• A reminder: If you want to ask an RP thread creator if you can join their RP, do so in private - via conversation or profile messages - or via the thread's discussion thread, if one exists. Do NOT ask if you can join an RP on the RP thread itself! This leads to a lot of unnecessary OOC chatter and that's not what the RP boards are for.

This is clearly stated in our RP forum rules. If you've not read them yet, do so BEFORE posting anything in the RP forums. They may be found here (for Pokémon Role Play) or here (for General Role Play). Remember that the Global Rules of Pokécharms also apply in addition to these rule sets.
  • Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Ask to Join Unova league tournament

"I see what your plan is.. Go swoobat and musharna!"

The swoobat took to the air and was next to charizard, Musharna went in front and got ready to attack,
"Swoobat use brave bird on haxorus!"
Swoobat flew in a fast soar toward haxorus and it was a direct hit,
"Charizard flamethrower on cofagrigus!"
The flames spiralled all round cofagrigus blocking it from firing back,
"Musharna use sucker punch on chandelure!"
Musharna floated right up to chandelure and punched it back
"Now shadow ball!"
He commanded
The misty ball smacked into chandelure it seemed as it should have caused a lot of pain.

"Alright guys come fire at us I am ready!"
Luke was feeling really heated up, this was the same rage what got Luke far in johto but then lost it after Ella beat him before the finals.

What Did You Do To Snoke?

Previously Ratbag the Coward
Scolipede charged at every pokemon it could see. Bouffalant started missing attacks and got it's head stuck in the wall of the warehouse. After marching over to Dragonite for a few seconds, Druddigon fainted. Mienshao jumped across the field trying to hit each pokemon with a high jump kick attack Ryoku had ordered. Ryoku also ordered Volcarona to use heatwave and Bug buzz-the waves of fire and green energy surged through the battlefield. Giallo ordered Chandelure to use fire blast-a powerful energy fired through as this happened. Bronius's Haxorus went to cut down the pokemon near him. Haxorus tried to attack Dragonite and buizel using dual chop and dragon claw attacks. Cofagrigus took the fire attack, but managed to avoid the shadow ball attacks. The sucker punch attacks did not stop the pokemon from attacking. Cofagrigus fired many shadow balls towards Charizard. Gollurk flew into the air once again to avoid deadly water attacks from buizel. Subsequently, Gollurk landed back down and punched the ground causing a powerful earthquake attack, splitting open part of the ground.

Cody took the time to return his poisoned Arcanine. It did all it could and Cody didn't have a antidote on hand.

"Raichu, jump and use Thunder on Volcarona!" Cody ordered as Raichu jumped in the air to deliver a powerful electric attack on the Volcarona as it looked to push through the waves of fire and green energy.

"Dragonite take to the sky and use Draco Meteor!" Cody called out as Dragonite flew in the air above Haxorus and launched a large meteor into the air before it exploded into dozens of meteorites that would descend and hopefully hit as many of the enemy Pokemon as possible.

"Buizel Hydro Pump from the sky!" Cody called out as Buizel, having remained hanging in the air above Haxorus when Golurk dodged its Aqua Jet, fired a powerful stream of water down below at Golruk while it was busy with Earthquake hoping the third time would be the charm.

Last edited:

jade421

Previously Sarah316
"Zack jump and use Thunder on Bouffalant!" Summer ordered as the Zebstrika jumped in the air and launched at powerful Thunder attack on the trapped Bouffalant.

"Candice use Dazzling Gleam on Mienshao!" Summer said, her partner Cinccino jumped off Summer's shoulder and fired a series of dazzling beams at the Mienshao.

"Belle come out and use Hydro Pump on Chandelure!" Summer called out, releasing her Swanna who took to the sky and shot a stream of powerful water at the Chandelure.

"Casper come out and use Flamethrower on Scolipede!" Summer called out, releasing her own Chandelure that launched a stream of powerful fire at the Scolipede.

Charizard was hit by the many shadow balls and was in severe pain, "Charizard shake it off and fly up!"
charizard flew into the sky and was out of site
"Time for my revenge.."
Luke nodded as he looked above, Charizard was spinning towards scolipede on fire at it's full speed.
"Now flame thrower"
Luke commanded as charizard pushed scolipede into the wall outside the warehouse, and then fired a beam of fire towards it.
"Give up man, Your scolipede took way to much damage."
Luke said looking as scolipede in pain.
"Musharna use physic at Mienshao and throw it at scolipede!"
Mienshao was chucked into scolipede this was to cause damage.

