• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Ask to Join Pokémon Discussion Thread

Then we're at

A: 5
B: 6

62h6ze.jpg
They’re all scared to see me fight at full power lmao

ig if i gotta be a tie-breaker again then I'll throw in w/ B, cuz i think a move limit forces you to be more creative through self-restriction and strategy; personally, i'd have even gotten behind full, gameset restrictions (4 moves, limited PP), but i understand why this is likely not the most popular ideology out there lmao.
Thing is about Option B is that it’s kinda like a soft cap. The only limit is actually the moves you have. What people can do is just choose the most OP set and spam the shit out of it cuz there’s no actual limit to the amount of times moves can be used themselves. On the other hand, option A is more of a hard cap because each move has a limited usage. Plus, if we’re going by Kyuu’s old system, the strongest moves have very limited usage.

Thing is about Option B is that it’s kinda like a soft cap. The only limit is actually the moves you have. What people can do is just choose the most OP set and spam the shit out of it cuz there’s no actual limit to the amount of times moves can be used themselves. On the other hand, option A is more of a hard cap because each move has a limited use. Plus, if we’re going by Kyuu’s system, the strongest moves have very limited uses.
He's got a point. Some extremely good moves are limited by accuracy and that isn't as much of a factor in RP.

With Halay-Alae (Esther's Houndoom) as an example, when sifting through moves its hard to pick anything other than Inferno. 100 Base Power and 100% for Burn? Pretty hard to pass on that.

Which is why I would tend to prefer PP limitations, but I think the thing with move spamming is that its effect is the same as in, say, NAU; whether your moves are technically limited by PP or not, somebody is going to have a problem with either the spamming itself, or the fact that a fight has dragged out long enough ("you gotta get hit eventually", etc.), that PP limits themselves could end up superfluous.

IE, even the 10 PP moves like Protect and Fake Out have in game, it's very, very easy for someone to stall with those sorts of tactics, but after like four or five in RP someone's gonna be like, "ok can we just do something else"

Which is why I would tend to prefer PP limitations, but I think the thing with move spamming is that its effect is the same as in, say, NAU; whether your moves are technically limited by PP or not, somebody is going to have a problem with either the spamming itself, or the fact that a fight has dragged out long enough ("you gotta get hit eventually", etc.), that PP limits themselves could end up superfluous.

IE, even the 10 PP moves like Protect and Fake Out have in game, it's very, very easy for someone to stall with those sorts of tactics, but after like four or five in RP someone's gonna be like, "ok can we just do something else"
Yeah I’d definitely support PP limits along with limited movesets, otherwise it’d be way too easy to make god level pokemon sets

that being said, I’m happy to settle for just move limits. I don’t really see battles going long enough to make PP matter unless one Pokémon is beating like 3 in a row

It seems like that’s basically relying on RPers to get fed up with unlimited usage to stop spam. I don’t really know how to respond to that. NAU is more like Choice A anyways since we have unlimited move selection, but not unlimited chakra. Except choice A is much more limited.

In any case, it’s either choice A or B. If you want actual limits with along with the freedom of selection , then A is the better choice here.

It seems like that’s basically relying on RPers to get fed up with unlimited usage to stop spam. I don’t really know how to respond to that. NAU is more like Choice A anyways since we have unlimited move selection, but not unlimited chakra. Except choice A is much more limited.

In any case, it’s either choice A or B. If you want actual limits with along with the freedom of selection , then A is the better choice here.

except in NAU we also went over jutsu limits, remember

A definitely has wayyyyyyyy less limits, especially if it’s not an energy system like sync and instead just individual PP for each move

Sure, Arcanine might run out of fire blast but I can also use Flamethrower, overheat, heat wave, and flame burst to achieve similar effects, some coming with their own advantages. Not to mention I would be able to use any of his coverage moves.

A only works well with a standard energy system where each move drains it a certain amount depending on its power, which would get really hard to keep track of and turn chakra-y. People are gonna end up spamming just as much with A as they would with B, but they’ll be able to spam the best move for any given situation

There’s no limit in verse to just tell someone to stop learning jutsu. That would like be nerfing Orochimaru for trying to master every jutsu in existence lel

did Orochimaru learn every jutsu in existence? being capable of accomplishing it doesn't mean you can or will. Orochi literally had to extend his life unnaturally. that he even comes close is a great accomplishment in its own right. like the point of his character is that he has a goal not naturally obtainable?

did Orochimaru learn every jutsu in existence? being capable of accomplishing it doesn't mean you can or will. Orochi literally had to extend his life unnaturally. that he even comes close is a great accomplishment in its own right. like the point of his character is that he has a goal not naturally obtainable?
More like trying to learn every jutsu would be flat out impossible if there was already a set limit in verse. However, the soft cap was that human don’t have a long enough life time to learn everything. After breaking past that limit, he could’ve went on to learn every jutsu.

