• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

TOME: Terrain of Magical Expertise - Masters of the Terrain (Discussion/Sign-Ups)

Who's the best main character?

• Alpha

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Flamegirl

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NYLOCKE, DRAGON OF THE COLD STEEL!

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • Kirbopher

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Gamecrazed

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters
[THE TERRAIN OF MAGICAL EXPERTISE! (RP thread link)]

Don't know what TOME is? Watch it here: http://chrisniosi.com/tome/ (The Terrain of Magical Expertise | ChrisNiosi.com)
Alternatively, watch it on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list:pLIthb_HwSFaERKEPc01Lxnht4B6I5igQE
If you want to learn about the game the RP takes place in, go here: http://tome.wikia.com/wiki/Terrain_of_Magical_Expertise (Terrain of Magical Expertise)
Also, make sure to check out the TOME: Terrain of Magical Expertise kickstarter for the actual game being released 2018 (presumably), then do so!:
In the year 2020, Netking Software released a virtual reality game called the Terrain of Magical Expertise… TOME.

Within this expansive, interactive world, players of all ages, gender and race from across the globe unite together to a single community of social networking and gaming. With an unprecedented level of customization, you can create a personal avatar character to interact with friends and battle foes…and Netking Software’s unparalleled and renowned virtual reality system dictates your thoughts and actions instantly to create an incredibly realistic sense of life, making it the most immensely popular and sought-after game title in the world to date.

However, things are not quite right. Three months ago - right after TOME's first anniversary - dark clouds appeared in the sky, a 24-hour shutdown was done for "maintenance", and one of the Netkings was fired the day after. This and more strange events have circulated TOME ever since them, and all of this seems to center around three adventurers and new admins - Alpha, Flamegirl and Nylocke.

...but that's not the story we're following. After some rumors of the game having legal troubles, a group of players on the Terrain become entrapped in the web of fate by pure coincidence. These players will have to become friends, allies and comrades in order to win against the perilous threats the Terrain of Magical Expertise sends their way.

No real rules here aside from the regular Charms rules and the regular rules of TOME. Make your powers balanced and sensible, as the ability sets were created by the Netkings and not by the players. I'll have to approve your character or ask for changes. I'd also recommend you familiarize yourself with how the game mechanics work and how the areas are built.

Name (optional): (your character's IRL name)
Username: (your character's username)
Class: (Fighter, Spellcaster, Swordsman, Animalistic, Morphological or Mechanical)
ID Number:
Physical Description:
Personality:
Power:
Special Techniques:

Want to know how to create a good character? Watch the Traveler's Guide: http://chrisniosi.com/tome/episodes/s02-travelers-guide/ (The Terrain of Magical Expertise | ChrisNiosi.com)
Name: John
Username: CreeperNinja
Class: Swordsman
ID Number: 005-872-387
Physical Description: Has spiky pouffy brown hair, blue eyes, pale skin and a scar across his right eye. Wears a black bodysuit with a green scarf and a green stripe diagonally across the chest of his bodysuit. Can pull up some fabric from the neck of the suit to cover his nose and everything below it, usually does this before battle. Wields a sword with a long blade with a diamond blue exterior and golden interior.
Personality: Likes to joke around about things, but takes battles extremely seriously. (He can still take a loss without whining about it, though! He's a good sport.) He never likes an unfair situation, and the equal-chance system that TOME allows is what drew him to the game, as well as the social interaction aspect.
Power: Thunderblade
Special Techniques:
Power Slash - A strong slice that sends out a short-ranged projectile.
Zeus Rage - A quick and precise shot of electricity with a long range that can paralyze the opponent if timed right.
Thunderwave - A slow, short-ranged projectile that leaves the target paralyzed for a few seconds.
Electrodash - An electric field surrounds the user as he/she dash forwards.
Lightning Strike - A bolt of lightning that has the strength to destroy solid stone. Has to charge for a few seconds.

Username: PennyPeri
Class: Spellcaster
ID Number: 015-348-256
Physical Description: Wears a brown cloak that covers her from head to toe for the most part, with an opening for her face and an opening down the middle. Under the cloak, she wears a black t-shirt and black track pants. She often takes down her hood for battle, and removes it when she really wants to. She has brown hair that hangs over her shoulders, blue eyes and pale skin.
Personality:
Power: Starlight
Special Techniques:
Flash - A spark that emits a flash of light to all nearby players except the user
Constellation - A bunch of stars form in a pattern before erupting into light
Starbeam - A singular beam of light that can pierce shields
Solar Shield - A star forms around and protects the user
Starshine - A star that floats slowly down for a few seconds before erupting into flames

Last edited:
Leeet's do this~!

