• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Isshu

The title pretty much sums it up; this topic will be all about the new region of Isshu. What do you think so far? Do you have any hopes or wishes?

So far, I've been very impressed with what I've seen. Huin City looks absolutely stunning. It's truly a big city unlike anything we've seen before. Back when we had only screen shots, I was a bit worried, but then they actually showed some video and I nearly died in happiness. The cave with the electrical fields and floating rocks looks really cool too and I can't wait to see what that's all about. Huh, that's the first time I've been excited about a cave XD In the other topic, I said I wanted a desert themed region, and while I still want one, it doesn't look like we're getting it here. So far it looks like Isshu is pretty temperate like Kanto or Johto. I still want my underwater city though. There's still hope!

Edit: I'm adding this to my first post as well

2ci9r44.png

In all honesty, Isshu scares me a little bit. I'm afraid the "creative rebirth" of the entire game will attract a lot of new fans, and lose a lot of old nostalgic fantards like me. The big city thing especially. I'm a little more optamistic due to the videos, but still, I'm worried...

An underwater city would be mad...

I've kind of been hoping for a more populated region, which is what I'm seeing with Isshu. After all, what kind of a town is one with three houses in it? I don't even think that counts as a village... It would seem a bit more realistic to have a bigger population in the games, which is what we're seeing here.

How exactly those rocks defy gravity is what I'd like to know... Perhaps the cave and the rocks act like magnets, like when you put two S ends of two magnets together and they push away? It would have to be a pretty strong magnetic force to do that however... the earths gravity is incredibly powerful...

My hopes for Isshu would be a Gym Leader all crazy about space

Psychic Types
NAME: Luna
Team: Lunatone Solrock Clefairy

I also am hoping that this region is closest to Hoenn than the other regions
so then you can take on Battle Frontier :D

I give full support to the underwater city ;D

i'd like to see more creative possibilities explored. So far, if there was a forest, it was a forest. This is the Pokemon world, you're allowed make crazy stuff like a treetop city(expanded Fortree?) and whatnot. The magnet-rock cave thing looks cool, though I do hope the gyms are as creative. The gyms in Sinnoh seemed to have lost that uniqueness to their challenges. I felt that you had seen all these challenges before, or in a different guise. From what I've seen, Isshu seems on the right track.

I still want my sky-routes...

How would a sky route work do get on a flying Pokemon and it's like the underwater areas but instead of going through sea-weed you go through clouds?

charmander91 said:
How would a sky route work do get on a flying Pokemon and it's like the underwater areas but instead of going through sea-weed you go through clouds?

Sounds fun to me ^^ Perhaps like the Dive routes in Hoenn incorporated Sootopolis City (the only way to reach it the first time is to Dive), a sky route could incorporate a city located high on top of a mountain that could only be reached by flying. As it stands, you can only Fly to towns you've already visited, but in this case, you have to Fly to get there the first time. They can even make a cool animation for it. They say Isshu is more technologically advanced so literally the skies are the limit.

Well so far I like what i have seen, I'm glad to know there is a population of people above 1000 per region. BTW where is the video of the cave with flying rocks?

Sir Red

Charms' Caped Crusader
@Perfect-Chao, it was first seen in a screen shot from the game. Unless there's new footage that I haven't seen, we don't yet have a video of the cave/area.

I'm totally for a city that you need to fly to for the first time, perhaps a city that is quite literally built into the mountain side and you need to use a complex system of ladders to move about the city and such. That would be tons of fun to see and explore.

I like a lot of the ideas in this thread-- I really loved the Dive levels in RSE, that definitely needs to make a comeback. I'm also intrigued by a sky city: maybe fly's HM effect could be changed to a surf-like one while teleport becomes an HM move.

I've heard that Huin City is actually based on New York City, instead of a city in Japan. It would be cool if Isshu was the equivalent of North America, then: huge technologically advanced cities with skyscrapers and so on, but a really huge gameworld with a lot of open spaces, national forests, farms, mountains, caves, etc. between them.

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
I'm loving the ideas for an underwater city and a sky/high mountain city. If Isshu really is based on America, then I would also like to see a New Orleans like city that borders the ocean but has a bit more of a wetland quality to it than a beach quality. We can also take Carmen's desire for a desert by having a town in that area too. Hoenn had a desert, but there were no cities in it and I think it would be interesting to see how those people would live.