A definitely has wayyyyyyyy less limits, especially if it’s not an energy system like sync and instead just individual PP for each move

Sure, Arcanine might run out of fire blast but I can also use Flamethrower, overheat, heat wave, and flame burst to achieve similar effects, some coming with their own advantages. Not to mention I would be able to use any of his coverage moves.

A only works well with a standard energy system where each move drains it a certain amount depending on its power, which would get really hard to keep track of and turn chakra-y. People are gonna end up spamming just as much with A as they would with B, but they’ll be able to spam the best move for any given situation
Only thing A allows is more choice at the cost of usage. Sure, you get multiple options to achieve a similar effect, but you’re also limited for each option for possibly an entire day if you don’t visit a Pokémon center. Even then, your options will get worse and worse each time you run out of the previous one, which means you need to more away of the moves you’re using and when you are using them.

Meanwhile, choice B allows you to spam the best option with no limits every time without having to worry about running out of PP. Even with granting more coverage, you’re still gonna get like all the coverage you need within 8 moves. So not only do you get coverage, you can spam that too. Again, the only limit is the amount of moves you have, but like stated by someone earlier, it’s not that hard to pick out a quality set for a Pokémon. Then at that point, you can just spam it all since there isn’t a limit.

Choice B is literally just access to the best moves with no limits.

More like trying to learn every jutsu would be flat out impossible if there was already a set limit in verse. However, the soft cap was that human don’t have a long enough life time to learn everything. After breaking past that limit, he could’ve went on to learn every jutsu.

Ok but you see where I'm going with my point, right? Pokemon still learn moves. They still have to take the effort to train, which is where a majority of move learning happens. It's still something happening in-character, where the Pokemon are growing and getting better.

In the infinite moveset version of things, you can just teach them every TM they could possibly learn and you have every move they learn via level up and that's where the balance can get lost here. You don't have to balance what a Pokemon knows at a given time, nor balance your own knowledge of your team's move-sets.

Ok but you see where I'm going with my point, right? Pokemon still learn moves. They still have to take the effort to train, which is where a majority of move learning happens. It's still something happening in-character, where the Pokemon are growing and getting better.

In the infinite moveset version of things, you can just teach them every TM they could possibly learn and you have every move they learn via level up and that's where the balance can get lost here. You don't have to balance what a Pokemon knows at a given time, nor balance your own knowledge of your team's move-sets.
What you have to balance is how you use each move. For example, 5 PP moves would only be able to be used twice in like a day with no recovery. You can every move they can possibly learn, but actual limits on the amount of times they can be used. Use flamethrower 5 times and it’s done. Blast burn twice. Inferno twice. Heat wave like twice. Nearly all the top tier fire moves used up for the day in under 15 moves.

Like you said, they also have to take the time learn each and every move they’re trying to learn. It’ll arguably take years and years to supposedly get every possible move for just one Pokémon. Meanwhile with the other option, you just learn 8 moves and then training is over.

I disagree that the training is over lmao. What if there's a mix of A and B, though? Like, during official, sanctioned World Coronation battles, there's an 8 move limit, with the PP limit; but, battles outside of the WCS could theoretically be fair game? And, of course, characters can choose to battle using WCS rules if they want, which could even lead to the conflict of like...someone using a sneaky 9th move or something idk lmao

I disagree that the training is over lmao. What if there's a mix of A and B, though? Like, during official, sanctioned World Coronation battles, there's an 8 move limit, with the PP limit; but, battles outside of the WCS could theoretically be fair game? And, of course, characters can choose to battle using WCS rules if they want, which could even lead to the conflict of like...someone using a sneaky 9th move or something idk lmao
Would be a solid compromise if most battle weren’t gonna be outside the WCS. As it stands, the current setup means when most characters do run into each other, it’ll likely be during official events.

