• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

DPPt/HGSS Weekly/Monthly Pokecharms WFC Organized Play: Need input

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
We keep talking about how this would be such a fun idea, but it's always just been talk until now.
I'm out to change that XD

I want to start doing online weekly/biweekly/monthly get togethers for members who have Platinum (or D/P for battling/trading), WFC access, spare time, and preferably access to mIRC or the Pokecharms chat (it'd be a lot tougher to actually meet-up for this otherwise). There's lots of stuff players could do: Poffin mixing, doubling up for anything Battle Frontier related, the Platinum mini games, or typical battling/trading. If interest existed for such we could start including other Pokemon games with WFC access, too.

Please note: As long as you own Platinum and have WFC access, you do not need a competitive team raised to participate in these sessions. You could still do all of the mini-games, poffin mixing, Battle Factory with a partner, voice chatting, and general trading. Even if all you owned was D/P, you could still drop by for some quick trades and voice chatting.

Anyways, what would set these meetings apart from what we've already been doing is the organization on a wider scale and consistency. They'd be on the same day, at the same time, and at the same frequency each month - whatever frequency we decided to use. They'd become a standard for the Charms gaming community so people could actually plan to be around if they were interested, and possibly we could set up a ranking system, too (though probably nothing too extensive for now).

Before we can get started however, we've gotta collect some info from everyone interested (and ONLY if you're interested, please). I'm also requesting that anyone who participates plays fairly and makes fair trades (or you will be blacklisted), doesn't use hacked Pokemon with abnormal attacks/stats for battles, and acts appropriately while in the Charms chat (so no flaming, no ALL CAPS SPEAK or horrible typing - basically the same rules Charms already follows). It is also requested that if you are participating in member vs member battling that you state up front whether you follow the Pokecharms battling/team rules or not.

Now, to keep things simple, I've made a quick 'form' for people to fill out. Please copy/paste and use it so I know you actually read the information above. Anyone not following this format will be ignored. If you have questions unrelated to the form itself, feel free to PM me about them.

-------------------------------------------------
Please copypaste the below text for your replies and fill in as much information as possible. The brackets are to be used for guiding answers, but feel free to delete them when responding. Thanks!

Pokemon Friend IDs with name of game(s):
Do you have a team raised for competitive play?: (Yes/No)
If yes, which level(s) do you prefer to battle at?: (Baby Cup, L.30, L.50, L.100, No Preference)
On average, how often would you be able to participate per month?: (Once a month, Once every two weeks, Once a week, No limits)
What days of the week would work best for you?: (May list multiple)
During what times would you be most available?: (Important: Please give a range of time(s) and your timezone)
Do you currently have access to mIRC or could download it if needed?: (Yes/No)
If not, are you able to access the Pokecharms Chatroom via the website link?: (Yes/No)

-----------------------------------------------------------

Example:
1234-5678-9012 (Platinum)
2220-2220-2220 (Diamond)
Do you have a team raised for competitive play?: Yes
If yes, which level(s) do you prefer to battle at?: Any level

On average, how often would you be able to participate per month?: Once a month
What days of the week would work best for you?: Saturday or Sunday
During what times would you be most available?: 1 PM to 6 PM EST

Do you currently have access to mIRC or could download it if needed?: Yes
If not, are you able to access the Pokecharms Chatroom via the website link?: N/A
-----------

If you can't access mIRC or the chatroom via the website at all, you might not be able to participate unless all of your interactions were done via the WiFi Club or PMs/another messager program - but sending PMs back and forth can get tedious FAST, and I'd hope that if you were allowed to download, say, AIM/MSN/etc. you should be allowed to download mIRC or something that mimics it.

Clear as mud? Hope so. If anything major has been left off that form, let me know and I'll add it in. Also, if anyone would be interested in helping to organize these group sessions - especially on the days I couldn't be present (life happens) - drop me a line and we'll discuss it. :)

This sounds like a fantastic idea. I would most definitely join in! I'll have to relearn how to use IRC stuff (and by re-learn, it's more like learn in the first place). Although I'd love to help organize this, my schedule is so varied and inconsistent that I'd be making a promise I couldn't keep. Sorry :/

1677-3197-2380(Platinum)
5026-5796-4761(Diamond)
Do you have a team raised for competitive play? (Yes/No): Yes, but they are lame
If yes, which level(s) do you prefer to battle at? (Baby Cup, L.30, L.50, L.100, No Preference): No preference, I've only just started battling
On average, how often would you be able to participate per month? (Once a month, Once every two weeks, Once a week, No limits): Once a week would be great
What days of the week would work best for you? (May list multiple): Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays
During what times would you be most available? (Important: Please give a range of time(s) and your timezone): EST, usually 5pm - 1am is good
Do you currently have access to mIRC or could download it if needed? (Yes/No): Yes
If not, are you able to access the Pokecharms Chatroom via the website link? (Yes/No) No, surprisingly