Name: Sicily Armani Grazziani
Username: IlFantasma
Location: This is unknown, but she's either in the United States or Italy somewhere.
Class: Animalistic
ID Number: 016-622-460
Physical Description: With cinnamon brown hair that flows down to just below her shoulder blades, parted on the left side of her head, bangs hanging down to her chin, Sicily isn't the skinniest young lady in the world, but she isn't considered fat, either. She's pale as heck but easily tans, and her eyes are a deep sea greenish-blue. She wears red glasses that appear even redder in the sunlight. Some of her features resemble those of a jackal, including her large-ish ears, fluffy tail, and sharper teeth and nails. It almost looks like she's wearing a pajama onesie of a jackal, one that seems to be a size too big for her, but it has no hood and there's a hole by her bottom for her tail to go through. It's the same tannish-brown and grayish-black as her animalistic organs. For the most part, she looks the same as she does outside of the game (well, except for the jackal parts, of course), mainly because she doesn't care whether people know what she looks like or not.
Personality: At first glance, Sicily might come across as shy and reserved outside of online interactions, but when logged on to a game like TOME, she's the exact opposite. Once she makes a friend, she likes to stick by their sides, feeling weird for needing to leave them for school or sleep and the like. Quite the loudmouth online, she's a sweet girl who doesn't care how many times people have told her that she should be more open during face-to-face interactions, perfectly content with keeping her IRL group of friends and hanging out with both groups, especially since all those odd happenings are going on in the game. Long story short, she's me in character form, so anything I'd do in a situation, she'd do, too.
Power: Wild Side
Special Techniques:
Bite- Bites down on the nearest opponent with her sharp teeth.
Scratch- Lashes out toward the opponent with her claw-like nails.
Growl- Growls and barks violently at the opponent, which might even knock them back or dizzy them.
Fur Coat- A fluffy pelt of fur wraps around herself or an ally for protection.
Call of the Wild- Can summon jackal pups with a howl to attack or simply confuse opponents, but they're not very strong.

Also since Sicily and CN are both here does that mean some SiCN could happen~? Heh...

Name: Laika
Username: SapphireFlare
Class: Fighter
ID Number: 014-286-375
Physical Description: Laika is 5'11, slim and toned physique. Midnight blue hair tied to a short ponytail along with lavander eyes. She wears a white tank top with a shoulder pad on her right, along the strap has a holster for a Glock 19, black fingerless gloves with the hands bandaged till the arm, black ripped short shorts, camo fanny pack and brown boots.
Personality: Laika is very stoic and easily agitated, sometimes she is blinded by her anger that she accidentally used her local slang. She always thinks high of herself and others to be lesser, though if she were to be proven wrong, she can be flustered as easily as she gets angry. She still has a kind heart under all that rage, offering to help others when needed. Laika also dares herself to fight recklessly as her anger is only contained if she is not under a lot of stress during battles.
Power: Volcanic Volley
Special Techniques:
Vulcan Fist – A charging dash attack in which the user is enveloped in searing flames. Makes for a good finishing move.
Butane Strikes - Rapid jabs with fists engulfed in blue flame.
Rocket Burn – A charging dash attack in which the user is enveloped in searing flames. This move can also be turned into a spinning attack.
Maiden's Anger
- A burst of flame in a small radius. Immobilized for a few seconds.
Pellet Blast - Fires several incendiary ammuniton with the Glock.

Last edited:
So, @Eis, what kind of character will you be going with? FYI we already have a swordsman, spellcaster, fighter and animalistic - nothing against you making another one of those classes, just that they're already part of the party. And just in case we include a five-elements puzzle like in Fraggedquest, we may want to vary our elements... Fantasma's got Wind, CreeperNinja/PennyPeri have Light and SapphireFlame has Fire. So we need Darkness and Ice still, for reference of people.

Also have you donated to the TOME kickstarter yet?

Yep, donated during the first week! As far as the RP goes, I'm actually working on a Mechanical character! The character was going to be kind of steampunk based though, so the element would probably be water over ice. I can change that if you want though!

Also, rip in piece when 3/4 of the cast are already female. This may have to be my first time using a male character :p

Awesome! What tier did you get?

