• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Private/Closed Neo Kanto Discussion

Introduction
Kanto has changed immensely over the course of ten years. The economy has prospered, and thanks to the lack of villainous teams to mess with the plans of Elite Four, the region has achieved a cultural and industrial boom. Every city plays an important role in the new Kanto. From Pallet Town, now a bigger, port city, which connects Cinnabar Islands with the rest of the region; to the recently merged Celadon and Saffron cities – the biggest in both Kanto and Johto, double the size of Goldenrod, and the first ever city to house two Gyms. Every city now has a school, and the best students are sent to the Celadon University, the most acclaimed university in the entire Pokemon world.

Not everything is as good as it sounds, though. The people in smaller cities are not satisfied with the lack of money, the expansion of cities left many Pokemon endangered due to loss of habitat, and a new villainous team has been rumored to have come out of the slumps, planning to take over Kanto...

---------

Had this idea for some time, although it wasn't meant to be an rp. Thought it'd be fun. I'm thinking of starting the thread after two or possibly three people join. Just to see if anyone's interested. You'll have to fulfill some criteria though. I don't want to RP with someone who doesn't know the basics of English grammar (can't say I'm a professional, but I'm decent).

1. Please put thought into your replies. A paragraph is enough in certain situations, such as quick interactions, but don't always rush it. There's time. Do some world building, if anything. We're RPing together. You have a say as well! I did put an idea, but feel free to create your own around it, if they fit into it.
  2. Like I said, grammar is important. Correct punctuation, capital letters, and separate paragraphs would be great, too.
  3. Another rule would be no more than 10 Pokemon obtained overall – this is more of a story element, since Pokemon have less place to live in, so there's less of them. (Trainers aren't allowed more than 10, unless they release one, then catch another Pokemon. They're monitored through the Silph Pokeballs, which have the same ID as the trainer – if there's more than 10 Pokemon in those Pokeballs, the supervisors would know. You can buy more than 10 Pokeballs, though, since not all of them will manage to catch a Pokemon.)
  4. Another would be that you'd make your characters older than 15. No particular reason other than 10 year olds running around a region doesn't make much sense.
  5. This is a discussion, so feel free to share your own ideas, for example, what to do next.
Kind of a long read ↓ and constructive criticism would be appreciated - I'm still new at this after all. Don't worry about being too nice.
Pallet Town — Significantly larger than before. A port city, connecting Cinnabar Islands with the rest of the region, most notable Viridian City. Although serving an important role, Pallet Town doesn't seem to be economically on par with the rest of the region – many slumps on the outskirts of the Town, and the Town overall looks very sad and grey. For some reason, Professor Gary Oak kept his grandfather's Lab there, refusing to move to a more technologically advanced City.

Viridian City — An important trading center for west Kanto. Exports the goods from Cinnabar Islands to Pewter City, and since claiming Diglett Tunnel, Vermilion City, and Lavender Town to a certain extent. The Gym now houses the Normal-type Gym Leader, Sofia, who is also in charge of the trading.

Viridian Forest — Although planned to be destroyed so Viridian City could expand, Pewter citizens protested it. Sadly, many trees have been cut down, for easier navigation from one city to another.

Pewter City — A historical center for Kanto. The museum has many more attractions, and a large library was built to keep the knowledge of Kanto in one place. Also considered a culinary center, housing some of the best restaurants in Kanto. The city's gym leader is still Brock.

Mt. Moon — With no way to turn it into anything easily navigable, it was left as it was, but many archaeologists keep finding new fossils around it, and they're usually the only ones to go in there.

Diglett Tunnel — Kept the name, in spite of the Diglett population decreasing at an alarming rate. Is the more popular choice for going from west Kanto to east Kanto.

Cerulean City — A peaceful city, went through the least changes, thanks to their Gym leader Misty's involvement. However, the Power Plant had been reopened, and is in working condition.

Vermilion City — Another port city, but more important for trading outside of the region. Lt. Surge still hasn't given up his spot of Gym leader.

Celadon-Saffron — By far the largest, and most advance city in Kanto. Houses a University, two Gyms, a large shopping district, important companies such as Silph Co. and others, movie theatres, and plenty more. Gym Leaders Erika and Sabrina work together to keep this megalopolis running.

Lavender Town — Known for the Kanto Radio Tower, the second entertainment center of Kanto, next to Celadon-Saffron.

