• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Pokemon Ranger: Shadows of Almia Questions

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
My apologies if these questions have already been answered. I had a quick browse through some older threads, but having never played the first, I'd like to know a couple of things before deciding whether to buy a copy. I also realise that the game hasn't been released in the US/UK yet, but maybe those who've played the first will be able to offer educated guesses...

Question One

The 17 partner Pokemon are all well and good, but I'd like to know if other Pokemon can permanently travel with you. I know from pictures/bits of info that you need Pokemon with Field abilities, some of which in pictures aren't listed as partner Pokemon. Can others travel with you, or are they only able to travel with you when a mission requires their ability?

Question Two

I've seen a couple of reviews saying that the catching method has damaged their tough screens. Has that happened to anyone here? I don't want to damage my DS.

Question Three

If you've played the original, was it any good? The Darkrai mission is what kind of made me think this game would be worth getting, to transfer onto D/P. But I don't want to buy the game, hate it and never get that far.

If anyone can shed some light on these questions, that would be great. Again, if these have been answered please let me know and I'll lock/remove the topic. Thankies ^^

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
I can't say anything for the first two questions, but for the third, I can say I played the original Pokemon Ranger for Manaphy, ended up hating it and never actually reaching the end of the game to get Manaphy at all. I'm still getting Almia just out of curiosity to see if it is any better, but I wouldn't count out never actually reaching the end of the game due to dislike.

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
That's exactly the thing I'm worried about. There's no point buying a game to get a Pokemon I never end up getting XD

Plus, the mission to get Darkrai will probably only be obtainable through Wi-Fi, and they never hold any events near me. The closest is usually Chesterfield, but getting the time to drive there on the days available is always a no-go

Before I answer the first question, it may contain a spoiler for some people who haven't played the frist one yet, but it's not a big deal or anything. Just skip the fisrt answer if you really don't want to know it...

To answer the first question, after you beat the game, you can keep Pokemon with you, just once you use their power, they are gone, so I guess it's kinda like keeping them...

To answer the second question, mine never got damaged, but I had a screen protector, so that may have been why. But the screen protector wasn't damaged either, so I don't know if it would matter having it on or not.

And third I kind of liked the game, personally. It was a different twist on Pokemon, so it was kinda fun. The story line wasn't bad, and the battle system was ok; once again, it was different. The very ending was the only thing I didn't really like, but hey, it wasn't that bad. :p

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
To answer the first question, after you beat the game, you can keep Pokemon with you, just once you use their power, they are gone, so I guess it's kinda like keeping them...

I'm not too sure I understand that, but you're saying that I can only keep none-partner Pokemon with me after I beat the game? That's a big strike against it in my opinion, I don't really like many of the partners. And you're also saying that if I have a Floatzel, my partner and a Geodude with me, if I use Surf Floatzel disappears? Not liking that if that's the case either.

Yeah, that would be the case with the partner Pokemon. Once you reach a certain point, you can take them with you. So, say you took a Blaziken in the first game. It can either use it's assist move during a capture, or burn a log or something.......Anywho,

Say you use it in the capture, Blaziken goes bye-bye, but you can always go and capture another. Or, if you use it's field move, it also goes bye-byes. Unlike the partner Pokemon, who can use the Assist during capture, and still follow you. No matter how hard you try to get away, that friggin Minum(And or Plusle) just....keeps.....following you.........*Explodes into a fury of fear for tiny math-teaching Pokemon*

I'm not too sure I understand that, but you're saying that I can only keep none-partner Pokemon with me after I beat the game? That's a big strike against it in my opinion, I don't really like many of the partners. And you're also saying that if I have a Floatzel, my partner and a Geodude with me, if I use Surf Floatzel disappears? Not liking that if that's the case either.

[quote author=Cody *implodes* link=topic=5089.msg78693#msg78693 date=1225822345]
Say you use it in the capture, Blaziken goes bye-bye, but you can always go and capture another.
[/quote]

Oh, yeah, I forgot to metion that you could always go back to the same spot and capture another one. I don't know how much you know, but you don't have to to train a (for example) Torchic into a Blaziken. You could just find a wild Blaziken. I don't know if that makes it any better in your opinion, but it may make a difference. *shrugs*

To answer question one:
Although I don't have the game, I saw screenshots that showed the male ranger with a regirock in the town. Thus, I believe when you capture a pokemon, you can take it anywhere. But I don't know if you can only do this when you beat the game.

