• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

What Do You Do In Your Free Time?

What I like to do in my free time? Well, I eat, sleep, watch TV, and play my Nintendo Ds. I eat ALOT. My parents get mad though because I am like so fat now, and I am like overweight for my age kind of. I like to sleep because I get bored. When I'm not doing that I watch TV. I usually watch TV while playing my PKMN Diamond. So, what do you do in your free time?

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
It's increasingly debatable whether running this place counts as 'spare time' when it's practically a part time job along with my Uni commitments (and sometimes can pay better than an actual part time job would... so can't completely complain), but aside from that I try to take a lot of my 'time off' (ie: not working on the site or on uni work specifically) to practice my design skills.

Typically, though, my life is generally absorbed by DVDs - specifically those of TV shows. I will generally always be watching one series or another on DVD and by now have a large enough library to have this last me pretty much in a permanant cycle.

Other than that, the usual - spending time with Rach, vidjagames and just bumming around online.

Probably five major thing that I do when I'm not at school, or athletics, or being an over-achiever in the family, or not on 'Charms.

1) Listen to music on iTunes, cause music is life to some people, me included.

2) Play video games

3) Read manga and watch anime

4) Do random stuffs on the Internet

5) Whatever my mood is and whatever I generally feel like doing. Usually varies. Like writing a chapter to a certain fic that I'm putting off right now.

Besides that, 'Charms and chat usually takes up most of my time. And I say usually since I haven't been on in a week. Reasons why, maybe I'll tell you in my spare time, after everything on the list is done.

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
1 ~ I tend to go through series phases, where I obsessively watch something through until it's end. At the moment it's Dragonball Z. I used to watch it way back when it was 'new' to Cartoon Network and something just reminded me how much I enjoyed it. So I'm watching it through *Tackle-glomps Vegeta*

2 ~ I sometimes do a little bit of volunteer work for the RSPB (Royal Society for the Protection of Birds). Nothing big, just stuff I can do in my area, like clean the local pond

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
In no particular order:

1. 3D Modeling work. I usually do this when I can muster the motivation to, although once I start I'm usually there for hours.

2. Video games. I have an Xbox 360, a Wii, a PSP and a DS to keep me occupied. Almost 900 hours got poured into my Pokemon Pearl cartridge, and I still somehow managed to get all my uni work in. That's a miracle in of itself.

3. Reading manga. I'm currently collecting the Negima and Bleach mangas at the moment.

4. Random internets. Usually juggled between Facebook, YouTube, and of course 'Charms.

Although I do several sports as well, they all tie in with uni so I don't consider them spare time activities.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Like other have said above, it's a bit of a no-brainer that a lot of my spare time is spent surfing/messing around with Pokecharms, hanging out in a few choice mIRC channels, or using MSN. Other than that... I shall list in no particular order. Bandwagon :D

1. I have a number of websites I visit on a regular basis, so each time I jump online I tend to surf through them one after another. This can take anywhere from 2 minutes to a couple of hours depending on site updates.

2. Similar to Alex, I spend a good portion of my free time zoning out to various DVDs series' or downloaded Anime. At any given time there's always something I'm watching through, whether it be a new series or one of my past favourites. Part of it is just to unwind and relax, but one major factor that initiates my TV time are meals. After living away from home and having a busy roommate it became habit to watch something while I ate - eating alone without some sort of distraction bores me to tears.

3. Like a good portion of people here, I'm a gamer. I've been a one nearly all my life, so playing video games in my spare time has always been a constant (the only varying factor being how long/frequently I'd play each week). At the moment, I tend to split my time between my Wii, 360, and DS, but occasionally dip into my PC and PSP collections. Would also be playing my PS2 as well if the thing wasn't still borked...

4. I love creative writing, so when an idea strikes me and I've got the time/means to do something with it I tend to spend several hours writing various fictional pieces/stories. Even if I'm bored/unfocused I'll often grab a pad of paper or open up a text window/program at random and start mindlessly writing things down just to empty my thoughts. I'm always thinking about some random story idea and incorporating life experiences into it, even if the piece stays locked eternally in my mind.

5. I too enjoy hanging out with friends and family. Family tends to wear me out after awhile, but friends are always a blast to hang with - even if all we're doing is talking. I'll talk on the phone with my best friends for hours if allowed to. We just lose track of time, lol.

6. Going for walks while zoning out to music is another thing I adore. It's like my perfect drug. I doubt there's single other factor in life that can put me at total peace as easily as this can. I've pondered deeply as to why it affects my mind the way it does, but I think most of it is simply the action of letting my mind relax/be absorbed by the music while walking and taking in the environment around me. Staring up at the sky, or off into the horizon... I'm an outdoors person at heart (love being surrounded by trees or near a body of water), and the element of music twisting my thoughts/emotions (because I let it do so) just takes things to new level entirely.

7. I daydream, a lot, and I enjoy it more than I can say. Sometimes I feel like my life is one big daydream, really, just because of how my mind works. As a runner-up to walking/music for putting my mind at peace, daydreaming would probably be it. Sometimes I find if I can't get time to myself to just sit/lie back and think I start going a bit insane, lol. I'm a "smell the roses" type of person and NEED my downtime to function, and this is probably the main reason why.

Err... I think that's mostly it beyond other random stuff like reading, playing with my dog, stargazing, etc. I love stargazing as much as taking walks, but I haven't had the chance to do much of it lately.

Hmm...what do I do?