All the powerful attacks took out Scolipede and Mienshao. Their fainted bodies lay on the floor and the sages looked at them in disgust. Bouffalant managed to release it's head, but only to faint from a Thunder attack. Chandelure fainted simply because it's fire blast attack wasn't strong enough. Gollurk was finally fainted from the hydro pump attack. The rest of the pokemon also fainted from the cluster of attacks. The grunts and sages took one good look at their pokemon and fled into the warehouse, only to be stopped by the Mask of Bug.

"What have we got here then, some defeated incompetent sages and their lowlife scum? Defeated by utter school children?" The Mask of Bug spat. "We haven't got time for playground games!" She laughed before sending out her Leavanny. "String shot these fools!" Leavanny took the order and spat string at the sages and grunts. Their mouths were covered in the sticky string and they couldn't speak. They were then tied to the wall of the warehouse. The Mask of Bug looked at the trainers.

"This punny bug I can just burn you if I want but, I thing they have other plans for you."
Luke laughed as he patted his damaged charizard and returned swoobat and Musharana.
"Good work guys."
Then he turned and looked at the mask of bug
"So your the mask of bug?, I am guessing your in charge of this operation, Other questions where is Patrick!"
he said clenching his fist.

"No, I am not in charge here." The Mask of Bug said as she started walking around the trainers very slowly. "But I do possess a great deal of power over these grunts and useless sages. Your friend is inside the warehouse. He escaped our little mind trap. The Mask of Ice is after him. He'll have him transported to our master, the Mask of Darkness, in no time, so really you should stop. We've technically already won."

Inside of the warehouse, Patrick ran for his life from the Mask of Ice's Vanilluxe. It fired icy beams at Patrick. Patrick sent out Shiver. "See if you can ice beam him!" He shouted, giving away his location in an aisle. Shiver fired the ice beam at Vanilluxe. The two ice beams hit each other and struggled, but ultimately Shiver managed to hit Vanilluxe. It was so strong Vanilluxe fell to the floor and fainted. Patrick smiled but saw more ice beams coming his way. They were now coming from a Cryogonal the Mask of Ice had sent out. Patrick ran towards a door, then the Mask of Ice's Beartic jumped down from a platform in the air and grabbed Shiver, crushing the pokemon in his hands, before throwing him on the floor. Patrick screamed and ran the other direction, returning Shiver in the process.

"I see you're the type who doesn't give up so easily. Fine by me. Buizel, Raichu go look for Patrick and back him up if needed. Dragonite prepare a Hyper Beam." Cody said, as Raichu & Buizel went off to the warehouse to go look for Patrick while Dragonite prepared a Hyper Beam aimed right at the Mask of Bug.

"I should tell you, I've done special training with my Dragonite so it can fire extra fast Hyper Beams. Make a move, reach for a Pokeball or even look at me the wrong way and my partner turns you to dust where you stand. So just stand still darling, if you know what's good for you." Cody threatened, he didn't like the idea of killing someone, but when it came to these masks he was prepared to make an exception. Cody did hope he could just bluff his way to keep the Mask of Bug occupied.

I voice whispered in Cody's ears. "I wouldn't do that if I were you."

The shadow triad appeared in front of Dragonite.

"I don't need your help!" The Mask of Bug told them. Leavanny walked up next to her. The Mask of Bug's Crustle walked in front of his master. "I've got this. They believe the hyper beam attack will kill us but my Crustle is ready to block it!"

The shadow triad nodded. They disappeared into darkness and vanished.

Cody cursed as he and his Dragonite moved back, Dragonite cutting off the Hyper Beam. Cody was in an awkward situation. He sent Raichu and Buizel into the warehouse and Arcanine was still poisoned. Cody didn't like having to reveal his entire team, but he felt now he had no choice.

"Excadrill, Roserade come out and back Dragonite!" Cody said releasing his Excadrill and Roserade, who moved next to Dragonite as the trio faced the shadow triad and the Mask of Bug.

"What do you people want anyway?" Cody asked the Mask of Bug.

Last edited:

jade421

Previously Sarah316
Summer watched with Belle, Casper & Zack ready to back Cody and his team up. Meanwhile Summer had already stealthily sent Candice to help back up Cody's Buizel & Raichu.

The Shadow Triad vanished. They had disappeared into the warehouse. "Don't mind them...they're very busy." She saw Raichu and Buizel enter the warehouse. "After them! Rock blast!" She exclaimed. Crustle jumped towards Raichu and Buizel and started shooting rocks at them continuously. "Leaf blade on these ones!" Out of Leavanny's hands, grew long green swords. Leavanny dashed forward to attack the other pokemon.

"Excadrill Metal Claw!" Cody called out as Excadrill, with its drill hands glowing, charged the Leavanny.

"Raichu Iron Tail!" Cody called out with all the voice in his lungs, Raichu heard him and soon its tail glowed as it looked to smash Crustle's incoming rock projectiles before they hit itself and Buizel. Buizel moved behind Raichu.

jade421

Previously Sarah316
"Candice use Protect! Help Raichu block the rocks!" Summer called out as loud as she could, as her Cinccino who the Mask of Bug thankfully failed to noticed stood next to Raichu and used Protect. Coating itself in a barrier to help defend against the incoming projectiles. Meanwhile Zack & Casper moved to with the Zebstrika & Chandelure back up Excadrill while Belle took to the air, the Swanna ready to provide support from the sky if necessary.

Leavanny swiped at and slashed at Excadrill. Soon, Leavanny was overwhelmed by the other attackers. She did not see the Iron tail attack and got hit badly. A large Scolipede appeared behind the Mask of Bug. "Megahorn!" She cried as Scolipede came at Raichu.

Meanwhile, at the stadium, Ella was sitting on a sofa in the lobby thinking about Patrick. "I shouldn't have said those things to him." She said to Christie. "Thanks for conforting me, you're so nice." She looked out of one of the windows. "I can't help but worry that something has happened to him, that...they may have taken him."

"He's probably fighting hordes of Masqueraders." A man in a brown coat sat down next to Ella. Ella looked at the man. "Father?!" She recognised him. "But I thought..."

"The International Police Force is gone. They were destroyed by the Masqueraders. I escaped captivity with the help of the IDF. It's so good to see you again!" Both Looker and Ella hugged each other. "Yes, I heard about Patrick and you...that was...a good thing you broke up with him but...he's alone at that warehouse...he'll probably be captured then because my sources say that's owned by the Masqueraders."

"I think I saw a couple of other trainers follow him..."

"We need to save Patrick." Looker said standing up. "Look, there are some things you should know but...I believe the entire fate of Unova and the other regions rests in his hands. If we don't do something, they will have kidnapped him and will use him to wear the Mask of Many Colours."

"But what exactly can we do?" Ella asked

"That is what I was thinking..."

Christie sat back and listen to Looker. Christie agreed with him about going to help Patrick, though not about the fact that breaking up with Patrick was a good thing. However that was just Christie being a hopeless romantic. Still they had to help, last she saw Cody followed Patrick to talk to him so odds were if Patrick was in trouble so was Cody. Eevee sat on Christie's shoulder listening to Looker talk

While Buizel, Raichu (Who fought off Crustle's rocks and moved back after quickly going over to hit Leavanny) & Summer's Cinccino Candice were cut off by the Mask of Bug's Crustle before the Mask of Bug sent a Scolipede after them, Raichu specifically. Cody had to react quickly.

"Raichu, Dig on Scolipede! Buizel Hydro Pump on Crustle!" Cody called out as Raichu went underground to launch a attack from underneath Scolipede. Buizel fired a powerful stream of water right at Crustle.

Excadrill suffered some damage from Leavanny's Leaf Blade and was knocked back, thankfully Summer's Pokemon were there to back it up. Cody decided to continue to overwhelm Leavanny.

"Roserade Leaf Storm! Dragonite Flamethrower! Combo attack!" Cody called out as Dragonite let out a stream of fire that was soon surrounded by hundreds of leaves from Roserade's Leaf Storm as the combo attack was sent right at Leavanny. Normally it was his sister who liked to show off these combo attacks, so Cody decided to borrow a page out of her book.

