• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

The Mysteries of Pokemon

How does a TM and HM work? A technological CD-like devise that is used on a Pokemon to tech it a move. And then, it breaks.

How?

Why do Water types, who are found in water, need HM Surf to swim? Granted most Water-Types are amphibeous (Butchered the spelling), some still require swimming.

AL
*Poof!*

How does a TM and HM work? A technological CD-like devise that is used on a Pokemon to tech it a move. And then, it breaks.

I always thought of TMs and HMs as little instructional videos that you play on your PokéDex. And you let your Pokémon watch it so they learn how to do the moves. But if that were the case it's still a mystery as to why they're one use only.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've allways wanted to know whats its like in a Pokeball is it just emty or is it a fun little wonderland of hapiness?And how do the Pokemon get inside them like what does the weird light thing do?

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
What I've always thought the Pokeball to be like is a machine that converts a Pokemon's cellular structure into energy and then condences that energy to be able to fit inside the Pokeball.

The reason the ball doesn't work on other living creatures like humans or plants is because the ball is designed spacifically for the Pokemon genome; what makes them unique as a species.

For TMs and HMs, I would say you download the move into the Porygon line, but for the rest I'm stumped.

I seem to remember there being some kind of HM/TM machine from the first or second gen. Either way, I believe there is some kind of handheld device that reads the disks and converts the knowledge into some kind of injectable form that you can then give to your pokemon to teach them a move. The disks are one time use items (except for the HMs of course) because the device actually takes the data 'out' of them, therefore rendering them useless afterwards. Explaining it for the PMD world is a bit more difficult though as they apparently do not have any kind of fancy machinery... I can only surmise that they have figured out a way of extracting the unique energy contained in the disks to be able to use them correctly. ^^

Since we're being all sciencey about a fantasy world, here's my go: A TM contains the knowledge and power to use a move. When given to a Pokemon, it bonds with their genetic structure and the knowledge and power is transferred to the Pokemon. Since the things necessary to create the power to use the move have been used on one Pokemon, the TM has no more to transfer to another Pokemon. And an HM is an upgraded version of the TM which the move is generated by the HM itself, not taken from a Pokemon's move, as Pokemon don't learn HM moves by leveling up. (I took the whole bonding with the genetic structure thing from how the T/HM in FR/LG is put onto the Pokemon itself)

EDIT: Ooh! Ooh! Pick me! Ah gotst a question! If Mew was the first Pokemon species, and the only Pokemon species until Aerodactyl, Omanyte, and Kabuto came into the picture, why can't scientists use Mew fossils to create clones of Mew like when you clone one of those prehistoric Polkamonz?

[quote author=Arceus Lord link=topic=6000.msg106917#msg106917 date=1244923969]

I always thought of TMs and HMs as little instructional videos that you play on your PokéDex. And you let your Pokémon watch it so they learn how to do the moves. But if that were the case it's still a mystery as to why they're one use only.
[/quote]

HAX!! ;D

[quote author=.:*Imploder*:. link=topic=6000.msg107116#msg107116 date=1244990215]
EDIT: Ooh! Ooh! Pick me! Ah gotst a question! If Mew was the first Pokemon species, and the only Pokemon species until Aerodactyl, Omanyte, and Kabuto came into the picture, why can't scientists use Mew fossils to create clones of Mew like when you clone one of those prehistoric Polkamonz?
[/quote]

I figure Mew has some sort of genetic defect that stops it from reproducing, as do all legendary Pokemon. So when Mew was attempted to be cloned, it's DNA became defunct and grew diffrenetly, becoming what we now call Mewtwo. Imagine a failed clone of Lugia, or Giratina. :D

That and there is supposed to be only one of each species of legendary. However, seeing the legendaries in different areas than before in the anime and even the games (Roaming Bird Trio in Platinum) begins to make me wonder if there are more...

Instructional videos... Mega-drugs... They're all so viable, yet not so viable. Instructional videos sound good, but how would, say, a Gyarados see such a tiny-arse screen? And the injection thing sounds viable, but this machine sounds large, too large to fit into a backpack full of Max Potions, Full heals, food, clothing, a tableset, TMs/HMs, Pokeballs, mail, and a Galactic Key. :p

AL
*Poof!*

Last edited by a moderator:
yea, i could imagine that the pokemon trainer must be super strong and disciplined to travel a whole region with dangerious "pocket" monsters, carrying a 100lb backpack full of crap. He has to climb mountains, go into snow without bundling up, sand storms, and im sure all of the wild pokemon he encounters pose a threat to him. If the trainer faces a pokemon that uses surf for example, im sure the trainer might sometimes be in the way and maybe get knocked out by being hit by powerful wave. Or when all the pokemon in his party faint, he whites out. How long does it take someone to come along and see some trainer lying on the floor whited out with his last fainted pokemon somewhere not too far from him. If the trainer whites out in the snow or sand storm, im pretty sure he can die, and his body never be found....or if he whites out in the ocean and sinks to the bottom...

whiting out eh, then you have lost the game...