I spend a lot of time on the internet (Facebook, chat, 'Charms, etc). Animal Crossing, Radiant Dawn, and Brawl now take of a lot of my time (too much if I let it). Reading is a big part of my life too. Hanging out with my friends and going to church are quite possibly two of my favorite things to do. And I can't forget writing. It occupies a pretty good bit of my time too.

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
Other than coming here and onto the chat for about 95% of my free time (eheheh...), I also play my piano for fun (trying to play the Bleach openings is a great way to pass the time, as you excersize your piano playing skills because the pieces are quite hard on the piano, as well as hearing your favorite musics many times over. XD). Occasionally I would open a book or watch TV, but as I've read all the english books in my house many times over due to boredom, and the TV is more often than not occupied by my parents or, when they're here, my grandparents... yeeeeeeeaaaaaaah. You get the point.

I also just lie in bed, listening to random musics on my mp3, or go on youtube and watch some random stuffs. Calling people used to be on my list of "what to do during freetime", but then I got in trouble for it, and the phone bills started rising, and economy's going waaaaaaay down... so I put that off. XD

EDIT: I also go on Facebook, as well as doodle random stuffs. And surf teh webs.

1)Play videogames
Over 6 Consoles, I play Kirby games, Mario games of all kind, Animal Crossing/City Folk, Naruto Clash of Ninja series games, Super Smash bros [brawl], and I think thats it. Oh yeah, and Pokemon games of course =D. The consoles are Gameboy Advance, (You have NO Idea how awesome Kirby and the Amazing mirror is =D) Nintendo DS, (Mine is in ragged condition) Super Nintendo (2), Nintendo Entertainment system, Gamecube, and Wii. *Takes a breath*

2)Watch Naruto and Pokemon (yeah, I need to branch. >>)

3)Read (More specifically, the Warriors series)

4)Draw random stuffs

5)Do junk on the internet

6)Hang around with you guys =D

C

Celadon

Well I like to read books, surf on the internet, read books, study, read books, draw random things, read books, watch Poke'mon and Yakitate! animes and then read more books...

Yes, I like to read books...XD

EDIT: Oh, I like to play pokemon games, too. How did I forget  that?
EDIT 2: And making sprites.

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
Most of the free time is spent online either on Charms, reading Manga, or doing research on what ever topic has my intrest at the moment. Aside from chillin' on the internet I also play videogames on my PS2 or 360, although regretable not as much as I did one or two years ago.

A year ago I would have also said spriting, but I lost intrest and stopped (another thing I wish I could get back into).

EDIT: I completely forgot this because it's winter, but when it's warm I go for walks for hours at a time or chill on my roof.

Like Monkey, I'm on Charms, reading or training with my bokken. I also rage some 'box,(Xbox 360) and like to write haiku's and talking to that random girl that I got her number from. ^^

Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator
It's funny, I don't have a lot of free time, so I spend most of mine just smoking or sleeping. With college as it is, I have too much work so Sunday-Thursday I don't have the time to do anything, really. If I'm lucky, I get an hour or two to myself a day to just chill. Drink coffee. Watch some TV.

Even when I'm in the chat I'm usually doing work.

Basically, my free time is divided by these things:Sleeping, on the internet, chaining, listening to music. I listen to music while I chain, and I spend the majority of my day chaining. If I'm not chaining, I'm either sleeping or eating. Even when I'm on Charms and in chat I'm chaining. I enjoy reading a good book when I have one, and if the book holds my attention I spend the majority of my time doing that as well.

In the summer though, I tan a lot, so much that it should be illegal. But my mom always wants me to tan for some reason, and in the summer I guess I'm not on the internet as much or chaining. >>" I do love spending time with my friends when I can, but the majority of them are guys, so I only get to spend time with them at school since my parents don't like me hanging with guys unless it's my boyfriend and every other girl friend I have is off doing something else..x.x I do enjoy long walks around my neighborhood and practically anywhere I go. I love nature, especially at night because of the stars.

Buh... stuff here. *Pulled a bandwagon*
But I also like to draw. ...Although it's mostly when I'm trying to stay awake during class, I think I should put it here. I draw a lot. And a lot of spriting/sig making, but since the basement with the computer that has GIMP on it is being remolded, all this crap is blocking the way to it and it's a hassle to get my parents to turn it on so I can do stuff on it. So that hasn't been happening lately... but I've been reading and watching TV more. And yeah. I'll edit this if I think of anything...

I am a random person.

1. Play Call of Duty 4 (Not as much as I used to, got tired of it)

2. Hike and explore the valley behind my house. I'm from Connecticut so the terrain is dense and unrelenting.

3. Watch TV such as Simpsons, Family Guy, South Park, and Futurama

4. Post in this forum

In no real order:

Anime and television - I usually cram in at least a tv show and an anime per day. I follow a few different shows, like house, lost, battlestar galactica... and I watch whatever anime that I stumble upon that sounds interesting - currently Macross Frontier.

Games - Mostly PC gaming, and usually FPS.. though I do play pretty much every genre. Used to be a massive adventure gamer, but I guess that's sorta died down sonce the genre died. Been hooked on BF2 recently - awesome game.

Drawing - Photoshop is my best friend - I usually get an urge to draw something every other week and about 50% of the time I actually complete the drawing. Then I go overboard, try to make a manga, turn the fun into work, and quit.

Writing - Haven't done this in nearly a year, but when I get into the flow of writing I really like it, so it makes the list. Currently have a few novels on hold.

Mountain Biking - Ah! The adrenaline, the dirt, the sweat, the blood! Wouldn't be the same without it. And I have a great trail just about a mile from my house, so that's a plus ^^

Internet - I spend waay too much time online and it's all StumbleUpon's fault. stupid little button ^^