• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Pet names: Oh smoochy-kins~ ♥

I've noticed with a lot of people that they use pet names for their other half when their in a relationship, I find it interesting because they always have unique names for each other like Meatloaf(Bat out of hell anyone?) or Hammy and they're that close with each other that they use pet names. I'm totally for it as it show's how much you care for a person but there are some pet names I stop at XD Like Smoochy-kins(yes, someone had the pet name and likes it o.o )

I'm currently in a relationship and yes, we do use pet names for each other. We do have a certain pet name for each and they are ♥

I'm curious as to what people think about them, do you hate them? Like them? Get called Honey-Buns alot? XD

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Don't shoot me, but I've personally never liked pet names and find the majority of 'em silly. I'm okay with nicknames that actually relate to my name or tie into an inside joke, but beyond that I've never liked people calling me pet names or bothered giving them to someone else. The furthest I’ve gone is called a romantic partner "dear", which is mostly societal influence compared to my own liking of the term. I'm happiest just calling them by their actual name.

To me, I see no purpose in the usage of pet names beyond shoving one's relationship into other people's faces. I've never liked public acts of affection, and in the same light I don't really want to listen to people using pet names either. Mind you, I don't go out of my way to condemn the usage of them by because it's not really my business, but can't deny how I view 'em.

I call my boyfriend Jon-dog, as he calls me C*****cat. (name censored for privacy, but it alliterates) Dog, cat, both animals. They go together well.

Sir Red

Charms' Caped Crusader
I call my girlfriend "Sunshine", but not all "You're what my world revolves around and you bring light and clarity to everything <33333333". She always wakes up before me and sends me a good morning/get the hell up text each morning, so I always wake up to her, like the sun. :p

She calls me "Sweets" and "Cheeseball" because of all the stuff I say...I blame my sister's for me being a hopeless romantic. >>;;

Sometimes I'll randomly call her a Disney Princess name, but that's more of a teasing thing than all that mushy crap. :p

i've heard and used a lot of pet-names, but my favorite is "pumpkin muffin," except that i can't say the word pumpkin correctly, so it comes out sounding "punkin muffin." cute, right?
as long as pet-names aren't disgustingly gooey ("sugarkins," "honey bunches," etc.), i don't think there's anything wrong with using them.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
DoctorOak said:
Is "" a pet name? If so then, totally.

I thought it was "bitchgetinthekitchenandmakemeasammich"? :p

I guess anything can be a pet name, eh? But ... poor Rach... XD

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
I don't deny that pet names are silly - I have several dozen pet names for the boy, most of which are very silly indeed. I don't see using a pet name for him as "shoving our relationship into other people's faces" any more than the way we hug and hold hands is. (We're not into epic make-out sessions in public, but we simply have to hold hands or link arms - it's the way we are). However, I wouldn't use the sillier names in public, because that would be embarrassing.

I wrote a comprehensive list 5 years ago, and it doesn't seem to have evolved too far from that.

The Simple And Obvious:
Richard / Richie / Rich

Generic Tokens of Affection:
Love
Sweetie / Sweetheart
Sweetielove
Sweetieloveydarling (used in irony, generally)
Baby
Dear heart
Little one (never mind that he's bigger than me, he gives the impression of being a much smaller creature)

The Descriptive:
My partner
My significant other/SO (as opposed to Alexa, who is my Significant Otter)
The One I Live With / The partner I live with
The Boy

The Fuzzy:
Wuzzie
Mr Wuzzie (also, Clever Wuzzie and Silly Wuzzie, depending on whether I approve of what he's just done)
Fuzzy Wuzzie
Wuzzieboy
Wuzzie Husband
Wuzzie Hubbund (silly, but often used)
Baby Wuzzie / Wuzzie Baby (are these the same thing? I don't know)
Ewok Wuzzie (this is Tim's fault, he made sims of me & Richard and gave them the surname "Ewokwuzzie")
Ewok Boy
Small Ewok
Wokling
Teddiursa
Fierce Ursaring (depending on mood)

The Hairy:
Fuzzy Thing
Furry Thing (I don't think I've used this in years)
Furrywurry
Furryboy
Mr. Hairy
The Hairy Thing
Hairyboy
Princess Hairyboy
Beardy
Beardy-weirdy
Prince Ticklybeard

Since that list was written, Princess Hairyboy and Prince Ticklybeard seem to have got merged into Princess Ticklybeard. Apart from that, the only thing I call him is Bear, though he denies that I call him that.

He, in contrast, refers to me as H-L, Wolfy or love. Apparently I don't develop nicknames the way he does ;).

You know, no matter what I call her, she always calls me Tony. =\
I'll call her babe, Psyche-babe, Psyche-baby, dear, simple things besides the two right there.
I also came up with Entre-pinay (instead of Entrepreneur) for her since she's my half filipina GF, lol

In my current relationship we don't really have petnames unless you count my boyfriend randomly naming my body parts...(my feet are Mr. and Mrs.McPhillips for no apparent reason)
I've never really been a fan of petnames so I'm quite happy we don't have any XD

though occasionally I used to call him SirRufflez just because..,..

Rather than just read the topic tittle, you might also want to read the rest of thr thread, pyro. The topic is pet names you give people, not names you actually name animals.