My stance is closer to what Kyuu said in that it should be one or the other. Otherwise we’re still going to be debating limits even after the fact, which will just be another headache. Whichever one wins should stand for the rest of the RP. I’m fine with either option here as long as they don’t change, so it won’t bother me.

Name: Quentin Wilder
Trainer Class: Amateur Scientist/Tinkerer

Physical Appearance: Slightly above average in height, with a moderately athletic build and fair, even skin.
A thick head of wavy, burgundy hair- roughly pushed back to keep it out of his face.
His charcoal eyes are large and inviting in appearance- though this is almost always hidden behind a slightly skeptical looking furrowed brow.
The tips of his fingers are heavily scarred, mostly due to various electrical burns he attained during his ‘studies’ in years past.
Clothing: He often wears a collared, black and white jacket with the sleeves rolled up to his forearms. Underneath said jacket is a simple, dark-purple t-shirt. His legs are covered by a set of standard, well-made, charcoal jeans. His feet are protected by a set of shoes that seem to represent a perfect mesh of his above attire, consisting of black, slip resistant sneakers with white trim and purple etching.
He carries a moderately sized, dark brown duffel bag slung over his right arm.

Personality: He possesses a natural aptitude for studying most fields of science. He’s definitely an ‘out of the box’ thinker, and is highly motivated to prove himself as a creative mind.

While he is rather quick-witted, there’s no denying Quentin also possesses an affinity for trouble.
He never has any real ill-intent, but sometimes getting a closer peek at things that fascinate him requires him to overlook ‘keep out’ signs.

He’s rather socially inept; spending most of his younger years either studying with his father, or studying in private. His only genuine social companion, other than family, had been ‘Grendel’.
And while his little Teddiursa certainly had a personality-and-a-half, it still didn’t quite match the intricacies of socializing with those his own age.
What’s more, Q is severely lacking in confidence as a trainer- even for a rookie. He wasn’t even interested in battles until Grendel made his interest in the topic known.

In short, he’s a bright young man who’s willing to learn so much more.

Backstory: Q was lucky to say he had a relatively good life growing up. His father was a mechanical engineer who performed maintenance on Olivine City’s Lighthouse, while his mother was an ex-trainer and a full-time parent. Overall, the Wilder household was known for being a hard-working, forward thinking family, and Q was no exception to this.
Only…his skills manifested in a somewhat problematic fashion.

By age two, he was a master of slipping out, over, and around baby gates and cribs.
By five, he’d figured out how to work the breaker box, so he could watch television late on school nights.
By age seven, he figured out how to use laser lights to interfere with his teacher's projector remotely.

Having taken notice of his sons ‘crafty’ nature, Mr. Wilder decided to start teaching his son everything he knew about engineering, hoping that giving his boy a form of creative outlet would guide his mind. What’s more, he gifted his son a Teddiursa as a friend who could help him while working. Little did Mr. Wilder realize he would be setting his son up for the rest of his life.

The young man spent his next few years learning under the guidance of his father, all the while tinkering with small projects here and there. This showed the him that he had deep passion for all forms of scientific study.
As he continued to work under his father, he independently studied various other facets of the scientific world in private.

His first truly successful project had only just recently been completed, and was made specifically for the start of his journey.
He calls it the X-Gear, his combination of Unova’s Xtransceiver and Johto’s Pokegear. It’s essentially an Xtransceiver with an additional flip-screen and an updated interface- but he’s quite proud of it nonetheless.
As one might expect, it has all the functions of a Pokegear and an Xtransceiver, with the addition of a flashlight function simply because he had the extra space.

He’d originally planned to venture out in hopes of discovering new technologies and improving his social skills, but thanks to the persistence of his scrappy Teddiursa, he would also be signing up for the Pokémon league.
Shortly before he hit the road, the soon-to-be trainers mother gifted him with something unexepcected- a Pokémon egg. He had almost no experience when it came to raising an egg or battling, nor did he even have a great idea as to where he should begin, but his mother had full faith in him. She expected him to nuture the egg as he honed his own skill and she was willing to put him to the test.
Now, equipped yet uncertain, Q set out to begin his journey.

Pokémon
Species:
Teddiursa
Nickname: Grendel
Level: 10
Ability: Quick Feet

Description: A bit smaller than an average Teddiursa; standing at around 1’10” tall and weighing approximately 18.5 lbs.
His fur is always a bit ruffled up as he thinks it makes him look more intimidating.

