• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

The Pokecharms Challenge

So, I suddenly had an Idea for something that I think many users might enjoy. Introducing, The Pokecharms Challenge!

So, it would be like a gym leader, elite 4, and champion challenge. We could have members compete for the spots, in the beginning, gym 1 being the lowest rank you can have while the champion is the highest. Then, we can have a period when no one can take the spots except champion (if they, of course, beat everything). Then everything would be cycled down with the 1st gym leader being eliminated. In order to return to the league, you would have to go through and beat the champion.

It's just a little idea I had. Granted, it could just be a little thing, but it will attract user!

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
You have no idea how many times this has been tried in the community, to be honest. It always dies immediately once people realise it'd involve actual effort.

Really? Have you tried providing some sort of award? A title, Trophy, something else perhaps. Maybe a forum dedicated to former champions? That might get people even more interested.

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
i promise you, we've tried this before. It really didn't work. The community has tried it dozens of times too - to the same effect. It'd be wonderful if it could work, but we aren't the right community for something that needs this much admin involvement and community engagement.

Oh, Alright. We could try to run it as a thing that the community itself manages. It won't matter that it isn't active. Just alone the fact that it exists would lure users to Pokecharms. I have seen many sites, both larger and small than this one able to run it. The most driving factor was that they made it into the official lore of the site.

Silver League is one of the biggest examples of this. They made an entire manga out of it. It's still going I believe and it started in around 2008 I believe? The lore of Pokecharms. The thing people want most is to be remembered. (or money, but whatever) It's kinda sounding like an RP now, isn't it. Just the writer side coming out.

I understand that it has been tried, but it's existence attract users. The hardest part about this that it needs to be regulated. So Pokemon Showdown Tapes? That would be one option for proof. It can be recorded into a thread. Then someone around the site can be given the task to write out the battle if they wish too. I would love to write out a battle like this. It could be like a weekly newspaper like thing too. Not the news itself, but is there. Kinda like the comics.

What do you think?

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
I know I'd not have time to start and monitor such a thing, and I suspect the other staff wouldn't either. I've already said before that the community has tried to run tournaments and leagues themselves – and with great regret, I must say that in my experience they often don't succeed. I can't see how it would be much different this time

When it comes down to it, we're a creative Pokémon community – so we'd rather focus our efforts and energies on unique projects that draw out the creativity in our members. That's what we do best – and believe me, we have a lot we can improve with what we're already doing before thinking about new projects. This sort of tournament isn't something that would be unique to us, nor would we be able to do it in a truly special way. In the end, we have over a decade of experience that says that for us, this particular idea just doesn't work.

Why don't we try to make a league that is unique to us? Change up the rules, format. I know much more can be done. Like you said, we have the creative community, so surely we can try to make something creative out of this. Maybe a completely different battle system entirely like the conquest games? Or perhaps people create their own regions and war with each other for power because certain Pokemon only exists there. I know we are capable of creating something unique to us, but at the same time be familiar.

Also I clearly understand the no time thing. Just thought it should be said anyways

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
I think I'd only be repeating myself at this point, so I think it's worth stating that we have the Role Play section and Playground for this sort of thing, if you wanted to run it yourself. Other than that, an official league system isn't going to happen, and that's my final word on the matter.

Alright. Just thought it was worth a try. Still would have wished it worked out. That would have been great. I do like my land capturing Idea and I think I just might use that!