• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Suggestion

I was wondering if perhaps instead of always responding or liking posts to show you're there you could Add a read button. It would be next to comments on the top righthand corner.

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Hmm. I see an immediate problem here - if people aren't clicking the Like button, why would they click a Read button? And to flip it around, there would be nothing to stop them clicking the Read button without actually looking at the work properly. Once you've realised those issues, what you have got is basically another Like button. Really, if someone's looked at your work and cared enough to push a Read button, they would just click Like anyway.

Now, if you're asking for different ways to react to a work than Liking it or commenting on it, that's a different ramble. :p

Perhaps a better way to attack this problem would be to have it be automatic: if a logged in user visited a work, they'd get registered as having "read" it. The work's creator could, potentially, be able to click a button somewhere in the work to see a list of who viewed, and how many users have.

There are two problems with this idea, too: Firstly, how much information are you getting from this list of users? After all, if I went to a story, and clicked away without reading it, I'd still show up in that list - making it an inaccurate list of who actually consumed your content. There's no mechanical way of us figuring out if someone's actually stuck around and properly looked at the work, or read through the story, sadly.

Secondly, you'd have overlapping functionality - works already have a rudimentary view counter if you want to get a rough idea of how many people have clicked your work. And if they want to stand up and be counted, they should Like or comment! :)

What I do sense is that creators want to know more about how their works have been interacted with - what works well, what doesn't, and so on. That is something I am actively thinking about how to implement, and features similar to this could end up being a part of it.

Thanks for the suggestion! And please, feel free to let us know if you have any more suggestions for the site. :)