• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

The Mysteries of Pokemon

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Having just started a new fanfic, a handful of questions have arised as usual. How do certain attacks work/look when being used? What motions would certain Pokemon do when flying/moving? And sometimes I ponder biology/physiology related things, like the Anime concept of Ponyta's flames only burning creatures it considers a threat. The questions are numerous, and I can't always come up with the answers on my own. Pretty sure I'm not alone with that either.

May it be questions you'd liked answered to improve your writing/art/etc. or simply to satisfy your own curiosity, feel free to use this topic as a portal for answers and sharing/comparing ideas (whether they're personal concepts or facts straight from the games/Anime/manga series, etc.). Just try to be open-minded =)

Edit: As Jeydis pointed out below, this is not a "Let's bash the writers/creators" thread. It's about sharing ideas of how things work.

Anyways, two things I've been wondering lately, and I'm not sure if either has ever been officially stated/shown:

- How exactly does Porygon2 move? The 'dex says it can't fly like Porygon & Z, so would it just hop? Maybe rotate its 'legs' around as it moves along the ground? Or something else entirely. Since its never been seen in the Anime we can't even use that as a reference XD

- Like mentioned above, anyone have a take on the idea of the flames of Ponyta/Rapidash (or any other Fire-type really) not burning the people they trust? The only place I've ever seen it addressed was the Anime, and it never really explained how.

And that's it from me for now. XD

As much as we have to go off of on the Dex entry for the Porygon line, I have to believe they all have the ability to hover. Self propulsion a couple feet off of any surface is probably the most they can handle, but, at least in my mind, it isn't limited to any particular surface orientation, aka it will work on walls and ceilings. I actually liked Carmen's take on the Porygon line in her fic Chronicles of Giselle Valentine and it works fairly well with what we do know about how the line works in general.

As for the fire types, the only thing I can think of is that the fire is essentially an extension of their body (in most cases like a tuft of hair/mane or whatever) so it can be regulated as such by the body. Yes it flares up when the go all super saiyan to do a powerful attack, but for the most part it should be able to be controlled. I imagine it is sorta like the ability to control your heartbeat and stuff like that, but much more immediate response because they are actually part elemental creatures.

As to the rest of it, I find the anime/movies quite good at showing movement references and how attacks interact with each other and the environment. They have shown that many attacks have real world use, though in those instances I believe many of the pokemon use a much lower power attack than what they would use in battle.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
As much as we have to go off of on the Dex entry for the Porygon line, I have to believe they all have the ability to hover. Self propulsion a couple feet off of any surface is probably the most they can handle, but, at least in my mind, it isn't limited to any particular surface orientation, aka it will work on walls and ceilings. I actually liked Carmen's take on the Porygon line in her fic Chronicles of Giselle Valentine and it works fairly well with what we do know about how the line works in general.

The thing about the line is that Porygon Z was supposedly manipulated because of Porygon2's short-comings, right? To completely ignore the movement changes with the evolution would seem wrong... Still, there is a difference between hovering and flying, so maybe Porygon2 can hover, say, a few feet off the ground while Z can move more freely? (Not sure about Porygon itself) That'd seem a bit truer to its original purpose imo, but maybe I'm taking what you said the wrong way. I'll need to look into how Carmen handled it since I haven't read that far in her fic :)

While it's true that the Anime is a great resource for movements/attack references, it doesn't always explain things as well as it could. Sometimes how the attacks actually occur is vague, so putting them into words becomes a bit tricker (like how some Pokemon seem to just summon a Sand Storm out of nowhere, while others actually create it from their bodies). Then there's the issue of many attacks having never been used before or very rarely seen (Miracle Eye comes to mind for me). If it has been shown already, I must have missed the episode. So yeah. Sometimes, I still need to look to other fans for ideas ^^;

That's a pretty cool insight on the Fire-types, and one I could certainly agree with. I've always seen Pokemon as being more than just regular animals with strange powers. It'll definitely make things easier writing around my Ponyta, too.