Personality: Grendel is a little ball of fire. Much to the opposite of his trainer, the little bear Pokémon likes to fight first and ask questions later.
He shares an interesting relationship with Q as they’ve never really acted like a ‘pet and owner’- oftentimes coming off as squabbling siblings.

Moves
  1. Belly Drum
  2. Fake Tears
  3. Lick
  4. Scratch
  5. Fury Swipes
Species: Unidentified Egg

Last edited:

In the infinite move set version of things, you can just teach them every TM they could possibly learn and you have every move they learn via level up and that's where the balance can get lost here. You don't have to balance what a Pokemon knows at a given time, nor balance your own knowledge of your team's move-sets.
TMs cost A LOT of money and there's a money system. While you have every move available they're managed by splitting things into TRs (single-use) and TMs (infinite use). The prices in the shop are all for single-use TRs and they run in the tens of thousands range. While it's certainly going to be possible to earn money to buy TRs/TMs I doubt any Oc will earn enough to buy everything they want.

Somewhat of a workaround is using the move tutor system, where you can have your pokemon move tutors moves to each other, but you'll have to catch and RP out the whole process of learning these new moves and I think I made it clear in the rules that this wasn't something that could be done in a few short posts.
I actually really like this idea :?

Name: Quentin Wilder
Trainer Class: Amateur Scientist/Tinkerer

Physical Appearance: Slightly above average in height, with a moderately athletic build and fair, even skin.
A thick head of wavy, burgundy hair- roughly pushed back to keep it out of his face.
His charcoal eyes are large and inviting in appearance- though this is almost always hidden behind a slightly skeptical looking furrowed brow.
The tips of his fingers are heavily scarred, mostly due to various electrical burns he attained during his ‘studies’ in years past.
Clothing: He often wears a collared, black and white jacket with the sleeves rolled up to his forearms. Underneath said jacket is a simple, dark-purple t-shirt. His legs are covered by a set of standard, well-made, charcoal jeans. His feet are protected by a set of shoes that seem to represent a perfect mesh of his above attire, consisting of black, slip resistant sneakers with white trim and purple etching.
He carries a moderately sized, dark brown duffel bag slung over his right arm.

Personality: He possesses a natural aptitude for studying most fields of science. He’s definitely an ‘out of the box’ thinker, and is highly motivated to prove himself as a creative mind.

While he is rather quick-witted, there’s no denying Quentin also possesses an affinity for trouble.
He never has any real ill-intent, but sometimes getting a closer peek at things that fascinate him requires him to overlook ‘keep out’ signs.

He’s rather socially inept; spending most of his younger years either studying with his father, or studying in private. His only genuine social companion, other than family, had been ‘Grendel’.
And while his little Teddiursa certainly had a personality-and-a-half, it still didn’t quite match the intricacies of socializing with those his own age.
What’s more, Q is severely lacking in confidence as a trainer- even for a rookie. He wasn’t even interested in battles until Grendel made his interest in the topic known.

In short, he’s a bright young man who’s willing to learn so much more.

Backstory: Q was lucky to say he had a relatively good life growing up. His father was a mechanical engineer who performed maintenance on Olivine City’s Lighthouse, while his mother managed a Pokémon Food manufacturing service near the outskirts of Olivine. Overall, the Wilder household was known for being a hard-working, forward thinking family, and Q was no exception to this.
Only…his skills manifested in a somewhat problematic fashion.

By age two, he was a master of slipping out, over, and around baby gates and cribs.
By five, he’d figured out how to work the breaker box, so he could watch television late on school nights.
By age seven, he figured out how to use laser lights to interfere with his teacher's projector remotely.

Having taken notice of his sons ‘crafty’ nature, Mr. Wilder decided to start teaching his son everything he knew about engineering, hoping that giving his boy a form of creative outlet would guide his mind. What’s more, he gifted his son a Teddiursa as a friend who could help him while working. Little did Mr. Wilder realize he would be setting his son up for the rest of his life.

The young man spent his next few years learning under the guidance of his father, all the while tinkering with small projects here and there. This showed the him that he had deep passion for all forms of scientific study.
As he continued to work under his father, he independently studied various other facets of the scientific world in private.

