• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Mario & Luigi: Dark Duo (Discussion/Sign-Ups)

[RP Thread]

Peace rests... for now. Bowser has been defeated once again, and Princess Peach has invited the great heroes Mario and Luigi over to her castle for a celebration of the return of the Toad Brigade from their space exploration. As the Starshroom heads to land, however, a black void opens in the sky and dark meteors are rained all across Toad Town. A mysterious villain appears, proclaiming herself Phantom, heir to the power of the Tribe of Darkness. With a chamber hidden below Toad Town revealed to contain the location of the Tribe's Dark Citadel, Phantom vanishes to summon the Citadel and use it to become the greatest dark magic user in the world. In the distraction, however, Bowser has managed to sneak in and kidnap Princess Peach (and Toadsworth since he was right beside her)! The chase of the Mario Bros. reveals a dark force-field stopping Bowser from entering his castle, despite the full force of his army. With Bowser's Castle discovered as the burial place of the Dark Citadel, the Mario Bros. must find the Shadow Blade - an ancient weapon made by the Tribe of Darkness with incredible dark magic - and use it to shatter the shield, else Phantom may just wreak greater havoc on the world than Bowser ever could...

So basically, this RP is a giant macguffin hunt across various areas with a ton of cameos and new plot points. It's gonna be more so plot-driven than not, but it's still an RP so as long as you play the characters and follow the story whatever can happen. Some characters fit into the plot, while some others may not. We'll be dividing the story into "acts", similar to Paper Mario's Chapter system. I'll be listing off a ton of characters - the ones that I've already figured out how to work into the story. Feel free to ask me about someone else though, and I'll see if they can work or not!

Super Mario: @Ghostly Jazz Hand's
Luigi: @GreninjaTrainer013
Starlow: @Ghostly Jazz Hand's
Princess Peach Toadstool: @Fraseandchico
Toadstool:
Toadbert:
Mys T.: @Eeveechu151
Princess Daisy: @Fraseandchico
Captain Toad: @Eeveechu151
Archivist Toadette:
Hint (Blue) Toad: @Lunar the Mew
Yellow Toad:
Bank (Green) Toad:
Mail (Purple) Toad:
Phantom: @Eeveechu151
King Bowser Koopa Sr.: @GreninjaTrainer013
Prince Bowser Koopa Jr.: @Ratbag the Coward
The Koopalings: @Fraseandchico
Popple: @Lunar the Mew
Petey Piranha: @Ratbag the Coward
Wario: @Eeveechu151
Waluigi: @Ratbag the Coward
Mona: @Eeveechu151
Captain Maple Syrup:
Fawful: @Ghostly Jazz Hand's
Chief Yoshi: @GreninjaTrainer013
Yoshi: @Ratbag the Coward
Boshi: @Eeveechu151
Mouser:
Birdo:
[REDACTED]: @Eeveechu151

@Rohan Kishibe @Fraseandchico @GreninjaTrainer013 who y'all taking?

Last edited:
No, the Mario and Luigi series takes place in a completely separate canon from Paper Mario. This is proven by the mere existence and plot of Paper Jam, which states that the entirety of the Paper Mario series happens inside a book.

What Did You Do To Snoke?

Previously Ratbag the Coward
No, the Mario and Luigi series takes place in a completely separate canon from Paper Mario. This is proven by the mere existence and plot of Paper Jam, which states that the entirety of the Paper Mario series happens inside a book.
So it is set after the most recent Mario and Luigi entry? Is Super Mario RPG (the original one) in a different universe? All three of these games are rpgs you see and there are references in each one of them.

Super Mario RPG's canonicity to the Mario and Luigi series is debatable due to the existence of Star Hill, but Star Road and Star Hill can exist in tandem. Nothing in SMRPG directly contradicts facts from the M&L series, despite the world map... but considering the world map changes with literally every game, that's hardly a good point to make. I guess Super Mario RPG could count as canon if we need to use any characters from it.
And yes, this game is set after Paper Jam. The most important game it's set after, though, is Bowser's Inside Story - Fawful's in the RP, after all.

Super Mario RPG's canonicity to the Mario and Luigi series is debatable due to the existence of Star Hill, but Star Road and Star Hill can exist in tandem. Nothing in SMRPG directly contradicts facts from the M&L series, despite the world map... but considering the world map changes with literally every game, that's hardly a good point to make. I guess Super Mario RPG could count as canon if we need to use any characters from it.
And yes, this game is set after Paper Jam. The most important game it's set after, though, is Bowser's Inside Story - Fawful's in the RP, after all.
I think Superstar saga had a Geno cameo in some slot machine game, i've heard.

Yeah, but that's a cameo and wouldn't even fit Geno's character. Geno is shown to be a toy, so it's likely that Geno is a commercial product for kids and they decided to use him for the slot machine rules instructor. The real Geno, ♡♪!?, has yet to reappear in a game since SMRPG.

Mind if I take Luigi? (I love Luigi.)

By the way, are PM64, PMTTYD, SPM canon? Because it seems like SS and CS are the only ones who focus on the "Paper" thing. The others just have paper for an aesthetic.

The Paper Mario series all takes place in the same universe, and in Paper Jam Paper Mario functions similar to how he does in the first three games. So yes, but only to the Paper Mario universe which we won't be using as to not reuse plots and go with something original.