Thanks for all the input, Pheonix ^^

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
I'd say the area of Pokemon that makes me wonder the most is how Nature works. As in Pokemon eating other Pokemon. It's mentioned, but as far as I know (having not watched the anime since Johto started), it's never been shown or addressed. Lets take a Gorebyss 'Dex entery for example - in this case from Sapphire:

Although Gorebyss is the very picture of elegance and beauty while swimming, it is also cruel. When it spots prey, this Pokémon inserts its thin mouth into the prey's body and drains the prey of its body fluids.

Imagine taking your prized water Pokemon for a dip in the ocean, only to find they've been disemboweled and drained. For Nature to work, Pokemon must be eating each other all the time. They're only ever seen eating Pokemon food. Plus, they must have all those weapons/attacks for a reason other than serving humans in battle. Kind of ruins the cuteness...

I like Pheo's description of how fire types work. That seems to work for me. As they control its intensity they can also control how hot the fire is.

On the descriptions of attacks, having not seen any of the new moves I'd be completely in the dark as to how some of them look if I were to write a fic. Especially on moves like Heatwave from Honchkrow... not sure how that'd be pulled off XD

Last edited by a moderator:

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
One thing of note about the flames on Ponyta and Rapidash takes me back to the Chemistry lessons I had in 6th form college. Bunsen burners, when on their lowest heat setting, emit a yellow flame that can actually come into contact with the skin without inflicting burns, and also cannot set stuff like paper or fabric on fire either. I'd imagine the flames on Ponyta and Rapidash can be regulated similar to a bunsen burner flame, allowing a trainer to ride the species without being burned/set on fire. Also, since the bunsen flame can be regulated, turning into a roaring, blue flame that is very hot at maximum intensity, I'd imagine Ponyta/Rapidash can do the same, turning their manes and tails into blazing, white hot flames that can burn anything that threatens them.

In accordance to what Bulbapedia has to say on Heat Wave it has apparently been used twice in the anime. It is apparently some type of breath attack which is unusual for most flying types to use. But either way it makes more sense than flapping madly and creating a heat wave, though I do imagine that most flying types will make it work their own way by adding wind power to it. ^_^

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
Loving the Bunsen Burner analogy, KoL ^_^

Funnily enough, I find the breath attack weirder than beating their wings. I just can't image Honchkrow, or any bird for that matter, breathing fire. I know in game that Icy Wind looks like a breath attack, but I always image that as Murkrow flapping really hard, so the air becomes icy cold and freezes the water in it.

Another attack I thought about was Gastly using the elemental punches. That seemed odd when I first found he could learn them. However, I can kind of see it working. With his ghost-powers he could easily shape his energy into a fist, like fist made out of fire and then punch with it. Wouldn't really be a physical attack in that sense though XD

Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness always makes water Pokemon float, as if they were in water. The Anime doesn't. I've always found water pokemon weird in that way, the fish anyway. Goldeen looked fine from what I remember, but I really can't imagine some Pokemon on land in the same way. If they do float, then how do they float?

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness always makes water Pokemon float, as if they were in water. The Anime doesn't. I've always found water pokemon weird in that way, the fish anyway. Goldeen looked fine from what I remember, but I really can't imagine some Pokemon on land in the same way. If they do float, then how do they float?

Personally, I don't think they technically would float in a more realistic situation. The 3D games seem obsessed with the idea of making certain Pokemon float around, but it's probably just to make them seem more lively on the battle field. It's kinda like the concept of big bulky Pokemon being able to fight while you're surfing... Realistically, it just wouldn't happen. They'd be as land-bound as certain Water-types would be water-bound.

There's always ways to work around it, though... If a leg-less Water Pokemon was really creative it could potentially generate water around/under itself through certain attacks, creating something akin to a hover board to help it move more freely on land. That'd be kinda stretching it for certain Pokemon (or any Pokemon that lacked the concentration/stamina to keep a technique like that going), but I could see it being done... especially with Rain Dance in effect XD

Sem

The Last of the Snowmen
Former Administrator
[quote name='Teh Magpiez]Another attack I thought about was Gastly using the elemental punches. That seemed odd when I first found he could learn them. However' date=' I can kind of see it working. With his ghost-powers he could easily shape his energy into a fist, like fist made out of fire and then punch with it. Wouldn't really be a physical attack in that sense though XD[/quote']

Attack names are simply set things for convenience for me; they're not to be taken that literally. Buneary punches with its ears, but we don't bother to say FIRE EAR or anything, because that sounds silly.