[me:psycho Monkey]is getting excited now[/me]

If there are cities in those locations i will be in love with a ds game, but i want to see a city in an active volcano, i have no idea why but if they can build pokemon battle fields in them, they can do a city.

Well, the art for the region has been released, and Isshu is looking really interesting, especially the massive desert behind Hiun City.

Toastie said:
Well, the art for the region has been released, and Isshu is looking really interesting, especially the massive desert behind Hiun City.

It reminds me more of, say, Los Angeles now than New York. Isshu does look interesting-- the first thing that stands out to me are all the bridges, and then the circular island in the middle of the lake. Can't wait for a bigger scan.

YES DESERT YES

Isshu isn't based on a desert, but I'm satisfied with what we got anyway. I'm loving the pictures so far...so many bridges ♥ Like Keleri I really want a bigger image. This region seems bigger for some reason which would go along with it being based on the US or Canada.

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
First, I must apologize to Hoenn, my former favorite region. From a distance Isshu is absolutely beautiful! I can't wait to see it up close and personal! It even has what I think is the wetland area I wanted in the southeastern part. Yup. Gen V has oficially reached obsessive levels. ^-^

Well, the new pictures seem to have CRUSHED my old theory of a town themed after every type, but I can't complain, it looks good.

Looking at the new pictures, I'm really hoping that the game kind of starts out with you moving to Isshu. The game could start you with you in a ship headed to Hiun City, and you'll have to travel all the way to your new hometown. It would most likely not happen, but hey, that's just my imagination running wild.

Isshu really is beautiful, though c:
I kind of wish that I lived there.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Really loving that region image they revealed for it and, like Psycho Monkey, Isshu could potentially end up becoming my favourite region depending on how they work it. It's just so varied, and I love that central island and the rivers running around it. Very pretty map :3

As most this may end up being a favorited region by myself as well and most likely well be, im just hoping that the map itself is larger having more space to walk, explore with more trainers to fight however seeing images i think my hopes are correct.

blarg88 said:
Well, the new pictures seem to have CRUSHED my old theory of a town themed after every type, but I can't complain, it looks good.

I think if they did that Pokemon would turn into one of those game series that need to to die

The Blue Avenger said:
So, apparently Isshu looks like it might be based off of New York entirely. Found this on GoNintendo:

M3wEG.jpg

Take from that what you will.
Interesting, if it is based off new york that would prove to be a common choice of place however i still ponder if it well have the same feeling as it does with the other games.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Heh, it is quite an interesting match-up, and it'd be believable, too. Seeing this, it's easy to understand why an everyday pigeon is our early bird this time 'round. :p

Still, that upper right area has me curious... It doesn't look like the land ends, it just appears to be covered... And If that's truly the case, I really want to know why. ???

Last edited by a moderator:
Katie just sent this to me, so I'm adding it here ^^

2ci9r44.png

It's a clearer picture of Isshu! As we can now see, the region boasts mountains in both the east and the west sides, though I only see a cave entrance in the western range. There's a lot going on in this picture, but the north intrigues me the most.Not exactly sure what that is in the far northwest--it looks like a hut or something. There's also what looks like a terraced landscape in the north as well which briefly reminds me of China. This certainly brought about more questions than answers XD Either way, Isshu looks cooler than ever!

Far northeast definitely looks like Victory Road and the Elite Four to me.

The eastern mountain range probably has an entrance in the side, if only because there's a bridge leading there. There's gotta be some way in. :p

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
That clearer picture of Isshu looks so pretty :3

Well, what a lovely region Isshu seems to be. I'm loving all the mountains and forest, and all the different towns look great and interesting. I really do hope it turns out as epic as it looks.

The theme park area (above the desert) looks fun :>
it'd be cool if you could like play little carnival games with the touchscreen and win Pokemon plushies for your secret base or something :}
It's probably just like the battle pike and stuff like that though :\

Anywho the region is pretty. That city really is gigantic... I wonder how big a role it plays in the storyline.