Last edited:
"Swoobat use physic on crustle and hold him"
Luke trapped crustle so cody's pokemon could finish it with out crustle damaging them.
"Charizard go help the rest find Patrick!"
Charizard flew into the warehouse and used fireblast to halt and trap every one inside, The only way out is to fly out on charizards back through a small hole.
"swoobat use brave bird on Levanny"
Swoobat flew under the Levanny and slammed into its leg stopping it from moving.
"Finsish them cody!"
Luke said nodding and cracking his fist at the mask of bug.

jade421

Previously Sarah316
"Belle go though the hole Charizard made and go find Patrick! Candice use Dazzling Gleam on the Crustle & Scolipede! Everyone else back up Cody!" Summer called out as Belle flew into the hole Charizard created; the Swanna hoped it would be able to find Patrick inside. Candice jumped in the air as the Cinccino shot several beams of light as the Crustle and Scolipede. Zack & Casper went over to back up Dragonite & Roserade, the Zebstrika used Thunder Wave on Leavanny to paralyze it while the Chandelure added to the strength of Dragonite's Flamethrow with one of its own. Careful not to burn Roserade's surrounding leaves from its Leaf Storm.

The sheer force of strength exerted by the pokemon made Leavanny, Crustle and Scolipede faint. "You trainers..." The Mask of Bug started, "Are good..."

She paced around wondering what to do. "I conceed defeat. Judging by the size of that hole in the warehouse...you won't need these!" The Mask of Bug threw the keys to the warehouse onto the floor next to her.

"It's nice to meet you too." Alice said as she smiled at the man. She looked at the TV as it stated that a battle broke out in a wharehouse. " What's going on." She said.

Cody went over to his Buizel and Raichu, having grabbed a key to the warehouse, before he turned to Luke & Summer.

"Make sure the cops get this masked weirdo. I'm going after Patrick." Cody said walking inside the warehouse with his team. Cody only barley noticed a news helicopter getting footage of the fight that just ended. However things were not finished, he still had to get Patrick.

Christie watched a news report of a battle in front of a warehouse. One with Cody involved! Christie turned to Looker and Ella.

"Guys you have to see this!" Christie said pointing at the T.V.

Last edited:

jade421

Previously Sarah316
Summer walked over to the Mask of Bug, Zack and Casper backing her while Belle had already gone inside the warehouse to help back Cody. Candice returned to Summer and climbed up her shoulder. Summer sent out her Serperior Selene as it, her Zebstrika and Chandelure surrounded the Mask of Bug.

"Now then, come quietly with me to the police station and you won't get hurt. Do we understand each other?" Summer said, making a threat to the Mask of Bug.

Riley took one good look at the tv screen to realize what was happening. "It's those masked clowns." Riley told Alice. "They're probably causing some more trouble. But I bet they didn't expect a two time champion to be in the area." Riley stated before he headed towards Chloe. "I'm sorry I have to cut this short but I promise I'll make it up to you next time." Riley told her before giving her a kiss. Then he went to the door. "It was nice meeting you." Riley told Alice before he left the room.

The Mask of Shadow appeared near the Mask of Stone's dead body. "It's such a shame it had to be this way." He said before placing his hand over the mask. A brown aura could be seeing flowing from the mask of Stone into the Mask of Shadow's hand. Once he was done, the mask was turned into dust, drained of it's power. Shadow looked at the palm of hand and examined it. "Interesting." He said before vanishing.

"Are you kidding?!" The Mask of Bug laughed. "The police don't exist! They were originally corrupt with members of our society, the Masqueraders, in the actual force and leadership! We destroyed the main headquarters in Unova and got rid of their leader, who happened to be the Mask of Norm! He tried to get rid of my master's regime!" She looked at a hole that had developed in the warehouse. "Why did I give you the keys? You could've just climbed in through that hole!"

Patrick heard damaged being done to another part of the warehouse and ran in that direction. Cryogonal kept firing ice beams, as ordered by the Mask of Ice. Patrick dodged the attacks but it took a good bit of Assan's energy out. Assan was frozen onto the floor.

"Isn't that Cody?" Ella asked Christie. "Him and some of the trainers must of gone to help Patrick. We need to go now!"
Looker stood up. "If this is really going on, it would be best to initiate a suprise attack. We need to go and see what is going on."

