 'insincere'.

He soon found, however, that honor and morals did very little to keep you safe from the plenteous cutthroats, mercenaries, and other lovely folk that made up Jadewall's underground, reportedly having grown steadily in number ever since the defeat of Chaos all those years back.

"Self-preservation forgives men many things" Orpheus would likely reply in response to asking him about such matters, though he wouldn't be able to look you in the eye as he did so, for which we thank God.

Perhaps, the small shadowy figure Orpheus noticed of out of the corner of his eye had learned the same lessons, one way or another. It would definitely seem so, as they made such deft movements that they may have even escaped our resident drifter's eyesight, if he wasn't being aided by sensitive smell and hearing.

His instinct was to swing his head in their direction and get a better look at them - after all, he'd need to know if the Beast and Leader Snake were hiding an extra ally in case Orpheus suddenly had a (greater than usual) deathwish.

He decided against it quickly enough; after all, the silhouette was heading in the direction of The Dregs, meaning they were likely just another street rat gathering scraps or some such. Directing attention toward them would get them unnecessarily involved, or perhaps even worse.

Orpheus couldn't stomach the thought of a hungry family waiting at home for a member that would never return.

After a baffling series of twists and turns (Orpheus could've sworn they went round in a circle at least 4 times) the group narrowed upon an abandoned cement building reeking of the scents of demons, snakes, and monsters. He was perplexed that he had never happened upon this location before, despite how often he came by this part of town.

Now being led into what seemed to be the main hall, Orpheus came face to face with his captor; a woman of pale, almost muted complexion, framed by black hair, grey eyes peering into his soul. For fashion, the Demon styled a red blazer over a black undershirt, trailed by a pair of formal black trousers and red satin high heels that looked rather painful to wear, in all honesty.

Garments aside, Orpheus was hit with the strangest sense of Déjà vu as soon as he'd laid eyes on her. It was if they had met before, a strong sentiment of wistfulness washing over his body as he stood before her.

He felt his mouth start moving before his brain could keep up, stammering out sounds he didn't recognize, as if someone else inside Orpheus was trying to communicate, to say something of utmost importance. Shaking, he dropped to his knees and covered his mouth, revealing his cracked, ashy hands.

To say he was distressed would be a gross understatement.

Last edited:

"Leave us," Electra commanded the demon.

Gerrik grunted and shuffled off in his usual half-hearted manner. Unlike Electra, he did not seem at all disturbed by Orpheus's apparent fit.

Electra could only fathom what Orpheus must be feeling. As she moved closer to him, a familiar sensation creeped up her back. At best, it could be described as a mixture of familiarity, electricity, and mind numbing terror. Her reaction was barely unnoticeable when compared to Orpheus's. Perhaps, it was because she had experienced the sensation before.

"Breathe," she told Orpheus, not in a demanding way like she did her subjects, but in a nurse-like demeanor.

She knelt down next to Orpheus, brushing his hands away from his mouth. They looked like they had been through fire eight times. The sight of them sent shivers through Electra's core, and yet, she was also intrigued by their uniqueness.

"I apologize for my method of bringing you here," she told the Remnant. There was no question in her mind of what Orpheus was. "I hope Gerrik wasn't too rough on you. I told him to be civil."

Her words did not appear to be alleviate Orpheus's stress. Electra tried something else. She muttered a few words underneath her breath. A calming mantra. It was the only positive spell casting she new how to do.

"Better?"

The mutterings kept flowing out of Orpheus like a violent waterfall; he couldn't stop them. All he could do was close his eyes and wait-no, beg for it all to stop.

Before long, he felt the reminiscence of earlier grow to its apex. He slowly opened his eyes. The Beast and Snake from earlier were now nowhere to be found, he noted, though it was difficult to make that observation now that the Demon was mere inches away from him.

That said, her demeanor was anything but demonic; her words flowed smooth as a silk stream, calming his nerves.

Following her advice, he tried his best to seize back control of his breathing, to no avail. It truly felt as though another entity was trying to take over his entire being. Something insidious that had clearly been lurking in the shade, waiting for the most opportune time to pounce.

