• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

What Pokemon, in your opinion, deserve a new evolution?

There are some non-evolving or two stage pokemon that I think would really benefit from evolving. A few examples are below...

Seviper
Zangoose
Sharpedo
Octillery
Tentacruel
Kingler

Do you have any pokemon that you think would have a cool new evolution, or would you prefer to introduce new pokemon rather than adding new variants? I personally am not a fan of pre-evolutions, but you can include those as well if you think it fits all too well.

In my opinion, non legendaries should always evolve at least once.

I think evolving unown would be much too strenuous and confusing. I don't even really consider them pokemon anymore, they are kind of just novelties to me.

How would you personally go about making unown evolutions? Standardized or a different evolution for each letter.

For me, altaria and houndoom go hand in hand, heaven and hell.

Seeing and evolution for both, I agree, would be nice. They are the type of pokemon that have intricate designs, so making a more complex version of them could be tricky.

I wouldn't do it for every legendary, simply because it will kind of throw off the balance a bit, if you get what I mean. In a pinch, it could be neat.

The problem would be, if they evolve with friendship or something, that if you want to use one in standard tier and it accidentally evolves when you're training it it will shift tiers and you will be bummed.

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
This thread hasn't been around that long, but it's already starting to seem like it's become more of a chat than a topic. It would be nice if you disccussed why you think certain Pokemon deserve Evolutions.

Dunesparce, in my opinion, deserves an Evolution, purely because I feel that he's been rather forgotton about. He has an awesome ability, and lots of great moves to suit that ability in his movepool, but sadly his stats are rather lacking. An evo would improve on what I feel is a very good base, and make an awesome Pokemon in the process.

Other than a couple like that, I'm not overly fond of the creators just adding evos, especially to Pokemon that really should just be left alone, such as Magmar. Magmar was perfectly fine.

Dunsparce has a special place in my heart as a perfect annoyer, supported, like you said, by his ability.

The problem evolving him would be with the possibility of overpowering him. Moves like zen headbut would flinch you the majority of the time, and higher stats could allow ice beams and thunderbolts to be absolutely devastating.

If pulled off correctly, I see a dunsparce evo making standard tier, and can you imagine how cool it would look?

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Yeah, turning a topic into your own private chatroom is considered SPAM, and that's against the rules...even if you are the topic creator.

Poison Type Prodigy and Shakespeare, you both get a big fat warning each for SPAM. Now, kindly read the rules.

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
Being the person I am, I would like to see more Eeveelutions. XD

But really, Eevee has enough evolutions as it is. I mean, 7? The original three was enough, but then they added 2 more in 2nd gen, then 2 more in 4th gen due to fandom, from I heard. I wouldn't be surprised if they add more in the next few generations, but really, this eeveelutiong thing is starting to run a bit dry in my opinion.

I could see some of the kinda cuter Pokemon getting evolutions as well, like Corsola, though I don't know how Plusle or Minun could evolve, unless they add a multiplication or division version of them, which would then be overkill.

Overall, though, I'll have to agree with Magpie. I mean, most Pokemon are fine as they are, without an evolution. *coughelectabuzzandmagmarcough*

I wouldn't mind seeing hypno evolve.

In the original games psychic was a powerful type and you were left with kadabra or hypno when it came to really effective psychic types. I chose hypno because abra was too elusive for me at the time, and he really was great. If it weren't for hypnosis, the elite four would have overwhelmed young me.

An evolution of hypno could not only expand on his rathe rlacking appearance but could also provide him with more strategies to use revolving around his sleep inducing tactics.

You know what two Pokemon really need evolutions, and I mean REALLY need evolutions? Dusparce and Quilfish. Because many Pokemon players (I'm one of them) constantly forget that they exist.

If Quilfish was given an evolution, it could become quite a good spiker in my opinion. They just need to make it a bit bulkier, it's speed is alright, and since it doesn't have enough powerful attacking moves, I think they should bulk up it's defences. It might even replace Bronzong as the most common lead, but that might be a stretch.

A Dunsparce with Serene Grace is already a bit of a force to be reckoned with (Glare plus Rock Slide equals pain) so with an evolution I think it could make it's way to the standard tier and probably tie in with Togeplane for the best para-flinch hax strategy.

I agree that Pokemon like Magmar, Electabuzz, and Rhydon shouldn't have evolved, but I like the lines a lot more because of it. I just don't think that they should add anymore to Pokemon that already have evolved. Too much of a gimmick.

I personally think that Pokemon that only got one evolution in the first Gen and haven't changed that status should get one. Like what was done with Tangela. I don't know how to pull it off, but Lapras might be eligible for this. So would Kangaskhan. Maybe a pre-vo for Kangaskhan though. Like the baby in it's pouch! It is really weird when it's hatched from an egg full grown and with a little Kangaskhan already in it.

They probably will make new evos to Gen II Pokemon like the mentioned Qwilfish. They did that for a lot of Gen I after the remakes of Red and Green. Just pointing out a connection.