His first truly successful project had only just recently been completed, and was made specifically for the start of his journey.
He calls it the X-Gear, his combination of Unova’s Xtransceiver and Johto’s Pokegear. It’s essentially an Xtransceiver with an additional flip-screen and an updated interface- but he’s quite proud of it nonetheless.
As one might expect, it has all the functions of a Pokegear and an Xtransceiver, with the addition of a flashlight function simply because he had the extra space.

He’d originally planned to venture out in hopes of discovering new technologies and improving his social skills, but thanks to the persistence of his scrappy Teddiursa, he would also be signing up for the Pokémon league.
He had almost no experience when it came to battling, nor did he even know where to begin, but if Grendel was confident, he’d have to be confident as well.

Pokémon
Species:
Teddiursa
Nickname: Grendel
Level: 10
Ability: Quick Feet

Description: A bit smaller than an average Teddiursa; standing at around 1’10” tall and weighing approximately 18.5 lbs.
His fur is always a bit ruffled up as he thinks it makes him look more intimidating.

Personality: Grendel is a little ball of fire. Much to the opposite of his trainer, the little bear Pokémon likes to fight first and ask questions later.
He shares an interesting relationship with Q as they’ve never really acted like a ‘pet and owner’- oftentimes coming off as squabbling siblings.

Moves
  1. Belly Drum
  2. Fake Tears
  3. Lick
  4. Scratch
  5. Fury Swipes
Looks good. Accepted!
Actual fax lmao

Which is why I agree with Kyuu in it being non debatable after the fact. Just gotta stick with the choice you make.
I never said non-debatable? If you have a fair point then you have a fair point. Not encouraging people to double down on a bad idea if they think there's a better one. Also not encouraging people to switch decisions every other minute tho.

Keep in mind that any battle, in any location, can be a World Coronation Series battle through the use of Rotom Drones.

I do like the idea of setting a PP & Move Limit for World Coronation Series Battles. You might have more moves under normal circumstances but then you'd need to select a set number of moves (probably 8 ) for your World Coronation Match. It would allow you some flexibility of setting a different set of moves for different battles based on your opponent while still producing creativity in the battles that have...well, consequence.

This would only apply for World Coronation Series battles though which means it might be different when fighting against villainous characters.

Conversely, we can reduce the number of moves in WCS Battles. Like you usually have 8 moves at your disposal? in WCS you have to pick 4 to deal with the opponent.

Keep in mind that any battle, in any location, can be a World Coronation Series battle through the use of Rotom Drones.

I do like the idea of setting a PP & Move Limit for World Coronation Series Battles. You might have more moves under normal circumstances but then you'd need to select a set number of moves (probably 8 ) for your World Coronation Match. It would allow you some flexibility of setting a different set of moves for different battles based on your opponent while still producing creativity in the battles that have...well, consequence.

This would only apply for World Coronation Series battles though which means it might be different when fighting against villainous characters.

Conversely, we can reduce the number of moves in WCS Battles. Like you usually have 8 moves at your disposal? in WCS you have to pick 4 to deal with the opponent.
I don’t see why every Pokémon wouldn’t just share the same BiS move set for that. 4 moves is really limiting. It’s just Pokémon Showdown RP at that point.

I don’t see why every Pokémon wouldn’t just share the same BiS move set for that. 4 moves is really limiting. It’s just Pokémon Showdown RP at that point.
The 4 moves were an example, I did note it'd probably be 8. It would just allow for more moves outside of WCS battles.

Pokemon have different enough play styles that they def wouldn't share the same 4 BiS moves. There are universally good moves like flamethrower and all, but coverage, set up, pivot, recovery, all those sorts of things would still play in. You'd have to balance the moves on your team.

The 4 moves were an example, I did note it'd probably be 8. It would just allow for more moves outside of WCS battles.

Pokemon have different enough play styles that they def wouldn't share the same 4 BiS moves. There are universally good moves like flamethrower and all, but coverage, set up, pivot, recovery, all those sorts of things would still play in. You'd have to balance the moves on your team.
Cool, but we still need to determine the limit outside of WCS lel

What do you think of the other suggestion or will A or B be fine for anything outside WCS?

Cool, but we still need to determine the limit outside of WCS lel

What do you think of the other suggestion or will A or B be fine for anything outside WCS?
The A/B will likely be used for anything outside WCS, looking like B's gonna win.

Edit:

Note this assumes there are WCS limits and as of THIS point. That is a false assumption. I just mentioned I liked the idea Worm pitched.