• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Who do you think is a better Coordinator May or Dawn???

Who's the better Coordinator- May or Dawn?

• May

Votes: 26 65.0%
  • Dawn

Votes: 14 35.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
After the May VS Dawn ep in Japan there have been a lot of people talking about who is REALLY the better Coordinator- May or Dawn?

It's hard to say because May started out a long time before Dawn so comparing them fairly is a bit of a challenge...

I personally think May due to the fact her team has more variety then Dawn's. ;D
But Dawn got Ash's Ambipom so her team is very strong too and she nn longer has 2 Water-Types...

I dunno :) (that's why I'm asking you!)

After you vote please post and say why you voted for May or Dawn. ;) Thanks!!!

I say May, simply because she has been doing it longer, because if it was her Blaziken V.S Dawn's Piplup, Blaziken would be the winner. Though Dawn might be able to surpass May because Dawn has been wanting to be Coordinator for almost her whole life. On top of that she want's to live up to and surpass her mother, there for, her drive to be a great Coordinator might be stronger then May's, but then again, we'll have to wait until the future to see. But as of now, May is the better Coordinator.

I may have some unjust reasoning here, but I believe Dawn is a better coordinator.. I mean, you gotta be gorgeous ^_- And she is (plus I never liked May). And, I also agree with Curtkid, Dawn does have that willpower to live up to her mom's name. ^^

I have do say May. She never had pressure on her, because her mom or Norman never Coordinated. Dawn could do better, if she didn't have all the pressure to do well and/or just went with the flow, like May did.

I have do say May. She never had pressure on her, because her mom or Norman never Coordinated. Dawn could do better, if she didn't have all the pressure to do well and/or just went with the flow, like May did.

I do agree, one of the reasons I think May is better is because we know that she really wanted to be a Coordinator 100% because of her love for it. ;D

Dawn on the other hand may have simply started to be a Coordinator to be like her mom or to try to live up to her mom's reputation. I think that's why she's having a slump right now... (in the US episodes)

[attachment deleted by admin]

As far as who is better in the here now, it's gonna be May for me. It's for the simple fact that she has more experience at it than Dawn has. As far as who has more raw talent, I think they're about even. Don't get me wrong, I still like Dawn better as a character overall, (I only just stopped hating May) but I think it's cool how May made her decision to become a coordinator in the first place.

well may is kinda cuz she started longer but i feel dawn has more skill from wat shes learning and she seems to learn and adapt to make good styles

I think May is the better Coordinator. She started longer and she's got talent. Dawn just started out like she owned the whole entire thing because her mother won the league(whatever it is), so being ballsy in her start really didn't help her out alot. But she broke it at the Wallace cup, which I was surprise that she won and May didn't...

But I can't frickin choose what happens... Or can I...?

May is, and always will be better.
May had to work for what she got.
Dawn thought she deserved it.
She doesn't.

To be fair about this, I'd like to compare both of them in accordance to how they started out, up to the point in where they currently are.

May started out having no interest in Pokemon, However, when she saw and fell in love with Coordinating, you can see that even after that, she really didn't put much effort into her first contest, probably from underestimating the opposition, to stage fright or simply having little idea of what she should be doing.

Dawn however, started her journey with the firm intent of being a Coordinator. Albeit she wanted this mostly because of her inspiration from her Mom, but in any case, both of them were inspired to take up Coordinating. We can't really see how Dawn practiced for her first Contest, but in any case, she did have the enthusiasm amidst a wee bit of stage fright. She wasn't even afraid of the opposition going even further as to ask Ash to compete as well (Although that could be support or simply Dawn's want to fulfill Aipom's wish of being in a Contest.)

Ever since then, both have gone through a series of parrallelisms, both won their second contests, both experienced a state of arrogance at some point, went through some inner turmoil (although this mostly affected Dawn who suffered two losses in a row) before both coming to terms with themselves and finally competing and winning yet another contest.

From here on out, Dawn has yet to develop, and it is uncertain what will occur during the Celestic Convention. May however, proceeded to win some, and lose some, however she was able to look at her wins and losses with calmness and maturity. (at least as far as May goes.)

Having looked at both cases, I'd have to go with Dawn. I consider her strong in the sense that she was able to bounce back after her losses, but didn't go so far as to underestimate her future contest rivals like May did. It is notable that May has managed to defeat her rivals at some point, while Dawn has yet to defeat Zoey. But in her magnificent battle against Kenny and May, one can sense a stronger will from Dawn than I think May could ever express. It might have something to do with more emotional character development on Dawn's part, but one can really relate to Dawn's drive to win.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
May is, and always will be better.
May had to work for what she got.
Dawn thought she deserved it.
She doesn't.

Really? Seems to me that May mostly pulled off contests on dumb luck and haxing Squirtle/Eevee/Munchlax Power.