FYI, Water and Ice are basically the same, and according to Fraggedquest there are five different elements. The game supports this with its Technical, Nature, Crystal and Infernal elements being the only ones available. Hm, should I add that to the character sheet...? Nah. Steampunk-type character sounds good. Maybe they have Mr. Freeze-type gadgets for some ice-based attacks?

oh and ye i just noticed cn is the only male so far

Also, I was checking out Fraggedquest again for the five elements, and I saw an amazing comment that I completely and 100% agree with.
DazzlingSparklecat said:
I have to say it. This is a fantastic show you've created.

- The characters all likeable, enjoyable, and yet very complex.
- The setting is interesting and practically my video game fantasy.
- The story is interesting and keeps you biting for what's going to happen next.
- The animation is very similar to an average video game, but it has its own unique take.
- The world they live in is very simple and easy to get used to.

I have to definitely give this show a 10 out of 10. It's amazing that writers on the internet are better writers than most people writing TV series nowadays.
YOU SAY IT DAZZLING SPARKLECAT

Username: BadaBing (BB)
Class: Mechanical
ID Number: 001-179-325
Physical Description: Most of BB's body is concealed by the mech suit that they pilot, leaving only their face and shoulders visible. BB has a mop of greasy brown hair on their head, as well as a large pair of yellow tinted goggles that conceal the eyes. The mech itself is a hulking suit of metal putting the wearer at about six feet tall. The suit is painted navy blue with white accents, and is covered in vents that let out puffs of steam whenever the suit moves. On the mech's back are several water tanks that the suit draws power from (though this usually only matters in battle.)
Personality: Both in TOME and in the real world, BB is a very direct and impulsive person. When a thought pops into their mind, they will almost always let everyone else know. Because of this, BB is a terrible secret keeper, and a worse liar. They tend to dodge questions regarding their life outside of the game though. BB tends to scare people off with their loud personality, but they usually don't let that bother them too much. They're here to play the game, after all! BB is very loyal to the friends they do manage to make though.
Power: Steampunk Suit
Special Techniques:
Fire Hose- A jet of scalding hot water from the mech's hands, used to push enemies back and douse flames.
Stompin Here- The mech leaps into the air, releasing a shockwave upon landing that can stun enemies.
Piston Punch- A barrage of steam-propelled punches. The mech's arms can extend far enough for this attack to work at mid-range, though this comes at the cost of power.
Cool It- After a set charging period, the water in the user's tank cools to freezing temperatures. The water is released and freezes in mid air, generating a shield of ice in front of the user.
Overclocked- Emits copious amounts of steam upon activation. Greatly increases the mech's mobility and melee power for a brief period of time. Leaves the mech immobile for a while after use.

(Using they for now until the cast in finalized. Or the character will just be nb. Idk)

Last edited:
...HOLY HELL. HOW IS THE ID NUMBER THAT HIGH...?! And I told Fanta she was overshooting when she wanted a number in the 30000000s! Remember, the ID numbers are determined by when a person joins (i.e. Nylocke being the 1,111,111th person to join and getting the ID number 001-111-111) and the highest we see in the show is Alpha in the 10000000s. TOME has a lot of players, but not that many... If your character's a veteran, go for an ID number in the same range as CN or the regular TOME cast. If you're going for a new player, go with an ID number similar to Fantasma's or PennyPeri's.

Omg, sorry! Completely forgot about the technicalities of ID numbers! I literally just rolled a random 9 digit number :(

Nah, it's fine. Aside from the number, it's all fine! Soooooo...
Accepted! Welcome to the Terrain of Magical Expertise.

And with that, the RP's going up tomorrow, since I don't have time to post it tonight!

Alright. I changed it. When I made Laika, I thought of mostly offensive attacks because I never expect Laika to resort to any defensive moves since she always fights carelessly. Also, I didn't even realise that some of the moves I've made were similar to Alpha and Flamegirl's.

Name: Erinn Rosemary Wicke
Username: SilverWing
ID Number: 017-345-956

Physical Description: As her name implies, SilverWing has slightly darkened silver-feathered wings at her shoulder blades. She’s 6’0” and has a light gray - almost white - pixie cut. She boasts long (and sharp) black nails and black bird legs complete with wicked talons. Her eyes have slits for pupils and are, surprisingly, a piercing icy blue in color. SilverWing has the same light brown complexion as her irl player, though she dresses slightly differently. She wears a red crop top, brown short shorts, and red high tops with a black choker. Of course, because she is a siren, SilverWing is drop-dead gorgeous. She has more curves than her IRL self and has bigger… … well, assets, though they aren’t ridiculously over the top in size.

