• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

PokeMondrian

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
Finally, the first page of my new website is done: PokeMondrian

At some point there will be an actual site there with content, like my faq for Pokemon Channel which is currently only up on Pokemon FAQs, but it'll all be stuff not currently covered by any of the existing Pokesites. And lots of PokeMondrians. Assuming I get enough free time to make more... :roll:

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Piet Mondrian (March 7, 1872 — February 1, 1944) was a Dutch painter and an important contributor to the De Stijl art movement, which was founded by Theo van Doesburg. Despite being well-known, often-parodied, and even trivialized, Mondrian's paintings exhibit a complexity that belie their apparent simplicity. The non-representational paintings for which he is best known, consisting of rectangular forms of red, yellow, blue, or black, separated by thick, black, rectilinear lines, are actually the result of a stylistic evolution that occurred over the course of nearly thirty years, and which continued beyond that point to the end of his life.

Interesting ^^

I like the picture you used on your page. Simple yet intriguing, just like the definition above said ;) The quality is very nice, too. I hope you do get around to making more. I'll be looking forward to it :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
baratron said:
my faq for Pokemon Channel which is currently only up on Pokemon FAQs

It'd be awfully nice to be able to use any Channel Stuff you have here - otherwise it's unlikely to be covered as I have no intention on wasting time and money getting it and having to 'play' it. ^^

Nice site too, did you draw that pic yourself?

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
The actual inspiration came after my friend Michael had been to Japan - you remember I posted photos of the stuff he brought back for me? I had the three bags from the Pokemon Center spread out over the living room table - one red with Torchic on, one blue with Mudkip, and one yellow with Pikachu - and Tim came in and said "It looks just like a Mondrian painting" (we've been mad about Mondrian since seeing one of his paintings on the easel in The Sims, and visiting various modern art museums). Not content with that, he said "It's a Pokemon Mondrian... hey, a Pokemondrian!". So I had to make it happen.

I am not really an artist, but what I can do is manipulate existing images (sprite art, and photographs - my default lj userpic is a colourised photo of me). I took a photograph of the original Mondrian painting, knocked out most of the colours, and drew over the top. The Pokemon are line drawings from the various Pokemon Coloring Books, hue shifted from black & white to e.g. dark & light blue. I have several more Mondrians that I'm working on. The next one'll probably be a legendary one with Mew, Celebi and Jirachi.

The main focus of the site will be the Pokemondrians themselves, and stuff that's too weird/geeky for any of the existing sites. The kind of stuff only I care about ;). Plus my Support Group for Adult Fans Of Pokemon, although I'm not sure whether I'll even get as far as a web forum or mailing list. I'm not exactly quick at getting round to doing things... the rest of my website hasn't been updated since 2001.