She even went so far as to apologize for the somewhat forceful approach of her subordinates! Either the Demon was truly an Angel in disguise, or, like most people, the kindness was a smokescreen for something else entirely. Orpheus would have thanked her for the consideration either way; were he not currently fighting for control of his body, that is.

Suddenly, the tension in his body began simmering ever so gradually, and soon enough, he repossessed control of his breathing once more, taking in large, relieved breaths. Looking up into visage of his captor now, he saw that she had muttered an enchantment or something similar of her own, which managed to lull whatever was raging inside his body.

He lowered his head in gratitude.

"Th... thank you. I-I don't know who- what that was." He managed between breaths. He noticed that his hands had been moved, but he could've sworn he never-

His eyes widened in panic, before narrowing in confusion.

"Wait. You- you touched my hands, did you not? You touched them and you're still in one piece!" He confirmed.

"You're not decaying! Just who exactly are you?" He queried, an inch of fear now creeping into his voice for the first time in a while, along with something else, an emotion he hadn't felt grace his heart for a long while - ease.

"Call me Electra." She gave the peach haired man a half-smile. "And I suppose you could say that I am a victim of circumstance, much like yourself."

She rose to her feet, giving Orpheus the space she thought he needed.

"If you're from around here, you probably know my reputation."

"The Demon of Jadewall." She snorted when she said that. "I guess when you keep company like mine you are bound to stir up rumors."

With a wave of her hand, she dismissed the serpents, notably Lilith who had been waiting in the wings.

"Like you, I am human, but I have, shall we say, unsettling qualities? No doubt you noticed my complexion."

Electra snapped her fingers, conjuring a bright red flame.

"I can talk to snakes, create fire, and..." She rolled up her right sleeve and plunged her arm straight into the fireball, leaving it their for a few moments before pulling it out again. "I cannot be burned."

She waltzed back to Orpheus and knelt down in front of him.

"You said you could make people decay by touching them? While I am grateful that it did not work on me, I had no idea. The only reason I can imagine I'm not falling to pieces before you is because you and I receive our powers from the same source. Have you ever experienced visions? Strange voices or nightmares that seem so real you're still sweating after waking up?"

Electra didn't want to overwhelm the stranger---she especially didn't want to sound like a public health ad---but she needed to know.

=Nightshade=

(quick note; y’all def don’t have to read all this, it’s just a lotta prose for fun and fleshing out, no real plot stuff here ^^)

The Dregs’ camp was all but deserted when Gray arrived, anyone who was there taking what shelter they could get from the rain in the tents. The rain was, luckily, clearing up a tad, as a few weak strips of sun cast glowing patches on the grimy ground. A cigarette butt flew through the air, and Gray could hear Rocker (called such for the fact that she was certainly off hers) muttering to herself over the softly melodic twang of Strings tuning his guitar.

No one here had a real identity. No one here had a name, or a home. They were what they were known as, the Dregs, simply wisps of smoke traveling on a wind that filled the sails of many luckier boats. Some had been born on the streets, others had found themselves there after a particularly cruel instance of fate, but whatever the case, they found respite here. Ma kept everyone from killing each other, and those who could garnered coin for the group, however legal or illegal their methods might be.

The barking of dogs alerted Gray to a presence behind her, and she turned to see a dark-haired boy a few inches shorter than her on the heels of three chihuahuas. The eight-year-old saw her, and grinned. “Gray! You’re back!”

Gray smiled wryly. “The hell are you doing out in the rain, Shadow?” she asked tiredly. She wasn’t in the mood for small talk, but the kid didn’t have anyone else close to his own age.

The chihuahuas kept yapping until Gray finally bent down to pet them. Shadow smiled proudly. “Alpha told me to walk his pack, since he didn’t want to go out in the rain,” he said matter-of-factly, using the typical affectionate slang associated with the eccentric dog owner. “Also, he was trying to take a nap and the dogs were buggin’ him.”

“Fair enough,” Gray conceded with a slight smile. After a second, she wiggled her fingers, then produced the money bag out of what looked like thin air, careful not to show the tarot card in her sleight-of-hand trick. “The sick guy was richer than expected, this time. Think you could handle passing that out so everyone can get a good dinner?” She hesitated. “I’m… not hungry.” A partial lie; mostly Gray just didn’t feel like eating.