But that's besides the point. Although the trainer blacks/whites out when he loses his pokemon, I don't think he actually falls unconcious, I mean, the trainers he face don't get knocked unconcious themselves (except a swimmer I know...) So it's just a saying to make it impossible to continue. And in the 4th generation, what happens when you are blinded is explained. The trainer runs to the last pokecenter he was in and heals his pokemon. So he doesn't get knocked out. He runs like Sonic across the wilderness, somehow avoiding every pokemon that tries to attack him, dropping money like a bad case of diarrhea. So that pretty much explains what happens when you lose the game...

Now, on to the several legendaries mystery. Yes, legendaries appear in different scenerios throughout the anime. Clearly pointing out that there are several of Deoxys, Lugia, Shaymin, the Regis, and even Celebi. With hints that there are several of other legendaries, such as Darkrai, Regigigas, and the bird trio (especially Moltres, due to the appearences in the Richie specials). The rest are supposedly 1-of-a-kind, though it is possible to get away with several of other pokemon. It's a bit more complicated with the games, since there are supposed to be one of each if it's an honest game. Though you can have two Arceuses or other legendaries through the power of trade and haxing. So that can't count.

Now, my own mystery. If Mew is part of every pokemon in existance/recorded, why does it assume the form of a little pink pixie?

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
Mew is supposed to look like an embryo as all vertebrates look almost identical upon conception hence Mew being the embryo of the Pokemon species. Its tail would then represent the umbilical cord.

Legendary Pokemon in general, I think, reproduce asexually in order to continue the species as I doubt any of them are immortal except maybe Arceus and those other super-legends that control the world.

Now, on to the several legendaries mystery. Yes, legendaries appear in different scenerios throughout the anime. Clearly pointing out that there are several of Deoxys, Lugia, Shaymin, the Regis, and even Celebi. With hints that there are several of other legendaries, such as Darkrai, Regigigas, and the bird trio (especially Moltres, due to the appearences in the Richie specials). The rest are supposedly 1-of-a-kind, though it is possible to get away with several of other pokemon. It's a bit more complicated with the games, since there are supposed to be one of each if it's an honest game. Though you can have two Arceuses or other legendaries through the power of trade and haxing. So that can't count.
This: http://morganchan.deviantart.com/art/Rare-Commodity-48915325

I question the HM Dive in R/S/E. While I admit it was the coolest HM in existence, How's the trainer stayin' underwater that long without proper equiment? Breathing's the biggest concern here, but what about the stuff in your backpack?

Also this: http://morganchan.deviantart.com/art/Pidgey-Express-47604805

Sir Red

Charms' Caped Crusader
Also the pressure of diving into the ocean would kill the character.

As for the Mew discussion earlier, supposedly there were once only Mews, and the pokemone Arceus created in the world. Then over time the Mews evolved and became all of the other species. And apparently humans evolved from Mew as well...

My question is, if humans evolved from Pokemon, why are they the dominant species? I mean, pretty much any pokemon could kill off hundreds of humans. But instead they serve under humans and do their bidding; taking commands like they are slaves. Something ain't right about that.

Okay, after seeing what Trop pointed out, there are there are more Mews than there are Lapras and Rotom.

Now, I shall bestow upon you underlings the secret to Mankind's success. In both the pokemon world and human world...

Humans. Are. Too. Stupid. To. Live. Properly.

That's why they cheated by building houses, polluting waters, and hunt animals on a whim.

The humans of the pokemon world are pokemon themselves, but the worse ones to ever tread on the Earth. They technically know many normal moves like Scratch, Tackle, Growl (though they fail at it...), and even Bite (technically an egg move). See? Don't they have terrible moves, and bad stats to match as well? Even a Magikarp could be stronger than them. They just cheated by throwing a bunch of pokemon in balls/apricorns and decided that they could make them kill each other for human entertainment.

In fact, I think me and Cyrus finally have something to agree on about that. Although he just wants a world where everyone worships him...

The best answer I can come up with regarding the TM/HM thing is that there's a machine that you put both your Poke Ball and TM/HM disk into and it transfers the info regarding the move to the Pokemon.