Question two:
It shouldn't. If it didn't with the first, why would it with the second. I'd say it is more secure for your touch screen than blending berries. And there is that you can take the stylus off at anytime, it might be because they slam it back onto the screen as if the stylus was a pick-axe. So it depends on how gentle you are with your DS

Finally, question three:
I am afraid that I haven't played this one or the original, but I can guarentee that it can get rather boring at some parts, the rangers spend too much time in the academy in my opinion, and you don't get a partner pokemon until afterwards, so it can be a little boring at some points, but what points is unknown to me.

These questions have been to the best quality a plucky teen like me can get them to be. I hope it's good enough for you Magpie

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
Say you use it in the capture, Blaziken goes bye-bye, but you can always go and capture another. Or, if you use it's field move, it also goes bye-byes. Unlike the partner Pokemon, who can use the Assist during capture, and still follow you. No matter how hard you try to get away, that friggin Minum(And or Plusle) just....keeps.....following you.........*Explodes into a fury of fear for tiny math-teaching Pokemon*

I'm disliking that greatly... letting me catch something then making it disappear if I use it. Plusle and Minum are one of the reasons I didn't play the first. I don't like them. *divides them together and waits for them to cancel each other out*

Although I don't have the game, I saw screenshots that showed the male ranger with a regirock in the town. Thus, I believe when you capture a pokemon, you can take it anywhere. But I don't know if you can only do this when you beat the game.

I've seen that screenshot and it got my hopes up. I'm really hoping that the gameplay has changed from the first game.

I thought that... I try to look after my screen so I guess that's a none issue. As for boring gameplay, I enjoyed Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time, which was rather repetitive at times. However because I had a team I liked, it wasn't so bad.

Your answers have been very helpful, thankies ^^
I guess I might have to wait for a few people to get the American version, they'll be able to say for definite if I can keep Pokemon with me.

For the first game at least you have to beat the game first before you can take friend pokemon with you anywhere. Before you beat it though the friend pokemon are released if you go into a different area(ie. from a cave to a field). The friend pokemon are the ones you catch in the wild and the ones that disappear after you use the Assist or field move(some cannot use Field or assist moves and are simply there to look cute I guess). The partner is the one that you can never get rid of no matter how many times you use an assist, in the first it is Plusle or Minun depending on the character's gender.

It takes Patience to beat the game though(took me FOREVER). Let me know if you have anymore questions and as for liking the game or not is just an opinion, I like it personally, though the Plusle/Minun do get annoying but they are useful.

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
I really hope the second one isn't like the first, because I'd like to play it, but I don't think I'll like it if the Pokemon I 'catch' just don't mean anything. Thanks for your reply ^^

Anyone who gets the game tomorrow (10th November)

I'd be very grateful if someone could let me know how the second game plays, and whether it is the same as the first regarding 'catching' Pokemon. It's due to be released in the UK on the 21st of November I think, and I'd like to know whether or not to look forward to it XD

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Just an extra opinion. I own the first Ranger and it didn't really destroy my touch screen (I didn't have a protector either). My old DS's bottom screen does have a lot of scratches on it, but I think it's more from other games. Still... any repetitive motion like that could put your screen at risk if you press down too hard. Getting a protector with the game might not be such a bad idea, and they're relatively cheap for a pack.

As for your 3rd question... I'm really skeptic about whether to buy Ranger 2 myself, because what happened to KoL is basically what happened to me with the original. Sometimes it's super easy... other times, it's frelling tough and frustrating (it feels unbalanced). I just didn't have the patience to see it through =/ Still, I've heard Ranger 2 plays a bit differently in that aspect, so I might still get it just to see for myself.

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
I may invest in a screen protector, although I am careful with the screen anyway. I never press very hard, but like you said, a repetitive motion can't be good for it.

I can honestly say I've really enjoyed playing Mystery Dungeon 2, which until I bought it about a month ago I thought I'd hate. It's always got such mixed reviews, with a lot of people saying it's boring and repetitive. I took a chance and loved it. The problem with Ranger is that the Pokemon are limited. I've loved Mystery Dungeon 2 because I've really enjoyed recruiting my favourite Pokemon and building them into a great team. If I can only choose from 17, and then can't have others with me, I doubt I'll see the game through...

As for the 17 Partner Pokemon...