Fuschsia City — The Fighting Dojo is located here, as well as the Pokemon Sanctuary - previously known as the Safari Zone. Gym leader Janina, and her father Koga, built the sanctuary, and forbade trainers to catch the Pokemon inside. Sadly, some still try, and manage, to do just that. A Power Plant is located to the south of it.

Cinnabar Islands — Repopulated a few years after the eruption. Known for fishing, and export of various minerals. The Gym leader is a Fire type expert Blaze.

That would be all of them, unless I think of another one. Here's the sheet for the character. (The starters will be Bulbasaur, Charmander, and Squirtle.) We'd all be starting from Pallet, since it's easier to meet that way, but if we can come up with how our characters already know each other, since Pallet still isn't that big, that'd be great too.

Name:
Personality:
Backstory: (no need to make it long, but if you're feeling inspired, go ahead)
Starter Pokemon of choice:

And mine...

Name: Winnie
Appearance: Winnie has short, light brown hair, and dark brown eyes. Her build is rather boyish, and she stands at 5'4. Usually wears colorful sweaters in primary colors, and comfortable pants. Winnie carries everything she needs in her black backpack.
Personality: Winnie is calm and quiet. Not because she is shy, but when she doesn't have anything to say – she doesn't. Still, she stands up for herself when necessary. She cares greatly about her friends, but doesn't think much for people she doesn't have a close bond with. Winnie is intelligent, but hasty, and rarely thinks before she acts.
Backstory: Winnie grew up in Pallet, with her mother and father, but they live separate now. The reason was her mother getting a job in Saffron, but her father, Victor, refusing to leave his job in Pallet. Winnie decided to stay with her father, but she doesn't mind. She gets to see her mother twice a month, which is enough for her now. Winnie also graduated from the Pallet trainer school, but didn't get her Pokemon yet.
Winnie was always fascinated with Poison types, and decided to pursue a Pokemon trainer career using solely Poison type Pokemon. Her biggest inspiration is Elite Four member Koga.
Starter of choice: Bulbasaur

Do some world building, if anything. We're RPing together. You have a say as well! I did put an idea, but feel free to create your own around it, if they fit into it.
This I like. Interested. Will write a bio when I can as my head is currently killing me and I have a few other RP's to catch up on

@E.K.A.N.S. no worries! I wasn't thinking of starting the RP immediately, anyway. I wanted to discuss the beginning before we started. Take your time.
@FrostCrispz I guess. I can't think of a reason not to allow any Pokemon, except for Alolan forms because they wouldn't make much sense. But all Pokemon would be placed in places where it'd be logical to find them – a dragon type on Route 1 wouldn't make much sense either.
@Lucariodubs I'd just like to see how you RP, + create a character with the sheet I made. Thanks for showing interest!

Name: Randy Greffery
Appearance: Standing 5'11" with short black hair and dark blue eyes. He wears a blue T-shirt and blue jeans.
Personality: Do you mind if I don't do this yet? Don't really have a plan for how he acts yet.
Backstory: Randy lived in Johto in that town next to the Slowpoke well. (Sorry, can't remember that right now) And decided to travel to Kanto for his first Journey. He never went to a trainer school because his grandpa was once one of the trainers on Victory Road. Randy learned most of everything he knows from him.
Starter Pokemon of choice: Give me the Squirrel Turtle.

@FrostCrispz seems alright. Think about the personality later. Just write down basic traits (hardworking, stubborn, as an example) once you've figured it out.
The town you're thinking of is Azalea, but maybe add onto Randy's motive of starting his journey in Kanto. Maybe his grandfather started his journey there, so Randy wanted to start in Kanto as wella – assuming his grandfather is some sort of role model since he taught Randy everything about Pokemon. Or something else, if you feel like it! Just a small detail, but changes the motive from something (for lack of a better word) meaningless, to something more important. I'll work on the backstory for my character too. In the end, it's just a suggestion.

