• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

R/S/E the favoured Pokemon Collection?

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I'm sure other people have noticed the lastest polling on Pokemon.com. As of now it looks something like this:

Pokemon Red, Blue, Yellow: 10%
Pokemon Gold, Silver, and Crystal: 11%
Pokemon FireRed and Leaf Green: 15%
Pokemon Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald: 64%

Total Votes: 78, 954

That's a whopping lead for R/S/E, and even Gen 2 is more popular than the original trio. Does this strike anyone as odd or was it to be expected? I always thought people chose FR/LG over R/S, and Emerald hasn't really been out long enough to cause a big impact on its own. Of course this can't be accurate of every fan, but 64% over 15% is pretty significant no matter what way you look at it.

Thoughts?

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Explain :p

And I assume that means you'd disagree with the results, but again... Over 35,000 votes in favour of R/S/E is beyond any margin of error.

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
My first thought in reading any statistic based on a net poll is "Do they have some way to stop double-clicking?".

Any poll that allows people to vote over and over again isn't worth the screen space, imo. Too easy for the kiddies to vote 20 or 30 times to boost their idea higher in the rankings.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I guess that's why such the large difference intrigues me. If people can vote multiple times, yeah, they'd be biasing the vote, but obviously if the lead is that much higher it's more than just that.

Okay... Say we ignore the credibility of the polling, saying there is a chance it's totally off. What do you guys think about the idea that R/S/E is the better collection? Because, personally, I fully agree. After replaying FR/LG and getting bored, Hoenn certainly is my favourite region without a doubt. Emerald makes up for all of R/S weaknesses, too.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Well, to be fair, if they did the poll properly and asked about Generations rather than games - then Generation 3 is without a doubt my favourite.

It's been the most expanded, look at what we've done over the last 2 and a half years:

Been to Hoenn and discovered 135 new Pokemon
Been to Orre for our very first 3D Pokemon Adventure (Whatever the problems that followed it)
Been back to Kanto and experienced them for the first time with a proper upgrade - the way Kanto SHOULD have been if they could have done it 10 years ago.
Been to the brand new Sevii Isles
Been back to Hoenn for a brand new adventure and the brand new (and quite amazing) Battle Frontier.

The amount of depth in Generation 3 is huge, the amount of effort put into it is huge. There are plenty of reasons to say why this Generation would be anyone's favourite because there are so many levels upon which to find a favourite in.

It's surprising that years after the fad has died, the series is actually simply getting bigger and stronger. If anything, the fad held it back.

Generation 4 should be even more awesome, but there are still plenty of reasons why Generation 3 would be people's favourite.

That said, nothing on Pokemon.com should be taken seriously anyway - and they can't even ask the question right. So, meh.

Prof. Cinders

Mathemagician
Staff member
Administrator
In my opinion, gen. 3 is definitely the best so far. And I don't think we can leave a margin that back to be just an error. As the Doc states above, we have so much thanks to this generation, and everything is indeed better. And I also voted in that little poll.

If anything, I can't wait until gen. 4 comes out... *jumps around on seat insanely* They just HAVE to improve this to top the previous gens, but from what I've seen and heard, it's gonna be the best of them all so far... *hops around room on seat* Meh, I want it NOW!

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Well, whatever you've seen or heard is wrong.

:p

The only details we have on Generation four are thusly:

They'll be on the DS
They'll be called Diamond and Pearl
They'll feature Gonbe, Lucario, Usohachi, Manene, Manyula among others
They'll use the DS to it's 'full capacity'
They'll give us an adventure never before possible in Pokemon.

That's it. ^^ We havn't even seen a single screenshot of the game yet.

Let's hope E3 changes that.

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
I've been playing Ruby again after Sapphire, Leaf Green and Fire Red, and I have to admit that I actually prefer Ruby & Sapphire to Leaf Green and Fire Red. Ruby & Sapphire just seem to be less linear, with less parts where you HAVE to do something before something else unlocks (like finding the Tea to give to the guards so you can shortcut between cities, or being dragged over to the Sevii Islands and having to find the lost girl). I didn't really enjoy the Sevii Island sidequest anywhere near as much as I should have, because it was "compulsory" - I HAD to complete it if I wanted to trade with my other games. So, by the end of it, I was just desperately trying to level up my pkmn enough to defeat the Rocket Goons and get the Sapphire Plate to get the hell out of there. I've tried going back to the Sevii Islands and exploring a bit more, but I just get this feeling of "eurgh, not here again" which puts me off.

Also with Ruby & Sapphire, it seems like there's more to do other than the main plot - berry growing (which I love), contests (which I like a lot, but hardly have time for), the side quests that are not essential but you can do for fun (Shoal Cave, shards, Itemfinding etc), the Secret Bases (only 16 items? Argh!). Emerald has that, and more.

FR & LG were great, and I like the small improvements over Ru & Sa - things like the neater font, and being able to rearrange items between Pokemon in boxes rather than having to put those Pokemon into your team to do it - and I definitely liked getting all those "new" Pokemon into my game. But I'm enjoying Ruby a lot more.

I like FireRed and LeafGreen better than Ruby, Sapphire or Emerald, just because I'm a nostalgia geek.

On Dr. Oak's point, looking back at Generation 3, I can barely remember what Generations 2 or 1 were like... :shock: (Let's hear it for GoldenSkies and SilverySeas Versions!)