Every pokemon has its own way to attack, Gastly could very well be headbutting something when uses a "Punch" attack. Or he could morph his main body into a fist or bud an arm. Ghosts are flexible. XD

This is just my mind set when I'm writing, others may see it differently but that's how I explain it. ^^; Just gotta imagine how whatever pokemon is attack would attack.

The anime had the right idea with the water types in the way they showed their use. Unless they had some kind of appendage or body form that let them be at least semi amphibious, they didn't fight, or for that matter weren't ever called out by their trainers (think about Misty for the most part), unless there was a large enough body of water around to use.

As to the ghost thing, Sem pretty much said it. As long as whatever they do still translates into whatever the physical motion is, it doesn't matter what body/energy part they use to pull off the attack.

I'd say the area of Pokemon that makes me wonder the most is how Nature works.

Pokemon really defies the laws of nature. How can a rat lay an egg?
It does say no one has ever seen a pokemon lay an egg, but it gives no explanation on what does happen. Maybe the magic shiny Pelliper takes the egg to them. ;D

[quote author=Linkachu link=topic=6000.msg98788#msg98788 date=1241193914]

- How exactly does Porygon2 move? The 'dex says it can't fly like Porygon & Z, so would it just hop? Maybe rotate its 'legs' around as it moves along the ground? Or something else entirely. Since its never been seen in the Anime we can't even use that as a reference
[/quote]

Sucks that they wouldn't put Porygon in the episodes just because of the seizure incident. The anime really is the only place to see how pokemon move. I think I've seen a Porygon levitate in Platinum. I'm just not sure which one.

Ok, one thing that I can think of that I can't cope with... On the pokedex on D/P it says that after evolution porygon-Z "began acting strangely". Anyone have any idea what it's talking about, it doesn't give much of a clue...

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Ok, one thing that I can think of that I can't cope with... On the pokedex on D/P it says that after evolution porygon-Z "began acting strangely". Anyone have any idea what it's talking about, it doesn't give much of a clue...

The general assumption seems to be that it was infected with a virus. Whether that's ever been stated canonly or not I'm not sure, but the 'dex entries and the item used to evolve Porygon2 seem to be hinting at something like that.

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
What I've always thought regarding Porygon Z is that the Dubious Disk is a boot leg or hacked program that was compatable with Porygon 2 and when dowloaded into one messed up the original Porygon program. Evidence can be seen in how Porygon Z looks like a glitched P2.

Something that has always gotten to me is Diglett and Dugtrio and how no one knows what their bodies look like. I can understand that if you send them out in the field they'd instantly burrow, but what about indoors especially on upper levels like the 2nd or 3rd floor? Would they simply break through the floor leaving a big gapping hole when returned to their Pokeballs? Also, wouldn't someone on the lower level see their bodies if they did break through? And to go even further, with only their heads sticking out, wouldn't gravity pull them through to the lower level any way? Thus concludes my wall of text.

I've got one. Is there an actual reason why the three birds of Kanto end in "Uno" "dos" and "tres"?
And also, why's rattata a mouse pokemon when it has "rat" in it's name?

I've got one. Is there an actual reason why the three birds of Kanto end in "Uno" "dos" and "tres"?
And also, why's rattata a mouse pokemon when it has "rat" in it's name?

Are you serious? The writers need to come up with names when they create new Pokemon so the obvious thing is the try and come up with something clever that represents something. The birds are part of a trio hence the uno, dos, and tres.

One that always stood out to me was Ekans and Arbok, when you turn them around it's Snake and Kobra.