I'd just like to see how you RP, to get an idea of how it may look. You can link me to a thread you already RPd in, or send a small paragraph of your choice in my mailbox/post it here. No pressure. You don't have to do it immediately either, this thread isn't going anywhere – and I'm not planning on posting the RP until we're all settled :)

Name: Levi Crowell
Appearance: Rather tall, standing a bit over 6ft with broad shoulders but an average build. Dark brown hair pushed to the left in messy spikes, that respective eye is partially covered by his scattered bangs, said eyes are a bright emerald green color with an amber hue near the pupil, and his skin is lightly sun-kissed from constant exposure to the outside world. He wears a collared black jacket left unzipped with a white T-shirt underneath, faded dark blue jeans, and dirty matte black boots. He has a grey backpack slung over his right shoulder and necklace made from a strip of dark brown leather, a silver and black etched amulet residing at the end of it.
Personality: Levi is a highly dedicated trainer with extremely high aspirations, as most. He's rather easy to get along with if you come off friendly, but quick witted and big mouthed towards anyone he gets a bad vibe from. Because of his cynical attitude, Levi often finds himself in bad situations, luckily, he's got the wits to back up his words and can get himself out of just about any rough spot. Overall, he's just your normal guy, trying to make it in this big new world.
Backstory: Levi was born on Cinnabar Island, but he and his parents moved to Pallet Town when he was 8, Oak's Laboratory in need of new scientific assistants. His parents, being skilled Pokémon researchers in there own right, were quickly hired on as staff at the Pokémon Lab.
Because of this, Levi was exposed to the research of Pokémon from a young age, making him a highly knowledgeable child. Along with knowledge, the young boy gained a burning passion for the protection and preservation of Pokémon, now more than ever with all the deforestation occurring throughout the region. At the age of 17, Levi felt confident enough to start traveling the region, doing all he can to preserve the lives of Pokémon, while also befriending them and growing stronger together along the way.
Starter Pokemon of choice: Squirtle

I understand you may need an example of my writing, if so I can post an example from a previous rp if you'd like.

Last edited:
Everyone always RP's as a dude so I RP as a dudette just to balance things out but this time I'm saying fuck it

Name: Casey Lindquist
Appearance: 5'10", he dresses in a white blazer with a purple silk cravat and a white dress shirt underneath. White dress shoes, dress pants, and a fedora complement this look, which is way too fancy to be out for a casual stroll. His platinum blonde hair is almost white, and it seems that the only traces of darkness in his appearance are his gray-blue eyes.
Personality: Kind, polite, and gentlemanly on the outside, bitter on the inside. He avoids battle and prefers to settle things peacefully. He acts twice his age and is overall kind of a dad character. Caring little about himself, he'd rather help those around him.
Backstory: His real name is Quince Corbat, who was a world-famous battler feared as "King Crobat." He was a former champion of Hoenn and held titles in Battle Maison Singles, Doubles, and Triples, having defeated Hoenn's Battle Chatelaines. Corbat fought in Alola's Battle Tree and even competed in Unova's Pokémon World Tournament, until he suffered a devastating loss, a career-ending defeat that left his pride in shambles and reduced him to the meek and peaceable individual he is today. No longer as cocky and competitive as he once was, he released his winning Pokémon and left for Kanto, all but disappearing from the public eye and assuming the identity of "Casey Lindquist." He is now an absolutely terrible battler, a complete trainwreck who likely has never touched a Pokéball in his life. Casey is inwardly dismissive of anyone with the dream of becoming a successful battler or Champion, thinking it to be a waste of one's life. After his fall from grace, it's like he's aged horribly and thinks he's way past his prime, even though he's only 20. Anytime someone points out a resemblance between him and King Crobat, which still happens occasionally, he just brushes it off.
Starter Pokémon of choice: Charmander

Here's a sample thread, yo: https://pokecharms.com/threads/powerless.19398/

@Mystic Zander I already like Levi! Love how you did this. And an example isn't necessary, because think I can get an idea about your writing from the way you wrote the backstory part. But, feel free to send me the example you wanted, just to be fair, and sure.

About the Pokemon, I was thinking Pidgey, Rattata, and other common Pokemon are not endangered. Water types are still pretty common, although the waters around certain cities like Fuschsia, and the route between Cinnabar and Pallet are polluted, so not many Pokemon there. (Tentacool seem to prosper, though).

Pokemon that live in caves are also pretty safe, for now. No interest in expanding on the expense of caves, so you'll still be seeing a lot of Zubats ;). I wasn't thinking of exact species that are endangered, but I have a feeling grass types and Pokemon that inhabit grassland places would be the most affected. Think Meowth, the Nidoran family, Jigglypuff (I'm thinking Jigglypuff are bred in captivity, and treated more like pets, so none of them in the wild. Same with Vulpix and Meowth? Hmm). Dragon and Ghost Pokemon are rare as well.

About migration thing, mostly Pokemon native to Johto appear in Kanto as well. I haven't though about it, since I didn't think it would be important, but I guess it is. Poochyena can be found in the wild, thanks to them being imported for Policemen to use (because dogs n stuff), but if you can figure out some logical reason for Pokemon from far away regions to migrate to Kanto, share them! This was just off the top of my head...

Huh. I just realized that this character may not work with this RP. Neo Kanto seems to have political overtones, from lack of money to environmental crises, and that requires an assertive character, which is the opposite of who he is. But I've also been wanting to RP Casey because all the ones I've signed him up for have insta-died. Guess I'll just need to work some intense character development throughout this RP and make him a man

Oh, seems good.

Name: Elliot Flareweck
Appearance: Stands at 5'2. Elliot rarely stay outside so her skin was paler than most people. She has long black hair and brown eyes. Her hair was kept by a headband made of white cloth. She wears white floral dress underneath her light-green jacket and green boots. She carries around a white parasol to keep the sunlight away and a huge suitcase filled with varied stuffs.
Personality: Elliot usually sticks to the rule. She's easily overwhelmed when things don't go as she planned. Though being the chaotic Prof Yggdra's assistant made her develop great planning skill. She resent her current task because she see no merits in collecting pokemon data manually when you can just use internet to find it all.
Backstory: A university student from Celadon-Saffron and hoping to be a pokemon proffessor in the future. But her mentor Proffessor Yggdra gave her a empty pokedex and told her to fill it with data by manually scanning pokemons.
Starter Pokemon of choice: cyndaquil

Last edited:
I believe only select Pokémon from Johto have made the trip over, so having all starters, or even the Johto starters, is a bit out there.
Of course, I could be completely wrong that is.

Although thus brings up a fair point, I feel like the use of a starter that is not one of the original three would be useful so none of us are running around with duplicate mons'.

@Spoiled Bread restricted mostly because I'm not fond of the idea of Fennekin or Snivy in Kanto, it just seems odd to me. Exchange between professors seems possible, though.

(Now the Pokemon from all regions, I didn't think to include any Kalos or Alola Pokemon in the wild, and Unovan are restricted to the Lillipup family, same reason as for Poochyena. Sinnoh, I was thinking only the newly added evos for the gen 1&2 Pokemon only, but that's just for the beginning.)

Duplicates is a fair argument. I didn't think I'd have more than 3-4 people RPing, so the three were enough. I might close the thread now, since there's enough of us, and we'll think about all the Pokemon given out.

Oh, and you're accepted, and since we RPd before, don't mind the RP example.

Thank you. My suggestions to avoid duplicate starter:

- add another gen starter (probably johto starters)
- add spinoff game starter like pichu or eevee
- add another kanto pokemon that seems plausible as starter

Eevee and Pichu/Pikachu seem good. Johto starters are also okay, if anyone really wants them. Other Kanto Pokemon could be Growlithe or Elekid/Magby/Smoochum, they seem like an interesting secondary bunch.

I won't be online until tomorrow afternoon, so don't expect much from me. I'll add onto Winnie's backstory and personality then, some tweaks here and there, just so I'm on par with the rest. I created it in a rush, anyway. Couldn't be patient after all the writing agh

Name: Chris Walkins
Appearance: Chris is a somewhat short person standing at four foot nine, sometimes being mistaken for a kid of much younger age, aside from that his is very skinny with strawberry blonde hair with pale skin and freckles dotted all across his face.
Personality: (I'm gonna make more of a outline and develop it throughout the rp if that's ok?) Chris is a quiet introverted person who always seems to feel out of place, even around friends he just feels like he's ignored and left to do his own thing.
Backstory: Chris's was born by the ocean side of pallet town and lived with his fathers (yes, fathers, plural) until one of his dads got a promotion in his job and had to leave to johto, he and his other father had to stay but every second weekend he gets a visted and that's the only time he seems to feel accepted for who he is.
Starter Pokemon of choice: Magby

@It's *that* guy! The thread is closed for now :\ Sorry. Maybe if someone drops out, but I'm happy with the number of people who applied already. Some other time.

Is the rest still on board, though?
( @Spoiled Bread @Mystic Zander @E.K.A.N.S. @FrostCrispz )

Eevee, Vulpix, Meowth and Jigglypuff are bred in captivity, and sold as 'lap Pokemon'. Similar to lap dogs, they exist to he cute and fit on the laps of rich, middle aged women. Breeders who sell them swim in money.

Ironically, dog-like Pokemon aren't considered as cute. Growlithe, Houndour, Poochyena, and Lillipup (+ their evolutions) are used by the police, but can be found in be wild now as well.

Erika and Sabrina are the dynamic duo. You won't meet a better team. They managed to merge the calm nature of Celadon with the fast-paced life of Saffron. (I don't really know what the town is exactly like, though... But, there would be a large shopping district, and a business district as well, and the city is jam packed with people.)

Pallet is unofficially divided into two parts, the one closer to the port, and the one closer to the exit of the town. The people usually take the wide street, wider than the other ones, as the border, with the poorer people living in the front, and the ones in the back are... in a better situation. The Lab is the first building you see when you enter the town.

That's all I got rip.

Heeeey all. Posted the RP. Was planning on waiting a bit longer, but I couldn't wait much longer, honestly.

https://pokecharms.com/threads/neo-kanto.19602/

By the way, you can control Gary, as well as other characters, but it's mostly restricted to dialogue they have with your character. Since he's story relevant, and I'm kind of in control of it, don't do much with him hahah. (I also mentioned how he 'called up a few more kids' -- you can be included in that, but you can also stop by for another reason.) That's all. Have fun!

"Alright," the Professor said, taking three Pokeballs out of the box. "Here's the first bunch." The three Pokemon were soon out of their balls, and seemed as if they weren't out for some time. "Bulbasaur, Charmander, and Squirtle," the Professor said their names. He felt nostalgic, reminiscing the first day of his own journey, and a friend he hadn't seen in a long time, and it could be heard in his voice. "Well, choose wisely!"
Winnie thought as she approached the box, picking up a PokeBall with a small smirk. Of course, she knew what she was going to pick as soon as the Professor showed them the box
@Vaporeonn Minor plot inconsistency, in your second post the Professor takes the Pokémon out of the box and sends them out already. In your third post, they were inside the box in their Pokeballs the whole time.

Or maybe it's not necessarily an inconsistency... It could be like when you go to a pastry shop there are many of the same cake so they give you one of those instead of the one they have on display. The Pokémon he sent out were just for show, he's got a bunch of them in the back to give to trainers
It was easier to bury memories than to relive them again.
Casey might disagree...

Then again he's reliving them as someone else

@Vaporeonn , you should tag @FrostCrispz and @Mystic Zander again to see if they're still interested, because they haven't replied. Zander liked your earlier message which means he got it so maybe he's just busy, or knowing him he's hitting you up in the PM's and plotting an epic entrance in the shadows :\=|:

Whatever the case may be if they don't respond this time, I suggest you allow @It's *that* guy! to join.

Also @Spoiled Bread I gotta ask, is English not your first language? Your writing is fine, but it's full of grammar and spelling mistakes.

Yep, I'm not english speaker. I don't have. Umm.. english 'sense,' it especially visible when I'm writing in tired condition. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Ahaha with how super extra nice @Vaporeonn was I feel bad now. I wasn't shaming you or anything, just asking. Sorry if I came off that way @Spoiled Bread :'|

ROUND 1
Oh Arceus, is this bitch deaf or something?
Can't say the same about Winnie. That girl is HELLA dense.
Okay, so Winnie is dumb
VS
He seemed to think of himself too highly
Casey's long sentences added onto Winnie's annoyance with the guy, and she was now sure they were a substitute for an ugly personality
Couldn't the Professor have sent a nicer, and less intimidating assistant?

Last edited:
Casey and Winnie are going to end up fistfighting halfway through the journey, it's canon.

Also! The Pokemon found on Route 1 (if anyone's up to catching any) are Pidgey, Rattata, Sentret, and Poochyena. I referred to the Pokemon locations on route 1 in HGSS. I could also add Pineco, Ledyba, and Spinarak, though.

I did the Poochyena one. For the other ones, Johto is close, and the grassy terrain isn't that different another explanation is that different trainers have different Pokemon from other regions, and sometimes they release them. For example, some Johto trainers might release their weaker Pokemon to make room for some stronger ones once they get to Kanto (cause rules and all that), so Johto native Pokemon made their way to Kanto more easily, and their numbers grew as time went by.