5456 5850 7945 - Platinum
Do you have a team raised for competitive play? (Yes/No): Yes
If yes, which level(s) do you prefer to battle at? (Baby Cup, L.30, L.50, L.100, No Preference): Baby Cup, 50, 100.
On average, how often would you be able to participate per month? (Once a month, Once every two weeks, Once a week, No limits): As often as its held :)
What days of the week would work best for you? (May list multiple): Any
During what times would you be most available? (Important: Please give a range of time(s) and your timezone): GMT, 16-20 on a weekday, 9-21 on a weekend (But I'm flexible, can change these. These are just times when I'm definitely free)
Do you currently have access to mIRC or could download it if needed? (Yes/No): Yes

Fantastic idea, can't wait to see how it plays out.

1848 8059 2997(Platinum)

Do you have a team raised for competitive play? (Yes/No): Yes

If yes, which level(s) do you prefer to battle at? (Baby Cup, L.30, L.50, L.100, No Preference): No Preference, although I'd have to make some Baby Cup and Lv30 teams xD

On average, how often would you be able to participate per month? (Once a month, Once every two weeks, Once a week, No limits): No Limits

What days of the week would work best for you? (May list multiple): any

During what times would you be most available? (Important: Please give a range of time(s) and your timezone): 3-10 PM, GMT-6

I'm loving this idea, Linkachu. Can't wait for it to start.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
2192-4548-0204 (Platinum)

Do you have a team raised for competitive play? (Yes/No): This is me - what do you think? (Note to idiots: Yes)

If yes, which level(s) do you prefer to battle at? (Baby Cup, L.30, L.50, L.100, No Preference): Lv 100

On average, how often would you be able to participate per month? (Once a month, Once every two weeks, Once a week, No limits): Whenever I guess, depends on uni mostly

What days of the week would work best for you? (May list multiple): Weekends are best, but any weekday works too.

During what times would you be most available? (Important: Please give a range of time(s) and your timezone): 5PM-1AM (UK time)

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Great, guys! And hopefully more people will show interest, too :)

Just a note for future replies: I reorganized the form slightly to display more like how I'd originally intended. You don't need to keep the brackets when filling out the form. They're mostly just to guide answers, so if you want to delete them feel free.

---------------------

1118-6959-5617 (Platinum)
If yes, which level(s) do you prefer to battle at?: L. 100 All or L. 50 All, but I have a Baby Cup team trained (PBR Rules)
On average, how often would you be able to participate per month?: Biweekly, but leaning more towards monthly for now
What days of the week would work best for you?: Saturday or Sunday afternoon
During what times would you be most available?: 1 PM to 8 PM Saturday, 1 PM to 5 PM Sunday, Atlantic Time

Pokemon Friend IDs with name of game(s): 2922-8593-8733 (Diamond)
If yes, which level(s) do you prefer to battle at?: Level 100
On average, how often would you be able to participate per month?: Every two weeks
What days of the week would work best for you?: Friday or Saturday
During what times would you be most available?: 2:00 PM - 9:00 PM (Pacific Standard Time)
Do you currently have access to mIRC or could download it if needed?: No
If not, are you able to access the Pokecharms Chatroom via the website link?: Yes

This shall be fun :o

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
God, I wish I'd noticed earlier you'd misspelled 'input' >=O.

Anyway, I've set up a chatroom for this for Katie. #PokecharmsWFC on the usual network.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
... I wish I'd noticed I'd misspelled it earlier, too XD

And thanks a bunch for the channel, Alex :)

Ruko

Bearded Trout Warrior
I designed and put up a channel two months ago for this purpose :(
KoL was supposed to put some mention of it in when the site came back up [as it was created right as the site went down]

The channel is #CharmsWifi and it was where my pokedex bot got moved to after it was completely shunned by Stel.

