• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

What did you play this summer?

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Alternatively, if you work year 'round or live in an area where summer vacation doesn't apply, what games have you played throughout the last two months or so? Can be games you properly beat, ones you're still playing through, stuff you played with friends, or random games you played for a few hours at a time but not much more.

I'd say I've been fairly productive this summer considering how many games I own and have never played before. At the beginning of July I started and beat Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones, then picked up my incomplete copy of Chrono Trigger DS again and beat it as well. After that I revisited Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions and finally finished it off, and now I'm playing through Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII. From mid July on I've also been working away at Rune Factory Frontier, because it's an open-ended game with tons of stuff to do. I'm about 40+ hours into it already but don't expect to beat it anytime soon.

More sporadic, but notable, mentions would be SSBB, Mario Kart Wii, and WiiSports Resort (which I ended up getting my little sister's hooked on. They played those three more than me), NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams and Mega Man X Collection (both of which I bought used for $5), Sega Genesis Collection (for PSP - another I found really cheap), Mario VS Donkey Kong: Minis March Again! and Doctor Mario Express (DSiWare games), Guitar Hero 3, Sonic Unleashed, Beautiful Katamari (on 360), and Pokemon XD.

Pretty sure that's all I've played this summer for at least a few hours at a time... Anything else would've just been quick pick-up-and-plays that didn't leave a lasting impression. Good times.

BTW - While it's not mandatory (especially for people with big played lists), feel free to focus on certain games you played and explain what it was you liked about 'em, what you disliked, why you stuck with the game(s), etc.

My first few weeks of Summer Holidays was spent in hospital, as most of you should know. However, most of that was spent gaming ^^

Most of what I played in there was N. Its free to download to your PC, and I highly recommend it. You can also download a much more powerful and updated version called N+ for your 360, and I believe you can download another version of N for your DS/PSP as well. The basic concept is to unlock a door to the next level, using your ninja like skills to collect gold and dodge enemies and obstacles that will obliterate your body until it doesn't exist. Really addictive and really fun :)

Asides that, it was mostly the usual for me. Bit of Platinum here and there, a lot of Age of Empires 3, a lot of Movie Battles 2 (A mod for Jedi Academy, changing the gameplay in a manner which I quite enjoy).

Console games? Mostly just for fun here and there with friends, including Halo 3, Dead or Alive 4, SSBB...

Let's see, I played Pokemon Battle Revolution on Wi-Fi Battles, Super Smash Bros Brawl, both with a friend and on Wi-Fi, Pokemon Platinum, and beat Cynthia in the game, connected over Wi-Fi and got a Japanese Rotom over GTS, Pokemon Diamond, not over Wi-Fi, Mario Supper Sluggers, and a little Tap Tap Revenge 2 on my iPod; It was mostly Platinum, though.

Other than that, just lsitened to music.

I didn't really run out and get any new games this summer.
I have managed to spend a large amount of time on Platinum.
The other thing I did was find a number of ROMs online and played some older games. Megaman & Bass is ridiculously hard. I think I've managed to beat maybe 2 levels.

Also, with the news of a new Golden Sun game at E3, I decided to replay both of the old ones to remind myself of the plot. Not quite done with The Lost Age, but seeing as I just took out Dulahann in a few hits, I feel that the Doom Dragon probably won't be much of an issue.

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
To prepare for Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days I restarted KH2, although that was more of a continuation of last summer where I restarted KH1 to get ready for KH Re:CoM.

Aside from my KH fanboyism, I've also been playing Pokemon Pearl which hasn't been as productive as I would have liked simply because I don't play games as much as I did two years ago.

With my friends I've been playing Soul Calibur IV and we even got out the old N64 for Mario Kart, Golden Eye, Original Smash Bros, and Pokemon Stadium.

This summer I've mostly been playing games like Left 4 Dead and Nazi Zombies with friends. I'm just a huge fan of Valve and Left 4 Dead is a great play for any occasion where you feel like killing a few hours (and, of course, zombies) and the same can be said for Nazi Zombies, except for the Valve part.

By myself, I've been replaying some of the older RPGs that I missed so much like FFIV and Chrono Trigger (the PSone version, I haven't gotten around to buying the DS version >>; ) and a game that took up about a week or two of the summer and one of my personal new favorites Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor along with quite a few hours of KH2 and Prototype.

Well, mostly been Wii sports Resort and Pokemon Platinum. Also, at the start of my holidays I decided to have a reboot of Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Darkness. I have decided to purchase Pokemon Battle Revolution after playing it a bit at various places.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
... Chrono Trigger (the PSone version, I haven't gotten around to buying the DS version >>; )

Not sure if money is the issue, but if not - do yourself a favour and buy the DS version.

The DS version is the best of both worlds. You have the super quick load times from the SNES game, and all of the animated videos from the Playstation version. Adding to that are the various new features from the DS version - many of which that aren't overly spectacular (although you might like them more than I did), but a few that are definitely worth checking out. It's a very nice little package and one I highly recommend :)

That said... I'm biased because I loathed the Playstation Chrono Trigger for its load times. They're ungodly and made me want to stab things. Not even the FMVs could save that version for me XP

I beat Pokemon Platinum, Fire Emblem PoR (like my fifth time),and Pokemon Gold. I just love hearing the Johto music. I also beat a couple Metal Gear games, and am forcing myself to beat Pokemon XD, so i can have a Lugia with my Ho-oh in Platinum. I've had more game addicting summers. :p

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
I've played and beaten Max Payne and Max Payne 2 in the last few days, as well as playing a lot of Oblivion, Bioshock, and Anno 1404, all of which are fantastic games. As well as that, I've finally started playing Red Steel properly, as well as many other games that I can't think of to name right now XD

Not sure if money is the issue, but if not - do yourself a favour and buy the DS version.

It's not so much that I don't have the money, it's that I'm saving money for when Dissidia comes out at this point because I'm too much of a FF fanboy XP

But I've heard good things about the DS Chrono Trigger, so I'll probably pick it up at some point in the near future. Thank you for the suggestion ^^

And just so I don't butcher the point of this thread, I recently began playing through The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on the Dark Athena because the Riddick games are the only movie based video games that I've ever enjoyed, if only for the reason that Riddick is a badass, and Pitch Black is one of my favorite movies XD

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Let's see. Right now the main game I'm playing is Devil Kings (aka Sengoku Basara) for the Playstation 2. Not my type of game normally but i find it oddly fun. I replayed Phantasy Star 2 the other day (and found the only character named Amy I ever liked >>) and I've been occasionally attacking old Genesis and or Sega Master System titles just for the fuck of it.

Basara seems to consume most of my gaming time though. I lieks it.

Well, at one point over the summer, I played Kingdom Hearts 2...which I play religiously each and every summer. I also am working on Jak and Daxter and Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg, currently.

I really didn't get to play much this summer/early fall simply because of the rush of moving in to college. I did however replay The World Ends With You, which is simply one of my favorite games. Pokemon Platinum found itself in my DS card slot a good percent of the time as well. My most recent game addiction is Shin Megami Tensei Devil Survivor. Man, that game is fun. Not to mention I started playing .hack//Infection again, even though it's around 5 years old or so.

I played The Sims 2 a lot for the first two months of vacation, but then I got my DS and bought Pokemon Platinum. It was the first time that I got back into Pokemon after not playing the franchise previously since Pokemon Red, so it took a while to get used to.
I eventually beat the game a month later, and I most recently beat it once more.
So yeah, that's my summer ^_^

I played World of Warcraft all summer and also played Bioshock, I was able to get all of the achievements except for the "historian" and "brass balls" achievements. Beating the game on hard without dying once, that is sorta insane.

Well this summer was a busy one but I did get some gaming in. I played and beat Chrono Trigger DS twice, Dragon Warrior V is still a work in progress since I beat the final boss but the final side boss is impossible so I need to keep going on that.

I've been fiddling around with my Pearl version in my boredom as well as playing the Fire Emblem Game for the Wii. I've beaten that game more times than i can count but I still find it entertaining.

We spend our summers in our summer cottage, where we don't have a computer or any other game console. I've been playing mostly Pokemon FireRed and Pokemon Sapphire. I have a friend that I meet only on summers, who has Pokemon Emerald, so we've been mostly trading first gen. pokemon from FireRed for third gen. pokemon from Emerald. When that became boring, Sapphire was the alternative.

Whenever I've been at home I've been playing Wii Sports or FarmVille (yes, I'm an addict ;)). We really haven't purchased any serious Wii games, so that's about our only good one. And FarmVille... Well, it's just so addicting!

Cross Edge took me 3 play throughs to get the true end
Getting all The endings In Chrono Trigger DS
Disgaea 3
Fire Emblem Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn
I think summer was pretty productive for me Cross Edge was really hard considering I played hard mode on my first play through