Guys you shouldnt diss pokemon names too much, its both spammy since it has nothing to do with mysteries really and honestly its nice when the name relates to the pokemon in some way rather then being random. And I actually never noticed the uno dos tres thing, and I find it pretty neat :p

A mystery I was pondering about today: When a Mawile eats does it use its large mouth or its small mouth? And where does the food go either way. Its not like with Girafarig where the rear head is concious of its actions to a points since here MAwile is fully incontrol of both mouths.

I can probably dig some more up as they come up in my own fanfic :p

In my opinion, a Mawile can use either mouth to eat food, and have preferences based on their personality. Maybe the more gentle Mawile prefer to eat with their small mouths like a well-mannered pokemon. While the hasty and rash ones eat with the large mouth to finish it quickly so it can do whatever it wants to do (while eating the bowl as well). And yes, I believe both mouths link themselves to one esophogus (sp) at some point before the stomach.

On to the pokemon name criteria. Yes, nintendo didn't just want to come up with spontaniously random names for pokemon, and tried to match them to something relevant to animals, characteristics, or even the above in different languages. Take Pikachu and Raichu for example, I think chu is mouse in Japanese, not sure. But Pika is lightning in Japanese and Rai is Thunder in Japanese, referring to their types.

Now a question of my own, can there be any two Spinda with the exact same patch pattern? I know that each Spinda has its own unique patch pattern. But, humans are all just as different. There are about 5 billion different combinations of genes possible in a human, while there are nearly 30 billion people in the world at this point, numbers may vary. That means for each one person has at around 5 look-a-likes. With that fact out, would it be possible then for 2 Spinda to have the exact same patch pattern, if there were enough Spinda in the world that is?

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Added an edit into the first post, but restating it here...

Jey's right, GodlessM/Snagglux09. I don't want this topic filled with pointless Pokemon Company/Anime Dub/etc. bashing. That's NOT the point of this topic. The thread's about pondering over various concepts and being creative. So, no bitching in this thread, please. If anyone else does it from here on in, I'm deleting the offending posts. All they do is break up the flow of the topic :p

As for the Mawile question, after reading the 'Dex entry I'm a bit curious. Can Mawile actually eat with those steel horns, or are they just there to cause damage but not actually ingest anything? (Like, they can tear through steel yet don't actually swallow it) It's the positioning on its head that makes me wonder this. I could see the horn breaking rocks apart/tearing up its prey, then Mawile would use its hands and smaller mouth to actually eat.

As for the Spinda question, I think the possibility of identical Spinda occurring is about as likely as the possibility of two people having the same fingerprint (which, according to what I just read from various sources, doesn't happen). Even if you were to base Spinda markings on their genes alone, we're assuming too much to say that Pokemon and humans have identical numbers of genes. Their genome may be much more elaborate than ours. If that's true, the chance of identical Spinda markings may be so unlikely that the 'Dex statements hold true.

(Sorry, had to edit my answer once gaining more information. I didn't realize how unlikely it was for two people to share the same fingerprint because I wasn't 100% sure how they worked. Spinda markings, to me, probably aren't based on environmental factors, though... At least that's what I'd assume. It depends what their markings actually are: simply skin pigmentation, or something more? Maybe like a fingerprint, a Spinda's markings are actually a factor of both DNA and development within their egg/mother's womb? How that'd work though I'm not sure, aside from them having incredibly sensitive skin that can become blemished easily during the developmental stages...)

One thing I've always wondered is how my lovely little Vaporeon/water pokemon of choice managed to use Surf anywhere it wanted to. I mean, even when I'm confronting Granny in the E4, in a room probably well above sea level and constructed primarily from steel with rock and dirt used as the basis for decoration, where the hell does this colossal tidal wave come from? D:

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Like some of us said above, I don't think realistically that some Pokemon could do that out of water or without a nearby source. Unlike the games, the Anime actually doesn't try to pull a lot of that sort of stuff (ie. non-landable Water-types moving freely on land).

But, that said, it all depends on how you view a Pokemon's control over water and whether or not it's produced within their own body, drawn from the air around them, or completely magical in origin. Whirl Pool in the anime is a HUGE, condensed spiral of water that Piplup can direct at its targets through the air, and as realistic as you could try to make that one sound... it really is fairly unbelievable by our physics.