The humans of the pokemon world are pokemon themselves, but the worse ones to ever tread on the Earth. They technically know many normal moves like Scratch, Tackle, Growl (though they fail at it...), and even Bite (technically an egg move). See? Don't they have terrible moves, and bad stats to match as well? Even a Magikarp could be stronger than them. They just cheated by throwing a bunch of pokemon in balls/apricorns and decided that they could make them kill each other for human entertainment.
They're called opposable thumbs. We win :p

Though yes, I do agree with your basic point. Pokemon being the animals of their world mean humans are technically Pokemon in the Pokemon world, and it seems canon supports this, with some of the creation myths stating that Pokemon and people used to be one, which could be a reference to the rise of human civilization.

Legendary Pokemon in general, I think, reproduce asexually in order to continue the species as I doubt any of them are immortal except maybe Arceus and those other super-legends that control the world.

Sorta like pheonixes. ("And the world shall turn to ash." teehee Pokemon2000 reference) When one dies an egg is left with the same genetic code within the carcass of the deceased. Or possibly it could be similar to cell division.

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
I just found this thread, so please enjoy an epic reply of doom ;).

Bunsen burners, when on their lowest heat setting, emit a yellow flame that can actually come into contact with the skin without inflicting burns, and also cannot set stuff like paper or fabric on fire either. ... Also, since the bunsen flame can be regulated, turning into a roaring, blue flame that is very hot at maximum intensity, I'd imagine Ponyta/Rapidash can do the same

Really? I have a degree in chemistry and I have to say that I've never met a yellow Bunsen burner flame that couldn't set things on fire! It takes longer for the fire to get started due to its lower temperature, but the yellow flame can certainly burn things, causing a lot of soot to be produced because it's an incomplete combustion reaction.

The reason the yellow flame is used in labs is because it's visible (luminous - it gives out light), meaning that people can see that the burner is on and know to avoid the flame. The blue or roaring blue flames are almost invisible (non-luminous) and in a noisy lab, you can't hear which burner the sound is coming from.

The interesting thing is that a roaring blue flame is made of two components. If you look at it carefully you'll see a central "cone". This part of the flame is only oxygen and there is no combustion reaction happening there. It's possible to poke an thin object like a pencil into the cone and have it sit there for minutes, unburnt. (I DON'T RECOMMEND FINGERS!! Most people's fingers are too fat to fit fully within the cone and burns at 700-800 degrees C are non-trivial.)

I wonder if in the science of the Pokemon universe, there are parts of the Fire-types' flames that are safe to touch in this way? And Trainer learn where these parts are for their own Pokemon? I imagine that many accidental burns would occur for a newly-caught Pokemon, and when your friend evolved...

[quote author=Arceus Lord link=topic=6000.msg106917#msg106917 date=1244923969]
Why do Water types, who are found in water, need HM Surf to swim? Granted most Water-Types are amphibeous (Butchered the spelling), some still require swimming.
[/quote]

I don't think they do. They can swim perfectly well as they are. But they need to be taught the move Surf in order to be able to carry a heavy human on their backs while they swim.

[quote author=.:*Imploder*:. link=topic=6000.msg107116#msg107116 date=1244990215]
[/quote]

Maybe there are no fossils of Mew? In real life fossilisation is rare and occurs only in certain environmental circumstances - for example, if the animal died and fell to the bottom of a lake, where it was covered with layers of sand/dirt and eventually became part of a sedimentary rock. We know that the fossil record is very incomplete, which is why it's not possible to "prove" evolution except for simple organisms like bacteria with very rapid reproductive cycles.

I'm also thinking that perhaps all of the other Pokemon evolved from Mew. Although I don't really like the "unstable DNA" argument of Eevee - if an organism truly had unstable DNA, it would be more likely to develop unfavourable mutations like cancer than to change into another useful species.

[quote author:pheonix link=topic=6000.msg106107#msg106107 date=1244585819]
Do you think the fish pokemon would be able to breath out of water? Could they survive on land for short periods of time, not very mobile of course, but at least be able to drag themselves along with their fins or whatnot?
[/quote]

The game canon suggests they can - after Cyrus releases the Galactic Bomb, tons of Magikarp are left flapping on the bed of Lake Valor. They seem to stay there happily for many game days.

[quote author=ulises87g link=topic=6000.msg107444#msg107444 date=1245126635]
yea, i could imagine that the pokemon trainer must be super strong and disciplined to travel a whole region with dangerious "pocket" monsters, carrying a 100lb backpack full of crap.
[/quote]

I've always assumed that the Trainer's stuff is miniaturised in the same way that the Pokemon are. There's some sort of ball that allows you to compress items. I'm sure for the Pokemon it's done by taking most of the water out of cells, and this would work too for objects made of recently-living materials such as cotton or wood. (And if water is this free in the Pokemon universe, that would explain how the Water types acquire water from thin air in their attacks). But I have no idea how you could miniaturise the metal burner and saucepans that Brock carries around. I guess he must carry them as they are, explaining why most Trainers simply eat at the Pokemon Centers or in the towns.