Anyhow
Friend Code(s): Platinum: 4855 2689 8438
Do you have a team raised for competitive play?: Not yet, working on it
If yes, which level(s) do you prefer to battle at?: Lv 5, Lv. 50, and Lv. 100. Level 5 untrained like the Baby Cup was.
On average, how often would you be able to participate per month?: Once a week would be really nice.
What days of the week would work best for you?: Any right now, but Friday/Saturday would seem most fitting
During what times would you be most available?: Anytime currently, US Central is my timzone.
Do you currently have access to mIRC or could download it if needed?: Yep

A note about good meeting times - It might be a good idea to hold one for Europeans and one for Americans. This wouldn't mean excluding one group from the other's meet.. it would just allow for an optimal arrangement for one set of timezones with a later meet arranged for the other set of timezones.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
A note about good meeting times - It might be a good idea to hold one for Europeans and one for Americans. This wouldn't mean excluding one group from the other's meet.. it would just allow for an optimal arrangement for one set of timezones with a later meet arranged for the other set of timezones.

LoN said the same thing. I'm more than happy to allow two meetings at varying times per day, but I can't promise to be at them both. Most likely I'll be taking part in the one based around GMT.

For a second time slot dedicated to our EST/PST members, someone else would be required - and I do mean required - to pick up the slack. It's quite a commitment, and I wouldn't want someone saying they'd do it for awhile then realizing they're too busy and running off. =/

Regardless, the option is there. If anyone feels up to the task, they can contact me about it. ^^

Ruko

Bearded Trout Warrior
As long as they're held at set times, I can probably be available for both.. I'd need to know what those set times are before giving a definite yes or no though.

[Also dunno if I qualify to be put in charge of one]

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I'm jumping on mIRC now to discuss it more with you XD

Also, as of now, what I'm aiming for is something in between GMT and EST. That way it's not overly latish for the GMT members, but not too early for the EST members. Just a good medium. Then we'll see who can make it and who absolutely can't and work around it :)

Target date to start this off is November 7th (Saturday). I'll get the exact meeting time together in a few days in order to have the best time for the majority of interested members. So, yeah. If anyone else is interested, please fill out the form sooner than later so I can factor your needs in ^^

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
Sounds like fun ^^

Pokemon Friend IDs with name of game:
3480-8902-3351 - Platinum
If yes, which level(s) do you prefer to battle at?: L. 50 or L.100
On average, how often would you be able to participate per month?:
Not 100% sure right now, as my working hours will be changing, but I'd love to aim for at least twice a month
What days of the week would work best for you?:
Again, can't say for sure, but evenings will generally be best for me
During what times would you be most available?:
Safe to say most nights after 11PM (UK time)
or
5PM ~ 1AM (UK time) some nights
If not, are you able to access the Pokecharms Chatroom via the website link?: N/A

This sounds like a great idea. What other games would be played if others are added?

Pokemon Friend IDs with name of game:
2664 8315 1619 - Platinum
4511 1649 9076 - Pearl
If yes, which level(s) do you prefer to battle at?: L.100
On average, how often would you be able to participate per month?:
Possibly once a week; I'll state otherwise
What days of the week would work best for you?:
7pm - 1am PST

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
This sounds like a great idea. What other games would be played if others are added?

Really depends. This would be a Pokemon group first and foremost, so only Pokemon-related games would be played (this would not include games such as SSBB). It all comes down to which Pokemon-related games actually have WFC access. The Mystery Dungeon games have basic usages over it, and I seem to recall others utilizing it as well... Maybe I'm mistaken.

Either way, that'd be the idea. If people started becoming interested in involving games such as PMD they could be added to the list. Pokemon Battle Revolution is always an option as well, just a bit harder to work around because of its limitations. Naturally HeartGold and SoulSilver would be allowable, too, but obviously limited in usage until they're released more globally next year.

It'd be great if something else Pokemon-related that had a strong WiFi Connection system was announced/released between now and next summer. Pokemon Rumble, I'm assuming, does not allow co-op WiFi play - but someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
And alrighty. I'm going to lock this thread soon and start up a proper Organized Play Thread. We've decided on our first meeting time, so hopefully it can accommodate the largest amount of members across the planet.

November 7th (Saturday), 6 PM GMT.

Note: For this gathering, everyone will need to be able to connect via mIRC to the #PokecharmsWFC channel - sorry to any users dependent on the java client. The server is the same as the general #Pokecharms.

The idea of having two separate slots per day is still open, as is changing the actual day the meetings are held on (from Saturday to Sunday) and the frequency they're held. Right now I'm aiming at biweekly, but if it's too much we'll be switching to monthly. Should be alright, though.

I'll leave this open until I actually have the time to set-up the other thread. Gotta go for lunch now.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Alright. This thread has served its purpose, so I'm locking it.

See this thread for further information: http://www.pokecharms.com/forums/index.php?topic=6922.0

Thanks for all the help in getting the major kinks ironed out, guys. We'll just keep working on the rest as we go :)

Status
Not open for further replies.