Isshu makes Sinnoh look like a building block town. I like idea of the underwater city, though; new idea for Gen. VI! The desert really is cool, haven't seen one since RSE. And the Dive waterways should make a comeback. At first I thought Isshu was a little weird, but now I think that it is pretty sweet. I have to see the floating rick cave! It sounds so cool! And I have an idea for a gym... I saw this in another thread, but the name escapes me. A Dark/Psychic gym. It goes with the theme of Black and White; dark/light, angel/demon. The gym was not originally my idea. I just think it would be super cool.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
It's probably pretty safe to say that while the region's geography is definitely based on New York (as opposed to Japanese regions as with the previous 4 regions), only Hiun city itself would bare any real resemblence to New York itself. As a region, it seems to be incorporating the geographical features of America as a whole within one region, and presumably the range of cultures available within too (here's hoping for some cowboys!).

It will be interesting to see if they treat it as its own unique culture based on American culture. Especially since we just had HG/SS, with the Johto region being massively based off Japanese culture and showing it more than any other region.

Well there was that one gameplay video showing the vertical street with the businesspeople moving hurriedly up and down it. That, to me, doesn't represent New York specifically, or really the USA.
If anything it reminds me of some of the streets in Tokyo.

It looks like this region has it all, desert, decent amount of water, mountains and forest area. I reckon the two iced mountains are where you go to get Reshiram or Zekrom, each mountain houses on of them. Hopefully that is actually an amusement park just below the middle. ;D

Looking at the left mountain range, if you follow the waterfall up the mountains, it goes to what looks like a secret castle/building/place. The structure above the center Pokeball shaped area has a cave to the southwest of it, too, as does a cave underneath the right mountain range, which is surrounded by trees. Does it lead to an area covered by clouds? I want to know what's in these caves/where they lead. VERY. BADLY.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
I got bored:

Click for full size (1833x1266)​

I decided I'd try and point out all the various locations within Isshu - and also to display the full map (as best I could with the materials anyway) as CoroCoro's original scan obscured some parts, while the latest clean image just plain cut off a whole load.

It seems to me that you begin off in the Eastern side of the region and begin fairly traditionally with a small town, a trip to a Professor's lab and a small starting city with presumably the first gym. There's also a traditional forest route that leads to Hiun - its prominence displayed so far makes me believe that you probably have to head there next.

It's difficult to attribute where the gyms for the region may be. For there to be 8, we'd have to assume that there is one in the city on the east, one in Hiun, one in the desert town, one in the fairground town/city, another in the Port city and that the windmill area, the hill top/side area and either the Black/White 'temple' or whatever it may be or the castle to the top right would have to be one as well to make 8.

The Pokeball park area could be a gym, but I'd find it odd for a gym to be a single building in a park, to be honest... Saying that, however, the actual function of that area completely escapes me, which makes me believe it may be related to a new game function - B/W's equivilent of contests/pokeathlon or something or other.

There's a lot of mystery about the region for sure, and I do have to take back some statements about it being typically American overall, because there are at least 3 castle structures on the western part of the region that combined with the windmills are definitely far more European in style than American. It could be that, in actual fact, the three islands represent Japanese, American and European cultures respectively from East to West...

Sir Red

Charms' Caped Crusader
Wow, Alex... That's some serious work on your part. I agree with most of what you said and pointed out. And I totally see what you mean by the far wester part being European influenced. The area with the windmills very much so reminds me of the Netherlands.

Also, another thing about Isshu as a whole that reminds me of America is the fact that there are two mountain ranges, one in the East and one in the West. Also, the one in the west is larger (albeit not by much, but still larger), which reflects the Rocky mountains being larger than the Appalachian Mountains.

Hmm, well, it looks like Isshu has more to it than we imagined. I really thought the Pokeball Park was a town/city. Looks like I was wrong... I also hadn't noticed the Huin bridge and the Random House is interesting... Most likely innaccessable until Post E4. If you ask me, the Eastern and Western mountains look pretty similar, other than shading. But to me all montains look the same. ^-^ The castle: Could be some temple or some random off-the-wall placed gym. Ya never know.

Well, Isshu's even more interesting to me now. For some reason I didn't even notice that there was a town in that desert XD The more intriguing thing is that we can't even really pinpoint the gyms in this region. Isshu also seems to have more random locations than Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, or Sinnoh and I have high hopes for them. I'm certainly looking forward to seeing things done in this region that we've never seen before.