Shadow shrugged and took the bag. “Yeah, sure. I’ll give Rocker’s share to Ma so she doesn’t spend it all on drugs or something. If Ma didn’t force her to eat every once in a while, she’d be skinnier than Toothpick!” He flashed a toothy grin and a salute before running off. The dogs followed, barking at his heels as he headed toward the tent Strings and Alpha shared.

Gray watched the boy go with his near-silent gait and boundless energy, and felt a little better. The world may not want her, but these people did.

The tarot card’s weightless load pressed on her heart.

Void_Nugget

Previously Shadow_Pup
As Black Sage entered the cafeteria Silas was just about finished with his food and glanced up to see him enter, "Hello Black Sage, hmm your right Green Sage is usually here, let me check my list" he said calmly as he reached into his pocket pulling out a piece of paper and scanning through it "ah here we are, Green Sage is currently in the Library, left me a note saying they'd be late for their meal cause they had some research they wanted to finish" he said showing the note to Black Sage, the big man then noticed a sense of tension in the air, "is everything alright Black Sage, anything an old man like me can help with?" he asked gently.
@Charlotte Pryce

DevVoid

Previously Deathstalker62
Somewhere in the past..

" So basically.. you got hired at a place you can't tell me about, to do.. what? Housework? "

A rather thin, stunning individual with two sets of curved horns and six spider-like eyes asked with notable befuddled tones to another horned creature, black feathers surroundings its wrists and ankles like arm- and leg guards, who stood tall over the woman they were conversing with. This one's name was Malphas, who was currently making conversation with Arachne, a fellow Risen whose biology was comparable to that of a Jorogumo, a type of spider demon.

" I wouldn't call it mere housework but.. that's about the gist of it, yes. "

Malphas had walked to the open window of the small abode the two were residing in while answering Arachne's question. He was about ready to leave, he simply had the spider demoness make a quick appearance in order to tell the others that he'll be gone for the foreseeable future, as he himself did not nor could not know for just how long he'd be away. A mere messenger, to deliver his goodbyes. Arachne simply sighed, two of her four arms crossed while the other two hung down at each side.

" You know, this sounds awfully like a trap. And you're completely sure you aren't just being reeled in like a fish? "

The feathered man transformed in front of her very eyes as he hopped up on the window, becoming a raven in just mere moments. His now corvid-formed head glanced one last time in Arachne's direction. She did have a point, to be fair. Can't tell anyone where he's going, just the very basics of what he was to perform.. it did sound like he was being set up. Then again, he could likely handle whatever danger there may be thrown his way..

" Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. There's only one way to find out, isn't there? Goodbye, Arachne. "

With a leap and an extension of his wings, the risen-formed-raven took off into the skies with several flaps, a massive flock of corvids quickly joining him on his way and disguising him as just another part of the formation. Like a mass migration before winter arrived, he flew as one with his servants to his new destination. Arachne looked after the swarm for some time before finally turning away and walking towards the doorframe, disappearing into the darkness of the unlit building.

' So long as you're not bringing your problems to us.. '

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Present Time, The Academy

How long has it been since such a memory had come grown to be archived in his mind? How long has it been since his arrival at this very place? Who knows? Well, the Sages probably do, but Malphas himself didn't really pay much attention to such small and minute details. All that mattered to him for the most part was doing what he was paid to do - keeping this place spick and span. Which, thanks to all his talents and abilities were a rather easy task.

Being capable of incinerating garbage, using his natural resistance against normal fire from his bending talent to clear out those that have grown too large, alongside using his rather large flock to both scour for every nook and cranny left untouched while simultaneously bringing over waste for him to burn made taking care of litter rather quick and easy handiwork.

Not to mention his control of the skies allowing him to rather easily maintain the blooming plants around the place, or simply making outdoor sweeping and cleaning moot by using light winds and drizzles to clear up most of the mess. And when the odd intruding insect or animal ended up wandering into the wrong area, nothing scared them off better than a quick spark, a swift gust or a swoop of one of his servants. Then again, his large group of corvid minions already kept most insects and smaller animals at bay, making such problems a rather rare encounter.