To me, I could see a Water-type generating water around them both via particles in the air and their own bodies. The water would collect - the amount and speed of collection depending on their skill level and environmental conditions - alllowing them to ride it like a wave (a Surf attack). I don't see a Pokemon being able to do this nearly as effectively within dry environments, though. They'd either be unable to create a big wave, or they'd quickly use up all of their body moisture with repeated usage - or both.

on the Mawile thing: I agree with Katie. I don't think its steel horns are attached to anything that would let it digest any food what so ever.

One thing that interested me is the mechanism behind Infernape's head flame. I will assume it's more like the explanation behind Monferno's flame (whatever it may be) than Chimchar's.

I sorta forgots those where horns too, thanks for the refresher guys :p makes it alot simpler to write.

For the Surf question I picture it a bit like Aqua Jet in the anime, water forming under the pokemon in a line and rising up into a tidal wave thats under the pokemons control. I beleive a Rhydon used Surf in a quite dry arena in the anime and thats pretty much how it happened.

A great classic here that I have yet to disucss on charms, what do you guys beleive Diglett looks like fully exposed?

For the Surf question I picture it a bit like Aqua Jet in the anime, water forming under the pokemon in a line and rising up into a tidal wave thats under the pokemons control. I beleive a Rhydon used Surf in a quite dry arena in the anime and thats pretty much how it happened.

Aaaah, good point. That's exactly how Piplup uses Surf in Brawl as well. I completely forgot about that.

As for what Diglett/Dugtrio look like? I'm not even sure I want to know. I'm going to attribute the mysterious dirt to the Pokemon summoning it from hammerspace. ^^

I still have yet to figure out how Geodude is floating. In a topic that's long dead, I asked the same question and ended up stumping everyone XD

Today I shall teach you three things:
1.What diglets look like
2. How geodudes float
3.Why I am not an artist

Ok, now to kill two birds with one stone, lessons 1 and 3!

Diglett.jpg

Ok, nows time for lesson two. I got this off of wikipedia

Dynamo theory describes the process through which a rotating, convecting, and electrically conducting fluid acts to maintain a magnetic field. This theory is used to explain the presence of anomalously long-lived magnetic fields in astrophysical bodies. The conductive fluid in the geodynamo is liquid iron in the outer core, and in the solar dynamo is ionized gas at the tachocline. Dynamo theory of astrophysical bodies uses magnetohydrodynamic equations to investigate how the fluid can continuously regenerate the magnetic field.

So maybe geodude is filled with rapidly rotating liquid iron, which produces the magnetic energy to levitate. What do you think?

In my opinion, a Mawile can use either mouth to eat food, and have preferences based on their personality. Maybe the more gentle Mawile prefer to eat with their small mouths like a well-mannered pokemon. While the hasty and rash ones eat with the large mouth to finish it quickly so it can do whatever it wants to do (while eating the bowl as well). And yes, I believe both mouths link themselves to one esophogus (sp) at some point before the stomach.

On to the pokemon name criteria. Yes, nintendo didn't just want to come up with spontaniously random names for pokemon, and tried to match them to something relevant to animals, characteristics, or even the above in different languages. Take Pikachu and Raichu for example, I think chu is mouse in Japanese, not sure. But Pika is lightning in Japanese and Rai is Thunder in Japanese, referring to their types.

Now a question of my own, can there be any two Spinda with the exact same patch pattern? I know that each Spinda has its own unique patch pattern. But, humans are all just as different. There are about 5 billion different combinations of genes possible in a human, while there are nearly 30 billion people in the world at this point, numbers may vary. That means for each one person has at around 5 look-a-likes. With that fact out, would it be possible then for 2 Spinda to have the exact same patch pattern, if there were enough Spinda in the world that is?

Really?
I always thought Pikachu's name deprived from the animal "Pika" :O

I wouldn't look at the show as the be-all-and-end-all of what moves would look like. Especially the D&P series, which I think really screws the pouch on moves.
Like Swift. The show now has Swift as perfectly rendered stars shooting from the Pokemon. Realistically it would probably look like bursts of energy that are vaguely star shaped.
And Bubble/Bubblebeam. In the show they are now comprised of what seem to be combustible bubbles. I would imagine realistically they would be more like actual bubbles.