Honestly, people. "Who do you think is a better Coordinator May or Dawn???" is a fine question (Okay, it really isn't. Whoever the frell posted this topic shall be fed to Grammar Nazi Ninetales as soon as I find out who they are) but can you really ask it when you consider the fact that Dawn's character is still developing?

It's very easy to pick on the person who is still in the beginning of their career as opposed to someone who has more experience and whose character development has been mostly established. But, may I point out that D/P is still only... what, about halfway through the journey at this particular point?

What's more, there's a lot of off-screen training going on in D/P - at least, it's implied so a lot more than it was implied in AdvaGen - just who are you, ydoc777, to say Dawn ISN'T working for what she's getting - or rather, what she is GOING to get in the future?

In spite of all May's extra 'experience', her performance in the Wallace Cup REALLY wasn't that smashing. Hell. Even ASH did better in the appeals round (Onoes, Squirtle lost its pure hax power upon evolution!) and the fact that she lost (even by a small margin) to a relative rookie suggests that either she hasn't had time to come to terms with her Haxvee evolving into Glaceon and figure out appropriate strategies - OR she suffers from something that I like to call the 'Misty Effect'.

Which means, that when a character is no longer a main character, they will get a cameo appearance alongside the new main character, which somehow they'll be the BEST-FRIENDS-EVAR of even if there was no connection at all between which before, then somehow the old main character would be proven to be nearly useless as opposed to the new main character. You know, the king is dead, long live the king. That sort of thing.

I don't have a personal preference towards either, and I think it's way too early to say who is 'better'. Ask the question again in a couple of years when Dawn actually does something.

In the meantime, as far as official records go, Dawn won. May Lost. Think of that what you will.

Honestly, people. "Who do you think is a better Coordinator May or Dawn???" is a fine question (Okay, it really isn't. Whoever the frell posted this topic shall be fed to Grammar Nazi Ninetales as soon as I find out who they are) but can you really ask it when you consider the fact that Dawn's character is still developing?

Aww sorry you feel that way but you really don't have to say anything mean StellarWind Elsydeon :(... I don't respond/post mean messages- it's a Skitty (my own) personal no-no. And as for the name it's just how I talk ;D

I only want Dawn and May judged fairly as possible, like their attitudes about Contest, how they handle losses (oh yeah, for the last English ep Dawn LIED to Ash about a new combination :o- I really do doubt exactly how much "offscreen training" is going on...... And I don't want to)

Plus I really think this topic is finding each of the characters good and bad points and why Dawn is uniquely Dawn and May is uniquely May. :)
And also what you would prefer to change about them. For May, I'd want her to work more on the Appeal Stage and for Dawn I'd like her to learn how to deal with losing at what she loves so she can go get right back up again ;)

It's not like I hate either of em ^^

[attachment deleted by admin]

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Ah, you see, SuperSkitty, I am a forum administrator. And therefore I'm entitled to say whatever the frell I want, regardless of how 'mean' you think it is.

The Grammar Nazi Ninetales comment was fully directed at the topic title - The redundant extra question marks and the fact this all looks like a run-down sentence makes Grammar Nazi Ninetales say NEIN. "Who do you think is a better coordinator - May or Dawn?" would have been much better.

Also, "That's just how I talk" is not an excuse. Refer to the rules. We're trying to run in English, not personal-favorite-n00blish-of-your-choice.

Comprend

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
As far as I'm concerned it is.

Give me ONE good reason not to ban you.

... On second thought, don't. Because I couldn't care less.

P

Pokepok

Definitely May because she has better pokemon and has a lot of talent (much more then Dawn has)
And I like her presentation more

I have to say May mostly because she has stronger pokemon and way more experience. While Dawn has just started to become a coordinater, and who now's maybe one day Dawn will pwn May in a contest but will just have to wait and see...

Probably May for now, because she had a much smoother start as a coordinator. Dawn on the other hand hasn't been so lucky early in her career. And taking this from another view, try making a percentage of how many contests May won by the number she has entered, then do the same for Dawn. You would probably see that May has a better victory rate than Dawn. But that might change after Dawn competes in a couple more contests.

I'd say May. Maybe because she has alot more experience and her Blaziken PWNS!!! Also, she has a way better variety of moves at her disposal. Dawn just has sucky Piplup with her best move being bubblebeam. I mean really what nice combo can you do with a peck attack and a bubblebeam? xD

T

Turtwigz001

I think May is better because she has had much more experience than Dawn.

I prefer May for her outfit - it's just generally more appealing, with Dawn looking really... well, blueish and dull. And the bluey-blacky hair is a little weird.
On top of that, I prefer May's pkmn for their chemistry with mey - they just fit with her.
Dawn's pkmn are lower staged (although they will evolve eventually of course - although on that note the higher evo pkmn don't fit her, like Empoleon), and don't seem to fit HER as much - although they make great advertisements for the pkmn for the fanbase.

That's just my opinion.

Coordinator-wise, for now, it'll have to be May.

Status
Not open for further replies.