Starly Never been a fan, not keen on him really
Pachirisu Despise it
Munchlax Don't mind Munchlax, he's ok
Kricketot Despise it, it annoys me
Croagunk Don't like it, the 'shudder' it does in its animation on D/P freaks me out
Mime Jr. Totally and utterly despise it
Cranidos He's ok, I almost like him
Sheildon Meh, not much of an opinion on him
Chimchar Don't like monkeys very much *gets bricked*
Sneasel I'll accept Sneasel, I quite like her
Snover Meh, again not much to say
Misdreavus Don't like her
Machop Never been a fan
Piplup Don't like
Turtwig Don't like him, but I like him most out of the D/P starters
Hippopotas Weird design. Not a fan
Gible

Machop Never been a fan
What? You don't love me? :'(

Anyway, looking at your list, you definatly hate most of the chosen pokemon as partner pokemon, so I think I should take the opportunity to list how useful each pokemon is in when using their assist (P.S. I mentioned that I don't have the game and use sites like Serebii to help me know what each assist can do):

Starly/Flying Flying can be useful if you're skilled with the styler and can make circles without connecting over a long period of time. It involves making circles to produce whirlwinds that hurt the pokemon inside. This can be powerful if you use it the right way
Pachirisu/Electric As much as you can despise it, it utilizes the famous electric assist which is famous for stunning foes, it's easy to use and highly recommended for a first play-through
Munchlax/Normal Definatly the weakest one, despite it's cuteness. The normal assist only slightly increases damage given. Fighting assists are much better for this kind of strategy (see Machop for more details)
Kricketot/Bug I'm unsure how much I recommend the xylophone insect, but I can say that his assist is pretty dang fun. You get to play spider-man with your styler, it produces the same effect as the electric assist when it makes contact, whether it's better is unknown, but this one definatly needs a good aim
Croagunk/Poison As annoying as it's animation is in D/P, it somewhat makes up for it with a giant puddle of toxic waste. This is one of the charging assists, you will get to flick it a bit and slow your foe's attacks for a short time (and does damage of course)
Mime Jr./Psychic I kinda understand your plight, Mime Jr. is a psychic, so when you make a circle (anywhere), you get to flick it, it can be quite useful for fast moving pokemon if you choose the right spot to make it
Cranidos/Rock Rock assists are chargers, so you get to charge up a bunch of rocks and throw them at your opponent. The simplest of the charging assists
Sheildon/Steel He can use his assist to let you circle (once again, doesn't have to be around the pokemon) and form an energy ball, then flick it. Same effect as Croagunk's poison assist, but harder to use and does more damage
Chimchar/Fire Why don't you like monkeys? Either way, a fire assist means one circle; one pokemon going to the oven. Simple yet quite effective
Sneasel/Dark Poor Sneasel getting the smaller end of the stick. Her assist only allows you to circle an obstacle in the arena and make it dissappear, but it can be useful to clear some room when you want to use some of the other assists.
Snover/Ice When you rotate it (just move it round and round) a snowball will build up under your stylus, you will be able to throw this at your opponent and freeze them. This is useful in the same way as electric, but harder and probably more efficient
Misdreavus/Ghost Pity that you don't like her, she gets to call up spirits. Circle when you are away from other pokemon and shadowy spirits appear. These can do damage to pokemon when they make contact. Now there are obstacles for the pokemon to watch out for
Machop/Fighting This is the most efficient of the simple moves, do one circle for double damage! I like Machop and his assist, but this is up to you
Piplup/Water Water assists imply the same methodology as ice, except the bubble that appears can slow down your opponent while doing decent damage.
Turtwig/Grass This is a pretty useful assist to have, it creates grass on the field that slows down the pokemon when they walk on it, giving you a wide berth to strike
Hippopotas/Ground This is one heck of a fun move. When you move the stylus on the screen, you make the ground shake and does damage while slowing down attacks. Best of all, you get to make circles while you're doing this.
Gible/Dragon make as many

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
*Hugs Brendan*

I think my dislike of Machop stems from my younger days when my younger brother also used to play Pokemon. He loved Machamp and never shut about how powerful it was etc. Just got on my nerves. Plus I'm not a fan of stereotypical 'macho' men, whom I think are slightly symbolised by Machop and his evos XD

Your logic for using Pachirisu makes a lot of sense, but I really can't stand it. Maybe I'll give it a chance if I get the game, but it will be grudgingly. Going on what you've said though, Starly would be my choice at the beginning.

Chimchar/Fire Why don't you like monkeys?

I tell a lie, it's mostly the Ape family I don't like. Some monkeys, like Golden Lion Tamarins and Spider Monkeys are too cute and I love those, so saying I don't like monkeys is a slightly incorrect statement. I've just never liked the Ape family, or Baboons, and I'm not really sure why...

Thanks for all that information, it will be really helpful should I choose to get the game - which I probably will now. There's no harm in giving it a go I guess. Thanks for your help ^^