Personality: SilverWing takes on the “fearless leader” role in TOME and isn’t afraid to direct friends or allies to victory. If need be, she will sacrifice herself to keep her allies and/or friends safe from danger. Besides this, she is the same in the game as she is in real life (IRL: On many occasions, people will count on Erinn’s empathy when they're feeling down. She’s very protective and often acts like a big sister to those younger than her that she cares about. Erinn can be childish at times though and she’s pretty disorderly, as her dorm constantly looks like a tornado touched down there. She’s also extremely pedantic, despite her not having OCD. All in all, Erinn is a bright and imaginative young woman who dreams big and is enthusiastic and optimistic about what the future holds for her).

Power
: Sound

Special Techniques
:
  • Angel Choir: The user sings a melody akin to that of heavenly bards. This is used for support or set up, as it paralyzes foes in wonder and awe for a few turns. (Obviously does nothing to foes that are deaf in any way.)
  • Slim Pickin’s: An aerial attack where the user dives from the air, grabs a foe, and flies them up into the sky before dropping them from a great height. Damage depends on the height the foe was brought to before being dropped as well as the weight of the foe.
  • Screamo: The user screams as harsh and loud as they possibly can. This damages all foes nearby in an arc and stuns them. Enemies that are not necessarily damaged by this attack are still stunned. (Obviously does nothing to foes that are deaf in any way.)
  • Talon TKO: A slashing strike where the user attacks with sharp nails or talons. Viable as a finishing move or to start off strong with a decent amount of damage done to the target.
  • Wing Whack: The user slams their wings into an enemy either mid-flight or on the ground.

Name: Erinn Rosemary Wicke
Username: SilverWing
ID Number: 007-345-956

Physical Description: As her name implies, SilverWing has slightly darkened silver-feathered wings at her shoulder blades. She’s 6’0” and has a light gray - almost white - pixie cut. She boasts long (and sharp) black nails and black bird legs complete with wicked talons. Her eyes have slits for pupils and are, surprisingly, a piercing icy blue in color. SilverWing has the same light brown complexion as her irl player, though she dresses slightly differently. She wears a red crop top, brown short shorts, and red high tops with a black choker. Of course, because she is a siren, SilverWing is drop-dead gorgeous. She has more curves than her IRL self and has bigger… … well, assets, though they aren’t ridiculously over the top in size.

Personality: SilverWing takes on the “fearless leader” role in TOME and isn’t afraid to direct friends or allies to victory. If need be, she will sacrifice herself to keep her allies and/or friends safe from danger. Besides this, she is the same in the game as she is in real life (IRL: On many occasions, people will count on Erinn’s empathy when they're feeling down. She’s very protective and often acts like a big sister to those younger than her that she cares about. Erinn can be childish at times though and she’s pretty disorderly, as her dorm constantly looks like a tornado touched down there. She’s also extremely pedantic, despite her not having OCD. All in all, Erinn is a bright and imaginative young woman who dreams big and is enthusiastic and optimistic about what the future holds for her).

Power
: Sound

Special Techniques
:
  • Angel Choir: The user sings a melody akin to that of heavenly bards. This is used for support or set up, as it paralyzes foes in wonder and awe for a few turns. (Obviously does nothing to foes that are deaf in any way.)
  • Slim Pickin’s: An aerial attack where the user dives from the air, grabs a foe, and flies them up into the sky before dropping them from a great height. Damage depends on the height the foe was brought to before being dropped as well as the weight of the foe.
  • Screamo: The user screams as harsh and loud as they possibly can. This damages all foes nearby in an arc and stuns them. Enemies that are not necessarily damaged by this attack are still stunned. (Obviously does nothing to foes that are deaf in any way.)
  • Talon TKO: A slashing strike where the user attacks with sharp nails or talons. Viable as a finishing move or to start off strong with a decent amount of damage done to the target.
  • Wing Whack: The user slams their wings into an enemy either mid-flight or on the ground.

