• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Official Pokécharms Minecraft Server Revival - Any Interest?

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
A while back, long before the new site, I ran an official Pokécharms Minecraft server, which spent a while being fairly well trafficked before it kinda died of inactivity. Now we've got a lot of new faces, I'm sure a lot of whom play Minecraft, I'm interested to see if anyone wants an official server once again, given that I've seen at least a few people say they play MC and at least one enquire about @Tailon's server.

Basically, it'd probably be a fairly simple server, probably multi-world (at least survival and creative) and fairly close to vanilla. There would most certainly be no griefing/chaos allowed, of course. Beyond that, I'm happy to take direction from the people who'd actually use it... I probably wouldn't so much :p

Basically, Like this post if you're interested and would actually play on the server, and feel free to tag anyone who might want to see this - if enough people would play, maybe we can sort something out!

This definitely peaks my interest. Giving the fact that you said you're getting a lot of new faces, I believe this would be great for those "Minecraftians" that are scattered throughout the community as of now. Well... at least the ones that aren't fickle for custom map servers, anyway. However, as you probably figured out already, this would require something on the lines of a Home Page news post to get the most people playing.

Also, on a more personal note, I've always loved the basic survival/creative servers more than the other kinds out there. (this does not include faction servers, for those are still renting some space in my heart) It was a real pain to search for them via internet without coming across some sort of dying community or pointless ranking system attached to them, so I myself would most indubitably enjoy this.

Attachments

• Minecraft-Screenshot-1.jpg
    Minecraft-Screenshot-1.jpg
    494.3 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

Awoken

Formerly Jason59707
Yes, I'd love to play! Please don't use the Pixelmon mod, I can't use that.
What's the IP?
It was a real pain to search for them via internet without coming across some sort of dying community or pointless ranking system attached to them, so I myself would most indubitably enjoy this.
If you have trouble finding a Minecraft server online, here's a website that can help you. Planet Minecraft will put all servers into certain categories so that you can find the perfect server that's just for you. (And you can also download skins, texture packs, maps, and create blogs too!)
http://www.planetminecraft.com

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
There IS no IP, I haven't set up a server yet. This is an interest thread - if enough people want a server, I'll set it up XP

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
This looks like it's got enough interest to go ahead, so I'll try and get something going at the weekend.

First question: What version of Minecraft would we like to run? I\m planning to run the Bukkit server, which means we have a choice between 1.6.4 and the newest 1.7.9. I'm personally leaning towards the latter, even if it makes certain plugins unusable due to the API changes.

On that convenient segue, are there any mods that are considered essential or highly wanted by you guys? I'm very much out of touch with Minecraft these days (last played in the 1.4/1.5 era :p) so any suggestions are welcome.

I've played on 1.7.9 and it seems considerably more laggy and buggy than the other updates in 1.7, I mean even 1.7.9 with Optifine which is supposed to smooth things out and make it less laggy was laggier than 1.7.2 without Optifine. Although I'm personally not interested 1.7.9 isn't ideal

Awoken

Formerly Jason59707
There is a way to make servers for many different versions of the game, from 1.6.4, 1.7.1, 1.7.2, 1.7.4, AND 1.7.9 (Possibly 1.8 when it comes out). I'd like the server to be anything as long as isn't earlier than 1.6.2. How this works I have no clue.
As for mods, I don't have any requests, just not something to complicated to download. (Pixelmon, I'm looking at you.)

I love the idea and I im thinking of buying the game even though im horrible at it I would be more that happy to join if I buy the game ^^

I think running .6 would be perfect if we ran Pixelmon, (which would make sense since this is a Pokemon themed server,) but it looks like the .7 version of Pixelmon is almost out, so...I think either one is fine, but I would prefer .6 until the new Pixelmon comes out, then change it to .7! :D

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
We're probably going to run 1.7, and I doubt Pixelmon will be installed given that people have been reporting issues with making it work here.

I plan to run both on different worlds sooner rather than later, but which game mode do we want first? Survival or Creative?

Awoken

Formerly Jason59707
Maybe make two different servers, one for creative and one for survival. Or you could do like Swagcraft (http://swag-craft.net) and have multiple modes on one server, so we could do both at one time, but that just might be too much.
I could always help you build the world as well, you know.

Last edited:

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Maybe make two different servers, one for creative and one for survival. Or you could do like Swagcraft (http://swag-craft.net) and have multiple modes on one server, so we could do both at one time, but that just might be too much.
I could always help you build the world as well, you know.
I'd be installing a multiworld plugin, it's the more efficient option by a fair trot (and lets people on the two worlds still interact properly.)

And that Swagcraft website makes me violent. :p

Alright, two worlds. Great.
Is there any way we might have even more worlds, and possibly include minigames and stuff?

Also, I volunteer myself as a builder for spawn/other stuff that requires detailing.

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
We could do, but then the costs start escalating quite spectacularly. Given I plan to have two worlds with three realms each (Overworld, Nether, End), which is potentially six maps being rendered at once, we're already starting to get quite expensive, memory-wise. I'll see what can be done :)