And of course you can have him! Oh yeah, Luigi time!

Could I take Yoshi please? I don't know what the difference between chief Yoshi and Yoshi is, but i'll assume the Yoshis all live in one clan and THE Yoshi is the original green one.

The Yoshis have a tribal format similar to the ones found in SMRPG and Paper Mario (the original). So sure, just know Yoshi won't be popping up until like Act 11 or so. I'd recommend you also take a character that appears earlier.

The Yoshis have a tribal format similar to the ones found in SMRPG and Paper Mario (the original). So sure, just know Yoshi won't be popping up until like Act 11 or so. I'd recommend you also take a character that appears earlier.
Why would that be? I also saw you added 'Boshi' who is only from SMRPG according to the Mario wikia. Do we have to pick a character from this list or can we make a new one? I think it would be wise to put when each character is suppossed to appear next to their name in the original post. I don't really see what you're plan for each character is, so if you are forcing us to use a character at a certain time you should put a reason why.

Last edited:
1) Plot reasons. The main heroes will only be journeying to Yoshi's Island after they reassemble the Shadow Blade.
2) W-we literally just discussed SMRPG counting as canon here...
3) The characters listed are the ones I already have in the story for plot reasons, but depending on who the new character is I MAY be able to fit them into the story.

I don't really see what your plan for each character is, so if you are forcing us to use a character at a certain time you should put a reason why, or when they should appear at the very least. All you have really said is that Mario and Luigi (and a group of other characters I shall assume) are going to get this blade for whatever reason. You haven't said where it is located, or what paths we have to take. It sounds to me as if you know what's going to happen, but you've kept us all in the dark. I'm just pointing out an issue with the information you've provided.

Then I guess I'll explain a bit more. The heroes are going to have to go to five locations - Nutty Woods, to get the handle, Rich Plains (Sub Locations: Wanner's Village and Wario Inc. HQ), to get the emblem, Shell Island (Sub Locations: S.S. Treasure and Cyber Cave), to get the hilt, Koopa Village (Sub Location: Specter Manor), to get the lower blade, and Fire Fields (Sub Location: Vacation Castle), to get the upper blade. Once they have all the pieces, they'll be able to penetrate the field keeping Bowser's Castle sealed away and scale the Dark Citadel. Anything past that is plot spoilers for a major event. So yes, I do know what's going to happen, but I'm intentionally keeping you in the dark to surprise you all with plot spoilers. At the beginning of every act, I'll give the people an overview of where we've got to go, but events and the like are kept hidden until they're revealed in the RP.
Oh, and FYI? Whoever takes control of Starlow gets the information needed, since she's the exposition dump.

GT already took Luigi, but you can have Daisy.
Also, GT, will we be using talking Luigi or silent Luigi? Because Mario's gonna be completely silent, but Luigi can sometimes talk.

No, Smash is not canon to any game universe in any form. Subspace Emissary has no means of being feasibly canon, and no other Smash game properly explains why all these characters are in the same place at the same time. Furthermore, Smash is never referenced as being part of the history or memory of any character in post-Smash games, and therefore cannot be counted as canon. This same logic applies to the Mario universe just as much as it does any other, and thus this RP as well.

No, Smash is not canon to any game universe in any form. Subspace Emissary has no means of being feasibly canon, and no other Smash game properly explains why all these characters are in the same place at the same time. Furthermore, Smash is never referenced as being part of the history or memory of any character in post-Smash games, and therefore cannot be counted as canon. This same logic applies to the Mario universe just as much as it does any other, and thus this RP as well.
Well, I wouldn't say that. I would say that it occurs either in a seperate universe with all the other crossovers/smash games, or the character's memory is wiped at the end of it.

A separate universe is possible, and is in fact very likely for Subspace Emissary. But this would still be a separate universe, and thus non-canon to the fighters' original universes. However, that poses the question of WHY is there a combined universe. Why do the characters fight each other in the other games and Brawl's multiplayer? And the major problem with the memory wipe thing is that THERE IS LITERALLY NO EVIDENCE SUPPORTING THAT. For that conclusion to be even somewhat based, we need to have an example of the characters coming together somehow and getting their memory wiped.
In conclusion? Unless Smash Ultimate has a story mode that logically and fully explains why all the characters are together and establish it as part of the lore for each universe, then Smash is considered fully non-canon.

Also I'd recommend you all take multiple characters in order to have a much greater chance of being part of the story at all times. Several characters will actually join the Bros. as third and fourth party members, similar to how Paper Mario worked in Paper Jam, such as Peach, Wario and Bowser.

So? This still means canon exists. You can't just flip-flop with canon if you're telling a continuous story. And characters do remember what happened in the previous games, they may just not mention it.
Alright, here's the FINAL LIST OF CANON FOR THE RP: The Super Mario Bros. games (2D and 3D, the platformers), Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars, the Yoshi's Island series, the Mario & Luigi series and that's it.

A-all of them...? Okay, sure. Guess I won't need slots for all of them...

Oh BTW, I will be including "sidequests" in this. The major "sidequest" you guys can choose to do or not do is locating all the members of the Toad Brigade. If you do, Captain Toad will become a party member.

Y'know, on a completely different topic... I now adore the Wario and Mona ship.
What? It has nothing to do with Wario being my favorite character and the fact that someone cares about him when everyone else just sees him as this fat greedy pig no it has nothing to do with that.