• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

New Main-Series Pokemon Games announced!

Rex

Resident Furry
Just moments ago Junichi Masuda, director of Game Freak, has announced the release of what will be the "third version" for the Generation V pair on Pokemon Smash.

Read More

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
So it's not exactly "Grey", but yes, it was Kyurem.

I'm kinda surprised by this, though... Black 2 and White 2? I'm a little confused, does that mean it's like, 2 games instead of the usual third game being only 1 game?

Also the formessssss o-o I... I kinda like both of them. Am I weird for liking them or something?

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
*squees uncontrollably*

This is amazing! Could this mean that Black 2 and White 2 are direct sequels of Black and White? This is so exciting I can't stand it! The first thing that went through my head when I saw the new formes was "Fuuuuu... Sion! Haaaaa!" ~:D~

Well....I'm kinda shocked. I think I need to apologize to the guys wanting that 4th game now >_>;;;

But this could be interesting to see. If the title implies correctly, could we see an actual sequel? Not like Emerald to RS or Platinum to DP, but like XD GoD to Coliseum. If it is, kudos. I'm utterly shocked and happy if it is, but it still has me thinking heavily. If indeed it is a sequel, then what will happen? And I wonder how it will tie into the stories of the originals. Perhaps a few years later, some new trainers appear? Or perhaps this could be a prequel, revolving around the rumored dragon that Reshiram and Zekrom used to be.

Actually, BW 2 could also be a hint for RS remakes too. Perhaps the remakes could indeed be sequels too :p But I'm thinking too far ahead.

Wow, this was the last thing I was expecting.

It is quite possible that these are sequels, and that they're not. N's story is left quite open ended, as well as Ghetsis's. Does Ghetsis attempt to continue his diabolical designs? Does N find answers to his newly arisen questions? Or is this a retelling of the same story where Kyurem mingles with the other two dragons?

I'm quite curious about the new forms though. As well as having unique possible typings (fire/ice and electric/ice. that's a ground-breaker), they seem to be some sort of amalgamation of Kyurem with Reshiram and Zekrom respectively. It's interesting to note that what's ice on Kyurem has been overlaid the original two and then give some Kyurem colours and lines on the majority of its body. It's like Kyurem has encapsulated the original dragon to become its new form, like a growing strangler fig.

It makes me wonder what the story behind the forms are. Does this confirm that Kyurem is the skeleton of the pokemon Reshiram and Zekrom once were before they were split apart? Does this mean that Kyurem is the real counterpart to the two pokemon, which differs in each game? Or is Kyurem a foreign parasite on the two tao dragons, whose goal is to devour one of the dragons to further its own strengths? There are a lot of possibilities with these new forms.

And how long will it be before we start raging over how silly the faces on both forms look?

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I just noticed now that unlike Zekrom for White and Reshiram for Black, Black Kyurem is representing Black 2 and White Kyurem is representing White 2. Hmm.

Considering that these are labeled "Version 2", I'd say it's very unlikely that they'll be similar to Crystal, Emerald, and Platinum. N vanished on us and Ghetsis got away, so they've already set the stage to continue their stories. This could actually be a lot more interesting than I initially thought.

What I'm hoping to see is that these games act both as plot sequels but still add a bunch of new content like our typical third games do. Give us something akin to the Battle Frontier, allow the Gym Leaders to be rechallenged at higher levels, add a new location on the world map to explore, fix our WiFi issues, add more wild Pokemon to the region pre-National Dex, etc. I'd also like to see Pokemon appear outside their PokeBalls again and the Entralink be extended to WiFi (even if it's very limited WiFi).

Lastly, I think Black and White Kyurem look snazzy. Masuda called them "new Pokemon" but I doubt that means what people think it does. I can't really see these two receiving their own PokeDex numbers for example. My theory so far is that they merged with the Dark Stone and Light Stone, but I'm intrigued to find out the full story. Won't be long~

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
I'm still not 100% sure how I feel about it, if i'm being honest. It's exciting, and I'm really hoping some exciting new stuff will be revealed in the run up to it being released. It just seems a bit odd, with us always getting a third game. Hopefully the change will be a good one :D

Black Kyurem and White Kyurem are pretty interesting themselves. I do rather like White Kyurem, he just looks pretty and 'flowie'. That said, I do just like Kyurem.

I just hope the new games give us Move Tutors, to give us access to all those 'previous Gen only' moves. They should. I'd of course love them to feature Pokemon that follow you again, but that's a far more unlikely hope XD

I'm pretty excited about this. This is the first time a direct sequel has been made in the main series, assuming they ARE sequels. Which I'm pretty sure they are. Let's hope Nintendo can pull it off.

Also Black Kyurem
i6xngw.png

I'm super excited about this ^^

Just when we thought Nintendo Game Freak was getting too predictable, they actually throw us a bit of a curve ball. Depending on how much time passes between BW and BW II, Unova could experience some major changes. I actually like this idea better than getting Gray because it means both sets of games are canon instead of just the third version as in previous generations.

Btw, I'm so getting Black II

Sequels are definitely interesting, and I'm pretty happy with these new forms. They take a little getting used to...but they're snazzy.

An interesting theory I've seen elsewhere is that these sequels might also include the Gen III remakes within them. They're on totally different continents, of course, but B/W does feature an airport...

I'm not sure I buy in to that theory (and, honestly, I'd rather have standalone remakes) but it's interesting, to say the least.

Gonna hold off on my fanboy squeal till I know more about the game. If this is a squeal to the story in Black/White will the PC be the same as in those games or will it be a new PC and you encounter the old PC and his/her friends thoughout Unova. Needless to say there should be new areas. One idea I have is that the game starts off in a new region with new pokemon and you get to travel to Unova after a certain point in the game.