As for fire types not burning people they trust, yeah, I kinda dismiss that. It doesn't make a lot of sense :-\

Just like in the game, aquatic pokemon need to be able to battle anywhere, otherwise it would eliminate a good chunk of water types even being able to be used without a body of water around for them to occupy. The more realistic outlook on this is that most of the fish type pokemon wouldn't be used by their trainers unless there was a body of water they could release their partners into. I can't see a flopping fish being very effective.

This then also then brings up another point. Do you think the fish pokemon would be able to breath out of water? Could they survive on land for short periods of time, not very mobile of course, but at least be able to drag themselves along with their fins or whatnot?

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
As for fire types not burning people they trust, yeah, I kinda dismiss that. It doesn't make a lot of sense :-\

Guess it all depends. Some of the views given earlier on that subject made fairly good sense, especially in a Pokemon context. To me, they're not just regular animals with funky powers. If you didn't view them somewhat as elementals then Water-types in particular wouldn't make much sense at all (that's how I've always viewed them at least).

And yeah... I think the Water-types-battling-out-of-water-in-the-games thing has been stated a good number of times now. The games do it for simplistic reasons. For PBR in particular, it'd just over complicate things if they had to display a body of water each time a Water-type was used. Instead, they opt for fishes floating or flopping around on land-based arenas.

Pheo, that's a good question. By the Anime logic, it seems like Water-type Pokemon can survive for extended periods of time out of water, but that doesn't really make much sense for the really fish-like Pokemon, eh? My only guess would be that even they have some sort of lungs or specialized gills that allow them to breath oxygen to some degree.

[quote author=Agent Zero link=topic=6000.msg106104#msg106104 date=1244584716]

Guess it all depends. Some of the views given earlier on that subject made fairly good sense, especially in a Pokemon context.[/quote]
Yeah, I suppose that the Fire types could regulate the temperature and intensity of the flames depending on who's touching them. Still though, even a "mild" flame is going to hurt.
I guess it would be possible to lower the intensity of the flame to a point where it wouldn't be that bad, however.

To me, they're not just regular animals with funky powers. If you didn't view them somewhat as elementals then Water-types in particular wouldn't make much sense at all (that's how I've always viewed them at least).
I've always viewed them as at least semi-sentient animals with funky powers. In that not only do they posses elemental powers, but they're also, on average more intelligent then "regular" animals.
Of course I've always seen Pokemon as the animals of their universe, there are no "regular" animals in the Pokemon world, just Pokemon. That's just me though.

And yeah... I think the Water-types-battling-out-of-water-in-the-games thing has been stated a good number of times now. The games do it for simplistic reasons. For PBR in particular, it'd just over complicate things if they had to display a body of water each time a Water-type was used. Instead, they opt for fishes floating or flopping around on land-based arenas.
If you're writing a fan fic I would recommend that the Water-types that seem like they would have trouble on land are presented as such. It just makes for better writing, I think. There's putting aside reality for the sake of the story, and then there's just pushing the bounds of reason. I think a fish functioning perfectly on land falls under the latter.
Now as for "well that would make a good deal of Water-types pointless" I have this to say; not necessarily. You have to figure that a trainer who would want to use these types of Water Pokemon in large numbers would also be in favour of specializing in water-based arenas/battling locations.
For those who aren't, but still want a Water type for their team, there are plenty of good/great Water types that seem like they can function just fine on land.

Pheo, that's a good question. By the Anime logic, it seems like Water-type Pokemon can survive for extended periods of time out of water, but that doesn't really make much sense for the really fish-like Pokemon, eh? My only guess would be that even they have some sort of lungs or specialized gills that allow them to breath oxygen to some degree.
There are some species of fish that do indeed have a basic lung system or specialized gills that allow for them to function on land for at least limited periods of time. So it's not that far fetched that fish-like Pokemon would have those respiratory systems as well.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I've always viewed them as at least semi-sentient animals with funky powers. In that not only do they posses elemental powers, but they're also, on average more intelligent then "regular" animals.
Of course I've always seen Pokemon as the animals of their universe, there are no "regular" animals in the Pokemon world, just Pokemon. That's just me though.