Cody and his team ventured into the warehouse, Cody having noticed Summer's Swanna out of the corner of his eye, soon Cody heard the sounds of battle and ran in that direction and not too long after saw Patrick, a frozen Samurott and a Cryogonal on the attack.

"Patrick! Dragonite use Flamethrower on Cryogonal. Everyone else guard Patrick." Cody instructed as Dragonite flew in front of the frozen Samurott and launched at stream of fire at the Cryogonal while Buizel, Excadrill, Raichu & Roserade moved in front of Patrick to act as a shield.

"A sneak attack? Well whatever you have planned we need to do it now! Cody and the others might need our help!" Christie said to Looker, wanting to go help her brother, Patrick and the others as soon as she could. Eevee hoped on Christie's shoulder and nodded in agreement.

jade421

Previously Sarah316
Summer bit her lip, she didn't want what the Mask of Bug said to be true, but it made too much sense. Looker's arrest as well as the fact that the police had not shown up yet, in spite of the fact that this was now being broadcast by that news helicopter.

"Well then, I guess you'll just have to answer my questions. Who are the Masks? Why are you doing this? What's your end game?" Summer asked, hoping that she could threaten some answers out of the Mask of Bug's mouth.

Meanwhile, Belle had flown above Patrick to help in the defensive formation Cody came up with. The Swanna was ready to assist Dragonite at a moment's notice.

"The boy." The Mask of Bug said. "We want to capture him. His father was the former Leader of the Council of Elements-a body which ruled and still does rule the Masqueraders internally. We believe that only the heirs to this one Leader have the ability to wear and control a specific mask-the Mask of Many Colours. Our current leader, the Mask of Darkness seeks to activate it to create the new apocalypse." She looked down onto the ground. "I shall be killed for this information...but they won't find me...i'll fight them!"

"Cody?!" Patrick smiled at the guy as he saw the pokemon enter "And..."

"Ice beam!" The Mask of Ice's voice cut Patrick's voice off. The blast hit Patrick's feet and he became frozen to the floor. Cryogonal had fired it just as it was dodging Dragonite's flamethrower attack.

"Nice try! Haha!" The Mask of Ice laughed. "I should have expected you kids to show up to save this boy! Now you shall pay. Beartic!" Beartic jumped out, seemingly from nowhere.

"Icicle crash!" Giant Icicles fell from the ceiling, from a portal, where, noone knew from. Accompanied by this, Beartic himself came crashing forward towards Dragonite-Beartic's body engulfed by a giant icicle. "Bear bear!!!" Roared Beartic, furiously.

"Flame thrower!"
Luke ran in
"Aw, sorry to melt your plan?"
Luke's charizard burnt the icicle crash down.
"Now use seismic toss!"
charizard smacked down on beartic from above and it looked like it caused a lot of trouble.
"Cody and the others go melt Patrick, I will hold him off."
Luke wiped of the sweat.
"I will not let you kill anyone, I need them to beat in the tournament!"
Luke smirked and clenched his fist ready.

"Raichu, use Iron Tail the break the ice around Patrick." Cody ordered as Raichu began to, with great care, smash the ice around Patrick's legs trying to free him. Cody then looked over at the Samurott frozen on the floor.

"Is that yours?" Cody asked Patrick, referring to the frozen Samurott not too far over.

Christie had gotten sick of waiting for Looker to explain his plan. Cody and the others were fighting and she was stuck waiting. Well Christie was not gonna let this go on as she made a move for the door.

"I don't care what your plan is, we have to help them now!" Christie yelled to Looker, speaking with a tone of anger she had not used yet since she made her arrival.

jade421

Previously Sarah316
"You'll fight them?" Summer said to herself, taking a moment to think over what the Mask of Bug was saying. Summer then let out a sigh before she faced the Mask of Bug.

"Tell me something...do you have any regrets over what you've done?" Summer asked, a dead serious expression on her face as she waited for the Mask of Bug to answer.

The Mask of Shadow reappeared behind the Mask of Bug and placed a hand on the masquerader's shoulder. "Even if she did have any regrets, she will never be able to correct them." The Mask of Shadow told Summer in his dark voice.

The Mask of Metal teleported next to the Mask of Shadow. "The Master says you are to kill this fool of a mask." The Mask of Metal whispered to the Mask of Shadow. "She openly admitted to opposing him...she gave in..." The Mask of Metal threw a dagger to the Mask of Shadow then teleported back to the Box.