I Think There Should Be Something Between Nosepass An Probopass,With A Developing 'Stache.Oh And Also Rhyperior Is OK If U Are Battling With It,But Not Against It.Magnezone Is Pretty Cool As Well.And Maybe Eartheon Or Spookeon,Two New Eeveelutions.

I definately agree Qwilfish needs an evolution, I'm actually quite a fan of the little guy, even using it in a UU team a few years ago, swift swim makes a brilliant ability to use destiny bond with.

Personally I'm a huge absol fan, if it got an evolution I'd probably bet it'd make standard tier, as its attack stat is already huge, give it a bit more speed and some better defences/HP and it'd kick more ass than it already has the potential to.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
I Think There Should Be Something Between Nosepass An Probopass,With A Developing 'Stache.Oh And Also Rhyperior Is OK If U Are Battling With It,But Not Against It.Magnezone Is Pretty Cool As Well.And Maybe Eartheon Or Spookeon,Two New Eeveelutions.

In what universe is capitalizing every fraggin' word in a sentence considered good grammar? Not this one, that's for sure.

Warned, read the rules and learn the basics of punctuation.

Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator
Overall, though, I'll have to agree with Magpie. I mean, most Pokemon are fine as they are, without an evolution. *coughelectabuzzandmagmarcough*

I'd disagree there. I really like how they gave Electabuzz and Magmar evolutions. It makes them much more useable, imo.

As far as pokemon that I think should have them, Pinsir, Corsola and Qwilfish top my lists. They're possibly the most shunned of the pokemon so far (as far as evolution goes. I mean come on, Scyther got Scizor, why can't Pinsir have like... Guillotinir or something?).

On the whole, I'm not altogether that bothered by other evolutions. There's none I'd particularly like to see, except maybe a Pegasus evolution for Rapidash.

In my opinion, I would love to see branch evolutions for the second-form starters. It would add a little more interest to the game, especially if they were painstakingly hard to do, like Level 67 with lowest happiness and a Moon Stone.

I don't think Seviper, Zangoose, Plusle, Or Minun need evelutions.
Basically any Pokemon that are pairs shouldn't have evolutions, unless they are very puny, like the case of the Nidorans.
I really think only two pokemon need prevolutions-Tropius and Lapras.
I can't imagine a Lapras or Tropius hatching from an egg. XD

Hmmmmm.
I am a bit biast towards as many evolutions as possible, because evolution's my fave thing about the games. But of the top of my head...
I hate how Gen III has soooo many new pokemon, but no evolutions of new ones. And there are so many ones which don't evolve...

I'll just do Gen I for now, then modify later with the others...

Gen I:

Farfetch'd: Pretty poinless pokemon, and is ideal for a part fighting or part grass type.

Pinsir: I always thought that Pinsir and Scyther always went togethr, so Pinsir should get a part steel or part ground evo.

Tauros: I think an interesting idea is that Tauros and Miltank's evolutions are completely different stat-wise to their pre-evos, so Tauros' evolution could be special-inclined, and be minotaury

About Pinsir, I always thought they dropped the ball by not making Heracross its evolved form. Scyther and Pinsir went together, and Scizor and Heracross go together. Not to mention the similar body designs. Really, this seems to make so much sense the fact that they didn't do it kind of boggles the mind.

Anyway I would say Dunsparce. It has the potential, the stats are just lacking. An evolution or two would really make it a great Pokemon to have.

Smeargle
We forgot Smeargle

Our beret-wearing artist has had no changes since his debut in Gen II, and has sunk deeply into the background. So something to add to his line, whether it's a master craftsman evolution or a crayon-drawing prevolution, would do him some good.

I could mention Luvdisc, but I have no clue how to add to its line, so I'll just leave the overgrown heart scale for now.

Smeargle
We forgot Smeargle

Our beret-wearing artist has had no changes since his debut in Gen II, and has sunk deeply into the background. So something to add to his line, whether it's a master craftsman evolution or a crayon-drawing prevolution, would do him some good.

I agree, Smeargle needs some more attention, and an evolution without such lackluster stats. Smeargle is versatile due to the fact that it is virtually capable of learning any move, but Smeargle's horrid stats make it practically useless.

Smeargle with better stats would cerainly be game-breaking.That thing can already be some threat if played out right ;/

the mighty Pinsir is already a nice pokemon stat/movepool-wise, it could use another element though. Dark/Bug maybe?
I dunno.

Kanghaskan pre Evolution. We even already have it, that thing it is carrying around!

and Luvdisc evolution should look like a pink machoke with a heart-head. Just because I would find it amusing!

Farfetchd and Kecleon would be my favourites for this topic. Both are not very well suited for online play and I am completly biased for Kecleon :D

Smeargle
We forgot Smeargle

I love that guy. Smeargle + Draco Meteor = Total Awesomeness.
His evo should also come with sketch, so he can learn one or two more Awesomesauce moves.

Anyways onto the topic, I'd love to see a Alternative Evo to Happiny & Togepi (I've always thought of these two familys as sort of the same), a rotten egg pokemon. The Happiny one can be a evil version of Chasney and Togepi's should be a rotten egg.