It was on this day where, like so many other days, the Risen had stood in the courtyard of the Academy, his servants sat up on all the different high surfaces around him while some were flying about the school, looking for any more trash or dirtied spots for him to clean. Though, he figured that while they were off looking, he could grab himself a bite to eat. And some dried beans for his flock too, of course.

And so, Malphas had begun making his way to the dining area of the kitchen, using his Raven form to quickly traverse the halls as a small pack of crows followed his every move. When the doors to the kitchen area of the academy opened up, it was Malphas who now had walked in, two crows on each shoulder, formed back in his human shape. Immediately, his eyes scanned the area, finding Silas already there, which was of no surprise to him and.. the Black Sage? Interesting.

" Evening, gents. What's the happenings? Something I or my friends could lend our aid with, perhaps? "

It seems the vagabond's suspicions were found correct; this was indeed the very same Demon of Jadewall, who, surprisingly, didn't seem all too proud of the moniker. As she continued explaining who she was, he couldn't help but express his reactions to some of her... talents.

Ghastly complexion aside, she explained her ability of being able to talk to snakes which explains the sheer amount of them present not only in Orpheus' welcoming committee, but also the large number of them he could smell, hear, and sense slithering around the hideout.

Her capacity to converse with serpents was nothing, Orpheus thought, in comparison to the other eerie power she displayed; being able to create flames and conversely, an inability to be burned.

He could only wonder how she'd managed to discover her powers. His own discovery of his powers was... another story for another time, he supposed.

She once again closed the distance between the two of them, kneeling down and asking Orpheus an array of questions. He blinked a few times before answering.

"Yes, I've had myriad visions and dreams- though I suppose nightmares are the more appropriate term for them." He began explaining. "At first they were too abstract, too symbolic for me to make any sense of. However, over time they've become more..."

He clenched his ashen hands into fists, lowering his head.

"...visceral. I surmise they're not merely hallucinations or fantasy. No- I suspect they're memories. Of what, I can only conjecture..."

He sighed, before looking back up at his captor's countenance once more. The feeling of familiarity only grew stronger as he did so.

"Pardon me, Demo- Electra." He hadn't imagined he'd be on a first name basis and communicating so politely with his captor, but his curiosity, and subtle kinship he felt with lady, overtook any anger, frustration, or fear that had been built up.

"You mentioned our... skills come from the same source." He started. "Exactly what source do you speak of? Is it for these reasons that you've sought me out?" He inquired.

Though he was still somewhat suspicious and on-edge, he felt that Electra was being sincere with him, for reasons he'd likely never be able to explain to ordinary folk like you and I.

Last edited:
"Yeah it is" Blitz always forgot how new Seraph was to all this. Despite only being here of couple of months she'd settled in tremendously well, Blitz personally felt like she'd been here for years. It said good things of her character, not that Blitz would share it at the moment. The only one allowed an inflated ego here was him and he didn't want to taint Seraph's polite and pure character with too many compliments.

"All we can do is wait" As they walked Blitz began to stretch, first his arms- high above his head. He'd roll his neck and hop as he flexed and stretched long legs. "Fortunately there's a really fun way to pass the time Luna" There was a cheekiness to his tone, a sly smirk coming across his face as he continued to limber up. "If she still has some juice left in her that is"

When they arrived at the cage Blitz cupped his hands over his mouth, calling out as he slowly span on the spot. "Yoohoo Luna?! How's my favourite sluggish tiger lady" He teased the fellow wild mark, listening out carefully for where she was as he tried to bait her into a spar. Blitz often did so, it was a little thing they did together.

"Two minutes, one hit you win- how about it?" Through it they both trained their powers and fighting prowess. Blitz practiced his speed and dodging whilst Luna either practised control in her beast form or her speed, accuracy and fighting style in her human form. He figured their little bout might cheer up Seraph. Either he finessed his way around the tiger lady in a dramatic and hilarious manner or she floored him in one shot- something even more hilarious.

@Draco Nightshade @Charlotte Pryce