Pretty well agree, although I view Pokemon as completely sentient creatures - some of them just think more deeply about their actions than others. I think when some Pokemon bond with humans they're given a new view on life, above that of their own guiding instincts - thus begin acting more human. The potential for such thought was always there, they just did not utilize it in a human-like way.

The Pokemon being the ''animals of their universe" concept seems to have evolved with time, and I'd be willing to agree with it now. But then again... Deoxys is supposedly a Pokemon even though it's from outer space, which again can lend to the concept that all Pokemon were originally aliens and the planet the series takes place on was once inhabited by different creatures entirely. These Sinnoh myths really add a new spin on things, but who's to say Arceus wasn't originally from another planet as well? Intriguing concepts we're not likely to ever have officially stated.

Pretty well agree, although I view Pokemon as completely sentient creatures - some of them just think more deeply about their actions than others. I think when some Pokemon bond with humans they're given a new view on life, above that of their own guiding instincts - thus begin acting more human. The potential for such thought was always there, they just did not utilize it in a human-like way.
Yep, I'm with you 100% there. Couldn't have said it better myself.

The Pokemon being the ''animals of their universe" concept seems to have evolved with time, and I'd be willing to agree with it now. But then again... Deoxys is supposedly a Pokemon even though it's from outer space, which again can lend to the concept that all Pokemon were originally aliens and the planet the series takes place on was once inhabited by different creatures entirely. These Sinnoh myths really add a new spin on things, but who's to say Arceus wasn't originally from another planet as well? Intriguing concepts we're not likely to ever have officially stated.
The planet Pokemon takes place on is Kobol from Battlestar Galactica :p

On a more on-topic note I agree, as more Pokemon have been added the reference to regular animals have been removed, making Pokemon the animals of their world. Which is for the better, I think. It makes for a smoother story.
As for Deoxys, I just look at through the lenses of our world. If an alien creature landed we would probably treat it as an animals unless it proved otherwise. So it's kind of the same in the Pokemon world.
Humans view it as a Pokemon because it's a living, sentient creature that isn't human. A space Pokemon, sort of like say, a space animal in our universe.

Sinnoh myths pretty much boil down to something along the lines of a neo-pagan animal/nature faith/religion that exists within the Pokemon world, but that's just my take on it.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
On a more on-topic note I agree, as more Pokemon have been added the reference to regular animals have been removed, making Pokemon the animals of their world. Which is for the better, I think. It makes for a smoother story.

Agreed there, even if it does mean humans are eating Pokemon meat, lol.

The thing I find really interesting about Deoxys is that it's an alien creature, but PokeBalls work on it. To me, that above all else is what defines it as a Pokemon, yet you'd think that an alien wouldn't necessary share the same DNA patterns as creatures from another planet, eh? Or maybe I'm assuming too much there. It just makes me wonder where exactly the line between humans and Pokemon genetics can be drawn to prevent PokeBalls from catching humans, too XD

Heh. Nice discussion. ^^

Heh. Nice discussion. ^^
Indeed ;D

Agreed there, even if it does mean humans are eating Pokemon meat, lol.
LOL, I rationalize that by saying there's a high volume of vegetarians in the Pokemon world.

The thing I find really interesting about Deoxys is that it's an alien creature, but PokeBalls work on it. To me, that above all else is what defines it as a Pokemon, yet you'd think that an alien wouldn't necessary share the same DNA patterns as creatures from another planet, eh? Or maybe I'm assuming too much there. It just makes me wonder where exactly the line between humans and Pokemon genetics can be drawn to prevent PokeBalls from catching humans, too XD
Good point. My theory is that the company that makes Poke Balls programs them not to work of they register human DNA. If it's used on a Pokemon/animal that doesn't have human DNA it's going to work on it.

Considering its Arbok too...

I think if you didn't know that and you considered yourself a Pokemon fan then you'd be excommunicated too.