"Not cool!" The Mask of Ice roared to Luke as he saw Beartic on the ground and Cryogonal stuck to a wall. Patrick started to break free from the ice as it melted, but Beartic came to grab him. At that instant, Assan broke free from the ice and slashed at Beartic using Razor shell. Patrick sent out Sage and ordered an energy ball attack on Cryogonal, who was firing an ice beam attack from the air. The enrgy ball attack interecepted the beam, going round it and hit Cryogonal, causing it to faint. Cryogonal was launched into Beartic. Beartic was hurt. Patrick ordered an aqua jet attack from Assan. Assan hit Beartic one final time and Beartic fainted. Then, Patrick ordered Assan to seize the Mask of Ice. As Assan was doing this, the Shadow Triad entered the room and knifed the Mask of Ice. The Mask of Ice fell to the floor as blood poured out.

"You shall not have access to him!" One of the Shadows shouted. "He knows too much!" A large group of Masquerader grunts entered the room. The Shadow Triad sent out two Pawniards into the fight each, making the Pawniard total count 6. Then each Shadow sent out a Bisharp, making three Bisharps in total.

"You can't just kill him!"Patrick exclaimed.

The Mask of Shadow caught the dagger with his hand and immediately had it at the Mask of Bug's neck. "I guess it's time to die." Shadow told Bug as he got ready to slice her neck. Before he did, Shadow placed his other hand over her mask and started to take the mask's power. Once the mask's power was gone, the mask turned to dust, revealing her face. "So that's what you look like inside." Shadow said before slicing her neck with dagger with out any hesitation.

Looker and Ella starting walking, Looker ran. "Got all your pokemon?" Looker asked.

"Yep." Ella replied. "Got yours?"

"Well Alisha, my assistant, took my Herdier and Croagunk so i've only got this one Growlithe for now." Looker dashed off.

"Wait for...Christie?!"

jade421

Previously Sarah316
Summer stood there in shock over the Mask's murder of his own ally. That shock turned to anger.

"Selene Leaf Storm! Casper Flamethrower! Zack Thunder!" Summer called out as her Serperior, Chandelure surrounded the Mask of Shadow and fired their attacks in full force.

Meanwhile Belle had been using its beak to help chip away the ice around Patrick. The Swanna doing what it could to help before the fighting in front of it took away its focus.

Christie ran past Ella and moved forward, determined to help her brother.

"Let's go, they need our help!" Christie said having turned her head back to Ella.

Cody looked on in stunned silence. What was with these people? Cody decided to act to stop the senseless slaughter in front of him.

"Dragonite Flamethrower!" Cody called out as Dragonite unleashed a stream of fire looking to hit as many of the Pawniards & Bisharps as it could.

"You really expect me to be hit by that?" Shadow asked before he vanished, taking Bug's body with him. The Mask of Shadow reappeared behind the Shadow Triad. He walked up too the Mask of Ice who was bleeding out on the floor. "I'll take him and see if he can still survive if he's not dead already." Shadow said before looking at Patrick. "I'll talk to you another time." He told Patrick before vanishing.

"What...who was that?" Asked Patrick. Assan was battling two of the Pawniards, dualing them via their blades. Assan brutally stabbed one of them and knocked the other one out with an Aqua Jet attack.

"It was one of...the Masks..." A woman coughed. Patrick turned around and saw the frozen body of Alisha, but the ice was quickly melting.

"Alisha!"

"It's me, yes..." She struggled to get out of the ice. Patrick had Assan cut through the ice. She escaped.

"Thanks. It seems with the death of the Mask of Ice...the Ice around me...finally has been broken."

At that moment, they saw that the successful flamethrower attack of Cody's Dragonite caused three pawniards to faint. A Bisharp stabbed at Assan when Alisha and Patrick were talking to each other causing the young man to focus his attention on the battle.

Luke saw Patricks pokemon get hurt.
"I got your back, Charizard flame thrower!"
Luke and charizard's strong bond combinded into a powerful blast towards the bisharp pushing it away
"Now steel wing!"
Charizard slammed bisharp on the ground to give enough time for assan to recover and attack.
"I will let you finish this pat"
Luke nodded as he ran next to Patrick.