• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

DPPt/HGSS The Proof? Colosseum DOES cheat!

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
OK, so I had suspected for a while that Colosseum cheats. But I finally got proof.

Orre Colosseum Level 50 Double Battle
Battle 4: Zicko (Bodybuilder male)
Heracross
Earthquake
Endure
Reversal
Megahorn

uh, what? This is a level 50 Colosseum. Heracross learns Megahorn at level 53. It's not one of its egg moves, it's not a TM, and Heracross doesn't have a pre-evolved form that could learn the move earlier. Therefore, for a level 50 Heracross to have it... Colosseum must be cheating.

It goes on...
Battle 5: Macik (Street Performer female)
Gligar
Earthquake
Slash
Sandstorm
Guillotine

Gligar learns Guillotine at level 52. It's not one of its egg moves, or a TM, and Gligar doesn't have a pre-evolved form that learns the move earlier... (haven't I typed this whole sentence before?)

And...
Battle 6: Levens (Cooltrainer female)
Rhydon
Protect
Earthquake
Rock Blast
Megahorn

Aha! you say, Rhydon's pre-evolution Rhyhorn can learn Megahorn a whole 11 levels before Rhydon can. True. But Rhyhorn still only learns it at level 57!

Now, it's vaguely possible that Colosseum's level-up moves are different from Ru/Sa or FR/LG. But if that was the case, wouldn't the "Official" Colosseum Guide list those modified moves? The shadow Pokemon Pokedex at the back of the book is pretty clear that Gligar learns Guillotine at level 52 and Heracross learns Megahorn at level 53. Also, I'd have thought at least one of the big sites would have posted modified movesets or at least noticed that Colosseum is different...

Well. I have a level 44 Gligar currently, acquired from Colosseum. I'll level him up in that game, and see whether he learns Guillotine before level 52. I'm pretty sure the answer is no, but that'll be the test, won't it? I also have a level 47 Rhyhorn that I'm trying to get to learn Megahorn before she evolves, and a level 49 Heracross who I think was entirely levelled up inside Colosseum - I'll stick them in Colosseum as well, and see if they learn these moves before level 50. If they don't, then we have evidence.

What to do about it, I don't know - but we can feel Smug and Superior if/when we beat the cheating game :roll:.

Oh yes, and I'm posting it in this forum because I'm happy for you to stick it on the main site. As if anyone cares about Colosseum a year after it was released, but nevermindeh?

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Actually, there may be a bit of method to their madess. Aside from Eggmoves and TMs, a baby of two Pokemon bred together with the same attack will also know that attack. If the programmers of Colosseum wanted to save their asses they could technically say that their Heracross, Gligar, and Rhyhorn were bred with other Pokemon knowing those moves, thus being able to use 'em at the lower levels.

So... While I'm not saying it's right, they can still wag their fingers in front of our faces and call us complainers. Damn programmers :p

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
That's just... that's just... Sneaky! And underhand!

Who programmed Colosseum? Team Rocket? :evil: :shock:

Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator
Don't be silly. Gary hyjacked the production, sensing that you wanted to play Colosseum and ordered all the moves to be put on earlier, knowing that you'd complain :wink:

Couldn't resist ^_^'

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
:lol:

The 3D Battle games cheating is nothing new. It's well known that both the Stadium games cheated their arses off. You just have to endure it, sadly. ^^

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
*Nods* Just Endure it and strike back with Reversal! :D

... Couldn't resist that either ^^;

I'm kinda glad they 'cheat', though. Makes it more of a challenge and more satisfying when you cream 'em :twisted:
Yet I'll never get over their amazing luck to pull off OH-KO attacks. Let's hope it was all simply "luck" or I'll have to go berserker on 'em :p

Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator
*Uses a Phoenix Down on the topic to revive it.* Whee.

Sorry to revive this but... Colosseum DOES cheat!

I was playing through Story mode earlier, and it was my Sudowoodo and Medicham Vs a Kirlia and a Duskull. Every time I healed a burn on my Sudowoodo, they used Will O' Wisp again, but when i ignored it the attacked. Oh, and I healed 5 turns in a row.

There's your proof :wink: