• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Mono Teams

If you had to use a mono type

• Water

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Grass

• Fire

• Electric

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Flying

• Ground

• Rock

• Psychic

• Ice

• Bug

• Steel

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Fairy

• Dark

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Rock

• Ghost

• Fighting

• Normal

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Poison

• Dragon

• Total voters
I always find it amusing when I see mono-teams it isn't easy rolling a mono team at all, since that's all I ever battle with but it's still a lot of fun, What are your thoughts on Mono teams? Would you ever use one?​

Good question! :D I would like to have a Dragon type Mono-type team, but there wasn't a 'Dragon' option, so I chose my second favourite type, ghost. :)

In my Dragon type mono-team, I would like to have:
1. Flygon
2. Salamence
3. Noivern
4. Kingdra
5. Tyrantrum
6. Goodra

In my Ghost type Mono-Type team, I would like to have:
1. Froslass
2. Aegislash
3. Chandelure
4. Gengar
5. Spiritomb
6. Rotom

I run Mono-Normal a lot and love Mono teams in general. I rarely get them all done in the actual games but I love play testing them on Pokemon Showdown frequently.

Latest Mono-Normal team:
- Ditto / Smeargle
- Kecleon
- Diggersby
- Miltank
- Porygon-Z
- Heliolisk

I'm sorry that I forgot the rest of the types, I accidentally pressed enter, before I was done. But both teams seem really neat .
My water team:
Sharpedo
Swampert
Gyarados
Azumaril
Greninja
And Mega Blastoise
I have three tagouts; Kingler Tentacruel and Vaporeon

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I voted for Fire but only because I can easily see myself using such a team. In reality I've trained two Mono-type teams in the past, Ground-types and Flying-types. I can't fully remember what my Ground-type team consisted of (aside from Marowak) but my Flying-type team was made up of these critters:

- Altaria
- Gliscor
- Vespiquen
- Skarmory
- Mantine
- Dodrio

The team wasn't meant to be competitive and was instead focused on Flying-types that I'd either never used before or had only used once in the past. I never did finish off my in-game run with that crew but it was fun while it lasted. :)

I've done two mono runs so far. I did one in FireRed which was Poison type

1. Venusaur
2. Weezing
3. Venomoth
4. Nidoking
5. Golbat
6. Haunter (Didn't have the ability to trade)

My most recent one was a Normal type on in Platinum

1. Staraptor
2. Clefable
3. Girafarig
4. Lickilicky
5. Bibarel
6. Lopunny

I'm thinking of doing maybe a Flying run of Black 2 soon. I usually plan my teams out before hand and so far my team looks like this (with a dispute on the final member of my team)

1. Mandibuzz
2. Sigilyph
3. Emolga
4. Skarmory
5. Mantine
6. Vespiquen OR Drifblim

I have three competitive mono teams right now: Fighting, Ghost, and Flying, all of which work to varying degrees of success dependent on how much of an idiot my opponent is(meaning my Flying team wins WAY MORE THAN IT SHOULD).

My Fighting team runs Infernape, Keldeo, Lucario, Conkeldurr, Mienshao, and Breloom, and has literally not changed since Gen V. Having three things that can work as a lead gives me plenty of choosing power for my opening move. The coverage I can get is actually really high, and I'm not exactly screwed over when fighting a mono Ghost or Flying team.

The Ghost team is about what you would expect: stall, stall, and stall some more, then murder with powerful sweepers should that fail. With Gengar, Trevenant, Sableye, Golurk, Aegislash, and Cofagrigus, I have more than enough ammunition with which to cause many a ragequit. The core of the team is Sableye and Trevenant, being able to stall out many a thing through a lovely combination of Toxic/Burn and Leech Seed backed up by Leftovers/Recover and Leftovers/Harvest/Substitute, respectively. If you haven't seen a Cofagrigus sweep, let me tell you that is a horrifying sight.

Finally, the Flying team. The weakness to Ice is offset only by Skarmory and Gyarados, but that doesn't seem to keep me from steamrolling through mono Ice teams who have no idea how to use Ice Shard. Skarm is joined by the lovely ensemble cast of Landorus-T, Yanmega, Swellow, Gyarados, and Vivillon(who will completely annihilate you provided you don't OHKO it, which surprisingly hasn't happened yet). Yanmega is a reliable enough lead, but Vivillon can do it, too. Do not underestimate this team.

I always liked the idea of a mono steel team--I concocted one for one my characters back in Gen IV. In Gen VI, I could use a team that looks something like this:

Aeglislash
Heatran
Empoleon
Skarmory
Lucario
Magnezone OR Excadrill

I'd like to recreate a mono-steel team in game and then work out how to get the best coverage possible while working around that nasty fighting and fire weakness.

So me and my friend have decided to do a VS mono run for X and Y. So my Flying run is postponed for now. I'll be playing X and he'll be playing Y. We both get a randomly generated type and have to go through the game with said type and battle each other afterwards. I got Grass and he got Dark.

So I'm thinking:
Chesnaught (just purely for the fighting type)
Venusaur (for the Mega evo (if not for that I would have used Roserade))
Jumpluff (no reason other than it is adorable)
Ludicolo (For extra type coverage)
Carnivine (Trying a Pokemon I've never used)
Ferrothorn (not really my type but I've heard it's a good battler)

I'd have loved to use Gourgeist or Trevenant but I don't want to risk the type disadvantage. Just need to try and guess what he's going to use now to see if I can tailor my team even better.

I never do it because they often have one glaring weakness across the board. If I HAD to, though, I'd go steel, as many of my favorites are steel-type:

Scizor
Steelix
Forretress
Skarmory
Bronzong
Heatran
Lucario
(Mega) Aggron

I figure a Ground type mono team would be pretty powerful. Mamoswine, Flygon, soo many decent pokemon with ground as a secondary or primary type.

I took part in a local mono-type tournament a few months back, and given that I already had a lot of fighting types on hand, I rolled with that. What really made that shine for me though was my first properly EV'ed pokemon, a Hawlucha, I used to fill one of the slots, who is now one of my favourite fighters in in this generation. I would gladly go in fists out for a mono type team again.

pokeman266

2015 Singles Champion
I made a normal mono team and it did very well. I won more games than I lost and I even beat a Team with 4 legendarys. That's what I like about Normal types they are extremely unpredictable and can beat any type.

Iv never done a run through with a mono team, only use them after the elite 4 when it is easy to train them. I would imagine it would be intense like a nuzlocke challenge.

The only mono type that I would run from the first badge to the champion; is the mighty Steel type.
Reason for this, there's a lot of powerful dual types that are part Steel.
This will be my Steel mono team.
+ Magnezone
+ Lucario
+ Metagross
+ Aggron
+ Scizor
+ Empoleon

I'd pick Rock, or Normal. I find setting up a Sandstorm/ Stealth Rock combination (with Tyrranitar) quite devastating, especially with a swift, hard-hitting Kabutops (EV trained). My team would be:
-Tyrranitar
-Kabutops
-Armaldo
-Aggron (Mega)
-Rhydon
-Tyrantrum
Unstoppable...

Although I did try to run through BW 2 with a water party, I wasn't too proud of it but it was alright.
-Gyarados
-Samurott
-Jellicent
-Wash Rotom
-Carracosta
-Swanna( One of my better sweepers)

ok I have to admit that I like to run mono-type annoying stat effect held item teams
and I have 3 I really, really, REALLY want in my white 1 game

team1-psychic
mewtwo mega y lv: 90
metagross lv: 99
deoxys speed lv:89
arceus mind plate lv:70
alakazam mega lv:95
zekrom lv:75 (zekrom is not a psy Pokémon but I like to run a electric/psychic combo!)

my mewtwo move set is: psychic - thunder - thunder wave - hypnosis or rest

team2-dark
hydragon lv:88
darkrai lv:90
tyranitar lv:89
zoroak lv:70
arceus dark plate lv:99
houndoom mega lv:76

team3-steel
aegislash lv:99
rampardos lv:89
aggron mega lv:90
heatran lv:79
aegislash lv:92
genesect freeze drive lv:78

2 aegislashes see how tricky >:)

FalChromiforme

Formerly Aurora Beam
My dark-type monos WRECK teams~and not just psychic and ghost. This is where the fabulous thing called COVERAGE comes in handy-that and double-typing. Hence Sneasel being my fave pokemon --eviolite plus I can use it/weavile against Dragons VERY effectively