Name: Lachlan Canavan
Username: SyncHole
ID Number: 015-852-993
Physical Description: Out of the game, Lachlan is a pale kid of average height - 5' 7" - with muddy brown hair that goes down in curly strands to just above his shoulders. His eyes are lime green, something which he takes pride in. In the game, he keeps his eye color constant while changing most other things, especially considering his class and design. SyncHole is an anthropomorphic weasel (sorry, stoat, he's very particular about that), technically shorter that Lachlan himself (standing at 5' 4" if in-game comparisons and calculations were to be done). His fur is eggshell white on his belly, and dark mossy green everywhere else. His eyes, as stated before, match those he has in reality in color. At the tips of his claws, nose, and ears, he bears banana yellow markings. Around his head, he wears a white bandana with holes so his ears can stick out. The bandana bears a golden "X" on the back.
Personality: Lachlan and SyncHole are one in the same as far as personality goes. He feels no need to change who he is drastically in-game. He is somewhat shy and awkward, the latter of the two traits more towards/about his Irish accent. He makes an attempt to conceal it, but never really succeeds at it. Once you get to know him, he's pretty laid-back. He knows how to laugh at himself and does it very frequently thanks to his awkward and clumsy nature. He is prone to bouts of stoic coldness, primarily if provoked to an extent that his laid-back nature can't handle.
Power: Debris Mastery
Special Techniques:
  • Debris Dash: SyncHole curls into a ball and, akin to Sonic the Hedgehog, does a spin dash attack. He picks up any debris and dust in the initial spin, using it to add to the damage.
  • Shrapnel Spread: SyncHole uses his claws to dig into the ground, hitting up shards of the ground to use as spikes. This is useful to deter enemies, as well as for pairing with his first attack.
  • Dust Screen: SyncHole kicks up a lot of dust, creating a makeshift smokescreen with it that he can navigate through. The screen doesn't last for as long as a standard smokescreen would, but it is generally enough to land a few solid hits.
  • Dust Devil: SyncHole does a spin dash in consecutive circles around the opponent, knocking dust and debris into the air as he goes to create a tornado of dust.
  • Debris War Screw: SyncHole does an attack similar to his Debris Dash in some ways, similar to Meta Knight's side special in others. He lunges at the opponent and spins like a screw or drill in the air, claws outstretched as he hits the target. Dust and debris in his path get carried with him.
================================================
Hope this works~! I love TOME, can't wait to log on!

xD

I've actually decided to scrap Sicily's avatar and powers due to them being super uncreative and boring. I just flat-out don't like them. Before I respond to the RP again, I'm gonna fix those up in both her form and my two posts, just to let ya know.

Name: Sicily Armani Grazziani
Username: DisNerd
Location: This is unknown, but she's either in the United States or Italy somewhere.
Class: Spellcaster
ID Number: 016-622-460
Physical Description: With cinnamon brown hair that flows down to just above her shoulders, parted on the left side of her head, bangs hanging down to her ear, Sicily isn't the skinniest young lady in the world, but she isn't considered fat, either. She's pale as heck but easily tans, and her eyes are a deep sea greenish-blue. Sicily needs no glasses thanks to her Tech magic, and usually wears a crimson red tank top with a back that flows down to her ankles, dark grey leggings, and combat boots. Either around her neck or over her ears are a pair of red and blue headphones, and attachable to them are a face cover that resembles a bandanna, made of metal with built-in mics and speakers to amplify her voice. She also carries around a thing that looks like a paintbrush without the bristles. Instead, there's a hole that is able to eject many different tips, like a paintbrush, pen, or pencil, for drawing and painting.
Personality: At first glance, Sicily might come across as shy and reserved outside of online interactions, but when logged on to a game like TOME, she's the exact opposite. Once she makes a friend, she likes to stick by their sides, feeling weird for needing to leave them for school or sleep and the like. Quite the loudmouth online, she's a sweet girl who doesn't care how many times people have told her that she should be more open during face-to-face interactions, perfectly content with keeping her IRL group of friends and hanging out with both groups, especially since all those odd happenings are going on in the game. Long story short, she's me in character form, so anything I'd do in a situation, she'd do, too.
Power: Child At Heart
Special Techniques:
Colors of the Wind- The tip of her paintbrush clicks to that of an actual paintbrush, and she swipes the air with a rainbow of color, which shoots out toward the opponent.
Voice Crack- She amplifies her voice with her metal bandanna, singing a random song that gets to be so high-pitched that her voice cracks, temporarily deafening opponents and allies alike.
Take it Back Now, Y'all- She's quick to dodge an attack, but only when a specific song is playing either from her speakers or in her mind. When it is not, she must rely on her quick-yet-lacking reflexes.
Bring Me to Life- The tip of her paintbrush clicks to that of a pencil and she quickly sketches out a stick figure with a fairly-detailed face, which is able to come to life and act as an assistant, but if it's hit once, it's dead, and it doesn't cause too much damage, either.
Cradle and All- She's able to sing a lullaby to an ally that heals their wounds. There's one lullaby that can also temporarily put opponents to sleep, but she is unaware of this and doesn't know which it is.

There, I did me a fix. Is anything screwed up, or am I good to fix my RP posts?

Last edited: